Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fried Greek cheese

What's it called? I knew it last night and was going to google it so I could try to make it but now i have no idea what it's called. It the dish that set on fire at your table?

I had it for the first time last night. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

PLEASE tell me how to make this at home. Thanks

by Anonymousreply 1111/28/2012

Google fried Greek cheese, numbnuts.

by Anonymousreply 111/28/2012

by Anonymousreply 211/28/2012

by Anonymousreply 311/28/2012

R2 is right.

It's a very easy dish to make. I don't know my recipe off the top of my head but just Google Saganaki recipes and I'm pretty sure they are all just about the same. There's a few tips I can give you that might not be in the web recipes. One is to let the cheese sit out for at least 30 min before you cut it into the size peices you are cooking, otherwise it crumbles and falls apart. I use a cast iron pan to cook it during the second stage, in the oven, and preheat the pan in the oven while I'm pan frying the cheese. It cuts down on the cooking time and there is less chance of accidently burning it while waiting for the cheese to get melty. You don't need to use any specific alchohol for the last step, I usualy use brandy but anything with out a lot of contrasting flavor works.

Enjoy, but be carefull tho, Saganaki has a ton of calories.

by Anonymousreply 411/28/2012

O think its haloumi or halouma something like that love it myself.

by Anonymousreply 511/28/2012

Any advice on when to cut the cheese, r5?

by Anonymousreply 611/28/2012

Haloumi. It's great grilled as well.

by Anonymousreply 711/28/2012

The easiest way to do it is to pop the block of cheese under the broiler until the top gets bubbly and golden, then remove it, sprinkle with the brandy and ignite. Squeeze a little lemon over the top and serve with bread or pita.

by Anonymousreply 811/28/2012

Thanks so much for all the information and help. I guess I could have just googled fried Greek cheese but I wasn't sure I'd get the right thing, I thought there probably was more than one Greek cheese dish. I'm such a dork.

by Anonymousreply 911/28/2012

Haloumi is something else; a particular brined cheese, from Cyprus, and need not be fried.

by Anonymousreply 1011/28/2012

I've always used Kaseri cheese when I've made Saganaki, tho other cheeses might be good too.

by Anonymousreply 1111/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!