Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Joe Biden visits Costco

Biden visits Costco

By BYRON TAU and DONOVAN SLACK | 11/29/12 9:42 AM EST

Vice President Joe Biden made an unannounced visit to Washington D.C.'s first Costco Thursday on the day of its grand opening.

Via the pool report: "He flashed his Costco card as he walked through the doors to loud cheers. Employee Ivey Stewart handled a cart for Biden, who stopped frequently for hugs and photos. Asked about whether he was optimistic about fiscal cliff negotiations, he said "I am."'

The Costco is located in Ft. Lincoln, a neighborhood in the northeast quandrant of the city near the Maryland line.

UPDATE: Biden bought several childrens' books, fire logs, a 32 inch Panasonic television and a "big" apple pie, according to the pool. The pool also reports that the vice president "availed himself of several Costco food samples, and looked like he enjoyed them."

Biden used the visit to urge Congress to pass the middle class portions of the tax cut, saying: "Consumer confidence is growing, the last thing we need to do is dash that."

by Anonymousreply 5012/01/2012

Stay the hell away from my apple pie!

by Anonymousreply 211/29/2012

Apple pie? JOE!!

by Anonymousreply 311/29/2012

Love me some Uncle Joe!

by Anonymousreply 411/29/2012

Why all the fuss about an apple pie? Didn't you guys ever see that movie "American Pie"? Heh heh.

by Anonymousreply 511/29/2012

Pics at the HuffPo article.

by Anonymousreply 611/29/2012

Apple Pie is clearly a symbol of his new role in politics!

by Anonymousreply 711/29/2012

[quote]Biden used the visit to urge Congress to pass the middle class portions of the tax cut, saying: "Consumer confidence is growing, the last thing we need to do is dash that."

Why is Congress at Costco?

by Anonymousreply 811/29/2012

Not a member but see a lot of hype around Costco. Is it worth the $50?

by Anonymousreply 911/29/2012

Hey, the Apple Pie is to die for!

by Anonymousreply 1011/29/2012

Costco has the best produce in Houston. I find it worth the $50.

by Anonymousreply 1111/29/2012

r9, I don't think anything is worth me paying $50 simply to allow me to spend more money.

by Anonymousreply 1211/29/2012

Northeast D.C.? He's lucky he made it out alive!

by Anonymousreply 1311/29/2012

They have an excellent meat dept R9. They are one of the few chains that do not sell "pink slime" ground beef. Good prices on prescription glasses and electronics.

by Anonymousreply 1411/29/2012

R9, I have some excellent meat myself.

by Anonymousreply 1511/29/2012

AND, they pay a living wage (average: $17/hr) to their employees and give them health insurance.

That's why we should shop there.

by Anonymousreply 1611/29/2012

The former CEO also gave himself a salary of 350K and put the money back into the company and employees benefits. He would go out of his way to get to know as many of the employees as he could and would go around to the stores and visit with them.

That is a good boss.

by Anonymousreply 1711/29/2012

Costco is a big backer of the Democratic Party.

by Anonymousreply 1811/29/2012

I can easily pay for my $50 Costco membership in one visit.

I buy produce, meat and dog food there, along with quite a variety of other things. They've got a great frozen foods department. My last TV set came from there, and it was quite a deal.

I agree with the poster above who likes supporting Costco because they take care of their employees. That's a big plus.

by Anonymousreply 1911/29/2012

I used to work with a woman whose husband couldn't find a job in his chosen field and went to work for Costco. He started out at night in the back receiving and stocking. He loved it there and was quickly offered a management position. They always move people up from within. He was a big time conservative though and about croaked when he found out that Costco backed the Democrats.

I laughed at that.

by Anonymousreply 2011/29/2012

Joe Biden's big day out: a trip to Costco – in pictures

The vice-president went shopping for presents and to highlight the Obama administration's plan for middle-class tax cuts during fiscal cliff negotiations. At the opening of Washington DC's first Costco, Biden sampled baked goods, ate ice cream, picked out children's books and joshed around with the employees

by Anonymousreply 2111/29/2012

[quote]Not a member but see a lot of hype around Costco. Is it worth the $50?

It depends. There are a lot of great things about Costco that have nothing to do with buying a dozen rolls of paper towels at a time. The pharmacy, liquor store, OTC meds, produce and meat, for example.

If you are actually interested, go try it out. I assume they'll give you a one-day pass at customer service. Just keep in mind that for it to actually save you money, you need to go on a semi-regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 2211/29/2012

Check out promos online. When I got my Costco card for $50, they sent me a $50 Costco gift card.

by Anonymousreply 2311/29/2012

I think two people can get a $50 membership and split it and each gets a card.

You can also get a Costco member to buy a costco gift card for you. Members and non members can shop with a gift card, but only members can buy them.

by Anonymousreply 2411/29/2012

Their gas is frequently the cheapest in town. If it's out of the way for you, that's probably not a great enticement, but our CostCo is about $.20-.30/gallon cheaper than most places.

by Anonymousreply 2511/29/2012

R25 Ditto on the gas. I have a Costco about two miles from my house, and while there are usually long lines at the pumps, if I go before the store opens or after it closes (the pumps are open longer) I can usually get in and out quickly. I don't know if it would be worth driving 20 miles out of your way, however.

by Anonymousreply 2611/29/2012

Okay, I'll admit that I'm a Biden fan, but an interesting to see in photos of him is the body language of those around him -- people are smiling, getting close to him, generally giving the impression that they believe him to be a nice, friendly guy.

by Anonymousreply 2711/29/2012

some seem to be rolling their eyes, but in a joking friendly way.

by Anonymousreply 2811/29/2012

The products they sell are extremely high-quality, their prices are dirt cheap, their customer service is excellent, and unlike many other retailers (Walmart, Target, etc.), they treat their employees decently and give money to Democrats. What's not to like?

