Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why don't Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts do a film together?

Too big a budget because of their salaries? Advised against doing it by their people? Personality conflicts?

by Anonymousreply 8410/23/2013

probably hard to find a property with two good women's roles

by Anonymousreply 111/28/2012

They could be in a remake of "Thelma and Louise". Who would be who?

by Anonymousreply 211/28/2012

I'm sure neither feels the need to do a film with the other, though I suspect Bullock would be willing to work with Roberts if the script was good. Roberts on the other hand...

There are a lot of star pairings that might sound good on paper, but would never happen due to the egos involved.

I remember the film HEAT with DeNiro and Pacino. They only had one scene together, and the way it's shot, I'm not sure they were on the set at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 311/28/2012

Roberts must be a little mad that she quit The Proposal over money and then Sandra took the script took a pay cut, produced it to huge profits, and made one of the few money making star vehicles of that summer. The theory was Sandra got that Oscar not so much for the movie but for being a smart business woman who made money for Hollywood and not just herself as Julia was trying to do.

by Anonymousreply 411/29/2012

Sandra and Julia could remake "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?"

by Anonymousreply 511/29/2012

[quote] I'm sure neither feels the need to do a film with the other, though I suspect Bullock would be willing to work with Roberts if the script was good. Roberts on the other hand...

I'm sure you've heard about Roberts' quote that she's never seen a Sandra Bullock movie. I thought someone was making it up the first time I read that. Why comment on Bullock at all if she's never seen one of her movies? She had to have known how bitter it made her look, but was apparently so bitter she didn't care.

by Anonymousreply 611/29/2012

I probably am a bit too happy that Bullock, who, for a good decade, was the distant number 2 to Roberts, has not only surpassed her, but lapped her.

by Anonymousreply 811/29/2012

Who would prop them up? Remember, neither of them can act.

by Anonymousreply 911/29/2012

R4 it was The Blindside that Sandra took on and won the Oscar for.

Even though Julia also allegedly passed on The Proposal as well which Sandy picked up and drove to huge success.

So Julia passed up 2 roles in 1 year that Sandra took, both which went on to do huge box office and win Sandra an Oscar.

Will they ever work together? Fuck no. Julia's probably still fuming to this day over her decisions and Sandra's subsequent successes.

by Anonymousreply 1011/29/2012

Why don't they do a film together?

Because sometimes the gods are kind to us.

by Anonymousreply 1111/29/2012

What about Jessica Lange and Meryl Streep? I was thinking they'd be good in A Delicate Balance.

by Anonymousreply 1211/29/2012

That would be a nice pairing R12, but no one is going to make another film of that play (the first one with Hepburn and Scofield is so badly directed it hurts).

Also, both actresses would want to play the alcoholic sister Claire rather than Agnes. Claire is the role that tends to win awards.

by Anonymousreply 1311/29/2012

I think Sandy and Jules should do a screwball comedy. Can you imagine the press? People would have a field day. The lines at the theaters would be divided into Camp Sandra and Camp Julia.

by Anonymousreply 1411/29/2012

Bullock has the actual charm we were conned into thinking Roberts had. Bullock would be game, Roberts would not do it for some lame reason when the actual reason is fear of direct comparison. She won't have another Cameron Diaz-snatches-the-movie situation.

by Anonymousreply 1511/29/2012

[quote]Roberts must be a little mad that she quit The Proposal over money and then Sandra took the script took a pay cut, produced it to huge profits, and made one of the few money making star vehicles of that summer. The theory was Sandra got that Oscar not so much for the movie but for being a smart business woman who made money for Hollywood and not just herself as Julia was trying to do

Sandra is a smart cookie while Roberts is a high school dropout who I suspect was only semi-literate when starting out. She has the tendency to use big word-of-the-day calendar words that don't mesh with the level of the other words in the sentence. Huge sign of intellectual insecurity. Woody Allen's scripts sometimes have the same issue if you listen closely.

by Anonymousreply 1611/29/2012

r10...I phrased it wrong. I was talking about The Proposal for most of my post and meant they give her the award for the Blind Side in part because she did so well financially with The Proposal

I didn't know Roberts turned down blind side too

by Anonymousreply 1711/29/2012

OP and everyone else: name a *single* successful film -- aside from "Thelma and Louise" -- that starred two fairly well-known Hollywood actresses better known for their beauty than their talent. Ensemble films don't count, nor do foreign films (including British films). By "successful" I mean made at least double its production cost at the domestic box office. Finally, only films with both actresses as a LEAD protagonist count.

