Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Time Person Of The Year: Magazine Previews Some Candidates

This year, the list of potential candidates includes President Barack Obama, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, major Republican donor Sheldon Adelson, China's most famous living artist Ai Weiwei, Syria's President Bashar Assad, undocumented immigrants and more.

While the candidates are only meant to spark discussion (it is not certain the winner is actually on the candidates list), a selection committee ultimately names the Person of the Year.

by Anonymousreply 2211/26/2012

Power couple - Bill and Hillary Clinton

Dark horse - Nate Silver?

by Anonymousreply 111/26/2012

[quote]Power couple - Bill and Hillary Clinton

R1. Great suggestion--and very appropriate. Bill was instrumental in helping to reelect Obama, who was basically his rival in 2008.

And Hillary has been one of the most successful secretaries of state--and surely the most travelled. And it would be a fitting tribute to Hillary as she leaves her position as the current secretary of state.

by Anonymousreply 211/26/2012

What about Eric Rhodes?

by Anonymousreply 311/26/2012

They'll probably pull another trick.

My early guess is: Latino voters.

by Anonymousreply 411/26/2012

Obama is the clear choice. Which means they'll go with something stupid and esoteric.

by Anonymousreply 511/26/2012

If it's not One Direction I'm canceling my subscription.

by Anonymousreply 611/26/2012

I would also say the American voter---especially the people who stood in line for 5-8 hours in Florida, Ohio, etc., amid voter suppression from the right wing.

by Anonymousreply 711/26/2012

With his reelection, it's Obama, hands down.

I don't say that with any enthusiasm.

by Anonymousreply 811/26/2012

Justin Bieber

by Anonymousreply 911/26/2012

Big Bird

by Anonymousreply 1011/26/2012

As I understand it, the TIME person of the year is NOT an honor, it is an ACKNOWLEDGEMENT. It's supposedmtombe the person who has the greatest impact on the news/events of the world over the past year. Thats why they once gave it tomAdolph Hitler, marching into the Sudetenland qualifies one for POTY even if it was a despicable thing to do. That said, has anyone had greater impact on the news this past year than Mitt Romney???? Sure, BO won't be election,but it was Mittens who pretty inch set the tone, the agenda and newsmakingness of the election.

by Anonymousreply 1111/26/2012

Rafalca Romney

by Anonymousreply 1211/26/2012

R8. Obama's reelection (the man) is not THE story. As a previous post said, it's the voter or perhaps his campaign machine.

But I'm thinking maybe it's something more global such as climate change in the wake of Hurrican Sandy. The United States is finally admitting there might be a problem.

by Anonymousreply 1311/26/2012

I think if they wanted to pick someone evil, they'd go with Bashar al-Assad instead of Shitt Romney.

by Anonymousreply 1411/26/2012

Antonio Biaggi.

by Anonymousreply 1511/26/2012

If Time wanted to be bold they would name "The 47%" as Person of the Year. ;)

by Anonymousreply 1611/26/2012

Whoever filmed Romney's "47 percent" speech should be in there somewhere, even though they don't know who it is. It changed everything.

by Anonymousreply 1711/26/2012

If Time goes ahead and names some general population group or inanimate object, ala the computer, as Person of the Year, I may freak! It needs to be a living, breathing human being as set forth by Time itself when they first began this nonsense. To cop out and do something "different" is insulting and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 1811/26/2012

Oooh -- I hope they pick my generation again, so I can rack up three awards.

by Anonymousreply 1911/26/2012

By `tIME` I mean Anonymous: Time was a keyword.A reminder never to post comments the last thing before I go to bed while my eyelids are already closing.

by Anonymousreply 2011/26/2012

Oh, shut up R18.

The changing demographics that elected Obama scared the GOP where they fear they'll become irrelevant. Which I hope is true. Also, it wouldn't be possible of reaching them without Obama's brilliant campaign machine.

by Anonymousreply 2111/26/2012

R17, some have suggested it was a bartender who filmed it. It would be so sweet if that were true. Some guy having to wait on a bunch of old rich assholes who paid $50,000 a plate to see Shitt speak, and he takes down their whole establishment.

Viva la revolucion.

by Anonymousreply 2211/26/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!