I love a lot of their stuff, especially their chocolates and cheeses. Their house brand dog food, Kirkland, is super cheap and extremely high quality (it's something like $27 for a 40-pound bag). Best of all are their prescription drugs. If you don't have health insurance and your meds are generics, Costco is a godsend. They steeply discount generics, which means that, for example, I am paying only $40 a month for meds that CVS tried to charge me almost $500 for!!

It's more than worth the $50 per year membership.

by Anonymousreply 2911/30/2012

There's Uncle Joe, he's a movin' kinda slow, at the Costco...

by Anonymousreply 3011/30/2012

How much does an eye exam cost out of pocket at Costco?

by Anonymousreply 3111/30/2012

I think I paid $65 for the exam R31 but the real savings is on the frames and lenses. I got 2 pair, one regular pair and a pair of sunglasses for about $135.00. Supposedly they are the least expensive place for glasses.

by Anonymousreply 3211/30/2012

We love Costco! Best meat ever. You will love everything you buy there.

by Anonymousreply 3311/30/2012

I love Costco. SAMs Club is a poor imitation

by Anonymousreply 3411/30/2012

He's crafty, ol' Uncle Joe.

Goes to Costco surrounded by photographers, buys some stuff, *looks at watches but doesn't buy one*, leaves. Hint hint hint. Paging Dr. Jill Biden and Beau Biden, Joe wants a new watch for Christmas.

I hope they buy him one. If they don't then I hope that the President does.

by Anonymousreply 3511/30/2012

Ditto on the glasses.

Got progressive lens glasses there for $198 when LensCrafters wanted $650.

by Anonymousreply 3611/30/2012

Sam's has cheaper gas.

by Anonymousreply 3711/30/2012

I wonder who's getting the 32" Panasonic television

by Anonymousreply 3811/30/2012

At Costco I saved just over $300 on two pair of glasses, compared with the quote I got from Lens Crafters.

by Anonymousreply 3911/30/2012

Sometimes Sam's has cheaper gas, but just as often it's Costco. Most of the time a grocery chain that opened a gas store has the best prices locally.

by Anonymousreply 4011/30/2012

After reading this thread, I think I'm finally going to have to convince my partner to split a Costco membership with me. We're in our 20s and struggling financially, and have been doing most of our shopping at Walmart since that's what we can afford, even though it makes us both fucking sick to support them. (Not to mention that at Walmart, you're really getting substandard quality in exchange for those low prices on almost everything, from electronics to food. Don't fucking get me started on their produce.) I've been really hesitant to plunk down the $50 considering our financial situation, but if it means I don't have to set foot in fucking Walmart once or twice a week ever again AND get the added benefit of supporting a liberal company, then fuck it.

by Anonymousreply 4211/30/2012

R41, kiss my ass on the way back to Freeperland, mm'kay?

by Anonymousreply 4311/30/2012

[quote]No one even knows who he is. He could walk down the street and yell I'm Joe Biden, no one would even know who he was or what the name means.

God, Freepers are truly crazy, aren't they?

[quote]Bull shit publicity. Of course you can bet he paid with food stamps, Obama's new currency for America.

Batshit, bughouse, bar-the-door and get-the-straitjacket crazier than a goddamn shithouse rat.

by Anonymousreply 4411/30/2012

How well are YOU doing, R41? Are you a millionaire yet? You should be with your staggeringly impressive work ethic, since that's all it takes, right?

Why are you wasting your time posting here, anyway? Shouldn't you be working like a dog every single second to achieve your dreams of becoming filthy rich like the freeper overlords whose altar you worship at?

by Anonymousreply 4511/30/2012

J'adore Joe.

I love how he has reached this iconic status like few other VP's I can remember.

People really relate to him, in a grandfatherly or fatherly or uncle-y or whatever kind of way. He is kinda campy, actually.

I think he would make a faboo Presient, and this may just be kicking off his campaign. Judging from the photos, African Americans seem to love him, especially with Obama endorsing him as America's "happy warrior."

2016 will be very interesting, because it seems like people are already jockeying for position.

by Anonymousreply 4611/30/2012

Joe Biden is so cute. I can't help but smile when I see him in photos. I say he's as charismatic, if not more, than Obama.

by Anonymousreply 4711/30/2012

The White House put up a great video from his trip on its YouTube channel.

by Anonymousreply 4811/30/2012

r32 and others, thanks for the information about the vision center prices.

Oh I love that guy at the beginning of the video in r48 who takes off his cap before he shakes Biden's hand!! What a gentleman; I hardly ever see men who know or care about proper hat etiquette these days.

by Anonymousreply 4912/01/2012

R42, Trader Joe's is, like Costco, another good place to shop, especially if you're socially conscious and financially strapped. Trader Joe's is pretty much a straight-up supermarket, unlike Costco, which also sells everything from electronics to clothes to furniture to gas. But Trader Joe's, like Costco, offers very low prices, very high quality, and excellent customer service, and it also treats its employees well.

Many/most of Trader Joe's products are environmentally friendly, and the food products they sell don't use artificial or genetically modified ingredients. The upside of Trader Joe's vs. Costco is that you don't have to pay a $50 membership. The downside is that most of the products sold there are under the Trader Joe's brand, whereas Costco offers its house brand (Kirkland) as well as name brands. The Trader Joe's brand items are almost always pretty high quality, though.

by Anonymousreply 5012/01/2012
Need more help? Click Here.