Name one. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

by Anonymousreply 1811/29/2012

[quote] better known for their beauty than their talent.

Bullock never fit that category nor did Roberts really....they were known for their likability and comedic timing.

by Anonymousreply 1911/29/2012

Single White Female

by Anonymousreply 2011/29/2012

From Justin to Kelly, r18.

by Anonymousreply 2111/29/2012

Julia

by Anonymousreply 2211/29/2012

The Children's Hour

by Anonymousreply 2311/29/2012

The Turning Point

by Anonymousreply 2411/29/2012

Chicago

by Anonymousreply 2511/29/2012

The Hunger

by Anonymousreply 2611/29/2012

Bound

by Anonymousreply 2711/29/2012

Girl, Interrupted

by Anonymousreply 2811/29/2012

Desperatly Seeking Susan

by Anonymousreply 2911/29/2012

Death Becomes Her

by Anonymousreply 3011/29/2012

Alien 4

by Anonymousreply 3111/29/2012

R18, they're not made because Hollywood is run by overgrown frat boys (and a lot of corporate asshole-type women)who truly, truly don't think that women go to the movies. Every time there is a female-centered hit, the exact same story runs that "wow, women go to the movies". Then everytime its called a fluke and movies for teen boys are a sure thing for the bottom line.

The directors, writers, actors, etc, are mostly smart and sometimes brilliant, but the studio people are often MBAs and legacy hires who know nothing more about film than what won the box office last weekend. Truly some of the dumbest people you could meet. And why should they change? They have the big job and all the other climbers will "yes" them and agree that America is dying for a remake of Tron.

This article on Hollywood's shifting attitude towards "Inception" is a good example. Basically, they thought it would bomb and was "too smart". When it was a huge hit, it didn't mean they were wrong, it meant it was a fluke.

by Anonymousreply 3211/29/2012

Sorry, I meant to state "from the past 20 years"! That would exclude many, if not most, of the films mentioned. R25, "Chicago" is the very *definition* of an ensemble piece. R28, that film *starred* Winona Ryder and had Angelina in a supporting role. R31, "sidekick" roles don't count - I mean equal leads (and nobody in any "Alien" film is a co-lead with Sigourney).

by Anonymousreply 3311/29/2012

I think it would be more fun to see Sandra and Jm. J. Bullock make a movie together--and they could use the same plot that they would have if Julia had been the co-star.

by Anonymousreply 3411/29/2012

Why don't they braid each other's hair and gossip about American Idol? I guess we'll never know...

by Anonymousreply 3511/29/2012

R32 is spot on. I'd add agents at bigger agencies, especially those who venture into producing. Truly the most vapid, opinion lacking, dumb people you will ever meet.

by Anonymousreply 3611/29/2012

Sandra has done a few movies with another female lead, including Nicole Kidman.

by Anonymousreply 3711/29/2012

Sandy is supposedly a joy to work with. Julia, on the other hand...

by Anonymousreply 3811/30/2012

Here's Julia Roberts' biggest problem in terms of her career:

Most of the US audience under 35 years old does not connect with Julia Roberts anymore. "PRETTY WOMAN" is pretty much the only film of hers that is still popular amongst the younger crowd. None of her other films has stood the test of time in terms of popularity with those under 35.

Basically, Julia Roberts is viewed as "Too 1990s". She barely has a connection with the younger audience. It's a major reason why most of her films in the 2000s have disappointed or flopped.

Interestingly, Sandra Bullock's films from the 1990s and early 2000s may have been considered crap and grossed less than Roberts' films at the time, but they have remained popular or become more popular.

Cable channels play Bullock's films non-stop, and the younger crowd enjoys them.

