Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Idiocracy was prophetic

According to a Stanford study the human race is getting dumber.

by Anonymousreply 1611/30/2012

So?

by Anonymousreply 111/27/2012

Can't watch the movie these days- it makes me too sad...

by Anonymousreply 211/27/2012

Reality tv and pop culture are making the world dumber. The reasons in the article are not very compelling. We are forced to think a lot more and do a lot more now than hunter-gatherers.

by Anonymousreply 311/27/2012

It wasn't a study. It was a bitter old cow pontificating.

by Anonymousreply 411/29/2012

Not to nitpick, but its not prophetic when we were already there minus the sci fi stuff when the movie debuted.

by Anonymousreply 511/29/2012

PROOF!!!

(MORE: Creationists Boycott Dr Pepper Over ‘Evolution of Flavor’ Ad)

by Anonymousreply 611/29/2012

[quote]Reality tv and pop culture are making the world dumber.

Give it a rest, gramps.

by Anonymousreply 711/29/2012

Go away! 'batin!

by Anonymousreply 811/29/2012

Dumb people are breeding like the proverbial rabbits. Smarter people are refraining from having children or having fewer. Simple as that. So the bar gets ever lower.

by Anonymousreply 911/29/2012

OP, I love you for saying this. I have been saying it for years and most people have not seen the movie and have no idea what I am talking about. Love this movie...at least the 10 minutes at the beginning that explains socienty today.

by Anonymousreply 1011/29/2012

It wasn't prophetic because by 2006 (when the movie was made), the American public was already years-deep into being dumbed down by trash TV, TMZ, Paris Hilton, the Bush years, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1111/29/2012

What do you expect in a society in which the educational system doesn't emphasize the importance of logic and critical thinking, in which sciences, arts, and most creative things are shunned in favor of bullshit such as creationism and memorizing facts for standardized tests? Are you really surprised that it keeps churning individuals who are conditioned to be perfect consumers and easily replaceable drones who will be kept in check by the anxiety that they are one missed paycheck away from dropping out of middle class? Those people are an ideal market for mindless, escapist entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 1211/29/2012

Uh...didn't a lot of people predict this before "Idiocracy" depicted it?

by Anonymousreply 1311/29/2012

The movie did a good job of satirizing without being condescending and wrapping the message in a package perfect for the exact people who need to hear it.

by Anonymousreply 1411/29/2012

What be Idiocracy?

by Anonymousreply 1511/30/2012

I always thought that movie was eerily realistic.

by Anonymousreply 1611/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.