Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Interesting fact, Republicans v. Democrats:

At about 800 people per square mile, people switch from voting primarily Republican to voting primarily Democratic. Put another way, below 800 people per square mile, there is a 66% chance that you voted Republican. Above 800 people per square mile, there is a 66% chance that you voted Democrat.

I think that says a lot, imho.

by Anonymousreply 2004/13/2013

Do you have a source?

by Anonymousreply 111/28/2012

by Anonymousreply 311/29/2012

Do you know that "God" spelled backwards is "dog"? It makes you think.

by Anonymousreply 411/29/2012

People in high density populations better understand that "we're all in this together", and see for themselves how important it is to help our neighbors, because doing so helps ourselves.

People isolated out on farms think they do everything themselves, and can't grasp why everyone can't do everything for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 512/01/2012

Here's an article on the urban vs rural divide in this country. Among other things it notes that

[quote] Meanwhile, the states with constitutional amendments banning gay marriage are often among the least densely populated in the country, such as South Dakota and Idaho.

by Anonymousreply 612/01/2012

And to whom do all those farm subsidy checks go?

Paging Michelle Bachmann.

by Anonymousreply 712/01/2012

Interesting premise. I think population density does tend to tilt communities one way or the other.

For example, where I live the population density per square mile is 9,401 per square mile. Very dense. We're third after NYC and Boston.

by Anonymousreply 812/01/2012

More and more people are moving to cities, and more and more people in this country are "minorities" (not straight-white-Christian-males)

The GOP has no future on its current path.

by Anonymousreply 912/31/2012

OP is DL's resident crackhead.

by Anonymousreply 1012/31/2012

No, R10. Just... no.

by Anonymousreply 1101/05/2013

So, OP? It simply is a reflection of the urban profile of Democrats and the suburban and rural profile of Republicans, with many exceptions nationwide?

Also, you say "that says a lot, imho" (the last abbreviation indicating you are a dumbshit, in my informed opinion), but you do not bother to say what it says to you.

To those of us who are demographers, all it says is what we already know, in a factoid form that sheds little real light on a complex topic.

by Anonymousreply 1201/06/2013

Vermont breaks the mold.

by Anonymousreply 1301/06/2013

R12, I think it's pretty obvious... when you get higher population density, it becomes more obvious how we're all connected, and that no man is an island, and the whole Republican philosophy beings to look more and more like the obvious lie that it is.

by Anonymousreply 1401/06/2013

I think it says you get less fearful and conservative when you're exposed to more people on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 1501/06/2013

Well, Missy R12, ain't you somethin'!

by Anonymousreply 1601/06/2013

Another interesting thing to note: in an area that has a low population density, where do they get the tax revenue to fix their roads, run their schools, man and operate their emergency services? Chances are, they dont have enough money to do this so they have to rely on aid from the state and Federal government. So the people who politically are more likely to say their taxes are too high and they want the government shrunk to the size of a La-Z-Boy recliner are also the people who are more likely to be benefiting more from government spending their their liberal city dwelling counterparts.

by Anonymousreply 1701/06/2013

Exactly, R17. Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 1801/06/2013

The more you have to live with other people, the more you recognize the function and purpose and benefits of "society", and the more willing you are to pay taxes to support your standards of living.

Republicans are just ignorant selfish assholes, really, but this is interesting data.

by Anonymousreply 1904/13/2013

I'd be interested to see the breakdown by education, too.

Rural voters tend to be less educated imho and therefore more likely to be duped by the Repubs. I'd be willing to bet that highly educated rural voters are more likely to break Democratic and poorly educated white city dwellers are the demo most likely to break Repub.

by Anonymousreply 2004/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!