Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"going home" for the holiday.

I began today asking all my hetero friends - especially those who have spawned - if they are "going home" for the holiday. I love the look on their faces and the puzzlement they show when they explain they have a "home."

Well, I DO TOO. In fact I have a partner of 20 years and we have a nice "home." Just because I am a lesbian does not mean I am some infant or spinster sister who cries of lonliness and misses my mommy and daddy for santa time.

I had it for years being infantized by heterosexual oppressors because my family doesn't look like theirs. I dont need their condescending pity.

If you want to ask if I am "traveling over the holidays" or if I have "plans to visit family," fine.

But don't ask me if I am going "home." My "home" is just as good as yours....

by Anonymousreply 2111/30/2012

Well I have a home with my wife, too, but we go see my mother and sisters.

I'm not nearly as defensive about it, however. I don't "cry on lonliness," whatever that is.

If that's your biggest complaint (that straight people ask if you are going "home" for the holidays) then count your blessings.

by Anonymousreply 111/29/2012

You don't mean "home." I believe the word you are looking for is "stage."

by Anonymousreply 211/29/2012

This never happened.

But on the off chance it did, OP, you're just living in the wrong place. If you asked that question in Florida, everybody would take your question seriously, because only 30% of those living in Florida are "native Floridians." So indeed, most people who live there have to decide if they want to go "home" (Ohio, Michigan, NY, CT, etc.) for the holidays or stay in Florida, where few transplants have extended family.

You sound like the typical angry lesbian stereotype, though -- which makes me fairly certain that this post was written by a gayboy.

by Anonymousreply 311/29/2012

Wait, wait -- I'll give it 2/10; it was "spawned" that gave it away.

by Anonymousreply 411/29/2012

Oh, just relax. To many people "home" means the place you grew up.

I'm sure everyone understands that where you are now is your real home.

The only people who say that to me are my family and people from my home town who never left. They ask if I'm coming home or they welcome me home. It's really not a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 511/29/2012

Roam Home in a Dome!

by Anonymousreply 611/29/2012

"Spawned" did it for me, too.

by Anonymousreply 711/29/2012

If real you are trying way too hard to find something to bitch about.

by Anonymousreply 811/29/2012

Well! Someone sure is a delicate little flower!

by Anonymousreply 911/29/2012

It's fun to see people trying so hard to start a memorable DL thread.

by Anonymousreply 1011/29/2012

by Anonymousreply 1111/29/2012

This doesn't even make sense. The OP asked people if they are going home and now is indignant that she has a home?

by Anonymousreply 1211/29/2012

my free bread pudding is always at home

by Anonymousreply 1311/29/2012

My folks moved to a condo in Florida two years ago, so when I visit them there I hardly feel I'm going "home" if I never lived there! When I'd see then at our family home in the northeast, yes, though "going home" had to do with the fact that I was raised in the area.

by Anonymousreply 1411/29/2012

[quote]The OP asked people if they are going home and now is indignant that she has a home?

I didn't get it at first either. But I think what she's saying is that she was so pissed off by the question that she decided to turn the tables and start asking people if THEY were going home.

The OP is childish and not very good at explaining things.

by Anonymousreply 1511/29/2012

OP is being infantized because she's a big screaming baby.

by Anonymousreply 1611/29/2012

[quote]This doesn't even make sense. The OP asked people if they are going home and now is indignant that she has a home?

R12, OP's supposed subtext here is that people are asking if she's going "home" for the holidays because she's apparently closeted at work and hasn't told anyone she has a long-term partner to go home to, and thus assume she's a lonely spinster instead of a mere elderdyke. Her fault here is assuming, as already noted, that all heteros assume "home" is the one they've made for themselves. It's not really a rude question for people to be asking OP, but what would the holidays be without some self-made lesbian DRAMA?

by Anonymousreply 1711/29/2012

O there's no place like home for the holidays, no matter how far away you roam.

by Anonymousreply 1811/29/2012

[quote]... infantized ...

This is not a word. If you must verbify, it should be "infantilize", i.e., to render infantile. As in: "OP is being infantile to complain about trivial shit like this".

by Anonymousreply 1911/29/2012

Shout with righteous anger, sister womyn!!! Fight the patriarchy of "Thanksgiving," when womyn have NOTHING to be thankful for!

by Anonymousreply 2011/30/2012

Why can't everyone just have multiple homes??

by Anonymousreply 2111/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!