Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Thomas Ricks Accuses Fox News Of 'Operating As A Wing Of The Republican Party' (VIDEO)

A Fox News interview ended rather abruptly on Monday after a guest took not one but two jabs at the network hosting him (see update below).

Co-anchor Jon Scott interviewed Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author Thomas Ricks, who has covered the military for decades, about his new book "The Generals." Scott asked Ricks weigh in on the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi and Sen. John McCain's criticisms of Amb. Susan Rice.

"I think Benghazi was generally hyped by this network especially," Ricks said. He added that he thought McCain seemed to be "backing off" from criticizing Rice since "the campaign [was] over."

"When you have four people dead for the first time in more than 30 years, how do you call that hype?" Scott said, pushing back against Ricks' characterization of the network's coverage.

Ricks compared the situation to security contractors who were killed in Iraq. He described the attack in Benghazi as a "small fire-fight" and added, "I think the emphasis on Benghazi has been extremely political, partly because Fox is operating as the wing of the Republican Party."

At that point, Scott thanked Ricks for his time and ended the interview after about 90 seconds.

UPDATE: According to the New York Times' Brian Stelter, a Fox News staffer told Ricks he was rude following the interview. Ricks said that he thinks the hit lasted "about half as long as planned."

by Anonymousreply 3211/28/2012

F&F the FReeper shitstain at R1

by Anonymousreply 211/26/2012

Thomas Ricks is my new hero. Yesterday on one of the Sunday shows he said that Petraus should have never resigned. He was very interesting to listen to.

Fox should know better than to bring on guests that will challenge them and use- facts.

by Anonymousreply 311/26/2012

4 people are dead and MITT ROMNEY had the nerve to turn it into an attack on the DEMOCRATIC party.

by Anonymousreply 411/26/2012

Nothing we didn't already know but so happy to see it said. They are. Bravo for that guy and shame on cutting his interview short.

He was not rude just factual.

by Anonymousreply 511/26/2012

I have no doubt that the Obama administration engaged in some media manipulation just after the incident to play down the Al Quaeda ties, but the terrorist angle was eventually going to come out - preferably later when the fickle news media had moved on to another topic of interest.

That being said - since when is "media manipulation" an impeachable offense? The Republican over-reaction to this is ridiculous and it's not playing with the public at large.

As to the outrage over the 4 lives lost, the real scandal is why wasn't there more security? Interesting that the Republicans haven't pursued this angle, but they haven't pursued because they know that they were instrumental in voting down additional funding for increased security at our embassies.

by Anonymousreply 611/26/2012

Fox says that he apologized but not publicly now.

by Anonymousreply 711/26/2012

For the record, during the Bush II terms, 6 embassies were attacked. Nobody put up a fuss about them.

A normal segment on Fox is between 3 and 4 minutes. After Mr. Ricks 2nd thrust into the Body of Fox, they cut it off at just under 90 seconds. I don't believe for a minute he apologized for telling the truth.

I'll bet Jon Stewart has something to say about this tonight...

by Anonymousreply 811/26/2012

Oh, I'm sure, O'Reilly, Hannity and 'The Five' will be airing this bitchy and perfectly spot on clip by Ricks. Not.

by Anonymousreply 911/26/2012

[quote]I have no doubt that the Obama administration engaged in some media manipulation just after the incident to play down the Al Quaeda ties, but the terrorist angle was eventually going to come out - preferably later when the fickle news media had moved on to another topic of interest.

But no. This doesn't make any damned sense. Why would Obama admin [italic]need[/italic] hide any Al Qaeda ties? We KNOW they are the bad guys. Sometime the answer - is just the simple truth. They were waiting for exact information and gave the best answer they had.

FFS this is so much to do about NOTHING.

by Anonymousreply 1011/26/2012

[quote] Why would Obama admin need hide any Al Qaeda ties? We KNOW they are the bad guys.

