Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Philly Cheesesteak

I've never had one.

Am I missing anything?

by Anonymousreply 3911/29/2012

by Anonymousreply 111/27/2012

A cheesesteak with fried onions (mixed with the steak as it cooks, not just plopped on as a topping) with Cheese Whiz. Mmmmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 211/27/2012

Sounds disgusting R2. The ones served here, called a cheesesteak without the Philly, is thinly sliced and seasoned sirloin with onion and green pepper, sometimes mushrooms if desired, then put into a hoagie roll, topped with provolone and grilled til the cheese melts.

Voila and delicious. I wouldn't eat that shit in a can called Cheese Whiz.

by Anonymousreply 311/27/2012

You're missing tons of saturated fat, sodium, thousands of calories, white bread and a total delight!

It's an occasional indulgence of mine. I'd pick a philly cheesesteak over a Big Mac or any fast food.

by Anonymousreply 411/27/2012

A real Philly cheesesteak is made with either American or provolone. Whiz is for the tourists.

by Anonymousreply 511/27/2012

As a lifelong Philadelphian, I can attest that [r5] is full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 611/27/2012

Do you need to go to one of those places in Philadlephia to get the authentic version, or can you get them elsewhere.

This place looks cool. Is Geno's, The Place?

by Anonymousreply 711/27/2012

If I had been buried with a shovel, by now I would have dug myself out of my Christ Church grave and crawled my bones out of the hideous cesspit that my beloved Philadelphia has become.

Cheesesteak? Dogmeat pushed through a mangler, topped with whey clots and stunk up with greasy weeds to mask the stench.

by Anonymousreply 811/27/2012

Geno's and Pat's are for tourists. Go to John's Roast Pork instead.

by Anonymousreply 911/27/2012

It's always good to hear from zombie Ben Franklin.

by Anonymousreply 1011/27/2012

BF would have loved to gum down a cheesesteak. Really, R9, such odd ideas you have.

by Anonymousreply 1111/27/2012

Provolone ONLY no American or Whiz.

by Anonymousreply 1211/27/2012

We finally have an authentic cheesesteak place here in Plano opened by a Philly ex-pat. They fly in the rolls from the bakery in Philly that does Geno's.

by Anonymousreply 1311/27/2012

r9, once every two weeks all my co-workers (10) put in their requests and two of us would drive to John's Roast Pork to pick up the order.

by Anonymousreply 1411/27/2012

On a semi-related note, is Baltimore pit beef any good? I only know it from [italic]Pecker.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 1511/27/2012

Funny you should ask, OP. I just had a chicken cheesesteak (whiz wit) from the lunch cart outside work today. I'm in Philly, and I probably eat 2 cheesesteaks a year. It's cold and rainy today so a cheesesteak sounded like a good idea.

Cheesesteaks are not particularly good, IMO. I live near Pat's and Geno's and I never go to either, although they're open all night. I find cheesesteaks particularly gross. Joey Vento from Geno's was a particular racist scumbag and I hope he is shoveling shit in hell. Notice the picture of Daniel Faulkner in r7's photo prominently placed near the counter. That's the officer Mumia shot.

Pat's at least has tasty cheesefries.

And r5 is totally wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1611/27/2012

R5 grew up in the suburbs, only came to the city for sporting events, moved away after high school decades ago, and still avoids the city during trips home "because of the crime" (like the rest of his white bread family) but tells everyone he's "from Philly". The only cheesesteaks he's eaten are from shithole pizza joints in Delco, lower Bucks or (shudder) "South Jersey".

I've lived IN the city since childhood and I can tell you many locals get it with "whiz".

by Anonymousreply 1711/27/2012

Just clogged arteries, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1811/27/2012

Wow, sure went to a lot of trouble to put down poor old, R5.

I think he's probably got the message by now and will never say that again.

by Anonymousreply 1911/27/2012

I'm sorry to say this, OP, but no. But if you must, the VERY best ones aren't at the big-name places but simply at the metal carts parked on sidewalks all over the city.

