Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rick Warren: Same sex marriage like punching a guy in the nose

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Megachurch pastor Rick Warren on Tuesday night said that same sex relationships would still be sinful even if they were natural.

“It wouldn’t bother me if there was a ‘gay gene’ found,” he told CNN host Piers Morgan.

“Here’s what we know about life,” Warren continued. “I have all kinds of natural feelings in my life and it doesn’t necessarily mean that I should act on every feeling. Sometimes I get angry and feel like punching a guy in the nose. That doesn’t mean I act on it. Sometimes I feel attracted to women who are not my wife. I don’t act on it. Just because I have a feeling doesn’t make it right. Not everything natural is good for me. Arsenic is natural.”

The evangelical Christian pastor said people were naturally predisposed to enjoy certain things, which could be good or bad. While those attractions themselves were morally neutral, acting on them could be wrong.

Watch video, courtesy of CNN, below:

by Anonymousreply 7204/07/2013

Wow. What a ridiculous comparison. Punching a face is wrong because it is a violent act that cause physical pain and harm to the person on the receiving end. Punching someone in the face is in no way comparable to two consenting adults engaging in a loving relationship. You don't cheat on your spouse because you made a commitment to them. His comparisons are ridiculously off base.

by Anonymousreply 111/28/2012

"I have all kinds of natural feelings in my life and it doesn’t necessarily mean that I should act on every feeling."

Right there that says that, while Rick Warren acknowledges that LGTB people have "feelings," he figures they should disregard being human. He used the word "every" as if he has the impression that, with LGBT people, they tend to be irresponsible and undisciplined. And, yes, he's interested in the sex lives of the LGBT community. (Oh, and that LGBT people experience love. Yes. Rick Warren might suppose, momentarily, that there is that too.)

by Anonymousreply 211/28/2012

Eh, fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 311/28/2012

He should have used overeating as his example.

by Anonymousreply 411/28/2012

closet case.

by Anonymousreply 511/28/2012

R6 = Rick Santorum

by Anonymousreply 711/28/2012

Isn't he over now? Closeted fag.

by Anonymousreply 811/28/2012

R6's breasts grow oh-so-fiercely in the moonlight.

by Anonymousreply 911/28/2012

R6, ignore your natural feelings, please.

by Anonymousreply 1011/28/2012

Punching a guy in the nose? I think he's doing it wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1111/28/2012

We need respectable, intelligent people in the media, in govt, and public life to clearly state that people like this are frauds and hatemongers. "Megachurch" megaprofits - grotesque, not spiritual. People have been to respectful to these outright frauds and they have gone too far, ruining society, warping the electoral system.

by Anonymousreply 1211/28/2012

Arsenic is natural? Well, so is marijuana! So put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!

by Anonymousreply 1311/28/2012

SO clearly gay.

by Anonymousreply 1411/28/2012

The gluttony issue should definitely have been brought up.

by Anonymousreply 1511/28/2012

...closet-case face for days...

by Anonymousreply 1611/28/2012

Is this guy fat, R15? Doesn't matter if he is or isn't because a high percentage of his followers (fundies) definitely are. Not surprising since food is the only vice they're allowed. But.... it sure would be poetic if he was morbidly fat too.

by Anonymousreply 1711/28/2012

How can you tell, R16? So much of his face is covered up with fat and facial hair.

by Anonymousreply 1811/28/2012

Obama better not invite him back to his second inauguration.

by Anonymousreply 1911/28/2012

I knew Obama was a wanker when he kissed this guy's ass. I'm glad he "evolved" when the polling data told him it was safe to do so (and Joe Biden gaffed him into it), but I'll never trust him.

by Anonymousreply 2011/28/2012

He looks like a deeply insecure homosexual taking his revenge on the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 2111/28/2012

Religious people will continue to speak out against us. Chick Fil A will continue to do so as well. Look at the election and read the analysis of the future of the voter.

Their time has passed, our time is now. We needed dwell on these dweebs. We need to remain aware of them, but all we have to do is continue to reach the voter and we will prevail.

We can't 'convert' evangelicals. Their own ideology is making them irrelevant. All we can do is make sure that the course they are on, they continue on.

by Anonymousreply 2211/28/2012

Keep in mind this is the same Rick Warren to whom our now POTUS said:

"I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian — for me — for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God’s in the mix".

