Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"I'll NEVER understand the meaning of overexposure," vows Ben Affleck

L'Affleck continues to erase the genuine goodwill his directorial effort "Argo" earned him with an unceasing PR campaign, including the latest EW cover which brands him "Entertainer of the Year."

I am crossing my fingers that this year's Best Director Oscar nominees are Steven Spielberg, Tom Hooper, Katherine Bigelow, David O. Russell and Ang Lee.

by Anonymousreply 2812/02/2012

he should try getting his cock out at a kiddies party.. i'm sure the police will be able to explain over exposure to him in a cell..

by Anonymousreply 111/28/2012

I have to admit though, I LOVED Argo.

Great movie.

by Anonymousreply 211/28/2012

He's out there everywhere now because he's campaigning hard for a Director Oscar nom and win. It's terrifying that he could win. At this point a nomination is 98% certain. Clint is getting old and they need a new actor-director to overpraise and fawn over.

by Anonymousreply 311/28/2012

Entertainer of the Year? I don't know 7 people who went to see that film, no matter how well it was reviewed.

by Anonymousreply 411/28/2012

That may be true R4, but it's made $100 million so far. That's not nothing for an "adult" movie.

by Anonymousreply 511/28/2012

While I'm sure Argo was a good movie, Entertainer of the Year is a bit of a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 611/28/2012

Too bad he couldn't have managed to tell the truth in his movie. Insulting the true heroes in that story leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 711/28/2012

What do you mean r7? I didn't read anything about the movie. I just saw it and was surprised at how good it was.

by Anonymousreply 811/28/2012

R8, R7 is probably a Canadian who has his knickers in a twist because there wasn't enough "focus" on what his country did for the actual hostages.

by Anonymousreply 911/28/2012

The original ending put some text on the screen that said something like 'the Canadian Ambassador received 3000 medals and citations. The CIA agent never received a single fucking thing'. It implied the Canadian Ambassador was wrongfully receiving credit that should have gone to the CIA agent.

Also the movie made the CIA agents job look like some highly exciting and dangerous operation when really he was in Iran for like a day and a half and never in danger since the operation went off without a hitch.

by Anonymousreply 1011/28/2012

I'm not a Canadian. I just don't understand why the very courageous Canadians - who were the real heroes and brains behind the entire rescue - were made to look like their role was less than the CIA's. First the movie lies about the Canadian role and incredible risks they took to protect my fellow Americans and then it accused them of being dishonest about it and taking credit they didn't deserve. At least the film finally had the decency to change the end notes when called out on it - but they didn't do that until they were challenged. I'm glad Canada doesn't have nukes.

This was on the news and even film sites. How did you miss it? American jingoistic crap is what I call it.

by Anonymousreply 1111/28/2012

"I am crossing my fingers that this year's Best Director Oscar nominees are Steven Spielberg, Tom Hooper, Katherine Bigelow, David O. Russell and Ang Lee.:"

Kind of a spiteful wish unless you actually believe Affleck doesn't deserve a nomination.

Which, by the way, he does.

by Anonymousreply 1211/28/2012

I may be one of the few people here who has actually seen all 6 of those movies, R12. Spielberg, Hooper and Russell are locks. Bigelow a near lock. If it's between Ang Lee and Ben Affleck, I'm really not sure who gets the fifth slot. I liked Pi more than Argo, but WB is doing a huge campaign for Affleck... screenings all over town with him and other cast members.

by Anonymousreply 1311/28/2012

FWIW, r11, I'm a Canadian who's well aware of our tendency to over inflate our own importance and role/influence in outside affairs.

Taylor's role has always been controversial inside the country. The other Canadians involved were never even mentioned. That makes me think it was more his personal aggrandizement than anything else that brought their role into question.

Also, this is a cowboy operation, and the CIA doesn't have a good record when they let the cowboys run operations.

That's another reason why I think the Canadians did more than the movie suggests.

