Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Don't give to the Salvation Army

With the holiday shopping season in full swing, the Salvation Army's Red Kettle campaign is once again coming under intense scrutiny from lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights advocates.

America Blog is asking LGBT shoppers and allies to give downloadable "vouchers" to Salvation Army bell ringers in lieu of cash in an effort to let the organization know that "bigotry is not a Christmas value," according to blogger John Aravosis.

"The Salvation Army discriminates against gay people, and discriminating donors should find another charity this Christmas than evangelical bigots who advocate against our civil rights," Aravosis writes. "And not just that –- they’ve actively lobbied against pro-gay policies in a number of countries as well."

by Anonymousreply 7812/21/2012

Executive Director of the Salvation Army surrenders to police today. Link

by Anonymousreply 111/26/2012

I give to Toys for Tots. There are many great charities out there that help people and don't discriminate. Don't give to the Salvation Army and don't give to the Boy Scouts.

by Anonymousreply 311/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 411/27/2012

R2 is a bell ringer for the Homophobic Army.

by Anonymousreply 511/27/2012

I saw a gay guy today as a bell ringer at SAMs Club and we talked for a moment. He said he does it because he has no family to celebrate Christmas with and feels it is giving back and makes him part of the season.

For some reason, this has made me extremely sad all day now.

by Anonymousreply 611/27/2012

Was the other thread deleted? I can't find it.

Keep posting this and spreading it around.

by Anonymousreply 711/27/2012

CTV in Canada, the ones who promoted anti-gay PM Stephen Harper into office, are the biggest Corporate supporters of the Salvation Army in Canada. They run free commercials for them everyday.

by Anonymousreply 812/08/2012

[quote] CTV in Canada, the ones who promoted anti-gay PM Stephen Harper into office, are the biggest Corporate supporters of the Salvation Army in Canada. They run free commercials for them everyday.

Um, isn't CTV owned by Shaw Media now?

by Anonymousreply 912/08/2012

I thought Bell owned it

by Anonymousreply 1012/08/2012

Oh maybe..I get the conglomerates and takeovers mixed up.

Bell owns CTV. Shaw took over CanWest.

by Anonymousreply 1112/08/2012

Bell Media owns CTV, further more, Bell Media laid off all its Canadian customer service employees and shipped the Jobs to India, so you know what type of Corporation they are....

by Anonymousreply 1212/08/2012

I love pissing off the bigot who freaks out every time we point out how hate-based the SA is.

by Anonymousreply 1312/08/2012

I think she/they got banned, R13. One of them was spreading her foul gas over three or four threads, not just about the SA.

by Anonymousreply 1412/08/2012

I hope so r14. She was soooo tiresome and determined to control the conversation. I trolldared her and she was all over the catholic threads too, defending the popess.

by Anonymousreply 1612/08/2012

Uhhh, maybe I was wrong r13. Trolldar it now and see where else it turns up.

by Anonymousreply 1712/08/2012

Yup, R17, all over the linked thread.

by Anonymousreply 1812/08/2012

And this thread, too.

by Anonymousreply 1912/08/2012

Oh, and check out this thread, particularly starting with post R249, where it's clear that he doesn't know about trolldar.

by Anonymousreply 2012/08/2012

by Anonymousreply 2112/08/2012

One of these days hate groups like the Salvation Army will have their charity status pulled, until then the gay community needs to keep standong up against them.

by Anonymousreply 2512/08/2012

R27 = bigot

by Anonymousreply 2812/08/2012

Salvation Army bell ringer

by Anonymousreply 2912/12/2012

The Salvation Army is a hate group.

by Anonymousreply 3012/12/2012

I love that guy, R29. What's the story there?

by Anonymousreply 3112/12/2012

Well, R32, aren't you the soul of charity, giving so you can spite someone then brag about it.

Not religious at all, but the one bit of common sense from the Bible is "But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth."

by Anonymousreply 3312/12/2012

[quote] such a blessing.

FRAU ALERT

by Anonymousreply 3512/12/2012

Or Troll. I'm guessing it's a troll looking for a reaction.

