Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is the most reliable make of car on the market today?

On the worst car thread I'm surprised to read about a lot of bad experiences with brands (can you call a car a brand?) that I always thought were infallible.

Likewise there's been a lot in the news about Japanese makes such as, Toyotas, being recalled for various faults.

Is there a make of car today that you can really buy new and expect at least ten reliable years from?

by Anonymousreply 11712/01/2012

by Anonymousreply 111/26/2012

by Anonymousreply 211/26/2012

The short answer is none. Not for 10 years unless you want to go high end. That is way you are paying for with expensive cars, quality and longer life span. BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti etc.

Most people flip cars about every 5 to 7 years, just about when they finish paying for it. 10 is really pushing it. I have had a car last longer then that, but I would not bank on it with cheaper or mid priced cars.

by Anonymousreply 311/26/2012

I totally disagree with R3.

Hondas and Subarus last a LONG time. Usually, in the Northeast, where I live, the frame rusts out after (20+ years) before you start having engine problems.

by Anonymousreply 411/26/2012

I've had 2 different Volkswagen Golfs that I owned for 10 years each. They were both my primary car during the years I owned them and before trading them in I got 180K and 210K miles on. With the minimal amount of recommended maintenance, I never had any engine problems with either.

So I can't say they are the most reliable and know that I probably just go lucky, but I was very satisfied with the return I got on the investment in both.

by Anonymousreply 511/26/2012

Pretty much any car can be driven way past 300,000 miles with regular maintenance. Plan to spend $600 to $800 per year for that.

Friend of mine has a 2007 Toyota with close to 300,000 miles on it and it's still running strong.

by Anonymousreply 611/26/2012

Get thee to a Subaru dealership and testeth driveth a new Outback.

by Anonymousreply 711/26/2012

i agree, toyota is da best! Mercedes is my second choice. i hear from friends that bmw breaks down a lot, needs lots of $ repairs.

by Anonymousreply 811/26/2012

I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma with over 200,000 miles on it. It's never had to be serviced except for oil changes and other minor preventative maintenance.

by Anonymousreply 911/26/2012

Before I crashed my 1993 Accord, it had nearly 160,000 miles on it. No extraordinary repairs required.

by Anonymousreply 1011/26/2012

I'm sorry but Suburu(s) suck dick! Fo Reelz!!!

by Anonymousreply 1111/26/2012

by Anonymousreply 1211/26/2012

The April issue of Consumer Reports has an excellent section on reliability. All your going to get here is anecdotal information.

My take is similar to that of Lucifer. I bought a Chevy Malibu new in 1998 (Hey, I'm a swingin' kinda guy) and drove it 80 miles a day, five days a week as well as a few trips to Washington and Montreal from my home in CT. Changed the oil and filter every 3K miles, the only good advice I'd ever gotten from my father.

By 2010, the car had over 200,000 miles but was running just fine, but I was getting embarrassed to drive it, so I gave it to my boyfriend, whose own car had died. He promptly rear-ended somebody (There's an irony there, but I digress) and I got over $1500 for repairs, more than the car was worth.

I pocketed the cash and donated the still drivable car to a charity. Unless you're stuck with a lemon at the outset, it's all in how you take care of your car.

by Anonymousreply 1311/26/2012

My mother's old '91 Toyota Tercel is still on the road and only now showing small signs of rust - in the northeast with heavily salted roads in winter. She sold it about 4 years ago and the young couple who have it now are still happy with it.

But I suspect Toyota is not as reliable as it was back then.

by Anonymousreply 1411/26/2012

Eeek! I meant "all you're going to get here...."

by Anonymousreply 1511/26/2012

Around here all the rural mailmen drive Toyotas and those guys put on a scary number of miles, mostly on gravel roads, so they're a great indicator of what's reliable.

by Anonymousreply 1611/26/2012

You can never know what YOUR car is going to turn out like based on the average for the make and model. That's why it's important to get a car with a good warranty. That led me to Hyundai, which has a 5-year, 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, and a 10-year, 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty. So even if you get a car with a good reputation, if yours turns out to have lemon-like tendencies, you're covered (although it will still be inconvenient.)

by Anonymousreply 1711/26/2012

Oh Evan, you're hot. Come stay at my place in Montreal any time.

by Anonymousreply 1811/26/2012

R17, aren't Hyandai's supposed to be poorly made cars?

