Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

OK ladies, I'm calling the Oscars now

Feel free to bump and gloat on Oscar night. I'll post my reasons inside.

Picture - Lincoln

Director - Steven Spielberg

Actor - Daniel Day Lewis

Actress - Jennifer Lawrence

Supporting Actor - Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Supporting Actress - Anne Hathaway

Original Screenplay - The Master

Adapted Screenplay - Lincoln

Foreign Film - The Intouchables

by Anonymousreply 37703/13/2013

Picture - Les Miserable

Actor - Hugh Jackman

Supporting Actor - Tommy Lee Jones

Original Screenplay - The Master

Foreign Film - The Intouchables

by Anonymousreply 111/29/2012

Best Picture - Les Miserables

Director - Tom Hooper

Actor - Hugh Jackman

Actress - Russell Crowe

Supporting Actor - Eddie Redmayne

Star of Tomorrow (special award crested for the occasion) - Amanda Seyfried

Original Screenplay - Les Miserables (because it's more original than anything else ever written)

Adapted Screenplay - Les Miserables

Foreign Film - Les Miserables (because it's French in origin, and Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe are Aussies)

Adapted Screenplay -

by Anonymousreply 211/29/2012

Best Picture - Lincoln

Director - Kathryn Bigelow

Actor - Daniel Day lewis

Actress - Nene Leakes

Supporting Actor - Matthew McConaughey

Supporting Actress - Sally Field

by Anonymousreply 311/29/2012

Lincoln - Oscar bait that actually deserves an Oscar. Populist yet intelligent, critics and audiences love it, it makes the Academy look noble. Argo is equally good but just doesn't have the same "now THIS is a Best Picture" feel. Les Mis is not going to win. It will underperform at the box office and whatever "old stuffy Academy" votes it could have siphoned off of Argo will be taken by Lincoln.

Spielberg - when he is on (Jaws, Raiders, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan), no one can touch his freakish sense of how the mass audience processes film. Scorsese is equally gifted, but doesn't have the sensibility that communicates equally and simultaneously to a 10 year-old and a 30 year-old and a 70 year-old. Ben Affleck's award is being nominated for Best Director when YOU'RE BEN AFFLECK. Yeah yeah, Spielberg already has 2, but I would argue (see above) that he should have 4.

Actor - DDL gives the best male performance of the year. Period. I didn't think anyone would pass the leads in The Master and was very wrong. I really don't think voters care that much about it being his 3rd and instead thinking "he clearly deserves it, but unless he walks on water this is the last one".

Actress - done deal

Sup Actor - possible category fraud/"I hated The Master" upsets from someone from Lincoln, a 3rd for DeNiro (my bet), a first for DiCaprio.

Sup Actress - she will win even if she has to call each and every voter and adopt an African tribe.

Screenplays - I would have said Moonrise Kingdom, but more people hate Wes Anderson than PTA. PTA also shows constant growth and daring while Wes picks out cute costumes. Lincoln for sure.

by Anonymousreply 411/29/2012

Oh, and The Intouchables because foreign film is always a mess and Amour is going to be too challenging.

by Anonymousreply 511/29/2012

Picture -Les Miserables

Director - Kathryn Bigelow

Actor - Hugh Jackman

Actress - Jessica Chastain

Supporting Actor - Philip Seymour Hoffman

Original Screenplay - Zero Dark Thirty

by Anonymousreply 611/29/2012

Bigelow is getting the best reviews for a director in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 811/29/2012

I think it's hilarious some of you think Hugh Jackman is going to beat DDL in "Lincoln."

It's like saying Meryl Streep should have lost for Sophie's Choice to someone like Olivia Newton-John.

by Anonymousreply 911/29/2012

[quote]I think it's hilarious some of you think Hugh Jackman is going to beat DDL in "Lincoln."

Sorry Lady, but Hugh Jackman triumphs in "Les Miserable" as much as your infallible Daniel Day Lewis sucked in "Nine". It's a horse race, and a good one, but Jackman is as desrving as Lewis.

by Anonymousreply 1011/29/2012

Oh, the "Les Miz" queens are starting to get feisty!!

by Anonymousreply 1111/29/2012

Yes, R8, great reviews always equal Oscar. Just ask Robert Altman, Stanley Kubrick, Sidney Lumet, Scorsese until it became too embarrassing to not give him one, Truffaut, Godard, Bergman, Kurosawa, HITCHCOCK.

She JUST WON a few years ago and it was a double win because of its historic nature. She will always be the first woman to win Best Director. I'm still amazed Streisand didn't read "James Cameron" just to keep the slot open. They're not giving her a 2nd for what looks like "Hurt Locker 2" no matter how good it is.

by Anonymousreply 1211/29/2012

There is no buzz at all about Les Mis except Hathaway cut her hair. Except, of course, from Theater Queens. Add a crowded Christmas movie season and you have a movie that does so-so business in the states and becomes "Winner of 4 GOLDEN GLOBES!!!" and is "snubbed" at the oscars. Its this year's "Dreamgirls".

Remember the comeback musicals were supposed to have after Moulin Rouge and Chicago? Oh right, it didn't happen because people don't like movie musicals anymore. Especially when they have crap like Travolta in fat drag.

by Anonymousreply 1311/29/2012

{quote]There is no buzz at all about Les Mis except Hathaway cut her hair. Remember the comeback musicals were supposed to have after Moulin Rouge and Chicago? Oh right, it didn't happen because people don't like movie musicals anymore. Especially when they have crap like Travolta in fat drag.

No Les Miz buzz? I bet you think you know what you're talking about. A genre can make a comeback if people actually make good films. "Hairspray" was a hit, it grossed over $200 million world wide and won awards. "Daniel Day Lewis's "Nine" was a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 1411/29/2012

[quote]No Les Miz buzz? I bet you think you know what you're talking about

So, you live in Chelsea?

by Anonymousreply 1511/29/2012

I'll wait for the Rotten Tomatoes score for Les Mis. Otherwise I think the OP's pics are pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 1611/29/2012

"Noine" was a disaster because it basically consisted of a director being asked, "Where's the script for the movie?" over and over.

The "Be Italian" sequence with Fergie was very good, however.

by Anonymousreply 1711/29/2012

Nine was shit because Rob Marshall had one good film in him and it was Chicago. I suspect you can substitute Tom Hooper and The Kings Speech this time, although Chicago actually had cinematic energy. John Adams, TKS - he basically does a wide angle close up and calls it a day. TKS was a movie of the week with superior acting.

by Anonymousreply 1811/29/2012

Les Miserable 9-2 odds on favorite to win Best Picture

by Anonymousreply 1911/29/2012

I think Amy Adams is going to be the suprise winner at the ceremonies.

LES MIS will win several of the technical awards, as well as possibly Best Picture and Director. I can't see THE MASTER getting any other nominations except perhaps Hoffman as Best Actor, which he clearly won't win. Adams will be the only chance that the academy has to reward the movie. Plus, Adams has been nominated several times already. She is overdue.

I just don't see Hathaway being the lock that everyone thinks she is. Sally Field has been getting just as much acclaim.

Best Supporting Actress is the least predictable of the awards.

by Anonymousreply 2011/29/2012

I sure hope Les Mis is good- but how can everyone know how good it is before it has even opened and been widely reviewed?

by Anonymousreply 2111/29/2012

OP's choices are idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 2211/29/2012

[quote]I can't see THE MASTER getting any other nominations except perhaps Hoffman as Best Actor, which he clearly won't win.

Hoffman will be up for supporting, so CLEARLY you don't know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 2311/29/2012

"although Chicago actually had cinematic energy."

My dear, fast editing does not equal cinematic energy. How cute.

by Anonymousreply 2411/29/2012

Whatever, watching The Kings Speech was like going to a funeral for someone you didn't care about.

And, just so you know, editing is what makes film unique from other art forms.

by Anonymousreply 2511/29/2012

that was to r20

by Anonymousreply 2711/29/2012

If anyone upsets Hathaway, it will be Field in either a sentimental "i want to see her cry" way or in a Lincoln sweep. Or backlash because it already feels like Anne has been campaigning for a year. She needs to tone it down or she'll be exiled to Winslet-ville.

In any case, it will be the most overwrought Oscar speech ever and clock in at 20 minutes as she thanks all the little people who will all think "leave me out of it, prom queen". There will be an awkward cut to her husband when she says "this is the greatest moment of my life". Plus the obligatory shout out to Meryl who will blow kisses back to her and think "and they said I was ugly". Whenever people go all "Oprah's Favorite Things Audience" because they won a gold statue of a naked man it makes me feel like I'm watching a slow motion car crash. In other words, it will be AMAZING.

by Anonymousreply 2811/29/2012

R26 The Master has an 85% rating at Rotten Tomatoes. So your opinion is clearly not fact.

Why did Pacino win for SCENT OF A WOMAN, Renee for COLD MOUNTAIN, Cate for THE AVIATOR? How many actors win for their best performances?

So far, the only reason why Anne is allegedly the clear cut winner is because she cut her hair.

by Anonymousreply 2911/29/2012

"The Master" lost all it's Oscar momentum because, well people actually saw it. It will probably only get Best Original Screenplay because that category is very weak with Les Miz, Lincoln and Argo all in the Best adapted category. And Philip Seymour Hoffman is supporting but Tommy Lee Jones will get number two before Hoffman will. Even Weinstein can't save this one.

by Anonymousreply 3011/29/2012

R30 loves Forrest Gump.

by Anonymousreply 3111/29/2012

[quote]How many actors win for their best performances?

Its a good question, actually. A lot. The usual problem is were they the best that year? GOOP was at her best in SIL, but others were still better. I think because the WTF wins get so much attention, it seems like its always the wrong winner.

I'd say...

Brando (either win could arguably be his best), DeNiro for Raging Bull, Gwyneth Paltrow, Halle Berry and Helen Hunt(not saying much), Sissy Spacek, Sally Field (Norma Rae), Jane Fonda for Klute, Daniel Day Lewis (either), Jodie Foster (SOTL), Liz Taylor (2nd), Hillary Swank (1st), Charlize may surpass Monster but it will be tough, same with Cotillard, Diane Wiest (2nd), Liza for sure, some (not me) would say M for Sophie, definitely Mira Sorvino, some would say Cher, I'd say Julia Roberts, Jack Nicholson (Cuckoos Nest), F Murray Abraham, Jamie Foxx, Jeremy Irons, Nicholas Cage, most would say Anthony Hopkins but he's been better in other films IMO, Alec Guinness, Adrien Brody, Peter Finch, Faye Dunaway...

All I know for sure is Al Pacino won for his worst at the time.

by Anonymousreply 3211/29/2012

[quote]R30 loves Forrest Gump

You mean "Forrest Gump" that won Best Picture and was nominated for thirteen Academy Awards with none to Sally Field?

by Anonymousreply 3311/29/2012

Well, r29, the audience rating at rottentomatoes is 60%. I admit, that is just my opinion that it sucked (and everyone who saw it with me) but I'm reading the buzz on Les Mis and pretty much everyone who's seen it is handing Anne the Oscar. 20 out of 26 experts have called it for Anne, btw. I'm not talking out my ass.

Don't believe me? Here. Click the link.

by Anonymousreply 3411/29/2012

I think DeNiro was just as good in Taxi Driver, Bang the Drum Slowly and Mean Streets as he was in Raging Bull. If not better.

Sissy? Coal Miners was good, but she was also excellent in Carrie and Missing.

Halle did her best work bar none in that Dorothy Dandrige movie (even though it was made for cable)

Nicholson was terrific in Last Detail and Chinatown. Cuckoo's Nest was good, but had they rewarded him in any of the years prior, he would not have gotten it for that.

Dunaway in Network has always divided people. I'd say Chinatown or Bonnie and Clyde were just as good, if not better.

by Anonymousreply 3511/29/2012

That's all valid, R35. With someone like DeNiro or Nicholson no one is going to agree. I stand by Dunaway in Network. Chinatown and B&C are safe performances. Network is a one-of-a-kind funny/scary performance. Way ahead of its time, she could have walked straight out of Fox News' programming office.

by Anonymousreply 3611/29/2012

When's it gonna be my year?

by Anonymousreply 3811/29/2012

Hugh can take the Golden Globe since there's a separate catgegory for Comedy/Musical. I don't think "Lincoln" fits either description, at least not intentionally.

by Anonymousreply 3911/29/2012

Have people seen Hathaway's performance? I'm confused as to why she's a lock other than studio hype and what must be a crazed PR team.

by Anonymousreply 4011/29/2012

yes people have seen Hathaway's performance. Press screening have been conducted and every single report singles out her performance as extremely string, if not a lock for academy consideration

by Anonymousreply 4111/29/2012

R41 Extremely string? Does she sound like a violin?

by Anonymousreply 4211/29/2012

[quote]Phillip Seymour Hopkins Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4411/29/2012

Hathaway and Les Mis publicists are working overtime. Even the usually accurate GoldDerby has turned into a Hathaway cheering ground.

by Anonymousreply 4511/29/2012

Jennifer Lawrence and Anne Hathaway....we older actresses are not voting for two ingenues...at least one lady winner has to be mature.

by Anonymousreply 4611/29/2012

for Supporting Actor:

if Di Caprio is good at all in the Tartentino movie he'll get it because it would be his 4th nom without a win otherwise I say DeNiro get his third.

by Anonymousreply 4811/29/2012

R43, you make good points about Dench, but what would she be nominated for? Best Marigold Hotel?