Keep the boycott going.

by Anonymousreply 3612/12/2012

No darlin', just you.

by Anonymousreply 3812/12/2012

Ignore the SA defenders. They are all trolls from reich-wing websites.

by Anonymousreply 3912/12/2012

the bigot is back

by Anonymousreply 4112/12/2012

R40, I am a regular poster here, and a member of this website's targeted audience: gay people and their allies.

You, on the other hand, are a defender and supporter of a hate-church that discriminates and lobbies against gay people.

YOU are the troll here. You are an outsider trying to demoralize the people for whom this website is intended.

We are not having it, though. Every post you write defending this bigoted church will be met by 20 more attacking you.

by Anonymousreply 4212/12/2012

I HEART R42

by Anonymousreply 4312/12/2012

I second R42.

by Anonymousreply 4412/12/2012

Cunt troll is all over another thread, calling people liars and and then F&Fing anyone who asks them to back up their claim. Oh, they also claim to be a mother. Can you imagine having that as your parent?

by Anonymousreply 4512/12/2012

Which thread R45?

by Anonymousreply 4612/12/2012

Nevermind, I found it

by Anonymousreply 4712/12/2012

I have a feeling they were also on the West Point gay wedding thread. Same exact MO: Gay people need to stop making the old folks uncomfortable by asking for equality. Demands everyone F&F anyone who challenges that notion.

by Anonymousreply 4812/12/2012

Yes, R48. She knows DL well enough to know what F&F means so she's been around a while.

She reminds me of one who was here last year around the same time. That one was much more outwardly anti-gay, much more hateful. I suspect she's altered here approach in hopes of not getting banned.

by Anonymousreply 4912/12/2012

[quote] Bell Media laid off all its Canadian customer service employees and shipped the Jobs to India,

Really? AS a current Bell CS employee, this comes as quite a shock to me.

The Salvation Army in Canada is different from the Salvation Army in the USA. The Canadian SA has a comprehensive anti-discrimination policy that includes LGTB issues. What's more, as a religious organization, they have the right to opt out of Canadian Human Rights legislation regarding Gays, and they waive that right.

I don't give to them simply because I believe in helping the poor, not as some religious act, but as a human obligation.

by Anonymousreply 5012/12/2012

The Salvation Army in Canada does not ban LGBTs because federal law prohibits it. Their charity status would be revoked. It is still the same anti-gay organization. Money given in Canada goes into the general SA pool.

Find a Canadian charity to donate to, don't donate to ANY anti-gay American Evangelical hate groups like the Salvation Army or World Vision.

by Anonymousreply 5112/12/2012

[quote]The Salvation Army in Canada does not ban LGBTs because federal law prohibits it

No, religious groups have an exemption (i.e. Catholic Church). The Salvation ARmy does not use it's exemption.

by Anonymousreply 5212/12/2012

The SA does not use its religious exemption in Canada because it already has a rapid anti-gay history in Canada and does not wish to make things even worse. The Canadian Salvation Army used to offer programs to cure homosexuals on the streets of Toronto and refused help to gay street person. Also, anti-gay hiring practices are still in very much in place in Canada as is the promoted internal homophobia. It is just not the official policy waved out in the public eye. More so, The Canadian Salvation Army sends a percentage of its donations back to the US, so you are still very much funding anti-gay bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 5312/12/2012

R52 Religious cults in Canada certainly do have exemptions from the equality law. Further more, the Canadian Human Rights act is not a legally binding document. It has no power other than political.

by Anonymousreply 5412/14/2012

The world will always be full of bigoted organizations passing themselves off as charities, like the Salvation Army. But they should not get tax breaks.

Pull the Salvation Armys tax status and then, they can hate whomever they choose for all eternity.

Taxpayers should not be forced to fund anti-gay bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 5712/14/2012

[quote]You sound very and hostile and unhappy. Maybe you ought to get some help for that.

