Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did People Really Do This?

Or is it something that only happens in the movies? Sometimes especially in an older film set in the past, they may show a performer doing their act, like in the vaudeville era, up on a stage in a theater. If their act really sucks, then people in the audience start to throw vegetables and garbage at the stage. Did that sort of stuff really happen? I ask because it seems so ridiculous. I mean, did people actually come to the theater already carrying a bag of garbage with the hopes they could throw it around? Didn't the theater owners try to stop it from happening? Couldn't you get arrested for doing something like that?

by Anonymousreply 1811/26/2012

A version of that still happens at the Apollo Theater. The crowd demands and end to the act and a guy with a cane comes out and literally chases them off the stage.

by Anonymousreply 111/26/2012

I always bring rotten vegetables with me to live performances just in case.

by Anonymousreply 211/26/2012

I just open my legs and the stench clears the room.

by Anonymousreply 311/26/2012

I'd guess stuff that is sold at sports venues like bottles, or hot dogs being thrown around in the stadium when something displeases the audience can happen, but anything else? Highly unlikely in any era.

by Anonymousreply 411/26/2012

Yes, this type of insult was experienced by a lot of us 'decaying gays.' That's the life stage after, eldergay. I recall when I was appearing at the Susquehanna Theater in Scranton, PA, I had only performed two or three times before in Hoboken, I suddenly began to experience dry mouth; for my act, that was the worst possible thing to happen on stage. I was a young handsome sword swallower and I began to gag with only half of it down my throat. Dagger, I think that was his name, couldn't pull out of my throat. I swear they threw everything but the porcelain urinals at us on that stage. I think it was the first time I ever experience egg plant when it was snowing outside.

You can read about it in my book, "How Did They Get Egg Plant in January." Copies are hard to find, Birds Eye bought all the copies they could find as they thought it besmirched innocent vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 511/26/2012

Yes, in the vaudeville era people would do that. I don't think they went to the theater with the specific intent of just randomly throwing rotten fruit and veg, but if word got around that the show was a stinker, then they would definitely go armed and ready.

Watch "Elmer Gantry" for a good example of this kind of audience reaction. Gantry had fallen off his pedestal in the eyes of the public, and they wanted him to know how they felt.

by Anonymousreply 611/26/2012

yes, Elmer Gantry, R6. Thank you.

I was trying to think of an example other than that singing frog cartoon.

by Anonymousreply 711/26/2012

One of the Judy Garland bios recounted an incident where the Gumm Sisters got pelted with food during their vaudeville act.

by Anonymousreply 811/26/2012

Today they just throw shade.

by Anonymousreply 911/26/2012

DID IT REALLY HAPPEN? I'm still pulling bits of spinach and okra out of my cleavage from Victor, Victoria.

by Anonymousreply 1011/26/2012

There's a scene in one of Mark Twain's books, probably "Huck Finn". A terrible troupe of actors comes to town, plays for several days, and on the last day they notice the audience coming into the theater smells of aged vegetables. So, they skip town with the box-office takings, and avoid the pelting.

So apparently it did happen, but it was premeditated.

by Anonymousreply 1111/26/2012

Sure it was premeditated, R11. That was part of the fun for the audience. If the show got bad word of mouth, they would attend in droves and up the entertainment factor with a little garbage-tossing.

by Anonymousreply 1211/26/2012

I assumed that the concept came from performing in the marketplace where the stage was at one end of the square and vendors selling produce was at the other end. In the middle of the square was the stake where they burned witches and the stockade where bad boys would be buttfucked in the dark of the night.

by Anonymousreply 1311/26/2012

R5 thinks he's funny. Isn't that sad for the poor old fella?

by Anonymousreply 1411/26/2012

I encouraged them to bring rotten eggs

by Anonymousreply 1511/26/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1611/26/2012

Gay men have been bringing fish to Mamma Mia for years.

by Anonymousreply 1711/26/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!