The Republicans say the Obama Administration claims to have defeated Al-Qaeda. Therefore, it's important to them to have evidence of the Administration "hiding" any news of Al-Qaeda doing anything. They're insane.

by Anonymousreply 1111/26/2012

Beauty

by Anonymousreply 1211/27/2012

[quote]4 people are dead and this hack has the nerve to turn it into an attack on the Republican party

So typical of the rightwing. Do you people even attempt to use your brains?

This "hack" is a Pulitzer prize-winning, veteran defense reporter, but yeah, clearly he's the "hack." Not the network with the bimbos and ex-construction worker.

Why would he and everyone else who has ever seen even a second of FOX -where they give a platform to Karl Rove- accuse them of continually engaging in faux outrage? Yes, quite the hack for being honest.

Mitt Romney didn't even wait until we knew anything before he went running to a microphone to make all sorts of accusations.

You people could not be more transparent.

-In less than a year from when Bush took office, you witnessed the deaths of thousands of people, not in some volatile nation going through transition. HERE.

-You listened to motherfuckers lie to you about Saddam being connected to Bin Laden.

-You listened to a president say he didn't really think about the man who (supposedly) perpetrated the worst attack on this country.

-You listened to those motherfuckers tell you about WMDs and vials of anthrax and mushroom clouds.

-You listened to those motherfuckers *USE* 9/11 to get a war they've wanted long before 9/11 ever happened.

-You listened to those motherfuckers out a CIA agent because her husband wouldn't play along with the lies about "yellow cake" from Niger.

-You witnessed the invasion of a country that had nothing to do with what happened on 9/11/2001. A war resulting in the deaths of thousands and thousands and thousands of soldiers and innocent people...and you have the audacity to even attempt to turn four American deaths into something greater than what your side defends to THIS day?

FUCK. YOU.

We also know that the very people shrieking about this voted AGAINST funding for more security.

FUCK. YOU. AGAIN.

by Anonymousreply 1311/27/2012

[bold]Fox News: Ricks Apologized for Benghazi Criticism; Ricks: No, I Didn't[/bold]

[quote]Fox News Channel executive vice president Michael Clemente on Monday responded to the much-discussed interview with Tom Ricks, claiming that the Pulitizer Prize winner apologized privately for criticizing the network's coverage of the September attack in Benghazi, Libya. In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter, Clemente accused Ricks of using the interview to generate publicity for his new book, The Generals. Clemente also seemed to take exception to the lack of public contrition from Ricks.

[quote]“When Mr. Ricks ignored the anchor’s question, it became clear that his goal was to bring attention to himself -- and his book," Clemente told THR via email. "He apologized in our offices afterward but doesn’t have the strength of character to do that publicly."

[quote]But that's news to Ricks, who told THR in his own email that he never offered an apology to Fox — privately or publicly.

[quote]"Please ask Mr. Clemente what the words of my supposed apology were. I'd be interested to know," Ricks said. "Frankly, I don't remember any such apology."

by Anonymousreply 1411/27/2012

From R14's link.

(My exact thought):

[quote]Ugg_the_Repug • 4 hours ago

[quote]"Please ask Mr. Clemente what the words of my supposed apology were. I'd be interested to know," Ricks said. "Frankly, I don't remember any such apology."

[quote]Ugg[sic] hear[sic] Ricks said, "Fox News is extremely sorry excuse for journalism even in a day when journalism is pretty sorry in general and gets sorrier each day." And Fox accepted that as Ricks' apology.

by Anonymousreply 1511/27/2012

FOX lying is more likely to happen than the day ending in y.

by Anonymousreply 1611/27/2012

A friend is cousins with Ricks and imagines it would be a cold day in hell before he would apologize for saying that.

by Anonymousreply 1711/27/2012

r13. I love you.

by Anonymousreply 1811/27/2012

JESUS Fox news is PATHETIC.