"Speed", "While You Were Sleeping", "A Time To Kill", "Practical Magic", "Miss Congeniality", "Two Weeks Notice", "The Proposal", and "The Blind Side" are always on TV on constant rotation. Sad but true

Bullock is older than Roberts, but she's still viewed as 'fun', 'cool', 'hilarious', 'sweet', and 'adorable'. People root for Bullock because she seems nice and down-to-earth - the underdog.

Roberts projects bitchiness and narcissism.

by Anonymousreply 3912/02/2012

"Bullock is older than Roberts....

but everyone thinks Julia is older.

by Anonymousreply 4012/02/2012

People think that Julia Roberts is older because she became famous in the late 1980s, and Sandra Bullock became famous in the mid-1990s.

Sandra was 30 years old when SPEED was released, and that made her a star.

by Anonymousreply 4112/20/2012

Julia also looks older.

by Anonymousreply 4212/20/2012

Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock may both be nominated for Best Actress at the Oscars for their films this year.

Bullock - GRAVITY

Roberts - August: Osage County

by Anonymousreply 4308/06/2013

And who would want to see that movie, OP? I'd go see a movie because Sandra Bullock's in it if I like the idea, but I don't care much for Julia Roberts. Except perhaps Notting Hill and Best Friend's Wedding, which I genuinely wanted to see for Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 4408/06/2013

R39 for President!!!

by Anonymousreply 4508/06/2013

Interesting what happens when the "sexiness" factor fades out. Sandra Bullock was never so much "sexy" as "the good friend" (with a lot of charm!), and that lasts a lot longer, as time is proving.

by Anonymousreply 4608/06/2013

Because Julia is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 4708/06/2013

This one is easy enough... Julia is an insecure cunt and would never do it.

by Anonymousreply 4808/06/2013

Julia is too busy doing commercial voiceovers for Nationwide insurance to make a movie these days.

by Anonymousreply 4908/06/2013

Why would Bullock be interested in such a project? Roberts would only bring her down.

by Anonymousreply 5008/06/2013

R3, You just brought up a fav film, "Heat." Just compare it to the current crop of action movies. Whatever happened to Michael Mann? Loved some of his other thrillers too.

by Anonymousreply 5108/06/2013

I don't watch Julia Roberts' films and if I do see a Sandra Bullock film it's usually on an airplane.

by Anonymousreply 5208/06/2013

R32, Good article. So why aren't studios making movies like An Officer and a Gentleman and Body Heat anymore?

by Anonymousreply 5308/06/2013

Most of the best material is on cable. I'd love to see Sandra do a well-written TV show.

by Anonymousreply 5408/06/2013

R39, Thanks for the analysis. It's obvious when you see the list of Bullock films that she benefited from not being just a romantic comedy lead. Roberts rarely had major box office success outside of romantic comedies which no one watches anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5508/06/2013

Sandra would be great on a well-written TV show, R54.

by Anonymousreply 5608/07/2013

Seriously, is Julia Roberts still relevant?

by Anonymousreply 5708/24/2013

It would have to be a comedy. Both of them require more skilled actors to play up to in a drama.

by Anonymousreply 5808/24/2013

I think While You Were Sleeping was Bullock's breakthrough and it very quickly propelled her to the A list, much like Pretty Woman and Roberts. She had 3 high profile movies that year (scarily almost 20 years ago), also The Net and Speed.

by Anonymousreply 5908/24/2013

While You Were Sleeping was AFTER Speed and Demolitian Man. Sandra was already established.

by Anonymousreply 6008/24/2013

Nope. You're wrong.

by Anonymousreply 6108/24/2013

Seabiscuits: All The Pretty Horses

by Anonymousreply 6208/24/2013

Sandra Bullock is a true Hollywood movie star who climbed up to the stratosphere of the film industry due to her charisma and sheer determination.

Roberts, on the other hand, while also incredibly loveable onscreen, received the biggest free pass into Hollywood when her brother, Erik, who stared in a number of pictures in the 1980's (action, martial arts), opened the door for her to enter the arena.

Pretty Woman was successful equally to Richard Gere's performance. I think Gere made Pretty Woman and any other actress, including Bullock, could have pulled off the role of Vivian.