Maybe you ought to stop posting at a website where you clearly don't belong.

by Anonymousreply 5812/14/2012

r57 nails it.

by Anonymousreply 5912/14/2012

R60 is at a high risk of being the next person to run into a school and shoot 27 kids, for Jesus of course.

by Anonymousreply 6112/14/2012

[quote]Why don't you assholes who hate the Salvation Army just shut the fuck up and don't contribute to it?

Because when you see an organization supporting discrimination and bigotry, speaking out about it is an appropriate, even praiseworthy, action.

[quote]You all seem like hate-crazed nutjobs.

LOL.... Well, sure, if you're an idiot.

[quote]I don't suppose you know how off-putting you are.

As compared to this charm offensive of yours? You should be more careful of those stones you're throwing.

[quote]You're setting a bad example by being so dogmatic and close-minded.

Yeah, we're funny that way: we just don't like bigotry and discrimination. What a bad example we're setting in speaking out like that. Bad gays; no biscuit!

[quote]Why don't you do something productive and POSITIVE, like shut the fuck up and concentrate on doing something worthwhile like maybe volunteering at a homeless shelter or charity you find acceptable, instead of yammering mindlessly.

Since quite a few people have already pointed out that they do, forgive us if we take this as the overheated drama queen hyperbole that it is.

[quote]That would make better use of your time instead of endlessly posting "bigot" and "attacking" posters who disagree with you.

You mean like you're doing? So you're saying we *shouldn't* follow your example? Have I got that right?

[quote]I'll repeat it: why don't you get off your sorry asses and do something positive, like help other people? Or would you rather just sit on your fat rumps and spew vitriol?

Oh, the irony....

[quote]From what I've seen here, the latter is preferable to most of you. That's so very sad.

We're touched by your concern. That's just so awful that we've made you sad. Now we'll be depressed and up all night worrying about that.

by Anonymousreply 6212/14/2012

The Salvation Army is a hate group.

Case closed.

by Anonymousreply 6312/14/2012

I walked by some female bell ringers today and gave a couple bucks to a hobo on the corner instead, the female ringers just shrugged and looked at each other.

I refuse to become a victim of my own generosity.

by Anonymousreply 6412/14/2012

SO what you are saying r54 is that I am right.

by Anonymousreply 6512/14/2012

We should really go after the businesses which allow this anti-gay group in the door to collect money in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 6612/14/2012

[quote] I have contributed to them for the past several years and will continue to contribute to them. I know my donations make a difference and could care less about their politics.

bigot

by Anonymousreply 6912/14/2012

[quote]So much fire and fury against the Salvation Army - a quaint organization that only wants to feed the hungry and clothe the needy.

HOMOSEXUALS SHOULD BE PUT TO DEATH according to the Salvation Army Handbook.

Andrew Craib, a senior Australian Salvation Army media relations officer has just said on radio that he acts in line with the Salvation Army Handbook which talks of the 'evils' of homosexuality. When challenged on his adherence to the handbook’s ancient scripture passages, Craib’s response was: "Well, that's part of our belief system".

Craib went on to say homosexuality is a "choice" and needs to be resisted, saying that it's just like the choice to drink alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 7112/14/2012

[quote] Yes, dear @ [R69], we know how you feel. LOL.

bigot

by Anonymousreply 7212/14/2012

People who defend the Salvation Army on DL don't have a problem with the SA putting gays to death.

That is the entire point here.

by Anonymousreply 7312/14/2012

Well considering that there's no such thing as god R68, you should be locked up in a mental hospital just for believing in an imaginary sky fairy.

by Anonymousreply 7512/14/2012

Don't forget the Salvation Army! Always remember your Donut Girl! She brought them donuts and coffee, just like an angel, she was their best friend! As brave as a lion, but meek as a lamb, she carried in to win the fight for Uncle Sam! So, don't forget the Salvation Army, remember your Donut Girl!

by Anonymousreply 7612/14/2012

Eurovision just gave this hate group the victory.

I guess Eurovision is a Catholic Church controlled organization.

by Anonymousreply 7712/16/2012

All the hate in the name of God.

by Anonymousreply 7812/21/2012
Need more help? Click Here.