Isn't she more likely to get a supporting actress nod for Skyfall?

by Anonymousreply 4911/29/2012

[quote]Actress: Laugh if you want, but if Dench is nominated, she'll win.

Good one, and possibly correct.

[quote]Press screening have been conducted and every single report singles out her performance as extremely string, if not a lock for academy consideration

Press screenings are an industry PR circle jerk. If they want those free tickets to keep coming and Anne to give them an interview, they're going to say she's a lock. Yes, if her performance is extremely strong, she'll be nominated. That's usually how it works. And the other 4 women will also have extremely strong performances. I just don't believe Hollywood is hellbent on giving her an Oscar yet. She's not like Winslet with a record number of nominations in a short period or a Blanchett who deserved a "sorry, we fucked up" Oscar. I'd love to see Judi swoop in and snatch it.

Plus, Les Mis is going to tank.

by Anonymousreply 5011/29/2012

Well if we're going to take the Gold derby site remotely seriously at this point, then it should be noted that Helen Hunt received the second most number of votes for the supporting actres award. Her performance seems to be gaining momentum.

Then you have Sally Field. Comeback of the year at this point. With a story that every woman over forty can relate to. A much beloved film and television icon for the past forty years.

Next, Amy Adams. Three time loser. In Hathaway's age range. Like Hathaway, considered one of the best actresses working today. Unlike Hathaway, she's been nominated more multiple times. How many times until she wins?

In short, Anne's going to have to come with something better than a haircut and an annoying PR team for this one.

by Anonymousreply 5111/29/2012

Dame Judi's got a sure-fire Oscar nom next year, for "Philomena" - she plays a woman who was forced to live in a convent when she was younger and her son was taken away from her. Now, she's trying to find her adult son. I think it's a true story, too.

by Anonymousreply 5311/29/2012

Hathaway will probably say something snotty and hurt her chances.

Oprah: (Brokeback cast interview) do you feel your character knew how her husband and why her husband died.

Anne: Well, I think it is obvious.

everybody gasps/giggles awkwardly, Oprah looks insulted..

Oprah: well I guess it was over my head

Jake, Heath, Michelle: It's not obvious

(something close to that)

by Anonymousreply 5411/29/2012

Hathaway is a moron if she doesn't understand her performance was perfect in obscuring the truth about the death. Its absolutely her best scene ever, but apparently it was accidentally great.

by Anonymousreply 5611/29/2012

[quote]The rest? Oh, foo. Who cares?

I actually think you covered all of them, R43.

by Anonymousreply 5711/29/2012

[quote]They REALLY would like to give it to Jackman

OMG what is this alternate universe you live in? He is low, low A-list at best, high B most likely. He comes off as the poor man's version of an actual movie star, his movies like cheap knockoffs of big superhero franchises. If anyone wins because its time and they've made a lot of people a lot of money, it will be DiCaprio.

by Anonymousreply 5811/29/2012

[quote]Helen Hunt WILL NOT win two Oscars.

I know. Who does that bitch think she is?

by Anonymousreply 5911/29/2012

I signed a confidentiality agreement so I can't dish but Hunt is exactly what her name rhymes with....

by Anonymousreply 6011/29/2012

[uote]Did I miss some shift where Hugh Jackman is some major thespian destined to win an Oscar?

Was Roberto Benigni? Was Cuba Gooding Jr? Was Forest Whitaker? Was Jaimie Foxx? He was fantastic as Ray Charles and won for THAT performnace. Not every Oscar is for Lifetime Achievement, hello John Wayne, Art Carney, Jack Palance, James Coburn, Alan Arkin, Christopher Plummer. Jackman is a Tony Award winning actor.

by Anonymousreply 6111/29/2012

R46 is a parody post but I agree that most Academy members aren't going to vote for both Lawrence and Hathaway in one year.

I think there will be a groundswell of appreciation for one performance - if Hathaway botches the press circuit (very possible), she'll be pushed aside for Adams, otherwise watch for Chastain to take Best Actress after her undeserved loss last year.

by Anonymousreply 6311/29/2012

The tide is turning away from Hathaway and in Sally Field's favor. It will be a done deal once her interview with Oprah airs this Sunday night. Just watch...

by Anonymousreply 6411/29/2012

[quote] lot of people say GOOP winning was the worst, but looking at the performance without knowledge of what a snatch she is in real life, she was excellent in SIL and the role is arguably tougher than a heavy dramatic speechifying role like Elizabeth I

I dislike GOOP a lot. But she is a very skillful performer.

by Anonymousreply 6511/29/2012

oh year r64!!! Thanks for the reminder!!! Sally back on Sunday!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6711/29/2012

[quote]Laugh if you want, but if Dench is nominated, she'll win. She's considered under-honored by far, and her having macular degeneration wins sympathy and gives the sense that they'd better do it now rather than wait.

Not implausible at all. And the movie is making buckets of money, which doesn't hurt. And she's very good in it.

by Anonymousreply 6811/29/2012

Deb is a major thespian

by Anonymousreply 6911/29/2012

r59 - I agree that HS deserved the first. I have never been able to watch the other movie.

You say Helen Hunt should not even have been nominated. She was not only nominated but she won. Maybe others see something in her performance that you are unable or unwilling to see.

I love the movie. It's not the best movie ever made but it makes me feel good. Dame Judi may have given a better performance. I like "Mrs. Brown" too. Neither performance blew me away though. HH was just as deserving as Dame Judi.

by Anonymousreply 7011/29/2012

[quote]She was not only nominated but she won. Maybe others see something in her performance that you are unable or unwilling to see.

The movie was a hit from James L Brooks and Nicholson made her look good. She'd also come off a zillion Emmy wins for the show no one actually watched, so I think the idea was it was the first of many great roles, not a turd signaling future horrors. That old guy from E! is also terrible, like he thought he was doing a dinner theater show of Boys in the Band.

by Anonymousreply 7111/29/2012

I thought Helena Bonham Carter was the best of the nominees that year, but she was lucky just to be nominated for Wings of the Dove. Alison Elliot was also wonderful and better than the actual supporting actress winner Kim Basinger, now THAT is an undeserving/underwhelming performance.

Chastain is not getting the kind of raves that Lawrence got. Critics are loving the film but it seems like her character is more subtle, or not as baity as many people thought. The Hunger Games will also be a plus for Lawrence: The people/critics loved her Katniss and the film was a major hit.

by Anonymousreply 7211/29/2012

[quote]Was Roberto Benigni? Was Cuba Gooding Jr? Was Forest Whitaker? Was Jaimie Foxx?

Benigni was a big star in Italy at the time (its in Europe, where they also make movies). Cuba was excellent in Boys in the Hood. Forest Whitaker? Really? Do you know anything about actors? IMDB him you idiot, he's been working since the Reagan era. Jamie Foxx had showed a lot of promise. If those are the only examples you have, then they're exceptions that prove the rule. Interesting that one is a foreigner and the other three are black. I'm sure that's a coincidence.

You don't have to be a thespian, it just seems like suddenly its common knowledge that Hugh Jackman is in the company of Day lewis, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and other actors who do challenging work instead of boxing robots and wearing long nails and fake fur between workouts and steroid injections.

by Anonymousreply 7311/29/2012

Its also the 50th year of Bond so the studio could market her as a symbolic victory. She was fabulous, so why not.

by Anonymousreply 7411/29/2012

More on Oscar. . .

by Anonymousreply 7511/29/2012

[quote]The tide is turning away from Hathaway and in Sally Field's favor.

Sweety, "Les Miserable" hasn't even opened for the unwashed masses to see. Wait six weeks and get back to us.

by Anonymousreply 7611/29/2012

straight male academy members will not love Les MIZ

by Anonymousreply 7711/29/2012

Just who is Hathaway's publicist - Stephen Huvane isn't it? Would explain a lot. He can't rein anyone in. Look how silly Jen Aniston and Goopy looks half the time.

I think Kevin Huvane is her agent isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 7811/29/2012

Who was asking for a movie of Les Mis? Who is the audience they're expecting? Old fraus who were at the opening of the musical 30 years ago? They stopped going to movies once Patrick Swayze stopped working. It looks dank and sad with some skinny boy crying and singing and that asshole who was in Gladiator and used to be big stuff. And Sasha Fucking Baron Cohen, who must have made a pact with Satan or has incriminating photos of Harvey Weinstein.

by Anonymousreply 7911/29/2012

looks = look (above)

by Anonymousreply 8011/29/2012

Well, begging worked for Kate Winslet and didn't hurt Melissa Leo. If I was an actor, I'd want that thing as soon as possible and keep a photo of Glenn Close in my dressing room. But there are ways to do it without the public being aware of it.

by Anonymousreply 8111/29/2012

[quote]straight male academy members will not love Les MIZ

Neither of them?

by Anonymousreply 8211/29/2012

The costume and art direction branches aren't strong enough in numbers to push Les Mis over the top.

by Anonymousreply 8311/29/2012

Picture - Les Miserable

Actor - Hugh Jackman

Supporting Actor - Leo DiCaprio

Sorry bitches, but Les Mez and Anne Hathaway are a lock to win!

by Anonymousreply 8411/29/2012

[quote]The tide is turning away from Hathaway and in Sally Field's favor. It will be a done deal once her interview with Oprah airs this Sunday night. Just watch...

Anne is winning the Oscar, so get over it!

by Anonymousreply 8511/29/2012

She will win it posthumously.

by Anonymousreply 8611/29/2012

Sally Field, bang, that's it. And DDL. And Kushner. And Kathryn Bigelow. And That dreadful musical for Best Picture, because it's going to make a zillion dollars. And it'll be a festival once again of white people congratulating themselves.

by Anonymousreply 8711/29/2012

The Master was such crap. And old news. It is not going to win anything.

by Anonymousreply 8811/29/2012

Best Picture-Les Miserables

Best Director-Steven Spielberg

Best Actor-Hugh Jackman

Best Actress-Jessica Chastain

Best Suppprting Actor-Eddie Redmayne

Best Supporting Actress-Anne Hathaway

by Anonymousreply 8911/29/2012

R90,

Best Actress, Racist Troll @ R90, because all nine of the individuals who have been nominated in that category once have never been nominated specifically in that race a second time.

1954: Dorothy Dandridge, "Carmen Jones" (lost to Grace Kelly, "The Country Girl")

1972: Diana Ross, "Lady Sings the Blues" and Cicely Tyson, "Sounder" (lost to Liza Minnelli, "Cabaret")

1974: Diahann Carroll, "Claudine" (lost to Ellen Burstyn, "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore")

1985: Whoopi Goldberg, "The Color Purple" (lost to Geraldine Page, "The Trip to Bountiful")

1993: Angela Bassett, "What's Love Got to Do With It" (lost to Holly Hunter, "The Piano")

2001: Halle Berry, "Monster's Ball" (won; she beat Judi Dench, "Iris"; Nicole Kidman, "Moulin Rouge"; Sissy Spacek, "In the Bedroom"; Renee Zellweger, "Bridget Jones' Diary")

2009: Gabourey Sidibe, "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire" (lost to Sandra Bullock, "The Blind Side")

2011: Viola Davis, "The Help" (lost to Meryl Streep, "The Iron Lady")

by Anonymousreply 9111/30/2012

[quote]every single report singles out her performance as extremely string,

"extremely string"?

If by that you mean thin and flimsy, I'd say that's a fair assessment.

by Anonymousreply 9211/30/2012

r32, Paltrow won for her best performance? For Shakespeare in Love? Are you on crack?

by Anonymousreply 9311/30/2012

Which exactly would be the better among her performances, r93? You're hardly talking about an embarrassment of riches among them... she's not a terribly gifted actress.

by Anonymousreply 9411/30/2012

pic - Argo

actor - Day-Lewis

actress - Riva

supporting actor - McKellan

supporting actress - Hathaway

director - Affleck

adapted screenplay - Argo

original screenplay - Django Unchained

documentary - How to Survive a Plague

by Anonymousreply 9511/30/2012

Good god r95 my eyes - Affleck for director? Never gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 9711/30/2012

I really think best actress will go to Sally Field. Everyone is saying Jennifer has it, but now doesn't seem like her time just yet. Plus silver linings looks boring as fuck

by Anonymousreply 9811/30/2012

r91, I think r90 was being satirical. r90, by the way, I'm a white guy who's tired of the unbearable whiteness of the American film industry. And whoever it was who said ARGO's winning anything is dreaming.

by Anonymousreply 9911/30/2012

[quote]1972: Diana Ross, "Lady Sings the Blues"

What were you going to nominate Diane for for the second time??? Mahogany? The Wiz???

