Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why did none of this generation of Kennedys become national leaders?

All three of Joe Kennedy's sons who lived past WWII became national leaders: senators at the very least. None of his grandsons or granddaughters did (and at this stage, none of them likely will), yet all of them talk the talk about their family tradition of public service, and even though many of them clearly have had national political ambitions. Why have none of them ever made it further than the level of congressman or lieutenant governor?

by Anonymousreply 1111/29/2012

[quote]Why did none of this generation of Kennedys become national leaders?

Probably for the same reason that a lot of kids of show business giants don't make it very far in the entertainment business (except for Liza!).

Lightning doesn't often strike twice in the same family. And often, the "wow" factor of the first generation star has worn off by the time the second generation comes around. Their baggage has been exposed, i.e., marriages, divorces, lack of talent (or maybe just not as much talent as their parents), etc. And quite possibly, the drive to succeed may not be as strong for the second generation.

So as the saying goes, they find their "own ways to serve" or make their own way in this world.

by Anonymousreply 111/29/2012

Oh, and another thing....the kids might want a private life. If they grew up in the public eye, they soon realize as adults that it's not all it's cracked up to be.

So if they have a financially comfortable life as a result of their parents making a fortune, they just might want a life away from the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 211/29/2012

[quote]Oh, and another thing....the kids might want a private life.

They didn't.

Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, Joe Kennedy, Patrick Kennedy... they're all politicians and wanted t be national leaders.

by Anonymousreply 311/29/2012

Don't forget that the patriarch died and with him control of all the money, the power and the corruption.

by Anonymousreply 411/29/2012

Because the first generation had Joe Sr. for a father...an unyielding, power hungry son of a bitch who whipped his sons into the men they became. Joe Sr. was an evil bastard but he DID create three of the best politicians this country has ever been blessed to have and for that, I'm grateful.

by Anonymousreply 511/29/2012

R3. They didn't want it enough, couldn't make it, or life simply got in the way.

Kathleen Kennedy ultimately lost the election for (I believe) governor after serving as lietenant governor. Joe Kennedy served for a while, but had all sorts of family issues least of all dealing with a divorce and trying to get an annulment to which his wife vehemently objected (she wanted a divorce). And Patrick Kennedy had psychological issues and drug addition.

Besides, they really didn't strive for national office. Joseph and Patrick stayed in their safe congressional districts until they left office. They didn't show much desire for the Senate or national office or in some public leadership position.

by Anonymousreply 611/29/2012

too much pills and liquor!

by Anonymousreply 711/29/2012

Young Joe, as he was called, was my congressional Rep. He's dumb as a stump. I think his only significant piece of legislation in his entire career was something regarding bike paths.

Still, I always voted for him. His voting record was great. We all thought he just went to Uncle Ted and asked how to vote. That was fine - I've seen even dumber congressmen and the voting record is all that really matters.

by Anonymousreply 811/29/2012

Agree about the father, Joe. He was stern with the kids. The second or third generation are a bunch of spoiled rich kids.

One of my oldest friends worked for Ceasar Chavez back in the 70s and a bunch of Kennedy kids (probably Bobby's) were sort of "dropped off" to help with the movement. He complained they were the laziest, most spoiled rotten good-for-nothing's he ever met.

by Anonymousreply 911/29/2012

How many people of any generation of any family become national leaders? Hardly any. The Kennedys listed in R3 have done better than 99.9 or more percent of families.

by Anonymousreply 1011/29/2012

It's what happens with every multi-generational family of great wealth - each generation gets lazier because they don't have to work hard. The current Kennedy generation (Caroline's kids, etc.) are all entitled, lazy shits who just want to live the high life and nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 1111/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.