Anybody who takes that show seriously should be ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 1911/27/2012

Bump

by Anonymousreply 2011/27/2012

I love R13 too.

by Anonymousreply 2111/27/2012

more love for R13

by Anonymousreply 2211/27/2012

r13: My hero!

by Anonymousreply 2311/27/2012

Let's just take a look at this "hack's" pathetic bio:

[quote]After earning a degree at Yale (1977), he was an instructor at Lingnan College, Hong Kong (1977–1979), and assistant editor at the Wilson Quarterly (1979–1981). At the Wall Street Journal he was a reporter (1982–1985) and deputy Miami bureau chief (1986). In Washington, D.C., he was a Journal reporter (1987–1989), feature editor (1989–1992), and Pentagon correspondent (1992–1999). He was a military correspondent at the Washington Post (2000–2008).

[quote]he Gamble: General David Petraeus and the American Military Adventure in Iraq, 2006-2008. Penguin Press. February 10, 2009. ISBN 1-59420-197-8. Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq. Penguin. 2006. ISBN 0-14-303891-5. A Soldier's Duty: A Novel. Random House. 2001. ISBN 0-375-50544-X. Making the Corps. Scribner. 1997. ISBN 0-684-83109-0. The Generals: American Military Command from World War II to Today. Penguin Press. 2012. ISBN 1594204047. On American Soil: the Widening Gap between the U.S. Military and U.S. Society. John M. Olin Institute for Strategic Studies, Harvard University. 1996. Ricks, Thomas E. (May 1996). "On American Soil: The Widening Gap between the U.S. Military and U.S. Society". Project on U.S. Post Cold-War Civil-Military Relations. Harvard University John M. Olin Institute for Strategic Studies. Retrieved 2009-12-01. Contributor to the Atlantic Monthly and other periodicals

[quote]-2000 Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting (on Wall Street Journal team) for articles on how the U.S. Military might change to meet twenty-first century demands

[quote]-2002 Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting (on Washington Post team) for reporting about the beginnings of the U.S. counteroffensive against terrorism Society of Professional Journalists Award for best feature reporting.

And here's Jon Scott's bio:

[quote]he attended journalism school at the University of Missouri in Columbia.

[quote]Scott began his career as a correspondent for KOMU-TV (NBC) in Columbia, Missouri, Later, he was the weekday evening news anchor, weekend co-anchor and reporter for WPLG-TV (ABC) in Miami. He also worked as a reporter and bureau chief for KUSA-TV (NBC) in Denver.[4]

[quote]Beginning in 1988, Jon Scott was a reporter for the syndicated news program Inside Edition. From 1992–95, he was a correspondent for Dateline NBC. Scott served as the host of the syndicated news magazine A Current Affair, and eventually joined the Fox News Channel in 1996.

[quote]In a July, 2011 live interview he asked Bill Nye if newly discovered volcanoes on the moon[5][6][7][8] were related to the climate change debate on Earth saying, "It's not like we've been up there burning fossil fuels."[9][10] [11] Nye replied that "volcanoes are not connected to burning fossil fuels."

[quote]Recipient of an Emmy for news writing for the NBC program Dateline

by Anonymousreply 2411/27/2012

Tom Ricks: Fox News Statement About My Apology Is 'Horseshit' (VIDEO)

by Anonymousreply 2511/28/2012

r13 please join the Facebook DL group if you haven't already!

by Anonymousreply 2611/28/2012

I'm not a fan of MSNBC outside of Maddow, but c'mon:

[quote]Tom Ricks Turns Down MSNBC: 'You're Just Like Fox, But Not As Good At It'

by Anonymousreply 2711/28/2012

I think I love this bipolar bear.

by Anonymousreply 2811/28/2012

Oh, and I love, love, love Chris Hayes. Can't believe I forgot him

by Anonymousreply 2911/28/2012

r1 sounds deranged.

(and since when is poor an insult?)

by Anonymousreply 3211/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.