Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

'The Bridges of Madison County' on OVATION

Clint was wayyyyyyyyy too old for his part. But Meryl was decent in her part, although she doesn't 'look' Italian. The man and woman who portray Meryl's children are patently dull and awful, but I love the scene where she's in the truck with her family and she sees Clint's truck and almost bolts out of her car to join him, but doesn't, then bursts into tears...

by Anonymousreply 2811/28/2012

[quote]I love the scene where she's in the truck with her family and she sees Clint's truck and almost bolts out of her car to join him, but doesn't, then bursts into tears...

That scene always gets me.

I agree that all the stuff with the kids was dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 111/27/2012

Yeah, the kids sucked.

It's funny how a book derided by critics turned out to be a superior film.

by Anonymousreply 211/27/2012

it's only superior because of Streep's performance. Eastwood was already too old for the part. Laughable as a sex symbol. But Streep's accent is 100% spot on, she nails every inflection that an Italian has when speaking English.

by Anonymousreply 311/27/2012

Have you ever been to Italy? Many Italians would no doubt impress you as not looking at all Italian.

by Anonymousreply 411/27/2012

Eastwood was also excellent in this film.

by Anonymousreply 511/27/2012

Many Italians from mainland Italy don't look at all like the Giudician apes we're used to seeing in the US.

by Anonymousreply 611/27/2012

Can you believe I lost to Susan Sarandon as a nun for this?

by Anonymousreply 711/27/2012

The book was so laughibly written, but I remember M gently noting the novel had its "own fans."

by Anonymousreply 811/27/2012

That book was the 'Eat Pray Love' of its' time.

by Anonymousreply 911/27/2012

God I hated that book so much that I wanted to burn it after I finished with it. The movie was only marginally better.

by Anonymousreply 1011/27/2012

The soundtrack is superb. Totally worthy even as a stand alone album without the movie connection.

by Anonymousreply 1111/27/2012

This is one of my top replies whenever a discussion arises about insanely good acting in films that don't deserve it.

Although it's been awhile, I've actually sat through this movie just to get to that scene with Streep dying to leap out of the car and run to Clint. Gotta give him credit for giving Streep such a showcase.

by Anonymousreply 1211/28/2012

One of meryls top 5 roles. Love the end at the bridge and meryls haunting voiceover "go well my children" always puts a lump in my throat.

by Anonymousreply 1311/28/2012

OP, the husband was "patently portrayed as dull and awful" because that is exactly what he was supposed to be!

The husband was supposed to be an Iowa farmer who is unknowledgeable, insensitive to feelings, dull, boring, uneducated, unworldly, limited, narrow, and clueless about the passion of love and lust or unwilling to engage in such.

And the children were purposely played as boorish, simple, unschooled, unworldly, unknowing.

by Anonymousreply 1411/28/2012

And when the kids were adults they were purposely shown as still being limited in scope, narrow, provincial, and unknowing about the world.

by Anonymousreply 1511/28/2012

OP didn't mention the husband, but yeah, he was insufferably boring.

I have to ask what would make a woman relocate from her homeland to a place like Iowa, with a boring, uninteresting farmer? My guess is that postwar conditions in Italy must have been so bad that any port in a storm would do.

by Anonymousreply 1611/28/2012

I love her moments with the dog. That relationship was very real.

by Anonymousreply 1711/28/2012

Hmmmm, I WONder how Glenn Close might have handled the role?

by Anonymousreply 1811/28/2012

Here's Boticelli's Venus (thought to be modelled on Simonetta Cataneo Vespucci); does she meet your stereotypical view of what an Italian woman looks like.

by Anonymousreply 1911/28/2012

They should have cast her:

by Anonymousreply 2011/28/2012

The car scene

by Anonymousreply 2111/28/2012

I thought of Angelica Houston for the female lead - she would seem more Italian.

But Streep did lift up this dreck.

by Anonymousreply 2211/28/2012

I bawled like a baby at the end of this film. La Streep was superb. Brilliantly acted.

by Anonymousreply 2311/28/2012

"La Streep" sounds so wrong.

by Anonymousreply 2411/28/2012

La Streep, La Streep, la post nasal drip

by Anonymousreply 2511/28/2012

R6 "Giudician apes". Can't stop laughing!

by Anonymousreply 2611/28/2012

This has to win the award for fucking stupid frau movie of all time. Jesus, I can be a sap for a good story, and Meryl may well be God, but this one didn't have a single redeeming quality. Guess what, Mama had an affair with a photog. BFD.

I nearly pulled my hair out and ran for the fucking door as they sat in their respective cars in the rain for 15 minutes weeping before pulling away.

by Anonymousreply 2711/28/2012

Well, you're just a big ole marshmallow, aren't you R27?!

by Anonymousreply 2811/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!