That was a dark day for gay people, California's Prop 8, and other State's marriage equality and same-sex parenting battles in 2008.

Thankfully, Obama has evolved; it's unlikely Warren ever will.

by Anonymousreply 2311/28/2012

People railed against interracial marriage for the longest time and one primary reason for it was the bible. Whites shouldn't mingle with slaves. After interracial marriage got legalized and a generation or so went by, who rails against it in public now? Nobody. Some might still harbor their bigoted feelings, but they don't preach against it at the pulpit. I wonder if SSM will go the same route? All we have to do is get equality and then wait a generation and what preacher will speak out against something that's been the norm for all of their life?

I wonder.

by Anonymousreply 2411/28/2012

To me, it sounds as if he's admitting he has same sex attractions or urges. If you believe all men are typically obsessed with sex in general (I mean, really, how long do any of you guys go without thinking about it?), then it's likely guys such as Warren are obsessed with gay sex because it's literally *all* they think about. Day and night. Night and day. And how they're not getting it. So it comes out as denial concealed by hate and rage.

by Anonymousreply 2511/28/2012

"Punching a face is wrong because it is a violent act that cause physical pain and harm to the person on the receiving end."

Obviously you don't engage in fisting.

by Anonymousreply 2611/28/2012

To a large extent I agree with him.

Whether or not something is natural or genetic is a silly test for whether it should be socially permissible. He is correct that many behaviors which should be penalized may well be natural or genetic.

Rather than focusing on that, we should focus on the standard political issues for what society should and should not accept, on questions of freedom, utilitarian principles of balancing social goods versus behavior that hurts others, self-actualization, and the Golden Rule.

And when we do, the correct conclusion is that same sex relationships and marriage are an expression of freedom, don't hurt others, self-actualize those who wish to enter them, and that permitting them is, for straight people, treating others as they would have themselves be treated, with dignity and respect.

We have always fallen into the trap of this counterargument by relying on nature versus nurture for the establishment of our rights.

by Anonymousreply 2711/28/2012

by Anonymousreply 2811/28/2012

If he's not a closet case then he has a gay stylist who's playing a joke on him. He looks gayer now than he did around the time of the obama statements.

by Anonymousreply 2911/28/2012

This guy isn't just an asshole, he is dangerous. He has spent a lot of time and money supporting and establishing extreme evangelical (and very anti-gay) churches and ministries in Uganda. He has been part of the push to make them an evangelical Christian country. It's a story that isn't very well covered in the US (American evangelical Christian groups trying to push for Christian theocracies in Africa)

by Anonymousreply 3011/28/2012

Typical internalized homophobic behavior, he all but admits, he has same sex attractions. He wants all gays to live in his self loathing world!! I don't believe he hasn't acted on all his feelings either.

by Anonymousreply 3111/28/2012

He looks like an everyday Joe bear to me.

by Anonymousreply 3211/28/2012

Come on gents - you didn't think the Right was going to ever embrace us did you? They'll always think it's a choice no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 3311/28/2012

gay gay gay gay gay.

by Anonymousreply 3411/28/2012

He is such a fucking idiot. He went on and on about how GOD saved his daughter in law by making her go into labor prematurely, therefore not rupturing an aneurysm in her brain. Here's a thought: WHY NOT SUCH TAKE OUT THE ANEURYSM ALTOGETHER GOD???

by Anonymousreply 3511/28/2012

Obvious his gluttony is a response to his deep self-loathing over his same sex feelings.

What a porker.

One looks at his frau and you can tell he's a mo.

by Anonymousreply 3611/28/2012

link to his frau please

by Anonymousreply 3711/28/2012

He assumes that same sex attraction is wrong, like his perhaps being attracted to another woman than his wife. But of course there is nothing wrong with same sex attraction- in fact it is wonderful if it was you and the other person desire.

And here is the clincher: In our country what any religious document says has no bearing on the validity of same sex attraction. In fact, you do not have to attend any church of believe in any religion to be a good citizen in the US.