Are the new Hondas still as reliable and well-made as the older ones?

by Anonymousreply 2011/26/2012

A few years ago I read that Scion came out on top for best repair record. They are made by Toyota, but topped the Toyota-branded cars for reliability. This was among all size classes, not just the meep-meeps.

Hopefully they mean all of the Scions, not just the ones that look like a stupid little milk truck, because I am thinking of getting a hatchback when my current workhorse finally gives out...I think hatchbacks are the best use of space for a small car.

My current 'workhorse' referenced above is a 2001 Saturn SL, purchased new for $13,500 at looow interest. I have hardly had to put any money in that car except for routine maintenance, tires and batteries; only in the past year have I needed some "major" repairs...totaling $900, which for a nearly 13 year old car is pennies. On the other hand, my impression is that I lucked out, and other Saturn owners haven't been so lucky. She's about to roll over to 100K miles and still starts like a charm every time. I really will drive her until I am convinced it's not worth putting more money into her...she's been so loyal to me that I will feel sad when I have to say goodbye and replace her with something shinier (sniff).

by Anonymousreply 2111/26/2012

Subarus look good and are well made, but I have heard that for their size they have ridiculously poor gas mileage.

by Anonymousreply 2211/26/2012

Hyundai (and Kia) are terribly made cars using stolen Japanese, American and German technology. A couple models do well in the initial JD Powers test drive, but they all fail in the all long term.

Hyundai is known for welding brake pads to the wheels. It was only a few years ago that they even started building their own engines. They used to use Japanese built Mitsubishi engines, which significantly improved their durability. No longer.

by Anonymousreply 2311/26/2012

The reason the gas mileage is bad is because of the symmetrical AWD system. It uses more gas to operate. They tried to solve the problem on the new ones. My 2011 Legacy has the CVT transmission (which has no gears, drives like a boat engine) to give it more mileage. I get 27 combined city/hiway. Compared to my Dad's 2001 Outback, my 2011 Legacy is huge inside, really, with a really nice ride now. Quiet inside. I call it the $20,000 Mercedes. ...But different from other cars in the way it sounds and the way it handles. The 2.5 litre boxer engine is practically vibration free.

by Anonymousreply 2411/26/2012

[quote]My current 'workhorse' referenced above is a 2001 Saturn SL, purchased new for $13,500 at looow interest.

I almost bought that car when it came out! I lived in Brooklyn and the insurance they quoted was more than the car payment so I ended up with a used Volvo. Saturns were so popular back then. What happened? Did you ever go to on of the "family reunions" in Tennessee or wherever?

by Anonymousreply 2511/26/2012

R25, no, never had any desire to go to a "reunion" just because I bought a particular material product, any more than I would travel to a party for people who like Peet's coffee best of all (try it! It's awesome if you grind it yourself!!). I just don't think of myself as belonging to a club because I BOUGHT something! It was, however, my First New Car like in the shmooopy commercials, and although they didn't all come out and applaud me, the salesfolk did come do some clappy little song.

I was in the southwest in a city with a surprisingly high crime rate for its size, and auto theft is BIG due to it being so easy to grab a little plastic thing like my car and drive it across the border...nonetheless, my comprehensive and colllision, while I carried it because the GMAC loan required it, was like $65 a month. Wonder why it was so high in your area? Maybe because they were so easy to break into and so generic they were easy to resell? And Volvos are safer and also more desirable...

I have heard numerous explanations for why Saturn failed; I see so many still on the road that I know are even older than mine that I don't buy that it was because of any reliability problems. The story that makes the most sense to me because it well describes the demographic I belong to is that they marketed themselves toward people who didn't usually spring for new cars. They didn't change the design of the cars that much from year to year; on top of that, the ones on the road were still running fine, so as times got tighter, their already-careful potential purchasers kept deciding to hold on to the one they had another year.

