Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is not a charity. It is a church that donates millions of dollars to anti gay causes and does not allow gays as employees. The attached article has printable vouchers that you can give to solicitors on the street.

by Anonymousreply 10912/20/2012

Exposing homophobia should happen here every day, R1

by Anonymousreply 211/27/2012

I mean take it to the kettle R2. We can expose homophobia here on DL all day and it will not affect these red turd buckets stuffers at all. But seriously, call you local talk shows, write the newspapers, facebook it, stuff their kettles with those vouchers, argue with the bell ringers, raise a ruckus for the Baby Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 311/27/2012

Absolutely R3. Any way we can.

But there should be zero tolerance for defense of their homophobia at gay & lesbian websites like this.

Allow only enough to let us know the truth about these hateful bigots

by Anonymousreply 411/27/2012

I understand and agree with the complaints about them. But I have to say that they run an excellent and non-judgmental in-patient drug treatment program in my area - it's probably been the best program for my drug addicted clients over the past 2 decades.

Too many drug programs use that get-tough and humiliation approach and that simply doesn't work for many drug addicts. So it's good that there is an alternative option.

by Anonymousreply 511/27/2012

I beg to differ R5. I had a close friend staying in one of their shelters in NYC and the rammed Christianity down everyone's throat. Accepting it and living by it was a condition of STAYING there. Non followers were drummed out. Gays were treated with such hostility that they left in short order.

by Anonymousreply 611/27/2012

Only members of the Salvation Army think they are non judgmental. That is the whole cult and control thing.

by Anonymousreply 711/28/2012

Also, I eat so much shit that I'm absolutely FULL of it!

by Anonymousreply 911/28/2012

All the things the Salvation Army "runs" can easily be run by non Religious charities much more efficiently and without the religious dogma.

This is where people like R8 fail and are exposed as Jesus propagandists.

by Anonymousreply 1011/28/2012

Fuck you R8, and they shitty little burg where you live.

by Anonymousreply 1311/28/2012

Nobody else is doing it because official US economic policy, leaves it to the Jesus freaks. It is part of pandering to them politically (faith based initiatives).

If they were legally banned from doing it, it would be still be done and done far better without them skimming the donations, to promote their Sky Faeries.

by Anonymousreply 1411/28/2012

R15 Fred Phelps wants you back home now......

by Anonymousreply 1611/28/2012

[quote] Maj. Andrew Craibe, the media relations officer for Australia's southern territory, reminded us of that fact by agreeing on-air with two gay radio hosts that the Salvation Army believes gay people "should die."

[quote]The slightest slight and there is an outpouring of venom and hatred.

We get it r15, gays aren't even on your radar except when you seek out our web sites to spew your vile hatred against us and your love for gay bashers.

We get it frau, now fuck off back to freeper land.

by Anonymousreply 1711/28/2012

The important thing: Print the vouchers and use them.

by Anonymousreply 1911/28/2012

[quote]Some of you sound just like the Obama haters we have listened to for the last 4 years.

So we're "haters" because we refuse to support bigotry and discrimination? Interesting world view you have there....

[quote]Bunch of bigoted silly clones and you don't recognize yourself

You're right. I don't "recognize myself" in your description but that's mostly because your description is blatantly false, not to mention stupid.

[quote]The slightest slight and there is an outpouring of venom and hatred.

Funny how you're absolutely fine with bigotry and discrimination but rail so vehemently against those who oppose it, employing your own brand of "venom and hatred."

[quote]It is something ingrained in a certain segment of the gay community. I am ashamed of many of you. That you are so quick to take offense, to belittle and criticize,to look to find fault everywhere. Glad I don't live in your world.

Pot. Kettle. Black. And man, I'm *definitely* glad I don't live in your world.

by Anonymousreply 2211/28/2012

R8...go fuck yourself, churchie. You're a LIAR and that's a sin. There is absolutely NO community where the SA is the ONLY charity. In my city they run nothing, yet try to take credit for all the soup kitchens and such which are run by other groups. Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 2511/28/2012

R24, thank you Paul!

by Anonymousreply 2711/28/2012

[quote]Better warn the Northwest Harvest Food Bank

LOL.... Warn them of what, dear? That someone is eager to help them? That someone who cares about bigotry and discrimination thinks their organization is worth supporting? That someone is willing to devote his time and his money to help those who need it? And has picked an organization that doesn't engage in bigotry and discrimination to support? Go right ahead and "warn" them, dear; be my guest.

