Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The real reason gays have made progress

Is that you guys got to the gym and buffed up. We live in a shallow nation where sex appeal is 90% of the battle, and gays won the culture wars by working on their bodies. The evangelicals lost because they were pasty-faced dumpy schlubs. So don't let this latest progress turn you into couch potato bears! That way you would lose all your gains overnight! Keep to the gym guys.

by Anonymousreply 1611/28/2012

I mean, let's face it. To the average Joe and Jane, they follow the culture that they find most aesthetically pleasing. Hard oiled bodies win their approval. Bandannas, facial hair, and muffin tops do not.

by Anonymousreply 111/28/2012

As humorous as this is, the real reason gays made progess is we started coming out. The number one fighter of homophobia is knowing someone is gay, when people started realizing they knew gay people in their life and that they were just people like anyone else that makes all the difference in the world because we are no longer the mysterious "other".

To everyone that is out in their life, thank you. To all you closet cases, thanks for holding us back.

by Anonymousreply 211/28/2012

[quote]the real reason gays made progess is we started coming out

100 percent correct.

by Anonymousreply 311/28/2012

Disagree. If anything, most straight people have a greater acceptance of lesbians than they do for gay men.

And with all due respect, my lesbian sisters, as a general rule you are not as body-obsessed as we gay men are - than they do of gay men.

The real reason gays and lesbians have made progress is that we fought for it, politicized and demanded respect, dignity and equality.

by Anonymousreply 411/28/2012

I disagree. Look at any other minority that's gained gradual acceptance. At one time in America, there were signs on bars stating that, "No dogs or Irishmen allowed." When middle America realized that this was a false stereotype, attitudes changed. Personally I feel that instead of pressuring entertainment types to come out, if admirable leaders in medicine, research, and inventors that made our world a far better place got press it would make a major difference.

by Anonymousreply 511/28/2012

The nail polish is dry on your toenails now OP.

by Anonymousreply 611/28/2012

I never understood the discrimination against Irish people. I mean, gays, blacks, Hispanics, Jews I can understand, if only because they've been viewed as subhuman by whites/gentiles. But the Irish are white, too. What was the beef with them?

by Anonymousreply 711/28/2012

Yes OP because only beautiful gays deserve respect and recognition as human beings, not to mention civil rights.

Unfortunately, people like you prove that a big portion of gays is emotionally stunted, shallow and empty.

Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 811/28/2012

Hey, freeper shit stain at r9, the election's over. You lost BIG time. Give it up and get lost. Feel free to sign another petition to secede on your way out; your kind isn't wanted here anyway by the majority of this country who, unlike you, are on the right side of history.

by Anonymousreply 1011/28/2012

Let America belong to the Narcissists!

by Anonymousreply 1111/28/2012

I agree that one of the main reasons we have made progress is because more us are out. I also think it is because we have money. Money changes everything. If we didn't have spending power than we would still be third class group.

by Anonymousreply 1211/28/2012

R12 nailed it. It's money.

Gay marriage passed in NY because some republicans realized they'd get so much financial support by backing gay marriage, and they did. If it wasn't for money, NY still wouldn't have gay marriage. Obama also didn't back gay marriage until after he realized a gay dollar is worth more than a bigoted dollar.

In that sense, gays are like the Jews of sexual orientations.

by Anonymousreply 1311/28/2012

R7, Irish were discriminated against because they were considered "a minority," even if they were Protestant. My point is that anyone perceived as "different" is often disrespected.

by Anonymousreply 1411/28/2012

The real reason gays have made progress is because of the internet. I think the internet blew the doors off of the closet. There is strength in numbers, and now we're been able to band together thanks to...the internet.

by Anonymousreply 1511/28/2012

Homosexuals are men who, in 15 years of trying, can't get a pissant anti-discrimination bill through City Council.

by Anonymousreply 1611/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.