Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

T-Shirt Printers refuse to print Pride T-Shirts

How many times does this have to happen before people get it through their heads that Business and Religion should not mix?

_________________________________________ The Human Rights Commission in Lexington, Kentucky has sided with organisers of a gay pride event, who were refused service by a Christian t-shirt printing company, because of its religious beliefs.

Hands On Originals, a t-shirt printing company, refused to print apparel for the Gay and Lesbian Services Organisation, ahead of the city’s gay pride parade.

The managing owner of Hands On, Blaine Adamson, had said he refused to complete the order from the GLSO because it is a Christian company, and doing so would have gone against his beliefs, reported Kentucky.com: He said:

“Due to the promotional nature of our products, it is the prerogative of the company to refuse any order that would endorse positions that conflict with the convictions of the ownership.”

This ruling by the Human Rights Commission could lead to a public hearing on the issue, which would decide whether or not the company violated any law by refusing the order.

Aaron Barker, a spokesperson for the GLSO released a statement following the decision:

“We’re not seeking fines or monetary damages or anything else,” he said. “In some sense, I feel like we’ve gotten what we were looking for since the Human Rights Commission has agreed with us.”

Alliance Defending Freedom is the Christian group of attorneys representing Hands On Originals, and aims to focus on “religious freedom”. Attorney Jim Campbell said in a statement:

“Americans in the marketplace should not be subject to legal attacks simply for abiding by their beliefs,”

“The Constitution prohibits the government from forcing business owners to promote messages they disagree with … The process will continue, and Alliance Defending Freedom will have the opportunity to provide a robust defense of our client’s fundamental freedoms protected under the U.S. Constitution.”

by Anonymousreply 2011/28/2012

It is not in violation of civil rights laws because Indiana has notoriously anti-gay laws.

There are just too many to boycott them out of business. The Law keeps them from forming in the first place.

Try making the same argument against race.

"We don't do business with those color of people here"

Doesn't wash, so unless you are going to argue that discrimination against Gays is not real discrimination unlike racial discrimination......

by Anonymousreply 211/27/2012

While the denial of service is discriminatory, at least they were told upfront when they asked. It gives them the opportunity to give the order to a gay friendly organization that won't turn around and use the money to support anti-gay politicians. It's a shame and while federal law was violated, they probably abandoned it because it would cost too much money and time to fight to bring this higher, and the organizers just want to put on a good event.

by Anonymousreply 311/27/2012

R1, it's a complete waste of other people's time though. If they're going to discriminate, they should have a list of what they won't print up on their website. Instead, they're happy to be anti-gay but not declare it until the time comes that they're faced with a commission they don't want to take.

by Anonymousreply 411/27/2012

In some ways, it's better than their taking the money and using it to fund anti-gay causes (or sit back and watch their 60in flat screens and spew venom) - we're looking at you Chik-o-Crap.

All else being equal, I'd rather that they NOT benefit from making money from gay causes if they hate us so much.

by Anonymousreply 511/27/2012

How can someone named 'Blaine' be straight? Honestly.

by Anonymousreply 611/27/2012

How ridiculous to give them our business.

It's not like they are dispensing Plan B.

by Anonymousreply 711/27/2012

Force them to post a sign of a rainbow flag with a crossed out circle on it at the front of their business.

by Anonymousreply 811/27/2012

Why would the Pride organizers even consider them? They've done business with many anti-gay organizations, as evidenced by their testimonials page on their website, at link

by Anonymousreply 911/27/2012

Can it, Churchy.

Being in your cult is a (stupid and evil) choice. Being gay isn't.

by Anonymousreply 1111/27/2012

Agreed, they should be free to choose who they do business with, and we should be free to mock them and cost them customers.

by Anonymousreply 1211/27/2012

Fuck off R10. The religious right to treat gay people like second class citizens is at the top?

If someone put a "Sorry, we don't serve Christians" sign in front of a shop there would be hell to pay.

Plus any dumb cunt can make up a 'religion' and commit to it. It might as well be a form of mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 1311/27/2012

R10 is the local Jesus freak.

by Anonymousreply 1411/27/2012

There's a hierarchy of rights? Since when? Oh, I know what you mean, R10 - straight, white people are at the top. The Republican party is evidence of that belief. But it's wrong - dead wrong. Rights create equality. No one should be excluded from using a service, even a private one. How many public contracts does this company get to print materials for the city, county, etc.? Why should the taxes of gay people go to pay for that, then? It works both ways.

by Anonymousreply 1511/27/2012

Oh what shall we ever do if T-shirt printers shun us?! They won't renew our membership at the club and we'll have to find tennis partners at the (gasp) public courts! They'll suspend educational scholarships and funding to all of our pet charities. *frets nervously*

by Anonymousreply 1611/27/2012

Well, ya know, I'd be offended to print pro-Christian T-shirts,or pro other religions. I have seen some questionable race-based (anti-white, to be honest) shirts. Some to me are also sleezy. HOWEVER, I would print them, because business is business. I can't debate every single person that comes in about their beliefs or values. Please.

by Anonymousreply 1711/27/2012

As long as they arent taking gubment money, they should be able to print or not print whatever they want -- excluding hate speech.

by Anonymousreply 1811/27/2012

They can be bigoted fucked up christers, we can find out everyone they supply and harass/boycott the shit out of them.

*shrug*

If these fuckers are going to insist on being publicly homophobic, they'll get what they deserve.

by Anonymousreply 1911/28/2012

Their website bills them as "Hands on Originals | Christian Outfitters." Why would this group have selected them as a vendor in the first place? It almost seems like they were itching for a fight.

I work hard for my money and I try not to spend it at companies that do not support me. If I were interested in having t-shirts printed and spent a few minutes browsing this company's website, I would have identified pretty quickly that this wasn't the vendor for me.

It's shitty that this company chose to treat the group this way, but why on earth were they even offered the job??

by Anonymousreply 2011/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.