Is this really the best you can do? Pathetic lame attacks because your attacks on us have been shown to be both false and stupid? Here's a free clue: when you're in a hole, stop digging.

by Anonymousreply 2811/28/2012

Oh, and R8, speaking of "pot, kettle, black," there's this lovely little comment of yours on another thread:

[quote]The Romans had the right idea when it comes to Christians.

You might want to examine that glass house of yours again before you resume throwing stones.

by Anonymousreply 2911/28/2012

Christians love to use others inability to handle their hatred as intolerant. Heck, using that logic, Murders and Rapists think the law is being intolerant of them too.

by Anonymousreply 3011/28/2012

[quote] Only members of the Salvation Army think they are non judgmental. That is the whole cult and control thing.

Well, I'm not a member of the SA. I'm a lapsed Catholic now atheist. I reported what my clients report to me and what I have observed about their drug program - not a shelter. It is based on a non-judgmental model of encouragement rather than "in your face humilition" like so many Second Genesis programs. Perhaps it is unique to D.C. but that is the experience at this large program.

by Anonymousreply 3311/28/2012

Obviously not R33. If you look at the scandals involving S.A. over the years: funds robbed in various places, crime rings run from S.A. facilities, then they don't look so good, even if you accept the fraud of a "non-judgmental" model. If they do operate such a model as you say, it is contrary to their founding mission and purpose.

by Anonymousreply 3411/28/2012

[quote]All the things the Salvation Army "runs" can easily be run by non Religious charities much more efficiently and without the religious dogma.

I agree, r10, but in our area only S.A. is doing it. No other organization is doing anything to help the homeless. Do you expect me to easily turn my home into an efficient homeless shelter?

by Anonymousreply 3511/28/2012

[quote]In my community of 50 thousand they are the only provider of housing for the homeless.

And what is the name of this community? County and state, please. A simple google search could clear this up in seconds.

We'll wait. Right here. Just waiting on your answer. The name of the town, county and state, please.

by Anonymousreply 3611/28/2012

[quote]Maybe someone can provide a list or institutions that serve the poor and homeless that are non religious.

See, here's the thing: you're the only one making this about "religion". There are plenty of churches and synagogues that welcome gay people and affirm their sexual orientation (rather than expect them to be celibate and closeted, if not actively pursuing a hetero way of life). Most of us aren't against the SA because they're people of faith, we're opposed to them because THEY oppose us (gay people), and are very vocal about it.

Besides that there are many secular organizations that do food and toy drives this time of year. Goodwill, almost any civic club, TV and radio stations, places of employment...hell, the leather bar in my city does a yearly toy/food drive.

The idea that the SA is the ONLY charity, and that refusing to support it amounts to being uncharitable, is patently false and ludicrous in the extreme.

by Anonymousreply 3711/28/2012

The Salvation Army inducts its followers using the same psychological programming techniques as Scientology.

See why they react this way when challenged now?

by Anonymousreply 3911/28/2012

It may be more constructive to provide a non-discriminatory resource for those who need it than to simply attack the S.A.

by Anonymousreply 4011/28/2012

R38 what is so difficult to believe? On the spectrum of crazy shit that religious people do, attaching strings to offers is charity is quite tame.

Though you knew that. You pathetic cunt.

by Anonymousreply 4111/28/2012

r38 = r27 from the other SA thread.

by Anonymousreply 4211/28/2012

R38, you do understand that A) most states do not protect gay people from discrimination and B) those that do exempt religious organizations like the SA.

The SA is free to discriminate against gay people and does so. You have admitted as much previously.

And there is no community where the SA is the ONLY organization offering assistance to the poor and needy.

by Anonymousreply 4311/28/2012

Making a starving person declare Jesus Christ as their Lord and Survivor in exchange for food, is a powerful recruitment strategy. I mean, what other options do they have???

by Anonymousreply 4411/28/2012

Better link to printable vouchers to stuff the kettles with

by Anonymousreply 4511/28/2012

I'm thinking the people who empty the kettles won't care. Contact the store or mall management and explain to them why they should not let this organization on the grounds in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 4611/28/2012

R48/R49 voted for Romney.

by Anonymousreply 5111/29/2012

We have some mentally disturbed SA defenders, which I find hard to understand because I can't recall a single celebrity who was ever helped by SA.

by Anonymousreply 5211/29/2012

[quote]Drama queens looking to pounce, to find fault, to lay blame, anything to make their shitty, vapid little existence seem valid

ROFLMAO.... I wonder if our little drama queen friend here is aware of just how apt that description is of himself? I doubt it; self-awareness doesn't seem to be high on his list of personal virtues.