So they doomed themselves, basically, by providing a serviceable, reliable, non-hyundai-humiliating car that while not jaw-dropping in its design was also by the same token not immediately dated.

That's what I think. I still love my Saturn!

by Anonymousreply 2611/26/2012

I had a '93 Honda Civic with 170k miles on it (and the same clutch) but was totalled. I then bought a 2003 Honda CRV. It has almost 150k miles on it. I just had a tune up and had the brakes done for $900. Then I bought new snow tires. I expect it to keep running for a long while.

by Anonymousreply 2711/26/2012

My moms 2002 Honda Accord is still going strong.

She has yet (knock wood) to pay for ANY type of repair for her car. Just regular maintenance. It's been to the east coast once and a few times to the Midwest from far west Tx.

I have a 2007 Civic. No problems so far either.

by Anonymousreply 2811/26/2012

I've got a Dodge Ram 2500 and it doesn't get any more dependable than this. I've had a couple of Subaru's, VW's, and Audi's and the Dodge Ram is better than any of them.

by Anonymousreply 2911/26/2012

My brother swears by his 2010 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer Report gives it a high rating. It's a little small inside for me.

by Anonymousreply 3011/26/2012

i bought a used ford focus 11 years ago. (2001 model) never had 1 problem with it. replaced the front breaks after 8 years. replaced it this year with a 2012 Focus. check out consumer reports. great review of the car.

by Anonymousreply 3111/26/2012

R30 I have an '09 Sonata, and while it's not the most exciting car on the market, it's been reliable for me so far. Previous car was a '97 Honda CR-V (225,000 miles and still running); before that an '89 Mazda 626 (190,000 miles). No major problems with any of them.

by Anonymousreply 3211/26/2012

I've got a 2010 infiniti g37x that I bought dirt cheap at end of model year. Great looking car, very reliable and terrific in snow. MPG not bad for an AWD, and maintenance is not costly. I test drove the subaru legacy first, and it was just terrible. Poor handling and quite uncomfortable. Best test drives were Audi A4 and A6, but I found out that audis are notoriously unreliable. Go for the can't go wrong.

by Anonymousreply 3311/26/2012

Hyundai, Kia, and Porsche offer no protections or benefits for their LGBT employees.

Thirty-three other manufacturers selling cars in the US do.

by Anonymousreply 3411/26/2012

Toyotas for sure! My 2002 camry - 160k miles. Only oil changes, new tires, regular tuneups. Cheap to drive and reliable. I had a tercel before that with 200k miles - no problems.

by Anonymousreply 3511/26/2012

I drove my brother's old-by-now Camry and it was sooo pleasant and easy to drive. It felt solid and smooth and the handling was great, and it wasn't a top of the line with lots of extras. But it was probably 10 years old...are the new Camry's as nice to drive? I would scrounge up the money for one if I was sure it would be, but the way things go, the ten year old car often tops the brand new one in not feeling "tinny." Any recent Camry buyers?

by Anonymousreply 3611/26/2012

I'd love a G37x. It's like my dream car. You see them everywhere. But it's too expensive for me.

by Anonymousreply 3711/26/2012

My 2002 Lexus RX300 is basically an AWD, interior upgraded Camry... and it's a great car. According to my mechanic the Camry is just about the best car Toyota ever built, and the cars based on them are all great.

by Anonymousreply 3811/27/2012

Honda Fit.

by Anonymousreply 3911/27/2012

Hyundais basically explode in the 4 or 5th year. Getting warranty repair is nearly impossible from this, known to be the worst customer service company out there.

by Anonymousreply 4011/27/2012

I kept my BMW M3 for over 12 years, and would have kept it longer if it hadn't been totalled (not my fault). Once the warranty period ran out, I found a reliable local mechanic trained on German vehicles to do maintenance for reasonable rates. Overall, it cost me less than any other vehicle I've had. Great car.

by Anonymousreply 4111/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 4211/27/2012

We had a 98 Accord until 2 years ago. The car was still in great condition but my husband wanted something a little less embarrassing. I have a fiver year old Honda and its great. They're such boring cars but I love them. My dream car is a manual BMW though.

by Anonymousreply 4311/27/2012

By the usual measurements, