Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sexual tension between the father and son on "Raising Hope"

I just started watching this show, and am I crazy, or is there something... vibey going on there? It's the way they look at each other.

Oh, and the fact that the father stuck three fingers in the son's mouth on last week's show.

by Anonymousreply 5511/26/2013

What you're "seeing" is probably Garret Dillahunt's acting. He plays the character with an extremely open, loveable/huggable dopeyness. Factor in that there are many bonding scenes between him and the son, and there you go. I'm pretty sure it's only a gay man thing to get that vibe from a man's fingers in another man's that context, at least.

by Anonymousreply 111/27/2012

Don't forget the scene where the son had to shave dad's junk before surgery.

by Anonymousreply 211/27/2012

Dillahunt has major gayface. I can't take him seriously as a hetero in anything.

by Anonymousreply 311/27/2012

There's also a semi-running joke about the parents assuming the son is gay and coming out to them.

by Anonymousreply 411/28/2012

No there isn't, R4.

by Anonymousreply 511/28/2012

Garret Dillahunt is gay - he dated a friend of mine in NYC when they were struggling actors.

by Anonymousreply 611/28/2012

Oh...I heard he had been unfaithful to his wife with another woman at one point. But hey, he was in the NYU and NYC theatre scene, so I guess anything goes.

by Anonymousreply 711/28/2012

That's the father? Did he have him when he was 5.

by Anonymousreply 811/28/2012

R8 The parents were 15.

by Anonymousreply 911/28/2012

So derivative!

by Anonymousreply 1011/28/2012

Was he a top or bottom, R6? Did you hang out with the happy couple?

by Anonymousreply 1111/28/2012

Did anyone read the title as...

Sexual tension between the father and son on "Ryan's Hope"

by Anonymousreply 1211/28/2012

No, R12. Only you.

by Anonymousreply 1311/28/2012

Don't know the show. So is the dad in OP's picture the guy on the left or the right?

by Anonymousreply 1411/28/2012

Dumbest. Question. Ever. R14.

by Anonymousreply 1511/29/2012

I shave my feet!

by Anonymousreply 1611/29/2012

So, I'm guessing dad is on the left. The guy on the right with the retro 80s hair is the son. Right?

by Anonymousreply 1711/29/2012

Gee, what was your first fucking clue?

by Anonymousreply 1811/29/2012

There was that episode last season where Hope is acting out (i.e. writing on walls, removing stove dials, breaking Virginia's Porkchester collection) and Jimmy has to figure out how to discipline her. In the flashback to when he was 4, it was revealed that Jimmy and his father had become "pee-pee brothers" by pissing together and letting their streams cross, thus making them pee-pee brothers. (Kinda like blood brothers but with piss.)

Anyway, they both had a falling out in the episode, with Burt telling Jimmy they were no longer pee-pee brothers. But, of course, their differences were resolved, and the episode ended with them reclaiming their pee-pee brotherhood. It shows the two of them going into the bathroom, with smiles on their faces. :-P

by Anonymousreply 1912/11/2012

[quote]the episode ended with them reclaiming their pee-pee brotherhood. It shows the two of them going into the bathroom, with smiles on their faces.

Yea, that got me hard.

by Anonymousreply 2012/11/2012

Oh, my!

by Anonymousreply 2112/11/2012

I love the fact that it's so obvious that both father and son have ROCKIN' bodies under the T shirts they usually wear.

by Anonymousreply 2212/11/2012

Wrong, R13. I read it that way as well.

Hugs, R12.

by Anonymousreply 2312/11/2012

[quote]I love the fact that it's so obvious that both father and son have ROCKIN' bodies under the T shirts they usually wear.

Jimmy has got some nice legs/thighs, too. In one episode opener, Burt is retouching Virginia's pink work pants with a pink marker. It has a hole in it and he's just coloring her exposed skin to match the pants. haha

When Burt asks jimmy how his pants are doing, he says he could use a tune-up and pulls down his blue jeans to reveal his surprisingly muscular legs/thighs with blue "patches" on them. I found that funny 'cause Virginia didn't need to pull her pants down, and here Jimmy is standing in just his tighty-whitties as his father reaches for a blue marker in order to retouch the patches on his legs. haha

by Anonymousreply 2512/11/2012

Does anyone know when Dillahunt got married? The first thing I saw him in was the Showtime series "Leap Years." He played a gay character and his real life wife was his fag hag. But I'm not sure if they met on the show or were already married when they were cast.

by Anonymousreply 2612/11/2012

[quote]I love the fact that it's so obvious that both father and son have ROCKIN' bodies under the T shirts they usually wear.

I don't know what you're talking about with Jimmy/Lucas. He has quite an unattractive torso. He was fat when he was younger and does not appear to have the naturally fit-looking abdominals at all. But, eh.

by Anonymousreply 2712/11/2012

Oh, and I see Dillahunt as fit-fat. Pretty nice for his age, though.

by Anonymousreply 2812/11/2012

[quote]The parents were 15

I know that's the premise of the show, but considering Dillahunt is actually 48 years old (I know, he has a rocking body!), he could have easily been allowed to play a conventionally aged parent to Jimmy's 20-or-so year old character.

by Anonymousreply 2912/11/2012

It's a great show, certainly the first season. (The awesome Martha Plimpton helps a lot too, though my only issue is how they humiliate Cloris Leachman, who deserves better).

Great ep in Season One where pool man Dillahunt takes off shirt to flirt with customer ladies -- and he indeed is the one with the body. The son less so, at least from the waist up, but he is still adorable. Some find him the weak link acting wise (he got it straight out of college) but I think he's perfect in the role, very Likeable and very sexy even when they try to make him a loser.

by Anonymousreply 3012/11/2012

Perhaps the closed thing to a live-action SIMPSONS.

And most impressive Doomsday Preppers Christmas Special EVER!!

Cloris is absolutely in her element on this show - she IS MawMaw! (Notice that the producers are "introducing" her every week!)

Dillahunt makes a great stud, but his comedic timing is even sexier than his killer bod and sizzling good looks. Playful and goofy, he approaches everything with childlike wonder; yet the double entendres that pepper the repartee between his Burt and Martha Plimpton's Virginia make for entertainment the whole family can enjoy.

Everyone is quirky in their own way, but everyone is accepting of each other's quirks. Some of the episodes we've enjoyed so far have dealt with forcible rape, incest, flatulence, homosexuality, teen pregnancy, severe diets, obsessive-compulsive disorder, death, senile dementia, incontinence, addiction and substance abuse.

And the cute, eponymous kid. She reminds me of Tabitha Stevens. I hope that once she starts talking, she doesn't kill the show.

I am grateful for and loving of this season. Still a gimp suit and a lot of laughs away from being just another American Horror Story.

by Anonymousreply 3112/12/2012

Bukkake scene featuring Burt from Raising Hope.

by Anonymousreply 3202/18/2013

I just can't buy Dillahunt as a straight or even bi guy in anything. He has gay face you could see from the Moon. Casting him was a big mistake.

by Anonymousreply 3302/18/2013

Again, only on Datalounge is the heterosexual Dillahunt fervently believed to be gay because of posters' "infallible" gaydar or expressed desires.

I'm a gay man and I know both Dillahunt and his wife and they are about as straight as you can get.

by Anonymousreply 3402/18/2013

R34, that's simply not believable.

by Anonymousreply 3502/18/2013

Currently on OP's Ipod:

by Anonymousreply 3602/18/2013

[quote]Garret Dillahunt is gay - he dated a friend of mine in NYC when they were struggling actors.

Omg, I knew it!

by Anonymousreply 3702/18/2013

What's the story on Lucas Neff? He's hot!

by Anonymousreply 3802/18/2013

I first noticed Dillahunt as Jesus in Book of Daniel. Even in Dead Sea Pedestrian drag he was hot.

by Anonymousreply 3902/18/2013

Dillahunt played as a gay lawyer in the movie Any Day Now. He and Alan Cumming really did a good job in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 4006/03/2013

r28, Dillahunt is NOT fit-fat. He is fit and sexy as hell.

by Anonymousreply 4106/03/2013

They've been leading up - for a long time - to the revelation that sonny is not the biological child of Dillahunt's character. The idea then is for Dillahunt to start chasing the son because his "paternal" love turns about to be bi-crush. Supposedly they're going to get drunk and cut to the next morning where they decide never to talk about what happened. And then it turns out the DNA tests were messed up.

by Anonymousreply 4206/03/2013

There's some serious sexual tension between me and my dad.

by Anonymousreply 4309/06/2013

That was on Days of Our Lives, R42.

by Anonymousreply 4409/06/2013

True story: I went sailing a couple of weeks ago with my friend (40s) and his son (in college) and some of his friends/family. Dad and son shared a bed in the boat. I woke up one morning and they were snuggled up together sleeping. Christ, that turned me on!

by Anonymousreply 4509/07/2013

R43, do tell

by Anonymousreply 4609/07/2013

Notice any morning wood?

by Anonymousreply 4709/07/2013

Oh fuck off with that stupid incest shit, R42.

As-fucking-IF a show like Raising Hope would have the father and son get sexual with each other, you goddamn reject!

by Anonymousreply 4809/07/2013

In other photos you can find on line, Garret Dillahunt looks his age. But in OP's photo (from the show), I agree it looks like there's maybe 10 years' age difference at most between "father" and "son."

by Anonymousreply 4909/07/2013

Lucas Neff (the son) looks like he has little to no penis. He acts like, it, too.

by Anonymousreply 5009/08/2013

Just saw Lucas Neff on an LA morning show. His real voice and sense of humor is SO gay. Yep, he's gay.

by Anonymousreply 5111/21/2013

Could the characters in "Raising Hope" be pre-sexual? Although there are plenty of double entendres and many situations that viewers perceive as sexual in nature, the motives behind the characters seem naive and...innocent. The filth, Charlotte, is entirely in your mind.

Reminds me of SpongeBob, and the controversy over whether he and Patrick are lovers. Likewise, Bert and Ernie.

The characters on "Raising Hope" are no more sexualized than cartoons or puppets.

by Anonymousreply 5211/26/2013

the dad and the son on that show are so delicous

by Anonymousreply 5311/26/2013

Lucas took his shirt off this season…WOW

He's been working out…great bod

by Anonymousreply 5411/26/2013

don't really feel the son but the dad seems like someone you could make sweet love to all night long

by Anonymousreply 5511/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!