Since it's Hollywood though, I don't see why anyone would be offended--they do it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 1411/28/2012

Read this Celebitchy post about the EW interview. "My wife is a very polite and kind woman". Polite and kind - huh? That's what I say to praise my 7 yr old nephew when he's behaved himself at family gatherings. Contrast this with how he used to talk about JLo in the day.

Ben Affleck: still a douche.

by Anonymousreply 1511/28/2012

[quote]I just don't understand why the very courageous Canadians - who were the real heroes and brains behind the entire rescue - were made to look like their role was less than the CIA's.

R11, I have not seen a *single* thing indicating that the Canadians either helped hatch the escape plan or contributed to it. Yes, their ambassador did a great job of hiding the Americans for the better part of a year. We appreciate that. That doesn't mean they actually got them out of Iran. Finally, the whole *point* of the film end notes was that the CIA was unable to admit any role in the affair, and thus could not garner any kudos, because it wasn't declassified until the Clinton administration did so 20 years later; the Canadians didn't have that problem, and moreover, lapped up all the attention they could get back when the event really occurred (and were "forced" to take sole credit).

Sorry, but I don't see *any* reason for Canadians to suddenly get upset about all this. MAYBE if Canadian Secret Service agents had orchestrated the whole thing instead of the CIA, but they didn't, did they?

by Anonymousreply 1611/28/2012

I just saw a screening of Django Unchained. Add Tarantino to the list of best director nominee locks. Ang Lee and Affleck won't get nominated.

by Anonymousreply 1712/02/2012

The American film industry does have a nagging tendency to rewrite history perpetuating the 'narcissistic glory hog' stereotype. Saving Private Ryan might as well have been called 'America vs Germany'.

by Anonymousreply 1812/02/2012

The Daily Mail(UK) nearly every day publishes photos of the Affleck family either at the park, shopping, getting coffee, at the childrens' school or even just walking on a street with a baby carriage . . . it's ridiculous hype, obviously an attempt to help earn Ben an array of Oscar nominations for "Argo".

by Anonymousreply 1912/02/2012

Not surprised affleck played fast and loose with the truth but its common in hollywood films. Think he will be edged out by the more experienced directors. Even though i liked the film he has always been an insufferable fucking fame whore. Its sad when you admire someones talent but cant stand them personally. Entertainer of the year is bullshit. For one well received film?!

by Anonymousreply 2012/02/2012

He doesn't understand the meaning of overexposure? How about during his relationship with S--c cunt-delight, Jennifer Lopez? Christ, I think the PUBLIC felt over-exposed to that horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 2112/02/2012

More about Django please

by Anonymousreply 2212/02/2012

Django is very very good. Played amazingly well. Better than Les Mis, and that was one of the best screenings I've been to. It got a standing ovation -- something that hasn't happened at any of the screenings so far this year. Di Caprio is very likely for best supporting actor. Jamie Fox is doubtful just because Best Actor is already full. But definite Best Picture/Director/Original Screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 2312/02/2012

r21 AFFLECK didn't say that, you fucking moron.

I don't know why DL has its panties so in a twist about this guy, but it has the distinct whiff of jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 2412/02/2012

Thanks in the trailer Leo seems like he's not up to the part - no gravitas but that's great if he pulled it off

by Anonymousreply 2512/02/2012

He was all over TV this morning...with his fancy chocolate from sustainable sources in Adrixa or some money making goodwill scheme to help further erase memories if his Bentley driiving days as JLo's douche nozzle.

by Anonymousreply 2612/02/2012

he reminds me of mitt romney. It's ALL ABOUT HIM, HIM and HIM. And when that's all said and done, It's still about HIM

STFU you insufferable fuck Affleck

by Anonymousreply 2712/02/2012

R24 he may have not said that but his actions speak otherwise. Not jealous just sick of how he whores himself out to the media. First with all his shitty movies in the 2000s and his fucking j.ho and now he is doing everything but putting a sign around his neck saying take me seriously as a director! Let your fucking film speak for itself! He already has an oscar which was a fluke and he knows it.

by Anonymousreply 2812/02/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!