You are so full of bullshit it's coming out of your ears and nose.

by Anonymousreply 10011/30/2012

Check out the big oscar prediction sites, r95. He's favored to win in many of them. His main competition are Spielberg, who has already won twice, Hooper, who won two years ago, Bigelow, who won four years ago for a modern war movie (the same genre she's represented by this year) and Russell (whose movie is not nearly as acclaimed as Affleck's).

by Anonymousreply 10111/30/2012

r98 Field's performance is supporting, not lead. She might win but Hathaway seems to have the momentum right now.

by Anonymousreply 10211/30/2012

MTV is already picking Anne Hathawy to win the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 10311/30/2012

Actually, r103, they are not picking her to win, they said that she is lock for a nomination and could well win. Those are two very different things.

by Anonymousreply 10411/30/2012

R100,

Re-read what R90 wrote.

Then you should be able to understand my response.

by Anonymousreply 10511/30/2012

The "Helen Cunt" rumors are old news. I'd like to hear examples, though. I totally believe it, she gives off a cunt vibe, but is still like to hear stories, for the sheer schadenfreude of it.

by Anonymousreply 10711/30/2012

Picture: Les Mis

Director: Tom Hooper

Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis

Actress: Jennifer Lawrence

Supp. Actor: Tommy Lee Jones

Supp. Actress: Anne Hathaway

Original Screenplay: Zero Dark Thirty

Adapted Screenplay: Lincoln

by Anonymousreply 10811/30/2012

Mark my words. Denzel and Quvenzhane Wallis will win Best Actor and Best Actress this year. They deserve to. Case closed.

by Anonymousreply 10911/30/2012

Why r109 because they are black?

by Anonymousreply 11011/30/2012

No. Because they gave the best performances of all the actors this year.

by Anonymousreply 11111/30/2012

Is Lincoln definitely going to be in adapted screenplay? It's only partially based on the book Spielberg bought the rights to. It was used by the first screenwriter who produced a script spanning the entirety of Lincoln's presidency.

by Anonymousreply 11311/30/2012

Dwight Henry for Best Supporting Actor. Best Supporting Actress, Sally Field maybe?

by Anonymousreply 11411/30/2012

I think it's marvelous that this year will be a horse race. So tired of sitting down to watch knowing ahead of time who exactly is going to win. With Seth MacFarlane hosting, I expect him to be fnny BUT classy, it should be a great show.

by Anonymousreply 11511/30/2012

Phillip Seymour Hoffman is the best actor of our time, lead or supporting.

by Anonymousreply 11611/30/2012

I'm TIRED of Phillip Seymour Hoffman already.

by Anonymousreply 11711/30/2012

Yes, someone please put that pasty grub back under the rock they found him under.

by Anonymousreply 11811/30/2012

[quote]Is Lincoln definitely going to be in adapted screenplay?

Probably. The script does an amazing job of making clear and entertaining the muddled business of how politics works in terms of getting votes. I expected it to be a biopic but its really a movie about politics.

by Anonymousreply 11911/30/2012

They start out as horse races and end up with spoonfed AMPAS members generally voting the common wisdom in a months long borefest.

by Anonymousreply 12011/30/2012

Most AMPAS members are incapable of independent thought; hence the dearth of good movies.

by Anonymousreply 12111/30/2012

[quote]Have people seen Hathaway's performance? I'm confused as to why she's a lock other than studio hype and what must be a crazed PR team.

I think your right about the film as a whole since the reviews aren't even in yet. However of the comments I have seen so far that aren't just Les Miz enthusiasts that will love it no matter what, everyone agrees she the most outstanding thing about it.

That doesn't mean she is better than Sally, I think some people are just picking sides based on personal likes and dislikes. Django hasn't been released yet so we don't know of there's a great supporting actress there.

But on this board everyone is just writing off Denzel and Joaquin in favor of DDL and Hugh who does not seem be getting the raves even in buzz like DDL and JP did.

by Anonymousreply 12211/30/2012

John Goodmann in Argo WILL WIN.

by Anonymousreply 12311/30/2012

[quote]Is Lincoln definitely going to be in adapted screenplay? It's only partially based on the book Spielberg bought the rights to.

There is no Best Partially Adapted Screenplay category and seeing there is some of Spielberg's book in there, it can't be an Original Screenplay

quote]I think your right about the film as a whole since the reviews aren't even in yet.

What do reviews have to do with it? Critics don't nominate Academy Awards, the members do. Plenty of films and performances have been nominated and won without the critic help. And the film was screened in NY and LA last week multiple times for Academy members and the "buzz" was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 12411/30/2012

Well you may be right but it's hard to say because people who didn't like it or were just so-so may not be as inspired to post their thoughts. There seemed to have been a lot of screenings. It's also weird that critics have to hold off publishing reviews. Wouldn't good reviews create even more buzz? There aren't any restrictions like that on 0-Dark-30 for instance.

by Anonymousreply 12511/30/2012

2 Words: Les Miserables

by Anonymousreply 12611/30/2012

Are any of you paying attention?

Have you SEEN a movie?

by Anonymousreply 12711/30/2012

Any buzz for Brad Pitt in "Killing Them Softly"?

by Anonymousreply 12811/30/2012

Why can't you queens keep up?

by Anonymousreply 13011/30/2012

The Academy is ready to give the Oscar to a musical, and "Les Miserables" is a sure bet. Anne Hathaway will get the Oscar, no way will she lose.

by Anonymousreply 13111/30/2012

[quote]Best Director will be Kathryn Bigelow because they wish they had her balls.

She's not going to win again for another war movie, Bigelow will not get the nomination.

Les Miserables has the Oscars wrapped up, and deservingly so.

by Anonymousreply 13211/30/2012

Tom Hooper already has an Oscar. Okay, Bigelow already has one, too, but her "already" is longer-ago than his. Watch the DGA give Bigelow its big prize. It'll happen. And where the DGA goes, Oscars follow.

You don't want Bigelow to win because you'd rather watch a movie where a pretty vulnerable white girl cries while she cuts off all her pretty hair.

It's disgusting how much you all enjoy the humiliation of women.

by Anonymousreply 13311/30/2012

R128, reviews have been glowing for Pitt (less so for the film itself) but not enough to warrant a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 13411/30/2012

Les Miserables is a great film, and Anne was wonderful in it.

by Anonymousreply 13511/30/2012

[quote]You don't have to be a thespian, it just seems like suddenly its common knowledge that Hugh Jackman is in the company of Day lewis, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and other actors who do challenging work instead of boxing robots and wearing long nails and fake fur between workouts and steroid injections.

I kind of love you R73.

by Anonymousreply 13611/30/2012

Someone should tell R 133 that Fantine is not the main character in the story & she's only in the beginning.

No R127 most people here haven't seen Miz or Zero.

by Anonymousreply 13711/30/2012

It'll be really hard for them not to give a prize to Brad Pitt, because he's been nominated a lot, lately, and there's a general sense that he's what Tom Cruise would be in TC weren't completely motherfucking insane. Pitt is the anti-DDL, and they represent opposite types of screen acting. The DDL type usually gets the prize, but if they want to give a second Oscar to John Wayne, they'll pick Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 13811/30/2012

[quote]Okay, Bigelow already has one, too, but her "already" is longer-ago than his. Watch the DGA give Bigelow its big prize. It'll happen. And where the DGA goes, Oscars follow.

Interesting you bring up the DGA. I know the AMPAS members as a body tend to be sheep, but I'd be interested to see how the DGA vote goes. Already there's been a consensus that Bigelow directed the shit out of ZDT while some have complained that Hooper's mise en scene tend to be well, not good, but the movie succeeds in spite of that. I doubt either one of them would win again so soon.

If I was betting, I'd put money down on Spielberg. Love him or hate him he's an American film institution. Yes he's already got two (for ET and Schindler's List), but that last one was almost 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 13911/30/2012

R138, Pitt isn't getting nominated this year. For what? That Roberta Flak movie is in terms of Oscars, (and possibly box office) DOA.

by Anonymousreply 14011/30/2012

People are really kind of bored by LINCOLN, truth be told. If there's credit to hand out, it'll go to Kushner and DDL. Sally Field will get her award for being America's New Good Mother, not for her performance in the film, which is really no big deal.

Me, I'd give the prize to Tarantino, no matter what he directs - no matter if he doesn't direct anything! - because he totally should have an Oscar by now.

by Anonymousreply 14111/30/2012

Yeah, okay, R141, you have a point about Tarantino, but I don't think he's in the conversation right now because no one has seen Django yet.

It and Lincoln might be a fun double feature.

by Anonymousreply 14211/30/2012

Pitt for KILLING THEM SOFTLY. Pitt has 3 acting nominations: 1 Supporting, 2 Lead. The Lead nominations were in 2008 and 2011. In 2011, he starred in 2 films that got critical notice: MONEYBALL and TREE OF LIFE. His reviews for TREE OF LIFE in particular were really strong, though he was nominated for MONEYBALL. I think he'll get another nomination this year, and then on his 5th or 6th nomination, he'll win. He'll take the Jeff Bridges route: Final Late Recognition.

by Anonymousreply 14311/30/2012

DJANGO/LINCOLN! Like MARAT/SADE!

by Anonymousreply 14411/30/2012

You people fawning over Anne Hathaway are hilarious with your "expert" summations. The Oscars are a big fucking joke and nothing but a popularity contest. I really, really like Sally.

by Anonymousreply 14511/30/2012

Tarantino does have an Oscar, you dipshit.

Everyone I know plans to see Lincoln and Argo at some point before the Oscars. No one has mentioned Les Mis, even to acknowledge it exists and will soon be in theaters. There is no audience for it.

by Anonymousreply 14711/30/2012

Ah, yes. No one r147 knows has mentioned Les Miz, therefore, there's no audience for it.

The fact that all the trades and mainstream press are mentioning it - a lot - is meaningless because r147's friends aren't interested.

And they're such devout cineastes that they "have plans to see Lincoln and Argo at some point before the Oscars." Yes, those are true moviegoers.

by Anonymousreply 14811/30/2012

R146, the fact that we loathe idiot cunts like you (whatever your nasty parts) does not mean we don't appreciate the non-simps in the acting profession.

Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Helen Mirren, actresses who are younger who have a backbone - where the hell do you get off thinking you can speak about gay women-haters who only love little girls and moms?

You reeking ass - you've never heard of Bette Davis and Joan Crawford and the gay contingent that sustains their legacy?

Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 14911/30/2012

Best Picture: Les Miserables

Best Actor: Hugh Jackman

Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence

Best Supporting Actor: Russell Crowe

Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathawy

Best Director: Tom Hopper

by Anonymousreply 15011/30/2012

Tarantino doesn't have a Best Director Oscar, you huffmeister upthread. And he needs one.

by Anonymousreply 15112/01/2012

[quote]And he needs one.

Why? He's a complete hack.

by Anonymousreply 15212/01/2012

Do Oscar winners ever masturbate with their statues?

by Anonymousreply 15312/01/2012

[quote]DL is full of woman-haters, and the women they prefer to like are boring little white girls or sweet sweet moms: Hathaway and Field. Women who actually live in the world are too much for these DL silly-billys.

such as.... who should we like?

by Anonymousreply 15412/01/2012

Well, r152, de gustibus non disputandum, but I liked INGLORIOUS BASTERDS better than any other film that year. A gorgeous piece of movie-making. Tarantino is the opposite of a hack. Nora *Ephron* was a hack, may she RIP. Tarantino is an artist, as far as I'm concerned, even though some of his films don't work.

by Anonymousreply 15512/01/2012

[quote]DL is full of woman-haters, and the women they prefer to like are boring little white girls or sweet sweet moms:

This

by Anonymousreply 15612/01/2012

That thought deserves its own thread, r153.

by Anonymousreply 15712/01/2012

Sorry, it's Annie's. I NEVER lose the office pool.

by Anonymousreply 15812/01/2012

I think some of you lie in bed at night sobbing into your pillow "Les Miz CAN'T win the Oscar. It just CAN'T!!!"

by Anonymousreply 15912/01/2012

[quote]DL is full of woman-haters, and the women they prefer to like are boring little white girls or sweet sweet moms

This is the most idiotic comment ever made on DL. You're projecting your own feeling dear

by Anonymousreply 16012/01/2012

[quote]Pitt for KILLING THEM SOFTLY. Pitt has 3 acting nominations: 1 Supporting, 2 Lead. The Lead nominations were in 2008 and 2011. In 2011, he starred in 2 films that got critical notice: MONEYBALL and TREE OF LIFE. His reviews for TREE OF LIFE in particular were really strong, though he was nominated for MONEYBALL. I think he'll get another nomination this year, and then on his 5th or 6th nomination, he'll win. He'll take the Jeff Bridges route: Final Late Recognition.

