Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

We're getting our own "Downton Abbey": Julian Fellowes to create "The Gilded Age" for NBC

Is your main quibble with Downton Abbey that you have never been to Downton Abbey? You're in luck: NBC is developing a spinoff of the show set right here in the U.S. of America. And Julian Fellowes, the Fellowes behind Downton, is writing and producing it.

Unfortunately, the show's title has not been translated into American English, either as "Church from out Around the Way" or the perennially typo'd "Downtown Abbey." Instead, it will be called The Gilded Age and it will take place a couple decades before the beautifully costumed dramas of Downton Abbey, in the 1880s. Think less, "Is this Lady Mary's fiancé-cousin, Patrick Crawley? I thought he drowned with the Titanic," and more, "Is this Lucretia Rudolph's president-husband, James Garfield? I thought he was assassinated."

The Telegraph quotes Fellowes as describing The Gilded Age's setting as "a vivid time with dizzying, brilliant ascents and calamitous falls; of record-breaking ostentation and savage rivalry; a time when money was king." So expect lots of TENSE DISCUSSIONS conducted in LOW VOICES.

The show will take place in New York City, making it a natural replacement for Gossip Girl, which is wrapping up this year.

by Anonymousreply 2412/05/2012

If this were being done on HBO or even PBS I would say there was hope for it. But NBC? No way.

by Anonymousreply 111/28/2012

NBC? It'll be cancelled in it's third week.

by Anonymousreply 211/28/2012

It's not gonna fly with American audiences. We love to watch English people lord it over the lower classes, but we hate to see Americans do it, especially now.

by Anonymousreply 311/28/2012

I am sure there will be a lot of "borrowing" from Edith Wharton. She trod that territory much better than Julian could ever hope to do.

by Anonymousreply 411/28/2012

Agree with R1. The average audience size for DOWNTON ABBEY is fine for PBS or cable, but it won't cut it with a commerical network, even with the diminished viewership the networks get now.

Watch them cast a bunch of Brits and Aussies instead of American actors in 95% of the roles.

by Anonymousreply 511/28/2012

Send Cora packing, for the love of Marmite.

by Anonymousreply 611/28/2012

Wasn't this project originally associated with Shonda Rhimes (seriously)? I think we even had a thread about it here somewhere...

by Anonymousreply 711/28/2012

Martin Scorcese gave this to us already in "The Age of Innocence".

by Anonymousreply 811/28/2012

[quote]Martin Scorcese gave this to us already in "The Age of Innocence".

We can only have this entire culture of the late 19th-century Gilded Age depicted once and once only? Please explain your reasons for this somewhat startling claim.

by Anonymousreply 911/28/2012

Back when Upatairs Downstairs was successful, one of the networks tried to copy it with a show called Beacon Hill.

Like everyone here can see, but network programmers cannot, Americans don't like this sort of thing if it's not an import.

by Anonymousreply 1011/28/2012

HBO or PBS would do this right. Maybe AMC would.

But the fact the fact one of the big four networks is doing it spells disaster. They'll be very itchy to have high ratings to justify the production costs. When it doesn't get such ratings immediately, they'll start moving it around to different nights, which will only cause the ratings to go down further.

Plus, there's not a large audience for this type of show on broadcast network to begin with.

I'd say it will be canceled by the 8th or 9th episode.

by Anonymousreply 1111/28/2012

Just fucking wonderful. Fellowes to become more insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 1211/28/2012

Debra Messing will be cast as the Matron of Madsion Avenue and she will provide her own bustle.

by Anonymousreply 1311/28/2012

R1 R5 TOTALLY agree with both of you.

by Anonymousreply 1411/28/2012

I totally agree that NBC will ruin it. They'll put some "modern" touches in that have nothing to do with the period to attract a young audience but it will still flop. The kids are not going to watch a tv show set in the fucking 1880s. They probably would be bored with a tv show set in the 1980s for fuck's sake.

PBS, HBO or possibly AMC would be the way to go with this subject matter.

by Anonymousreply 1511/28/2012

It's hard to see it done as an ongoing series. British television tried to do this partially with "Copper" and bombed big-time.

I could see something like a 6-part series (based on something like Gore Vidal's "1876"); but an ongoing series? And on NBC???

by Anonymousreply 1611/28/2012

"From the network that brought you Supertrain . . .!"

by Anonymousreply 1711/29/2012

Starring Taylor Momsen as Edith Jones Wharton.

Ashton Kutcher as Ward McAllister.

Chace Crawford as William K. Vanderbilt.

Jennifer Love Hewitt as Alva Vanderbilt.

And Beyonce Knowles as Mrs. Caroline Astor.

by Anonymousreply 1811/29/2012

Prepare for a lot of green-screen action.

by Anonymousreply 1911/29/2012

If Julian Fellowes could write there might be some hope for this. But Downton is pretty much a triumph of production values over lazy, soap operatic writing. There's very little attention to period details and only a vague historical accuracy.

I can't imagine Fellowes writing about something that is completely foreign to him.

by Anonymousreply 2011/29/2012

I bet Linus Roache will be in it. He lives in NY but was in Fellowes' feeble Titanic miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 2112/04/2012

R3, said it all

by Anonymousreply 2212/05/2012

"We love to watch English people lord it over the lower classes, but we hate to see Americans do it, especially now."

Oh, pish-posh. Don't WATCH. . .DO! There's no better national pastime than lording it over the underclasses. It's simply scrumptious! And it's our God-given right!!!

by Anonymousreply 2312/05/2012

No matter how good or bad it will be, it will be cancelled because of budgetary reasons after 3 episodes

by Anonymousreply 2412/05/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!