Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Michigan Teacher, Suspended For Allowing Student To Play Gay Song In Class

A Michigan-based performing arts teacher has been suspended for playing a song about being gay to her students in class.

Susan Johnson, who teaches at South Lyon's Centennial Middle School, said one of her eighth grade students asked if he could play a song in class. The tune in question was "Same Love," performed by Seattle-based hip-hop artist Macklemore and produced in support of marriage equality.

"I asked him a few questions about the song...if it was violent, if there was any profanity, and he said no," Johnson told WJBK. "I really love my kids and I never want to hurt them, but I also know that there's a lot of bullying and there's a lot of gay bashing and racial issues going on in our country and I want the kids to feel comfortable in my class no matter who they are."

Not all faculty shared Johnson's enthusiasm, however, and the teacher was told she would be suspended for a total of three days -- two without pay -- after a student claimed they were offended by the song's content. Centennial Middle School officials would not comment on the suspension, but Johnson provided paperwork to the news channel which claimed she should have asked permission to play the song, which contains controversial content including "homosexuality, religion, politics views and a sexual slur."

by Anonymousreply 1811/30/2012

Clay Akin's music is bad, sure, but suspending a teacher over it is going too far.

by Anonymousreply 111/29/2012

For once it would be nice for school administrators to stand up for teachers instead of quivering in their knees about every little parental complaint.

One offended student out of an entire class is not a major problem.

No wonder fewer and fewer people want to go into teaching. You're pretty much fodder to be thrown under the bus at any time by the principal's office.

by Anonymousreply 211/29/2012

If we couldn't play gay songs, there'd be no Christmas!

by Anonymousreply 311/29/2012

Michigan is turning into Iranzona.

by Anonymousreply 411/29/2012

what part of michigan? That shit wouldn't fly in Kalamazoo!

by Anonymousreply 511/29/2012

Sure it would. South Lyon is more sophisticated than Kalamazoo.

by Anonymousreply 611/29/2012

The hidden underlying problem here is that the GOP is telling parents schools are there to serve THE PARENTS, not the interests of society at large. And that's not the case.

by Anonymousreply 711/29/2012

If she were suspended for allowing a kid to play an antiabortion song, the fundies would be all "Freedom of speech, freedom of religion!"

by Anonymousreply 811/29/2012

Next they won't be able to play songs by gay artists, and then gay composers ... that won't leave much.

He should've sung "Guy Love."

by Anonymousreply 911/29/2012

Should've played "Animal Style."

by Anonymousreply 1011/29/2012

THIS is why teachers are in UNIONS!

by Anonymousreply 1111/29/2012

Shame on the school. An act like this sanctions even more intolerance. I called the school to voice my complaint. If you think suspending the teacher is wrong, call the school to tell them: (248) 573-8600

by Anonymousreply 1211/29/2012

The school officials said that they wish the teacher had picked something more hygienic and neutered like 'YMCA'.

by Anonymousreply 1311/30/2012

So thousands of Americans have died trying to eradicate the taliban in Afghanistan but the taliban rules most school districts in American and nobody does a thing about them.

by Anonymousreply 1411/30/2012

...pretty much

by Anonymousreply 1511/30/2012

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree

Hiding from his homosexuality

Go away, Kookaburra say

Being gay's OK

But I'm not that way....

by Anonymousreply 1611/30/2012

For my song, I've picked "Supermodel" by Ru Paul. I will now lipsynch for my life in front of the class.

by Anonymousreply 1711/30/2012

Seriously -- CALL THE SCHOOL! Tell them you disagree with their decision and the teacher's suspension. (248) 573-8600

by Anonymousreply 1811/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!