Still, considered the WEALTH of incredible food in this town, cheese steaks really don't cut it for me. apparently fantastic if your shit-faced drunk in college and eaten in the middle of the night.

by Anonymousreply 2011/27/2012

The only good cheesesteaks that I've had have come from places that only make them (or other hot sandwiches) and have long lines. John's Roast Pork is the best that I've had because the steak is cooked to order.

by Anonymousreply 2111/27/2012

R19, that's the way we roll in philly, don't fuck with us.

by Anonymousreply 2211/27/2012

Oh, I thought we were talking about uncut Pennsylvanians!

by Anonymousreply 2311/27/2012

Tony Luke's??

by Anonymousreply 2411/27/2012

For extra cholesterol, you can also have the roll slathered with mayonnaise before adding the meat, onions and cheese.

by Anonymousreply 2511/27/2012

I never had an official Philly cheesteak, but when I was a kid, I used to get one every year when we went to Wildwood down the shore. (That's the Jersey shore to you.)

I remember it was a mess to eat and the roll had to be just right.

But I never heard of them being made with Cheez Whiz before.

by Anonymousreply 2611/27/2012

Yeah the cheese whiz is a new one for me too, it's provolone in most places and American in the rest. I'm from Boston, we do our subs the way we do them and in Philly it may be different.

Also, we sometimes eat cheesesteak with lettuce and tomato. Does anywhere else do that?

by Anonymousreply 2711/27/2012

CheezWhiz (sp?) is quite popular; personally I don't eat cheese (not lactose-intolerant, just don't like the taste), but love a good steak with onions and pepers and deliciously greasy fries on the side.

My grandmother lived in Overbrook (I was from New York and indulged on visits; had to work of that and the funnel cake when I got home), so we would get ours from Overbrook Pizza, down by the train station. I'm sure those who patronize the big-name shops would disagree, but I loved the hell out of those.

Oh, and the picture *they* had up was of Will Smith. (Not that they knew about Will's gayness, I'm sure. But still, funny.)

by Anonymousreply 2811/27/2012

never in Philly. and believe it or not, the whiz makes the steak better - and this says EVERYTHING about the thing at all, if whiz makes it better, then you might just want to reconsider it entirely

by Anonymousreply 2911/27/2012

[quote]On a semi-related note, is Baltimore pit beef any good? I only know it from Pecker.

Yes! And pit turkey as well. I like mine with just cheese and fried onions (little or no mayo).

by Anonymousreply 3011/27/2012

r16, I see your point, but ironically that's the one time in recent American memory where the white cop was actually in the right.

I'm not a knee-jerk LEO supporter, but I felt sorry for his family when the case became political.

God, that link to the Pork Place in not helping my proto-diet. My two Clementines just aren't cutting it.

by Anonymousreply 3111/28/2012

Why the fuck is someone from BOSTON commenting on this thread? Do we tell you what CHOWDAH is supposed to taste like?

The only people qualified to pontificate on the correct way to prepare, order or consume a PHILLY cheesesteak are PHILLY people.

by Anonymousreply 3211/28/2012

Provolone here in Houston.

by Anonymousreply 3311/28/2012

I used to love my Philly Cheesesteaks, but they came from a chain in California that used provolone. Cheez Whiz changes the whole thing utterly. Think roast beef au jus with the bread soaked through...but the Cheez Whiz a) enzymes cut grease so you don't get that queasy stomach(see link); and b) is extra salty.

by Anonymousreply 3411/28/2012

Guess what I had for lunch today?! Couldn't stop thinking about it because of this thread!

by Anonymousreply 3511/29/2012

[quote] Think roast beef au jus with the bread soaked through..

the Philly versions aren't like that at all.

by Anonymousreply 3611/29/2012

by Anonymousreply 3711/29/2012

If your idea of cooking is Rachel Ray, you haven't missed much

by Anonymousreply 3811/29/2012

[quote]Also, we sometimes eat cheesesteak with lettuce and tomato. Does anywhere else do that?

Oh, dear God. Where are my smelling salts. No. NEVER! And never ask for mayo either. I hated that when I was up in NE. They slather mayo all over everything, even hot foods. Sacrilege.

There are certain things Bostonians just can not do. One is make an Italian hoagie (called subs up there), another is pizza and the last is a philly cheese steak.

by Anonymousreply 3911/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!