The film came out to mixed reviews and flopped at the box office. No nomination for Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 16212/01/2012

[quote]But powerful independent women - Madonna, Hillary, Patti LuPone - women who see what they want and take it

but none of them were in a movie this year so.....we are kind of left with Hathaway and Field when discussing Best Supporting Actress

and Lupone is powerful and independent like Hillary and Madonna? No.

by Anonymousreply 16312/01/2012

[quote]You queers can't let yourselves be called out, can you?

LOL.... Not by clueless, trolling morons.

[quote]Go on hating women, go on killing yourselves.

Dear heart, those two sentences have nothing to do with one another. But then, you already know that and you're just here to troll.

by Anonymousreply 16512/01/2012

As long as Sally Field doesn't win anything. Which, of course, she won't.

I think people are underestimating DeNiro's "comeback" in The Silver Lining Playbook. The Academy will be pleased he's putting some effort into his acting again. Watch him beat PSH for best supporting.

The best female performance this year, far and away, was by Emmanuelle Riva in Amour. Sadly, I don't think she will win.

Oh, and Meryl gave one of the strongest, most underrated performances of the year, in Hope Springs, naturally. No, she won't be nominated - that's because she just won, and is going to win again in 2014. The Academy is giving her a well-deserved break.

That's all.

by Anonymousreply 16712/01/2012

I see r166, then according to your r161 post, having the good taste to know that Madonna can't sing or act her way out of a wet paper bag, is also at the root of homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 16812/01/2012

Streep was awful in "Hope Springs." One of the rare times she hasn't been able to elevate a lousy script. She's had her share of stinkers, but she's usually able to ac her way around the script. This time she couldn't. It was the only time I've been embarrassed for Streep - that she would accept such a rotten project.

by Anonymousreply 16912/01/2012

And Streep won't win in 2014. Judi Dench in Philomena will. Her macular degeneration trumps anything Meryl will bring to the table. It'll be a few more years before they give Streep a fourth (if indeed they ever do.)

by Anonymousreply 17012/01/2012

"It'll be a few more years before they give Streep a fourth (if indeed they ever do.)"

The Streep doubters kept repeating that same line ad nauseam last year ("if indeed they ever give her a third one"), and look what happened. Silly fools!

Streep was all kinds of wonderful in Hope Springs. Check out the reviews on rottentomatoes! The thing with Streep is: she keeps being so radically different from film to film that we've come to expect it, and no longer notice that side of her genius.

NO female actor except perhaps Tilda Swinton keeps challenging herself that much with disparate roles, every single time.

She could be the female Pacino/Hoffman/Nicholson, legends who've given up on acting a long time ago. Instead of resting on her laurels, she seeks out roles that will show a new side to her acting.

Not only did Meryl deliver very subtle work in Hope Springs, but she inspired Tommy Lee Jones to depart from his usual acting style as well. Hard work!

She was great, great, great in Hope Springs.

And she WILL rule with Osage County - and WIN!

As she should do.

by Anonymousreply 17112/01/2012

Dude, I love Meryl as much as anybody does, but she was all wrong for HOPE SPRINGS, and it was an awful awful film. It was a part for like Imelda Staunton or maybe Kathy Bates, not Meryl. And there was NO WAY to believe she'd ever be so drippy and meek, especially after she had just played the 20th century's maybe most powerful woman, and been repeatedly and publicly anointed the 21st century's greatest actress. She cannot do insipid.

by Anonymousreply 17212/01/2012

Tarantino is a dreadful director. "Inglorious Bastards" was garbage, and no one in 10 years will care what Tarantino does. The guy is a hack who grinds out kitsch that middlebrows think is art (when they themselves would not know art if it bit them on the balls).

"Les Miserables" is a snore, but unfortunately there are enough lowbrows and middlebrows who will enjoy it.

"Lincoln" is a great film, but "Amour" is greater. The former will win for Best Picture, the latter for Best Foreign Film.

by Anonymousreply 17312/01/2012

Hope Springs was just one of those movies I do for the money....(all my housewife movies fall into that category) after all my husband hasn't had a job since 1977 and Mamie was just cancelled...you try supporting 4 artist kids and an artist husband on quality independent films....you need to cash a check once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 17412/01/2012

r172, she had played Julia Child before Margaret Thatcher. That's like saying she cannot play Thatcher, because no-one would believe that after her convincing Julia Child.

Needless to say, she was perfect as the mousy housewife.

She is neither Thatcher nor housewife in real life; she doesn't have to be to pull off these characters.

Your point makes no sense, while Meryl has added another great performance to her resume.

Next!

by Anonymousreply 17512/01/2012

M, you should know that your husband is an accomplished artist in his own field. I doubt he makes zero money.

by Anonymousreply 17612/01/2012

The Streep troll is no more opinionated than anyone else here, people just go after anyone who identifies themselves with a name.

I like watching movie buffs pontificate. I've barely participated in this thread, but I've enjoyed reading it.

by Anonymousreply 17812/02/2012

[quote] I think some of you lie in bed at night sobbing into your pillow "Les Miz MUST win the Oscar. It MUST!!!"

Fixed that for you.

by Anonymousreply 17912/02/2012

[quote]"Les Miserables" is a snore, but unfortunately there are enough lowbrows and middlebrows who will enjoy it.

Les Miserables is going clean up at the Oscars, so except it already!

by Anonymousreply 18012/02/2012

After seeing the clips they recently released, there's no way "Les Miz" is going go "clean up at the Oscars." It would have to be a big box office hit, but I don't see it being that. There is no audience for this outside of theater geeks and "Les Miz" fans. I predict it will open big (2nd or 3rd, but not 1st) due to a big fan base and curiosity, but bad word of mouth will kill it. Nobody's gonna wanna spend 2.5 hours in a sung-through musical, especially when the voices are terrible and the orchestra weak.

by Anonymousreply 18212/02/2012

R166, is misogyny the root of homophobia even if you're a total top?

by Anonymousreply 18312/02/2012

Please, another Oscar for my beloved Daniel Day-Lewis.

by Anonymousreply 18412/02/2012

[quote] And of course black women are beneath DL's contempt, as are all black people. DL thinks blacks and Latinos are useful only if they have dicks - big dicks, that is, though DLers subscribe to the racist misconception, of course, that there is such a thing as "black dick," and that it is always succulent and huge and aimed happily into somebody's little lily white mouth.

This.

by Anonymousreply 18512/02/2012

[quote]And of course black women are beneath DL's contempt, as are all black people. DL thinks blacks and Latinos are useful only if they have dicks - big dicks, that is, though DLers subscribe to the racist misconception, of course, that there is such a thing as "black dick," and that it is always succulent and huge and aimed happily into somebody's little lily white mouth.

I wouldn't say that is a DL thing...I'd say it is a world thing.

by Anonymousreply 18612/02/2012

Well the Most Beautiful Women threads here are pretty contemptible with their lack of black women listed. And Whitney Houston used as a token in every 4th or 5th post doesn't change that. Also, you'll see dozens of threads about even the most obscure, has-been, white pop singers, while far more successfully black artists are all but ignored. Elizabeth Daily is a good example. She was a failed 80s pop singer who only had one charting single, and it only made it #70, yet every year like clockwork there's another thread started about her.

by Anonymousreply 18712/02/2012

Best Actress - Meryl Streep, Hope Springs

Best Actor - Meryl Streep as Tommy Lee Jones in Hope Springs

Best Supporting Actress - Meryl Streep for a recent re-broadcast of Kramer vs. Kramer

Best Supporting Actor - Whoever Meryl Streep decides is worthy

by Anonymousreply 18812/02/2012

R173, INGLORIOUS BASTERDS, say what you like about it, was made by a filmmaker, not a hack. Tarantino is an artist of the medium, and he is in command of every aspect of his films, from writing to casting to directing actors to planning shots to discussing lighting and camera angles with his DP to editing to scoring. Along with the Coen Bros and PTA and Scorcese and Kathryn Bigelow and Spike Lee, he is one of the complete artists of contemporary US Cinema. Which is not to say their movies always work. But they are artworks.

And whoever thinks DL is not soecifically and excessively and peculiarly racist and woman-hating and vexed by a rash of self-loathing homophobia and contempt for girliness cannot read. DL posters believe in an abstract notion of the black man. They have never met anyone black, apparently, and so they can continue to cling to their fantasy of Mandingo: The Black Man, not an individual but an abstraction, whose giant penis is at the constant service of pathetic white men with lubed assholes and sticky fingers and their kaftans thrust aside to reveal their winking and prolapsed, hungry bossy anis.

by Anonymousreply 18912/02/2012

I did mean anus, not anis.

by Anonymousreply 19012/02/2012

I like black, white, any colour, the important thing is that they are men.

by Anonymousreply 19212/02/2012

This is why we can't have nice Oscar threads.

by Anonymousreply 19312/02/2012

Picture Zero Dark Thirty

Director Steven Speilberg

Actor Daniel Day lewis

Actress Jessica Chastain

Supp Actor Tommy Lee Jones

Supp Actress Helen Hunt

by Anonymousreply 19512/02/2012

[quote]After seeing the clips they recently released, there's no way "Les Miz" is going go "clean up at the Oscars." It would have to be a big box office hit, but I don't see it being that. There is no audience for this outside of theater geeks and "Les Miz" fans. I predict it will open big (2nd or 3rd, but not 1st) due to a big fan base and curiosity, but bad word of mouth will kill it. Nobody's gonna wanna spend 2.5 hours in a sung-through musical, especially when the voices are terrible and the orchestra weak.

Wow, you're judging an entire film based on less than five minutes of footage? A weak orchestra? If you come out of your little world, maybe you will find that the sound on a YouTube video might be slightly different than a movie theater. Yeah it will bomb, even with as you say "a big fan base" OK. Dude we get it, you don't like it, imagine if you actually saw it. Sit and wait for your "Follies" or "Company" movie. But Les Mis is a smash hit all around the world and people will see the film. Oh and for the record it doesn't have to be a box office hit to win the Oscar. Most films that win are not the biggest hits of the year. They make more money after the award than before.

by Anonymousreply 19612/02/2012

Well, Tarantino is a hack. And R189's overwrought and melodramatically silly post proves it in spades: only delusional folks can see the "artistry" in his crappy films.

by Anonymousreply 19712/02/2012

"Les Miserables is going clean up at the Oscars, so except it already!"

Except (oh dear!) it won't.

by Anonymousreply 19812/02/2012

HOPE SPRINGS is garbage. Streep has had two great movies within the last twelve years, PRADA and DOUBT.

Field should have gotten Streep's part in AUGUST. She's already acted alongside Roberts once, and they both worked well together.

I hope that Sally starts getting more big screen work. Meryl has had her few years of being the only one, but it's really time to let other women her age shine.

by Anonymousreply 19912/02/2012

R191 is a completely ignorant idiot who is completely unaware of just how ignorant he is. Amusing in a sad way.

by Anonymousreply 20012/02/2012

Les Mis and Zero Dark Thirty are the game changers:

by Anonymousreply 20112/02/2012

Best Picture CURRENT PREDIX: Amour; Argo; Beasts of the Southern Wild; Les Miserables; Life of Pi; Lincoln; Silver Linings Playbook; Zero Dark Thirty

Best Director CURRENT PREDIX: Ben Affleck (Argo); Kathryn Bigelow (Zero Dark Thirty); Tom Hooper (Les Miserables); Ang Lee (Life of Pi); Steven Spielberg (Lincoln)

From the above link, for the lazy.

by Anonymousreply 20212/02/2012

^^ deifying, not defying.

by Anonymousreply 20412/02/2012

And yet Sally is two for two in terms of oscars. The same number of best actress oscars Streep has.

And BTW, if Meryl should win another oscar next year (which is completely unlikely) it will still not put her ahead of Katharine Hepburn, who holds the record of four Best Actress oscars. A record that is unlikely to be broken anytime soon.

This is assuming she is even nominated for Best Actress to begin with. Good luck trying to get Roberts to take the backseat.

by Anonymousreply 20512/02/2012

"A record that is unlikely to be broken anytime soon"

See, this is where the Streep bashers lose all credibility. They were spouting how unlikely it was she would get a third Oscar - and voila, she was handed her third Oscar. Needless to say, you could see that coming a mile away.

Katharine Hepburn got her fourth Oscar as an octogenarian, and Meryl is in her sixties. She keeps churning out great performances, and is clearly beloved by the Academy.

A fourth AND fifth BEST ACTRESS Oscar are very likely, given that all the big roles are offered to Meryl first, a trend unlikely to abate in the next 20 years.

Heads will explode, and it will be delicious to witness it.

Meryl WILL make history. She will close her career with 5 competitive Oscars under her belt.

KH never deserved 4 Oscars. You know it, I know it. And the Academy will right that wrong.

And Sally Field... lol. Let's not even go there.

by Anonymousreply 20612/02/2012

[quote]She will close her career with 5 competitive Oscars under her belt.