by Anonymousreply 5311/29/2012

There used to be a SA comedy song performed by drag queens in December. Something about, "Put a nickle on the drum, help another drunken bum..."

by Anonymousreply 5411/29/2012

Dear heart, we've been boycotting the SA for years, giving our money to organizations that don't discriminate and don't display blatant bigotry. Interesting how you keep ignoring those latter two basic facts in your temper tantrums here.

by Anonymousreply 5611/29/2012

Yeah....... when somebody punches you and you punch back, you're a Drama Queen. Yeah...... that's what the term means......

by Anonymousreply 5711/29/2012

SOME religious organizations DO NOT preach or proselytize when offering their help. My sister is active in her Methodist church-- which runs a soup kitchen, clothing bank and basic social services. If someone needs help, the Methodists offer it freely with no caveats attached.

"Hi My children and I have no food. Can you help us?" "Sure. Here's some food. Is there anything else we do for you today? Have a nice day."

The other side of the coin: I have a friend who did a social work internship with the local "City Mission". The Mission would make the poor, hungry, dirty people sit through HOURS of preaching before they even let them eat or shower. Oh, you have to accept Jesus as your Savior before you can receive food or a bed. "Oh, for fucks sake! Yes, I LOVE Jesus, ok? Can I PLEASE have a sandwich now?"

by Anonymousreply 5811/30/2012

R59, here are some tips to help you make your case a little more effectively:

1) Avoid ad hominems.

2) Include facts and supporting evidence.

by Anonymousreply 6011/30/2012

He can't, R60. The facts don't support their arguments, so the SA supporters have no choice but to attack the messenger.

by Anonymousreply 6112/03/2012

r48/49/55 Do you get a paycheck from the SA?

by Anonymousreply 6212/03/2012

The exposure of this hate group increases every Christmas. We need to go after the Corporations who support it now. Like Bell Media.

by Anonymousreply 6312/04/2012

SA troll, come out, come out where ever you are!

by Anonymousreply 6412/04/2012

The Salvation Army is its own religion--it is the Salvation Army Religion. Seriously, I know someone who belonged to it.

When you donate to them understand that while yes, some goes to charity, most of it goes to the head honchos who are very rich. It also has that weird "army" heirarchy with the Majors and Majorettes--and these people actually wear military uniforms and act authoritarian.

The Salvation Army does not like gays and doesn't care much for women either. They provide very little for women and often discriminate against them.

Yes, you can stay there for free but form what I've been told you can't look for a job because they keep you there all day working for them.

I've also been told that there are many closeted gays working within the organization but like Scientology, haave worked up the ranks while destitute and have no other options.

I wonder if they get tax exemptions?

by Anonymousreply 7012/04/2012

by Anonymousreply 7112/04/2012

Could someone please start a thread about survival skills for destitute gays and lesbians please?

This thread has reminded me of how homeless and wounded gay people get caught up in organizations like S.A and Scientology and get trapped in a hurtful lifestyle.

Poor gays and lesbians have it so much harder than poor straights and it hurts me so.

by Anonymousreply 7212/04/2012

by Anonymousreply 7512/04/2012

Please pass the pop corn

by Anonymousreply 7612/04/2012

by Anonymousreply 7712/08/2012

I think a bell ringer must have finger banged the Salvation Army troll when he was six years old or something.

by Anonymousreply 8112/08/2012

The theft from these donation "kettles" is phenomenal. It even made the news in Toronto this year.

by Anonymousreply 8212/09/2012

[quote] The theft from these donation "kettles" is phenomenal.

Good. Maybe someday this bigoted organization will find themselves out on the street.

by Anonymousreply 8312/09/2012

Like all Evangelical Christian Charities, the money is used first, to promote Jesus, the poor eventually get what is left over.

This has to be stopped.

by Anonymousreply 8612/11/2012

While you gibber away the real enemy and monster sits on the supreme court Scalia. Why not organize a protest against the court. Shut down DC

by Anonymousreply 8712/11/2012

The wife of McDonalds restaurant founder, Joan Kroc, recently willed almost $2 Billion to the Salvation Army. Instead of giving this money to the poor, they built a new Salvation Army super center, to help promote Evangelical Christianity.

Understand how this organization works now?

by Anonymousreply 8812/11/2012

The Salvation Army needs to be shut down as a hate group.

Poor people need all the help they can get, they don't need Religious groups like the Salvation Army scalping donations to the poor, to propagate Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 9112/11/2012

Do the admonistrative costs include building billion-dollar super centers?