Regardless of the divergent paths the aforementioned actresses took in achieving their legendary and iconic status in the entertainment industry, they are both household names.

It's improbable they'll ever star in a film together. There can only be one star in their eyes. Remember that many years ago, Bullock left the Creative Artists Agency for a while because they had signed on Roberts and there would be a subsequent conflict of interest in what projects would be packaged for whom.

In the end, Roberts got cocky and it showed in her work. Her arrogance probably interfered with her choices and she ended up starring in films that probably weren't too relevant or high concept enough (like her early work). She probably just tried to appease her male costars. When the late 90's arrived, Roberts became the same person onscreen in every film. Her range froze because, rightfully so, she probably felt that she had to stay the same to achieve the success of her previous films.

Sandra Bullock, on the other hand, has the broadest acting range in Hollywood history. She has successfully negotiated almost every genre -- from action to drama to comedy to voice over animation. I think her name is now synonymous with movie star.

Bullock captured my heart when I watched her in While You Were Sleeping and I'll always be incredibly in love with her onscreen persona.

Roberts, on the other hand, entertains me in her films but leaves very little long term impression because -- like a previous poster mentioned -- I know she's on screen to earn her 20 million a movie salary and that's it. I don't sense genuine immersion in the films she's in.

GRAVITY is Bullok's tour de force and I hope it makes a ton of cash at the box office and gets Sandra a 2nd Academy Award.

I think Bullock's potential is endless in terms of the success she can now bring to the film industry. She'll never be outdated and is the most fantastic movie star in the world.

by Anonymousreply 6310/21/2013

R55,

Speed was great until one of the stupidest endings of all time ruined it.

ALl Jack had to do when the subway train was careening out of control was to have the cop on the other end of his radio arrange to hvae power to the third rail cut.

Same problem with "Under Seige 2"

by Anonymousreply 6410/21/2013

R63, I completely agree!

Your first and second paragraphs are perfect summaries and encapsulate the obvious, however in Hollywood, casting by publicist and connections is what is practiced.

It is the same in the news business, and to a lesser extent, the music business as well.

by Anonymousreply 6510/21/2013

What a fabulous post, R63! I agree with everything you said.

by Anonymousreply 6610/22/2013

Speed should have ended with the bus.

by Anonymousreply 6710/22/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 6810/22/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 6910/23/2013

"Sandra Bullock, on the other hand, has the broadest acting range in Hollywood history."

Only on DL

by Anonymousreply 7010/23/2013

All that said, Sandra is infinitely more likeable.

As actresses, they're probably both equally limited. I'm willing to bet Sandra Bullock's a more interesting, complex person.

by Anonymousreply 7110/23/2013

Fuck Thelma and Louise. R5 nailed it!

by Anonymousreply 7210/23/2013

R83 = Sandra Bullock

by Anonymousreply 7310/23/2013

R7 nails it on the head

THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 7410/23/2013

[quote]I think Bullock's potential is endless in terms of the success she can now bring to the film industry. She'll never be outdated and is the most fantastic movie star in the world.

MARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7510/23/2013

[quote]Sandra Bullock, on the other hand, has the broadest acting range in Hollywood history.

Yes, she can play Sandra Bullock and Sandra Bullock!

by Anonymousreply 7610/23/2013

Two inexplicably mediocre actresses??? Yeah, I would plunk my hard earned money down to see them. Not.

by Anonymousreply 7710/23/2013

No, they should do something groundbreaking: they should play a couple! Seriously! The first lesbian screwball comedy!!

by Anonymousreply 7810/23/2013

Personally, I would never do a film with my rival.

by Anonymousreply 7910/23/2013

Me either, G. I don't do made-for-television movies.

by Anonymousreply 8010/23/2013

Shut up cunt or I'll show you damages.

by Anonymousreply 8110/23/2013

Connie White and Barbara Jean never appear together onstage.

by Anonymousreply 8210/23/2013

R68 - No. Exhibit A: Infamous.

by Anonymousreply 8310/23/2013

I only did it because of the scene where I got to kick the living shit out of that cheap whore.

by Anonymousreply 8410/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.