What?!?!? And pass Walter Brennan? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 20712/02/2012

"And Sally Field... lol. Let's not even go there."

Oh, but we have.

Sally is tied with Meryl in terms of Best Actress oscars, is she not?

A fact that must really piss you off. But let's not be a coward about it. At least have the balls to say that Sally has the same number of awards.

Dems da facts. So your trite opinion of her really means nothing.

"A fourth AND fifth BEST ACTRESS Oscar are very likely"

VERY LIKELY? Oh, my dear.

When we try to present a point, we don't use words such a "very likely". Because it's fluff. A lot of things are "very likely". But until they happen, we don't know for sure.

So we don't know for sure that Meryl will win another oscar. And we don't know for sure that Meryl will surpass Kate's record of FOUR, count em FOUR best actress oscars.

As it stands, Kate has the record. And Meryl is two behind.

I deal with facts. You deal with opinions. Guess which wins?

Any other mindless drivel you need to add? I didn't think so.

by Anonymousreply 20812/02/2012

Oh, r208. Still bitter that Meryl WON this year. Yes, she won, and she also received one of the loudest and longest standing ovations in recent memory.

Yes, that made you angry. You wish all this hadn't happened. Good!

Sally Field ?? Bwahahaha....

Meryl has got THREE Oscars, one of which is for supporting - so she's easily above Sally Field, even by your pedestrian little sense of logic. Last time I checked, Sally hasn't got a supporting Oscar.

Meryl also has 17 - seventeen - nominations in total. That's fifteen more than SF's two shots at the Oscar, is it not?

If facts are your 'forte', you certainly haven't got much strength, darling.

Please let me quote Peggy Noonan for you: "Savor!"

by Anonymousreply 20912/02/2012

"Still bitter that Meryl WON this year."

I've not said that. You're getting very emotional and sounding a little unhinged.

"Yes, that made you angry. You wish all this hadn't happened. Good!"

OK. My, we sound sane.

"Meryl has got THREE Oscars, one of which is for supporting - so she's easily above Sally Field, even by your pedestrian little sense of logic."

I agree that Meryl has three oscars, but they're still tied in terms of Best Actress oscars, are they not?

It amuses me that you're skirting around that issue. That really bothers you, doesn't it?

"Meryl also has 17 - seventeen - nominations in total. That's fifteen more than SF's two shots at the Oscar, is it not?"

I agree that Meryl has more nominations. But Sally is two for two. Two times nominated. Two wins.

Meryl has three wins in seventeen nominations.

And Kate still holds the record for Best Actress oscars.

These are just facts, dear. No need to get so bent out of shape over it. But it's amusing to read.

by Anonymousreply 21012/02/2012

The DL Marker here.

Why is no one mentioning Tommy in "Rock of Ages". I predicted this months ago.

Mark my words. Tommy will get a nomination

by Anonymousreply 21112/02/2012

"It amuses me that you're skirting around that issue."

You are skirting around the issue that Meryl is a winner of three acting Oscars, and Sally is not.

"That really bothers you, doesn't it?"

No, it doesn't. I've already explained why she is above Sally Field, using facts - your category of choice.

This went over your head, but what else is new with you Streep bashers.

"And Kate still holds the record for Best Actress oscars."

That is true, but comparing them in this way (in your case: trying to belittle Streep's accomplishments) only makes sense once Streep's career is over - KH won three of her Oscars in old age.

"I agree that Meryl has more nominations. But Sally is two for two. Two times nominated. Two wins. Meryl has three wins in seventeen nominations."

It's charming how the Streep bashers try to suggest being nominated 14 times (and not winning) is proof of Meryl's shortcomings.

Sally Field never even managed to give one of the five best performances (according to the Academy) SEVENTEEN times. Forrest Gump was nominated for each and everything - except supporting actress. How embarrassing for her!

But what's more amusing is the word 'amusing' that posters like r210 throw about, to sound cool and above it.

If anyone is unhinged, trying hard to conceal it, it's the Streep bashers.

Meryl Streep is considered a giant of acting. Sally Field is chiefly remembered for her acceptance speech in 1985 - reduce to a running joke.

Sad, but true. Yet perhaps not surprising?

by Anonymousreply 21212/02/2012

R189 ruined his post by inexplicably including spike Lee, who made one good film 20 years ago and coasts on being loud and offended.

by Anonymousreply 21312/02/2012

OK, since M isn't in the running this year, can we please stop talking about her for two seconds?

by Anonymousreply 21412/02/2012

Technically she is in the running, r214.

She starred in a movie that came out this year.

by Anonymousreply 21512/02/2012

She's not in the running. MOVE ON.

by Anonymousreply 21612/02/2012

I saw an advanced screening of "The Guilt Trip" today and Barbra Streisand is really, really good in it. If she doesn't get an Oscar nomination, then something is wrong. She'll likely win the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Musical/Comedy.

by Anonymousreply 21712/02/2012

r216, she is in the running, however unlikely a nomination is. MOVE ON.

by Anonymousreply 21812/02/2012

By that logic, any actress with a film out this year is 'in the running.'

What a fucking pathetic twat.

by Anonymousreply 21912/02/2012

"You are skirting around the issue that Meryl is a winner of three acting Oscars, and Sally is not."

I said Meryl had three oscars in my last post.

You have yet to say that Sally has the same number of best actress oscars as Meryl.

Simply admit that Streep is tied with Sally Field in terms of Best actress oscars.

"Sally Field never even managed to give one of the five best performances (according to the Academy) SEVENTEEN times."

Sally was nominated two times, and won two times. Meryl was nominated seventeen times, and only won three times, having to wait almost twenty five years for her third.

If she was the "giant of acting" that you claim she is, then she clearly would not have had to wait so long.

Nominations are one thing, but remember that Susan Lucci has been nominated by the academy of television arts and sciences nineteen times. So that means that she managed to give one of the best performances of that year nineteen times.

That would trump Streep's record, then.

If you wait long enough for something, they will eventually give it to you.

"Meryl Streep is considered a giant of acting. Sally Field is chiefly remembered for her acceptance speech in 1985 - reduce to a running joke."

All opinion.

by Anonymousreply 22012/02/2012

Oh, excuse me. Streep had to wait almost THIRTY for her next win.

I'm not arguing with it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 22112/02/2012

"Streep had to wait almost THIRTY for her next win"

You mean like Katharine Hepburn herself?

by Anonymousreply 22512/02/2012

If the academy loved babs she'd have a directing nomination by now.

by Anonymousreply 22612/02/2012

"Argo will win because it points out how bad Islam is and the Jews love that."

The only thing hateful is you. What exactly are you saying? That the Islamic Revolution in Iran was a good thing for Iran, for Islam? Argo makes it very clear what an asshole the Shah was and how complicit the U.S. was in protecting him. It's a great film and certainly not anti-Muslim.

by Anonymousreply 22712/02/2012

I don't think Affleck will get nominated for Best Director.

So many great movies/great directors this season -- Spielberg, Hooper, Russell, Bigelow, Tarantino. The dance card is full and we haven't even gotten to Ang Lee, Paul Thomas Anderson, or Peter Jackson.

Argo is a well-made, crowd-pleasing movie. And yes, that's damning with faint praise.

by Anonymousreply 22812/02/2012

[quote]I don't think Affleck will get nominated for Best Director

Don't think.

by Anonymousreply 22912/02/2012

It's all over, bitches! Oprah's interview with the Spileberg, Day-Lewis, Field trifecta was just broadcast and Oscars are now assured for all three. The Director was inspiring and lovable as he spoke about Lincoln, his masterpiece. The Actor is not only the greatest living, but also a thoughtful and simply lovely man. And the Actress has proved why she, America's Sweetheart, has risen yet again like a phoenix from the ashes and her eloquent support of her gay son was truly breathtaking. Oprah, herself, graced this graceful film with her most powerful and convincing imprimatur. Can't wait until Oscar night!

by Anonymousreply 23012/02/2012

[quote]Regardless of what delusional queens here think, The Academny loves Streisand,

Hello? Do you not remember the big scandals when she Yentl was nominated for nothing major and The Price of Tides was nominated for everything except director?

they hate her. and the old guard REALLY hated her.

by Anonymousreply 23112/02/2012

Haven't seen Lincon or Les yet but I would love to see Sally win another Oscar. I'm also a Meryl fan but it would be cool if Sally got some good roles also...

by Anonymousreply 23212/02/2012

That was 20 years ago maybe they changed their mind...

by Anonymousreply 23312/02/2012

The Streep Loon ALWAYS sounds unhinged, r221, because it is. It's admitted it only comes here to rile people up.

And now - for a reason it probably doesn't even know - we know the Streep Loon is not an American.

Thank God it's not a home-grown lunatic.

by Anonymousreply 23412/02/2012

[quote]She keeps churning out great performances

Yes, that's correct. She churns them out, mechanically, just like buttermilk.

by Anonymousreply 23512/02/2012

Streep Troll, I adore you!

And I've already Fed Exed you this week's bowel movements, so you'll be eating hearty again starting tomorrow!

by Anonymousreply 23612/02/2012

[quote]she is in the running, however unlikely a nomination is. MOVE ON.

No, she's not. She's ELIGIBLE, but she's not on any of the awards sites int the list of 8 -10 actresses who might get nominated.

She won't be nominated. She undoubtedly doesn't even want to be nominated for Hope Springs. She knows everyone's sick of her, and she'd like to be fresher choice when her more worthy projects come out.

by Anonymousreply 23712/02/2012

Audiences aren't that sophisticated, R227. Argo presents crazed Islamic characters and white victims. That's as far as Americans will go, especially when Iran is seen in 2012 as THE threat to Israel.

by Anonymousreply 23812/02/2012

Oh, look, Lincoln appears to be a growing hit with word of mouth!

by Anonymousreply 23912/02/2012

Sally Field's work in Lincoln is her best yet. I can't imagine that Hathaway no matter how good she is in Les Miz could get the Oscar over Field. Hathaway gets one of the best and most famous songs in the show but the role has nothing else that compares with the material Field has in Lincoln. Field has much more screen time than Hathaway will get unless they add lots more Fantine to the film version.

by Anonymousreply 24012/03/2012

Sally Fueld is just not that interesting in LINCOLN. I mean, she's perfectly fine. But no big deal.

by Anonymousreply 24112/03/2012

Plus Hathaway sings "the Susan Boyle song". She's tainted by reality tv trash.

by Anonymousreply 24212/03/2012

Just go see Les Mis and then see what you think Hathaway's chances are. It may be only 20 minutes of screen time, but it's overwhelming.

I think Hathaway is a lock.

And I say this as someone who thinks Lincoln is the best movie of the year and the best movie Spielberg has ever directed.

by Anonymousreply 24312/03/2012

Anne is going to win the Oscar for all us "Les Mez" fans!

by Anonymousreply 24412/03/2012

There are snubs every year. Was it mentioned, sure as it's done every year,a scandal? No, because only one woman had ever been nominated before. BUT the picture still received five Academy Award nominations, for her first effort. If you think that's a bad thing, you ARE a delusional Queen. Maclaine had five nominations before she won hers, does that mean The Academy hated her all those years before? And since when is Shirley MacLaine been a spokesperson for The Academy? I might have a "limited remembrance" of Oscar history but I seem to remember when ole Shirl ruffled some old guard feathers when got up on stage and said she "deserved this" and some thought was ungracious. The point is, the Academy doesn't hate Streisand or she wouldn't have five nominations herself and two Oscars on the mantle.

Oh and I've talked to Shirley MacLaine too, and there's a reason she's an actress and not a Brain Surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 24712/03/2012

I was a brain surgeon in a past life, r247.

by Anonymousreply 24812/03/2012

Streisand not getting nominated for YENTL was no scandal. It was of passing interest because she would have been the first female director nominated, but that's all.

YENTL was a hit, but it wasn't universally loved. It got the nominations it deserved. No one would have been shocked if it had scored a picture or director nomination, but no one was shocked, either, that it didn't.

by Anonymousreply 24912/03/2012

I think it was a scandal that she wasn't nominated for "The Prince of Tides."

I say that as someone who in no way worships the ground she walks on.

"Bugsy"? I barely remember it.

by Anonymousreply 25012/03/2012

It most certainly was a big scandal when YENTL wasn't nominated. It's been covered in many oscar books. Ignore the trolls.

Streisand won the golden globe for best director and the movie won best musical or comedy. It wasn't projected to win the awards, but it was a frontrunner for the big nominations at the oscars.

Plenty of women in Hollywood were outspoken in what they thought was blatant sexism. Shelley Winters even went so far as to call for a recount. Shirley Maclaine said it diminished her own nomination.

And who could forget Mrs. Walter Matthau getting into it with Issac Singer over his comments, calling him a cranky old man?

by Anonymousreply 25112/03/2012

Well, looks like DJANGO UNCHAINED can be removed from the Oscar Equation.

by Anonymousreply 25212/03/2012

[quote]Well, looks like DJANGO UNCHAINED can be removed from the Oscar Equation.

