Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"My One and Only" on Broadway

Looks like it was cute.

Anyone see it back in the day?

by Anonymousreply 1111/28/2012

I did OP - and I still have the Playbill. Mid '80's New York, with a dear friend who would be a quilt panel 2 years later. Tommy Tune, Twiggy, Denny Dillon, the guy that played "D-Day" in Animal House.

It was a fun, light musical; Tommy tap danced, Twiggy sang (passably); the audience liked it as did I.

Now and then you want a fun evening in the theatre - "The Drowsy Chaperone" was another.

by Anonymousreply 111/27/2012

I saw it as well. It was charming.

by Anonymousreply 211/27/2012

Charming, but Twiggy REALLY couldn't sing.

by Anonymousreply 311/27/2012

Yes it was great. Loved Twiggy.

by Anonymousreply 411/27/2012

It had a famously troubled gestation. As originally conceived and directed by Peter Sellars, it was darkly satirical with the peppy Gershwin tunes used as counterpoint to a story of Depression-era misery. That entire production was scrapped after a disastrous tryout in Boston. Tommy Tune took over and remade it into its final light, fluffy form (with uncredited "doctoring" from Harold Prince).

by Anonymousreply 511/27/2012

I love Twiggy's strange singing voice. So many Broadway singers all sound the same. She can certainly carry a tune...just maybe in a weird-shaped bucket.

by Anonymousreply 611/27/2012

It was pretty wonderful and sweet. I saw it in 83 or 84. I took my young cousins and aunt after their father had died in a plane crash. It was their first night in NYC ever from Ohio. They were awestruck and we sang and danced in the street all the way to Un Deux Trois for supper and desserts. I still listen to the soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 711/27/2012

This is sheer brilliance ...all 8 minutes of it.

Twiggy seems like a projection beaming in from 1927.

by Anonymousreply 811/27/2012

I loved it. The show had a dramatic back story. The out of town production directed by theater wunderkind Peter Sellars was essentially dismissed as a major flop, the reviews were toxic. Sellars quit or was fired, Tommy Tune took over the direction, ordered some new sets, choreographed new dances and brought it into New York complete with an "Aw shucks" curtain speech that also cemented the odd underdog status of a show that people had just screamed and cheered for over the last two hours.

Twiggy was sublime, Tune was winning and athletic and the chorus of older African American "Chitlin' Circuit" tappers like Charles "Honie" Coles was sentimental and sensational. The finale of "Kicking the Clouds Away" was one of the best numbers I have ever seen on Broadway. A really fun night in of theater. The curtain speech, basically a product of the troubled out of town "We're still getting this right" period was never cut, and continued to the final performance. The audience ate it up!

by Anonymousreply 911/28/2012

I got to play rehearsal and pit piano in Dallas for the tour version with Tune & Stephanie Zimbalist. What a fun show it was! Tune was a darling during dance rehearsals and the duo piano arrangements were challenging but a blast to play! The conductor, Jack Lee, was a bitch on wheels, but he knew his stuff (the old-timers in the orchestra told me that he had mellowed from the old days -- I found that hard to believe).

by Anonymousreply 1011/28/2012

My sister saw it and thought it was terrible She said the only thing that kept her from walking out was that she was there with a friend, and afterwards the friend said the only thing that kept her from walking out was she thought my sister might be enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 1111/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.