He and others like him mix up the law with religious doctrine (and even that can be debated.) Of course at the core of it all is bigotry. He just utters bigotted ideas with a smile. I do not respect him one iota- and I would never have such a man as part of inaugural ceremonies as Obama did. That was one time I disagreed with Obama. Warren is simply a bigot. Religion is not an excuse to promote and espouse bigotted social policy. Period.

by Anonymousreply 3811/28/2012

Boxing is now long-established and steadily popular, so the analogy with gay marriage is quite constructive.

by Anonymousreply 3911/28/2012

R37 A picture of his frau is briefly shown at the beginning of the video OP posted. She's not bad.

And Rick is clearly a flaming homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 4011/28/2012

by Anonymousreply 4111/28/2012

Ignore the race-baiting troll above me.

by Anonymousreply 4311/28/2012

Why don't we amend the CA state constitution to outlaw marriage for the gluttonous?

Gluttony is a sin. There are public health consequences associated with gluttony. I wonder how gluttonous Rick Warren would like that?

by Anonymousreply 4411/28/2012

'Repugnant' r42? Interesting word choice.

You might have said gays' struggle for civil rights has similarities with and differences from black people's, but 'repugnant'?

hateful moron.

by Anonymousreply 4511/28/2012

by Anonymousreply 4611/28/2012

I'm sure his A-card has been punched many, many times.

by Anonymousreply 4711/28/2012

Fuck off, R42.

by Anonymousreply 4811/28/2012

Just f&f R42.

by Anonymousreply 4911/28/2012

[quote]I knew Obama was a wanker when he kissed this guy's ass. I'm glad he "evolved" when the polling data told him it was safe to do so (and Joe Biden gaffed him into it), but I'll never trust him.

Oh will you just shut the fuck up already? Obama never ever ran as an ultra-progressive. He always ran as a centrist moderate. People ASSUMED he'd be super liberal because he's black.

Obama repealed DADT, something Bill Clinton put into law 18 years prior. Gay rights have progressively gotten better and stronger under his watch on many fronts including several states accepting gay marriages. So basically, stop bitching.

by Anonymousreply 5011/28/2012

[quote]He always ran as a centrist moderate.

Do you think that is acceptable?

by Anonymousreply 5111/28/2012

r51, it's not ideal, but that's exactly what he ran as both in 2008 and this year. The Conservatives have tried to make him out to be the next Karl Marx but he's pretty much a "Third Way Democrat" like Bill and Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 5211/28/2012

I wonder what Obama thinks of him today.

by Anonymousreply 5311/28/2012

What a jerk! Where did this "America's pastor" crap come from anyway. I was sooooo disappointed when Obama had him for the prayer 4 years ago - I hope Obama has evolved since then.

by Anonymousreply 5411/28/2012

I want to punch him in the nose.

by Anonymousreply 5511/28/2012

People like this fill me with RAGE. I hope he gets rectal cancer.

by Anonymousreply 5611/28/2012

You're right, R30 but it's rarely talked about. It's like colonization all over again. It's frightening.

by Anonymousreply 5711/29/2012

Again, he has so clearly struggled with same-sex attraction it's a joke. He reminds me of that closeted anti-gay sci-fi writer.

by Anonymousreply 5811/29/2012

I think somebody came in his eye one time and he's been on a tear ever since.

by Anonymousreply 5911/29/2012

Some blond surfer dude broke his heart when he was a teenager and this is his revenge!

by Anonymousreply 6011/29/2012

by Anonymousreply 6111/30/2012

by Anonymousreply 6204/06/2013

It should have been him.

by Anonymousreply 6304/06/2013

It must feel like a punch in the face for him to realize he spent all his time spreading hate when he could have been helping his son.

by Anonymousreply 6404/06/2013

Helping his son what? His son may have shared his stupid views.

by Anonymousreply 6504/07/2013

Rick Warren looks like every 52 year old male flight attendant I work with. If he isn't gay, I'm the Queen of England.

This cunt needs to join forces with Ted Haggard and "work out" their issues in a "holy" way.

by Anonymousreply 6604/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 6704/07/2013

That guy doesn't make any sense.

by Anonymousreply 6804/07/2013

Yeah. Same sex marriage is like a kick in the balls or having your son kill himself.

by Anonymousreply 6904/07/2013

Fat fuck. Who died and made him God? Who cares what that man believes? As Joy would say--so what? Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 7004/07/2013

I did answer your prayers, Rick.

I said, "Fuck no, loser!"

by Anonymousreply 7104/07/2013

karma cycles faster and faster since the shift

by Anonymousreply 7204/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!