Jeff Wells also wrote of "Django": 2 hours and 45 minutes long (and a really talky second hour that has to be experienced to be believed)

He ruined "Grindhouse" too with his hour long of boring talk.

by Anonymousreply 25312/03/2012

Striesand made a lot of noise when she wasn't nominated for Prince of Tides, a glorified Lifetime movie. She really feels she was owed it and that it was sexism, not that she's a hack. John Singleton (Boyz in the Hood) and Ridley Scott (Thelma and Louise) were nominated instead but the movies were not Best Pic nominees. They deserved it, at least Ridley did, and I'd say the bigger scandal was that the director of Beauty And The Beast wasn't nominated. Her next effort, The Mirror Has Five Chins, proved she has no business behind a camera and never did.

by Anonymousreply 25412/03/2012

Also, if the Academy was sexist they must have been so in the 70s when they nominated Lina Wertmuller (1st female dir nominee) and just two years later when Jane Campion was nominated and probably came in 2nd to Spielberg.

by Anonymousreply 25512/03/2012

[quote]Striesand made a lot of noise when she wasn't nominated for Prince of Tides, a glorified Lifetime movie. She really feels she was owed it and that it was sexism, not that she's a hack. John Singleton (Boyz in the Hood) and Ridley Scott (Thelma and Louise) were nominated instead but the movies were not Best Pic nominees. They deserved it, at least Ridley did, and I'd say the bigger scandal was that the director of Beauty And The Beast wasn't nominated. Her next effort, The Mirror Has Five Chins, proved she has no business behind a camera and never did.

Yeah and Ridley Scott couldn't even win when his own "Gladiator" won Best Picture. And has had six flops since.

John Singleton only had one hit since his nomination in 1991, a sequel to someone ele's picture

Both Directors of "Beauty & The Best" followed their Best Picture nominee with one medium bomb, "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" & one huge bomb "Atlantis: The Lost Empire" and haven't done a theatrical feature since.

by Anonymousreply 25612/03/2012

The narrative about Yentl has always been the SCANDAL of it being snubbed at the Oscars. It was a big deal at the time, specifically because so few women directors had had the chance of making "big" pictures - and Yentl was certainly that.

That narrative hasn't changed, either.

r247 and r249 are being willfully obtuse, or are plain dumb.

N.B.: whether Streisand deserved a BD nod is a different question altogether. The point is: it was made into a big scandal at the time -- much more so than other Oscar snubs.

Personally, I don't think Streisand is "best director" material, but neither is Mel Gibson or Warren Beatty. (Redford - debatable). And the Academy couldn't wait to award these two handsome, white, straight men.

So... the outrage over Yentl and Prince of Tides was justified, compared with that.

Sexism was at play, whether you like it or not.

by Anonymousreply 25712/04/2012

[quote]Personally, I don't think Streisand is "best director" material, but neither is Mel Gibson or Warren Beatty. (Redford - debatable). And the Academy couldn't wait to award these two handsome, white, straight men

And to Kevin Costner, who won over Martin Scorcese for "Goodfellas."

by Anonymousreply 25812/04/2012

According to talk at Paramount's Christmas party, Lincoln is the frontrunner to win the major awards on Oscar night.

by Anonymousreply 25912/04/2012

[quote]According to talk at Paramount's Christmas party, Lincoln is the frontrunner to win the major awards on Oscar night

No, it will NOT! Les Miserables will win every Oscar award, including Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 26012/04/2012

Zero Dark Thirty will beat them both.

by Anonymousreply 26112/04/2012

As indicated in R259's link, the buzz in Hollywood is that Lincoln is the Oscar favorite right now, including Day-Lewis and Sally Field. But few have seen Les Miz yet.

They're not going to give Zero Dark Thirty any Oscars after The Hurt Locker won just a couple of years ago.

Streisand is wonderful in the Guilt Trip. If the movie does well, she could surprise a lot of people. The movie is a joy, too.

by Anonymousreply 26212/04/2012

[quote]Zero Dark Thirty will beat them both.

Of course it will win, it was endorsed by Obama. Political films always win, but I would pick Lez Miz a close second.

by Anonymousreply 26312/04/2012

No, their not going to give an Oscar to Zero Dark Thirty after Bigelow's Hurt Locker won just 2 years ago. They're both too similar.

by Anonymousreply 26412/04/2012

I don't care whether ZDT or Les Mis or Lincoln wins, as long as Argo doesn't. Seriously, are critics and others so starved for movies aimed at adults, that there is so much love for Argo? Or is it just because Affleck directed it and they love their male actor/director combos?

Slightly OT, but I've started to like the Streep Troll. In other threads he's known to be quite knowledgeable about film. Plus he's actually singled out other actresses he likes.

by Anonymousreply 26512/04/2012

Uh - and how is Lincoln NOT a political movie, r263?

by Anonymousreply 26612/04/2012

Thanks for the thumbs up, r265.

I never said I only liked Streep. I came here (and stayed) to defend Streep against the foaming-at-the-mouth bashers when she was up for Julie & Julia. It's so easy to piss them off... Also, I do enjoy my DL notoriety :)

In any case, "knowledgeable about film" I am. Cheers!

by Anonymousreply 26712/04/2012

My money is more on Lincoln now. I think there will be a few flaws in Les Mis (Crowe's singing, for one) that will make Lincoln seem the perfect picture.

Plus you know how illogical and silly the Academy voters get... actually being the best picture of the year is about the greatest barrier to winning it with those morons.

by Anonymousreply 26912/04/2012

r269 thinks they know stuff

by Anonymousreply 27012/04/2012

[quote]I think there will be a few flaws in Les Mis (Crowe's singing, for one)

Hathaway's singing ain't so hot either, not from what I heard in the first commercial.

by Anonymousreply 27112/04/2012

yes it was!!! r272...the director was a long shot but the fact that Barbra didn't get a Best Actress nod was a buzzed about topic.

by Anonymousreply 27312/04/2012

and how the hell did Amy Irving got a nomination for Supporting....she seems stoned through out the whole film...

by Anonymousreply 27412/04/2012

For crying out loud, 1984 was not that long ago (the year Yentl was nominate-able). I remember when this nominations came out. There was no big scandal about Streisand not getting a director nomination.

What WAS noteworthy was Jane Alexander (or Julie Walters) getting nominated over Streisand for Best Actress.

That was the year Linda Hunt was nominated (and won) for playing a man, and there was much per-nom talk about the possibility of two female cross-dressing nominations.

by Anonymousreply 27512/05/2012

Argo only had buzz until the real contenders appeared. It's this year's Emperor Without Clothes. Affleck's win will be his nomination for Best Director. No way he's going to beat heavyweights Spielberg, Bigelow or Hooper.

by Anonymousreply 27612/05/2012

How did we get to the point where someone like Jennifer Lawrence is in contention for an Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 27812/05/2012

If you're referring to "The Impossible", R277, I'd say she has a chance at a nomination but not a good one. It's a well-made disaster movie. And she's terrified and in pain for 2 hours. As a performance, it's good, but I think there are more interesting choices out there. But the Best Actress category is kinda sparse this year.

by Anonymousreply 28012/05/2012

r280, it's not sparse: Riva, Cotillard, Lawrence, Wallis, Watts, Knightley, Weisz, Mirren, Smith (for Quartet) all have a shot. If Streep hadn't won this year, she would be a contender too, for Hope Springs.

The field is as crowded as ever.

by Anonymousreply 28112/05/2012

I agree with r281. This meme that there are few best actress contenders this year is quite flawed; actually, it was quite a significant year for leading women in film.

The primary reason that many might think otherwise is that several of the year's big oscar movies - including Lincoln, Argo, Les Mis, Life of Pi - don't have leading women in them. Another reason is that at this point few have seen the potential nominees; either their films have yet to be released in the U.S., only released recently, or in Weisz's case, released very early in the year when no one was paying attention to the awards race.

That doesn't change the fact that there are many highly acclaimed and or anticipated performances by women in leading roles in 2012.

by Anonymousreply 28312/05/2012

r272 is confusing the critics' discourse with the larger pop culture debate / interest surrounding the Oscars.

When the biggest female star in Hollywood makes a fuss about her film not being nominated, then it DOES become part of the narrative.

All this happened on the heels of the feminist movement, in the era of films like "9 to 5", where women in the working world were portrayed as victims of men -- there was a dearth of women directors, a dearth of opportunities for the few women working in film, and a dearth of BD noms for women throughout Oscar history.

A time where Lina Wertmuller had gone back to her European niche, and Jane Campion and Bigelow were still nonentities.

It came to a boil when the biggest female star delivered her debut film as a director, a *serious* film, only to be shut out from all major categories. It was seen as an act of SEXISM. Warren Beatty had just won, Redford had won, so why wasn't Barbra even nominated?

THIS was the narrative. When Streisand was shut out for a second time (Prince of Tides), Shirley MacLaine and Liza Minnelli were presenting an Oscar during the telecast. They stopped the show, and Shirley said:

"Liza, who is the director you and I *really* want to work with?", and Liza proclaimed: "BARBRA!!" -- the camera then swung to Streisand who was sitting in the audience, and everybody started clapping.

The perception was: this director is unfairly treated, is underrated, was dealt a rough hand, is a victim of sexism, etc.

Girls supporting their girl.

And both Shirley, Liza AND the producers of the telecast assumed the audience would get the meaning of this. This is called NARRATIVE - everybody understands the context of what is going on.

N.B.: whether Streisand truly deserved this narrative, and whether she is a capable director, is entirely beside the point. It's a different question.

The fact is, the narrative of poor Streisand being overlooked by the Academy has existed ever since Yentl.

Do keep up, everybody.

by Anonymousreply 28412/05/2012

I like you too Streep Troll, and I love Meryl. That said, I think it would do you good, for your image understand, to list your 10 LEAST favorite Streep performances and WHY you didn't like them. This will allow people to see that you're not a loon and that you can admit when the Mighty Meryl didn't hit a homerun.

by Anonymousreply 28512/05/2012

Except, r284, Yentl and Prince of Tides are movies that a great many people honestly believe do not deserve an oscar nomination for their direction.

When Streisand directs Seven Beauties, Swept Away, Zero Dark Thirty, Lost in Translation, The Hurt Locker, or even The Trouble with Angels and doesn't get an oscar nomination, then we can start discussing sexism as a cause.

by Anonymousreply 28712/05/2012

To all my 'critics': you need to read more carefully, sweethearts.

I never said that Streisand deserved anything, and I know she's an entitled little madam with a massive ego.

Again, that is a different question altogether.

I was explaining why the POP CULTURE NARRATIVE, far away from any serious critics' discourse, perceived that Streisand was SNUBBED.

That was the narrative, and it remains exactly that, only with less feminist furore than in 1984.

by Anonymousreply 28912/05/2012

Why are we discussing Meryl Streep all of a sudden? This thread turned into sh*t!

by Anonymousreply 29012/05/2012

r285, I can only give you one: The River Wild.

She was trying too hard, the film is paint by numbers which doesn't help, and her performance is forced and really uninteresting.

In every other role of hers I can find evidence of her genius. But not here.

In any case, your whole premise is daft. If you think someone is a genius, and you admire all their work, you're not a loon.

Most admirers of Mozart, Shakespeare or the Beatles think their entire work is worthy of praise, precisely because those artists possessed genius. That, in my view, is the case with Meryl Streep.

Nobody would ask a fan of Shakespeare or the Beatles to 'list stuff they don't like about them', in order to prove they're not a 'loon'.

Your question was sexist, whether you're aware of that or not.

And the rampant DL sexism hurled at Streep is exactly why I am here, doing good troll-ish work, for the benefit of you all.

by Anonymousreply 29112/05/2012

[quote]When Streisand directs Seven Beauties, Swept Away, Zero Dark Thirty, Lost in Translation, The Hurt Locker, or even The Trouble with Angels and doesn't get an oscar nomination, then we can start discussing sexism as a cause.

That's not a great argument. There's tons of male directors who do shit work and get nominated anyway. People forget that Oscars tend to be popularity contests. In any case, a better argument would be to measure Streisand's films against other actors turned directors.

by Anonymousreply 29312/05/2012

No, no, Meryl Troll!! I asked you to list you 10 least favorite Meryl performances, not performances where she was actually bad (though I'm sure they have a been a couple).

Of course one can rank Mozart's work or the Beatles work. I love Blackbird but find Hold Your Hand to be too sugary. See? That wasn't hard. It doesn't take away from the overall genius of an artist to admit when they weren't firing on all cylinders. No one is always perfect, especially in regard to artistic output. I feel you lose credibility as an ardent Meryl fan because of your undying devotion to every single performance of hers (River Wild, now, notwithstanding).

by Anonymousreply 29412/05/2012

Again, the point in question is NOT whether she should have gotten a BP nom. Of course she didn't deserve one. Of course Yentl wasn't as good as Ordinary People.