If not, either r88 or r89 is lying.

by Anonymousreply 9212/11/2012

OK, R89 and R90, that's just a flat out lie. At no charity, even the best run, most well organized, does 'almost 100% of the donations go toward helping the needy.'

If what you say is true, then the SA should have no objection to letting outside observers look at their books. And yet they don't. Odd.

by Anonymousreply 9312/11/2012

One dollar for the poor, one dollar for the Oh So Powerful, Sky Master.

One dollar for the poor, another dollar for the Oh So Powerful, Sky Master.

One dollar for the poor and one more dollar for the Oh So Powerful, Sky Master.

Thank you for your $6 donation - The Salvation Army.

P.S. The Oh So Powerful, Sky Master hates homosexuals, he told us that 2,000 years ago, wrote it down in a magical book which he left to Mary, who gave it to our ancestors when they were picnicing in the Jerusalem mountains.

by Anonymousreply 9612/11/2012

It is you, insane r95 who should 'get off this site."

by Anonymousreply 9712/11/2012

I noticed that homophobic R89/R95 is saying in another thread that Justice Scalia is an "intelligent man" and "DESERVES RESPECT".

by Anonymousreply 9812/11/2012

Agreed! Jesus freaks buh BYE R95!!!

by Anonymousreply 10012/11/2012

[quote]Unbelievable. Why do we always have these hateful, hateful threads during the holidays?

Because that's when the Salvation Army is raising money. This isn't exactly rocket science.

[quote]And why does the webmaster allow it?

Because there's nothing wrong with it? That's just a guess.

[quote]The Salvation Army needs all the help it can get.

And when they stop engaging in bigotry and discrimination, I'll be happy to contribute. Until then, no, thanks. My money will go to organizations that don't engage in such behavior.

[quote]It has been shown that almost 100% of thier donations go directly to helping the needy.

Garbage. The Salvation Army is registered as a church, not a charity, which means that they do not disclose their outlays. The best estimates are that they spend between 15% and 35% on administration and overhead. That actually isn't bad for a charity but it's nowhere near the "almost 100%" you're claiming.

[quote]Please put your baseless politics and accusations aside and support this institution. Especially now.

This isn't "politics," nor are the accusations "baseless," since everything we have been discussing has been well-documented. So, no, thanks. When they put aside their baseless discrimination and bigotry, we'll stop having conversations like this.

[quote]Uh, no [R86], almost 100% of the donations go towards helping the needy before any administrative costs, etc. I should know. I sat on their board 3 years ago and none of their practices have changed. Enough of your smears.

Sorry, but you're wrong. Apparently, you didn't learn anything from your time on the board.

by Anonymousreply 10112/11/2012

[quote]Nothing insane about anything I wrote.

Nothing accurate about what you wrote, either.

[quote]I just tire of the negativity here.

And yet, here you are, contributing to it. You should be careful of those stones you're throwing.

[quote]The army does great work.

The army also engages in bigotry and discrimination. Did you have a point to make?

[quote]Just leave them alone and focus on positive things.

I'm engaging in the positive task of making it too expensive for organizations to engage in bigotry and discrimination.

[quote]Seriously, what's your damage?

Sorry, but disliking bigotry and discrimination and working to fight it is not usually seen as evidence of "damage." At least, not out here in the real world, where people like us have to face these issues on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 10212/11/2012

[quote]Who cares if they build a billion dollar supercenter?

Interesting choice of words, given the famous Salvation Army slogan of the 60's and 70's.

But I'll tell you who should care - all the people contributing money that they think is going to help the needy and instead is used to build a powerful church that's not even a work of art.

by Anonymousreply 10312/11/2012

[quote]Just leave them alone and focus on positive things.

Shining a light on bigotry and discrimination IS a positive thing.

Whitewashing the beliefs and practices of a hate-church that discriminates and demonizes LGBT minorities is not. Since such actions involve lying and strong-arming others as well as protecting powerful people who trample the rights of the weak, they most certainly aren't "Christlike" or covered by the Golden Rule.

Jesus is watching you and the SA. He doesn't like how you've perverted his teachings to fit your own innate bigotries and hatred.

by Anonymousreply 10412/11/2012

Defending Scalia??

by Anonymousreply 10512/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 10612/11/2012

Go after the businesses which allow these bigots in the door to collect money.

by Anonymousreply 10712/16/2012

Article that covers this subject.

by Anonymousreply 10812/20/2012

One of these days the Salvation Army and others like them, will be declared hate groups, but not until all the old farts die off.

Remember that members of the KKK used to run and get elected into public office in the early 1900s America. See Indiana State history for details.

by Anonymousreply 10912/20/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!