We were discussing narrative, though, and the narrative ALL THROUGH THE 70s AND 80s was that women directors were victims of male sexism.

Along came Hollywood's biggest female star, made a serious film, a big film, and she was shut out.

To less discerning people it looked like sexism, it was sold as sexism by large quarters of the mainstream media, and of course by Streisand herself.

The arument above that Kaufmann made no fuss is ludicrous. The public at large had no idea who he was, and it's irrelevant what his reaction was.

Streisand, the most bankable female star until the arrival of Julia Roberts, made a big fuss - and that alone creates a NARRATIVE.

In this case, playing into the hands of the then potent feminist movement. Consequently, Streisand's narrative had legs.

You either get that, or you don't.

Next!

by Anonymousreply 29512/05/2012

Ok, Streep Loon, you've now said the exact same thing about Yentl three times.

by Anonymousreply 29612/05/2012

Ok, r294, still a silly proposition, but I'll bite.

My least favorite:

Falling in Love; Evening; Still of the Night; The River Wild; Prime; Lions for Lambs; Mamma Mia; It's Complicated.

I only was bored with River Wild, though.

Happy now?

by Anonymousreply 29712/05/2012

r296, there would be no need to say the same thing three times if people could read, comprehend, and compute.

Evidently they can't.

by Anonymousreply 29812/05/2012

[quote]I was explaining why the POP CULTURE NARRATIVE, far away from any serious critics' discourse, perceived that Streisand was SNUBBED.

OMG you are so fucked in the head. There was no pop culture narrative that Streisand was snubbed in 1984 for Best Director. You were shitting in diapers in 1984 dear, please show us the writeups, editorials, and stories where Streisand being snubbed was an issue.

[quote]And the rampant DL sexism hurled at Streep is exactly why I am here, doing good troll-ish work, for the benefit of you all.

No you are here until your unemployment checks run out.

[quote]Along came Hollywood's biggest female star, made a serious film, a big film, and she was shut out.

A film that got mixed reviews and received multiple Razzie award nominations.

[quote]Streisand, the most bankable female star until the arrival of Julia Roberts, made a big fuss - and that alone creates a NARRATIVE.

Think again Meryl loon. This was 1983, not 1973. Her only 1980's movie up until Yentl was a bomb.

[quote]In this case, playing into the hands of the then potent feminist movement. Consequently, Streisand's narrative had legs.

Yes Andrea Dworkin, Gloria Steinem, and Germaine Greer were organizing protest marches over it. Again honey, this was 1983, not 1973. About the only "legs" it had was probably a small writeup in People Magazine.

[quote] there would be no need to say the same thing three times if people could read, comprehend, and compute.

More like you drowning in your own shit and going deeper and deeper.

[quote]To less discerning people it looked like sexism, it was sold as sexism by large quarters of the mainstream media, and of course by Streisand herself.

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 29912/05/2012

So in other words we should all shout sexism because even though Dances with Wolves was not a great movie, the Academy gave Costner and oscar but they didn't even nominate Streisand.

Sorry, I can't get all that excited about taking umbrage for a woman's bad movie being snubbed while a man's bad movie was lauded. Life is too short. Rahter, I'll applaud the oscars for not nominating Streisand and scream bloody murder that they honored Costner.... over Scorsese for Goodfellas!

by Anonymousreply 30112/05/2012

I wouldn't fuck M with G's dick.

by Anonymousreply 30212/05/2012

Ok, so back on topic. Is Lincoln losing momentum? Has ZDT become the frontrunner? Will Bigelow win a 2nd Oscar? Will Affleck win a first (shudder)? Will Les Miserables turn out to be a never was? Is there any chance in hell Emmanuelle Riva can win a Best Actress Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 30312/05/2012

Jesus People. Yentl wasn't a bad movie. It wasn't snubbed. It received FIVE Academy Award nominations and won one and was nominated for SIX Golden Globes and won two. Plenty of talented people don't get a nomination. Spielberg wasn't nominated for "Jaws" and it was up for Best Picture. Scorsese wasn't one of the four nominations for "Taxi Driver". Coppola wasn't nominated for Best Picture nominee "The Conversation". Careers don't end and the world keeps turning. All of them including Streisand now have Oscars on their mantles.

by Anonymousreply 30412/05/2012

What's really funny R274, is that Amy Irving got an Oscar nomination AND a Razzie nomination for the same performance!

by Anonymousreply 30512/05/2012

I still don't see them giving the Oscar to ZDT or Bigelow, although nominations now seem certain. A lot of films nearly sweep the critics awards but don't win Oscars. I'll bring up Goodfellas again, which swept critical awards, literally all of them, but wasn't "Oscar material" like Dances With Wolves was.

by Anonymousreply 30612/05/2012

ZDT, Les Mis and Lincoln are locks for nominations.

If all the critics weigh in and give ZDT the Best Pic nod, well, that will dramatically up the PERCEPTION of its chances to actually win.

If Les Mis loses its heat after opening - ie, critical pans, not doing the business it should - then it will be between Lincoln and ZDT, and I still think Lincoln will win.

Interesting the the NBR did not include ARGO in their top ten.

by Anonymousreply 30712/05/2012

[quote]And the rampant DL sexism hurled at Streep is exactly why I am here, doing good troll-ish work, for the benefit of you all.

What about the racism you hurled at Viola Davis last year, Streep Loon?

by Anonymousreply 30812/05/2012

[quote]ZDT, Les Mis and Lincoln are locks for nominations.

Les Jiz isn't a lock for anything yet. The BP locks are Lincoln, ZDT and Argo so far.

by Anonymousreply 30912/05/2012

For best picture, locks are ZDT, Lincoln, Les Miz, Silver Lining Playbook, Argo.

Next tier: Life of Pi.

Possibles: Skyfall, Dark Knight Rises, The Master, Amour.

Curveballs: Beasts of the Southern Wild, Anna Karenina, Django, The Hobbit, Moonrise Kingdom

I bet they have 10 best picture nominees this year. It's a wide field.

by Anonymousreply 31012/05/2012

DDL and Sally Field

Jessica Chastain

DiCaprio

Bigelow

Les Miz

Kushner

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 31112/05/2012

Maybe not DiCrapio, r311. Early word on Django is REALLY bad.

by Anonymousreply 31212/06/2012

[quote]Yes Andrea Dworkin, Gloria Steinem, and Germaine Greer were organizing protest marches over it. Again honey, this was 1983, not 1973. About the only "legs" it had was probably a small writeup in People Magazine.

Funnily enough, the Yentl snub did get a writeup in People magazine.

by Anonymousreply 31312/06/2012

No way is Jessica Chastain going to get anywhere near Jennifer Lawrence; they'll give it to Rachel Weisz before Jessica.

by Anonymousreply 31412/06/2012

Could Sally Field be nominated in the Lead Actress category for LINCOLN instead of Supporting Actress? The year Kate Winslet won, she was being promoted as Lead Actress for Revolutionary Road and Supporting Actress for The Reader. However when the nominations were announced Winslet received only a Best Leading Actress nom, but for The Reader. That film had gotten her Best Supporting Actress honors at the Globes and SAG Awards.

Could this happen to Sally also?

by Anonymousreply 31512/06/2012

No, r315. Winslet's role in The Reader really was leading, even if she wasn't THE lead.

But Field's role in LINCOLN is clearly supporting.

by Anonymousreply 31612/06/2012

I liked Kate more in Revolutionary Road.

by Anonymousreply 31712/06/2012

Sally Field is good in LINCOLN, but I wouldn't give her any prizes.

by Anonymousreply 31812/06/2012

Why does R314 think the Academy hates Jessica Chastain?

by Anonymousreply 31912/06/2012

Jessica Chastin is the new it girl. They'd love to giver her aqn award.

by Anonymousreply 32012/06/2012

[quote]Sally Field is good in LINCOLN, but I wouldn't give her any prizes.

Why don't you like me? Oh.. God.....I'm so mad I don't know what to do!! I wanna know why! I wanna know WHY!! Oh God I wanna know WHY? WHY? Lord...I wish I could understand! No...NO...NO!! It's not supposed to happen this way! I'm supposed to WIN!! I've always been ready to win! I don't think I can take this.. I.. I don't think I can take this! I just wanna hit somethin'! I just wanna hit somebody.. till they feel as bad as I do!! I just wanna hit something! I wanna hit it HARD!

by Anonymousreply 32212/06/2012

[quote] they'll give it to Rachel Weisz before Jessica

Have you SEEN "The Deep Blue Sea"? Weisz and Simon Russell Beale are good but the whole thing is a mess (Tom Hiddleston deserves a razzie nom). Pretentious and boring beyond belief. Weisz only won the NYFCC because voters couldn't decide between Lawrence, Chastain and Riva. Given the chance they will award Lawrence, Chastain, Riva and even Wallis (all in critical acclaimed movies) over Weisz in that terrible movie.

by Anonymousreply 32312/06/2012

r323, I didn't like the movie very much either (although I wouldn't call it a mess), but the award being discussed is not best movie but best actress.

There's a difference.

by Anonymousreply 32412/06/2012

I think Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts are being overlooked. I've heard excellent reports on their performances.

by Anonymousreply 32512/06/2012

Yeah, I know r324, but Weisz in "The Deep Blue Sea" is hardly Streep in "The Iron Lady". I don't think most voters will make it to the end of the movie.

The NYFCC put Weisz back on the awards season map, but it doesn't mean that she's now a lock for an Oscar nom. Saying that they will reward Weisz (an oscar winner) over Chastain in one of the most acclaimed movies of the year is just wrong.

by Anonymousreply 32612/06/2012

r324, I didn't say Weisz was definitely going to win the oscar, I said that the fact that the film (which is actually quite acclaimed even though you and I didn't like it) not being a hit means she won't win goes against both history and common sense.

Nor does the fact that Chastain is up for a big, likely popular movie mean she will win. That doesn't always happen. And don't forget the same can be said for Lawrence, so it's not as if Chastain is the only one up for a hit.

by Anonymousreply 32812/06/2012

Did I say circa, 1969? I meant, circa 1959. God, Riva was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 32912/06/2012

Time's Ten greatest film performances of 2012, begins with Riva and Trintignant, and also includes McConnaughey (Killer Joe), Rachel Weisz, the Wallis kid, Tommy Lee Jones and Jennifer Lawrence.

Not a bad year for movie acting especially given what's been left out.

by Anonymousreply 33012/06/2012

I've seen 'Beast of the Southern Wild', 'Amour' and 'Rust and Bone'. All three would be worthy winners.

Riva is more than brilliant in Amour, one of those performances that will be deemed an all-time great in the future when more people see the film. Trintignant also deserves recognition.

I was prepared to be underwhelmed by 'Beasts' and Wallis and ended up crying like a baby. Will there be a more beautiful and tear-jerking oscar clip than: "No crying - No crying"? I doubt it. Dwight Henry should be the frontrunner for best supporting actor, but he won't even get a nomination.

And Cotillard deserves an oscar just for turning a Katy Perry song into one of the best movie moments of the year. Like the men in the other two movies Schoenaerts is also getting overlooked, which is a shame.

by Anonymousreply 33112/06/2012

The only thing Jessica Chastain is getting is herpes.

by Anonymousreply 33312/06/2012

Reviews are coming in for Les Miz, and they're not good.

Early buzz for this movie has been way off.

by Anonymousreply 33412/06/2012

Notables not nominated for best director in the year of Yentl:

Philip Kaufman THE RIGHT STUFF (oscar nominee, best picture) Eric Rohmer PAULINE AT THE BEACH Woody Allen ZELIG Brian de Palma SCARFACE Kon Ichikawa THE MAKIOKA SISTERS Bill Forsyte LOCAL HERO Paul Brickman RISKY BUSINESS (huge hit, and one would think getting a great performance from Tom Cruise the one and only time in his career would be enough to get a nod, but no) Martha Coolidge VALLEY GIRL Federico Fellini AND THE SHIP SAILS ON Robert Altman STREAMERS Andrei Tarkovsky NOSTALGHIA Martin Scorsese THE KING OF COMEDY John Sayles BABY IT'S YOU David Cronenberg THE DEAD ZONE Gregory Nava EL NORTE

Even Lawrence Kasdan for the crappy but hugely successful (and oscar nominated best pic) THE BIG CHILL didn't get an oscar nomination.

So I don't think Babs has a lot to complain about.

by Anonymousreply 33512/06/2012

[quote]Yeah, I know [R324], but Weisz in "The Deep Blue Sea" is hardly Streep in "The Iron Lady". I don't think most voters will make it to the end of the movie.

I doubt many made it through or even watched "The Iron Lady", which is a giant piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 33612/06/2012

R336, IRON LADY grossed $114 million ($30 million stateside) on a $15 million budget, so it was highly profitable, the giant piece of shit notwithstanding.

by Anonymousreply 33712/06/2012

Daniel Day Lewis for Lincoln Bill Murray - Hyde Park on the Hudson

Best Supporting Actor :

Leo De Caprio - Django Unchained Tommy Lee Jones - Lincoln John Goodman and Alan Arkin are possibilities for Argo

Best Actress:

Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty Marion Cotillard - Rust & Bone

Best Supporting Actress:

Sally Fields Lincoln

Best

by Anonymousreply 33812/06/2012

Sally Fields got her talent from her father. W.C..

by Anonymousreply 33912/06/2012

[quote][R336], IRON LADY grossed $114 million ($30 million stateside) on a $15 million budget, so it was highly profitable, the giant piece of shit notwithstanding.

The Weinstein Company distributed it in America and lost a lot of $$$ on it. Around half went to the UK studio, plus the marketing, paying the theater owners and the multimillion dollar Oscar campaign for Streep, TWC ended up in the red on the movie.

by Anonymousreply 34012/06/2012

You mustn't have read the reviews for Hyde Park on the Hudson, R338. Time has it listed as one of the 10 worst films of the year.

by Anonymousreply 34112/07/2012

Hyde Park has been panned. It's out of contention. The reviews are terrible.

by Anonymousreply 34212/07/2012

plus Laura Linney is now a TV actress.....oh my.

by Anonymousreply 34312/07/2012

Anybody want to predict the Golden Globe nominations?

by Anonymousreply 34412/07/2012

Well, even if a movie is roundly panned, I think if the actor, their agency (CAA, WME,) or the studios,producers, distributors have enough clout they'll still get in the game.

I keep wondering how Harvey Weinstein does it. Does he threaten people? Buy people? What? I can't see any actor winning over Daniel Day Lewis But getting nominated would help a movie and an actor's career even if they don't win. It's a salvage job, IMO.

Maybe Joaquin, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Bill Murray are the only thing good about their respective films.

by Anonymousreply 34512/11/2012

]quote]Notables not nominated for best director in the year of Yentl: Philip Kaufman THE RIGHT STUFF (oscar nominee, best picture)

Wow. That was a great movie (still is) and it was all the director's doing.

by Anonymousreply 34612/11/2012

[quote]Reviews are coming in for Les Miz, and they're not good.

[quote]Early buzz for this movie has been way off.

You're probably one of the morons who said Avatar would flop.

by Anonymousreply 34712/12/2012

Time panned (mostly) Les Mis, but then it's by Richard Corliss, who is above all an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 34812/12/2012

I think Les Miserables will do well at the Box Office. Very Respectable. But I think The Hobbit will do equally as well if not better.

In both cases they are going to have to get some nominations because they are THE movies to see this holiday season, just as Lincoln is.

by Anonymousreply 34912/12/2012

[quote]Time panned (mostly) Les Mis, but then it's by Richard Corliss, who is above all an idiot.

I find it amusing that LES MIZ didn't make Time's Top 10 of the year but EVITA did in 1996. XD

by Anonymousreply 35012/12/2012

The Les Mis reviews are seeping out and they're mixed at best. The only reason it will eke out a Best Pic nomination is studio pressure and payola.

by Anonymousreply 35112/17/2012

The reviews are mostly terrible for Les Miz.

It may eke out a BP nom, but Hooper will not be up for Director.

Jackman will not get a nom.

by Anonymousreply 35212/17/2012

wrong, r352. Yah, you hate the movie, even though you haven't seen it I'm sure. But 75% at RT, while not great, is still not "mostly terrible."

by Anonymousreply 35312/17/2012

Zero Dark Thirty and Lincoln are going to be the two Best Picture contenders. Not Les Miz. Sorry kweenz!

by Anonymousreply 35412/17/2012

75% translates to a C rating, that's too weak to win BP or director, it shouldn't even be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 35512/17/2012

r332 and r335 are still confusing serious critics' debate and insider discourse with pop culture perception.

The general public had no idea who Philip Kaufman was, and they most certainly weren't aware of Andrei Tarkovsky or Eric Rohmer. Girl, please!

Streisand was the biggest female celebrity in Hollywood, and all eyes were on her film, since it was practically unheard of for a woman celebrity to shoot her own film.

The discussion at hand is not about whether Streisand 'deserved' a nod, or whether she should have been 'surprised' at the lack of Oscar attention.

THE GENERAL PUBLIC, i.e. middle America, perceived it as a snub. The link upthread to People mag is hardly a 'small write up' - it is a fairly lengthy article.

And it doesn't get more pop culture than People Magazine!

Everything I've said on this thread is supported by that link, and none of r332's outrage will change that.

Pop culture narrative told us that Barbra Streisand had been snubbed for 'Yentl'.

Deal.

by Anonymousreply 35612/18/2012

You're still babbling on about this Meryl loon?

[quote]THE GENERAL PUBLIC, i.e. middle America, perceived it as a snub. The link upthread to People mag is hardly a 'small write up' - it is a fairly lengthy article.

Yes Meryl loon you knew what the pulse of middle America was in 1984. Yes it was a huge story among middle America along with the Olympics, the Presedential election, Michael Jackson being burned, and the Apple computer being introduced.

[quote]Everything I've said on this thread is supported by that link, and none of [R332]'s outrage will change that.

No dear it tells us that it was a slow news week in the entertainment industry.

[quote]Streisand was the biggest female celebrity in Hollywood, and all eyes were on her film, since it was practically unheard of for a woman celebrity to shoot her own film.

And her film underwhelmed and did ok box office. Case closed.

[quote]Pop culture narrative told us that Barbra Streisand had been snubbed for 'Yentl'.

Pop culture narrative in 1984 was about Ghostbusters, Footloose, Beverly Hills Cop, The Cosby Show, Gremlins, Thriller, Boy George, Tina Turner, Madonna,Cyndi Lauper, and Prince. Not Barbra Streisand.

[quote]The Streep troll (tm). Sometimes it is too easy..

To make you look like a idiot.

by Anonymousreply 35712/18/2012

"Not Barbra Streisand"

Which, of course, is why People Magazine wrote about Streisand being snubbed! (according to them)

How cute.

Anti-loon, your parochial reading of what I meant by "pop culture narrative" resembles your inability to differentiate between "industry discourse" and "pop culture perception".

The things you list (Ghostbusters, Tina Turner, etc.) were pop culture HIT MATERIAL, which is quite a different thing from *narrative*.

Do you know what "narrative" means, in English?

It deals with 'perception' and 'story', and if a big star comes out with her first film as director, there is a 'story' attached to that, and 'perceptions' are made. Just like Redford and Beatty had their own narratives, when they came out with their films.

Tina Turner, Cyndi Lauper and Madonna were no Hollywood stars. They were pop singers. The biggest female star in Hollywood until the arrival of Julia Roberts was - Barbra Streisand.

That status was held regardless of contemporary box office.

Her star power allone assured there was going to be a *narrative* about her first film, 'Yentl'.

Needles to say, this will go over your head. But what else is new with a deranged lunatic like you.

by Anonymousreply 35812/18/2012

"To make you look like a idiot"

Oh, the irony!

r357? In English, we say "an idiot", not "a".

It's "an idea", not "a idea"; "an illness", but not "a illness"; "an item", not "a item".

See the grammatical pattern there, anti-loon?

You know, only idiots calling other people idiots, while exhibiting their own idiocy, are true idiots.

*Kisses*

by Anonymousreply 35912/18/2012

[quote]Which, of course, is why People Magazine wrote about Streisand being snubbed! (according to them)

Let it go Meryl loon, you are grasping for straws and failing. A obscure magazine article doesn't prove your point.

[quote]Anti-loon, your parochial reading of what I meant by "pop culture narrative" resembles your inability to differentiate between "industry discourse" and "pop culture perception".

What the fuck are you babbling about? Again, 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag. There was zero pop culture narraitive about Streisand being snubbed for an Oscar. No amount of your batshit crazy replies will change that.

[quote]It deals with 'perception' and 'story', and if a big star comes out with her first film as director, there is a 'story' attached to that, and 'perceptions' are made. Just like Redford and Beatty had their own narratives, when they came out with their films.

Yeah the "narraitive" was that their films were actually well recieved both critically and commercially, Streisand's film had ok box office and lukewarm reviews. Beatty's first film was one of the biggest hits of 1978. You are obviously too stuipd to see the differences.

[quote]Tina Turner, Cyndi Lauper and Madonna were no Hollywood stars. They were pop singers. The biggest female star in Hollywood until the arrival of Julia Roberts was - Barbra Streisand.

Um no. Streisand made 3 films in the 80's. Two were bombs and one did okay, hardly Hollywood's biggest star.

[quote]That status was held regardless of contemporary box office.

No it wasn't. Try again.

[quote]Her star power allone assured there was going to be a *narrative* about her first film, 'Yentl'.

Yes the narrative was "big star directs mediocre film". That was the narrative.

[quote]Needles to say, this will go over your head. But what else is new with a deranged lunatic like you.

Cupcake you're the one that has a unhealthy obsession with someone you don't know to the point where you are threatening her "competition" and has issues with racism. People like you are the reason stricter stalking laws have been passed in the last 20 years. Frankly, you are the kind of person that people should look out for.

[quote]You know, only idiots calling other people idiots, while exhibiting their own idiocy, are true idiots.

Again Meryl loon, when was the last time you were gainfully employeed? BTW you have been on here for 4 years and you still don't know how to use quotes?

Oh the irony.

by Anonymousreply 36012/18/2012

Oscar's Dirty Tricks: Inside the Whisper Campaign Machine (Analysis):

by Anonymousreply 36212/20/2012

Streep troll, the quoting thing, as well as bolding, ect, is explained in the "help" section, click on the link in the upper right.

by Anonymousreply 36312/20/2012

DDL

Jennifer Lwrence

Sally Field

Tommy Lee Jones

David O Russell

Tony Kushner

Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola

SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK

Done.

by Anonymousreply 36512/25/2012

Whats the name of the British(I assume) indie film about a woman who stops at nothing (don't remember plot) that a very few think has a chance for Best Actress...

All this talk about Yentl just wanted to point out it will not be available at Netflix after Jan 1

by Anonymousreply 36612/30/2012

I think this will be a shocker year with many surprising nominations, and wins as well.

My final prediction for supp. actress:

Sally Field, Anne Hathaway, Amy Adams, Ann Dowd, Isabelle Huppert.

It's not Huppert's most fascinating work, but Amour has strong momentum, and this is as good a time as any to finally give her a nomination. She is painfully overdue.

Dowd will get in as well, due to building momentum. Her strong performance cannot be ignored.

Helen Hunt will be the surprise snub, along with Maggie Smith.

Neihter Field nor Hathaway will win (another surprise).

You heard it here first!

by Anonymousreply 36701/06/2013

picture and director - The Master or Holy Motors.

best actor - Denis Lavant for Holy Motors.

supporting - Amy Adams and Philip Seymour Hoffman for The Master or Maggie Smith for Marigold Hotel

best villain - Tom Hiddleston for The Avengers

lifetime - Judi Dench

I know most of this is never going to happen, but most of the typical movies were just VERY meh!

by Anonymousreply 36801/06/2013

I can already see I won't be correct. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 36901/15/2013

Picture - Lincoln

Actor - Daniel Day Lewis

Actress - Emmanuelle Riva

Supporting Actor - Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Original Screenplay - Amour

Foreign Film - Amour

(by the way, OP, I'm sure this has already been noted, but The Intouchables was not nominated)

by Anonymousreply 37001/15/2013

Think OP has it!

by Anonymousreply 37101/15/2013

I eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 37201/15/2013

Hey Smarty Pants, op, the Intouchables was not even nominated. I doubt it will win.

by Anonymousreply 37301/15/2013

Well, here are my revised and final predictions based on awards season so far.

Picture: Argo

Director: Spielberg (possibly Haneke)

Actor: DDL

Actress: Lawrence

Sup Actor: Alan Arkin (Argo pulls him along)

Sup Actress: AnnE

Orig Screenplay: Amour

Adapted Screenplay: Argo

Foreign Film: Amour

Cinematography: Skyfall (Roger Deakins is way overdue, plus it awards a hit and a Bond film)

Production Design/Costumes: Anna Karenina

Editing/other tech awards: Argo (this is where they beef up the number of wins for Argo so it feels like a real Best Picture)

Song: Skyfall

by Anonymousreply 37402/10/2013

Final predictions:

Picutre: Argo

Director: Ang Lee

Actor: DDL

Actress: Jennifer Lawrence

Sup Actor: Robert DeNiro

Sup Actress: AnnE

Original Screenplay: Zero Dark Thirty

Adapted Screenplay: Argo

Foreign Film: Amour

Editing: Argo

Photography: Skyfall

Costumes/Art Direction: Miserable Lesbians

by Anonymousreply 37502/24/2013

Should have said Waltz R375 and you would have been perfect.

by Anonymousreply 37603/12/2013

You don't know anything about the Oscars do you r376?

by Anonymousreply 37703/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.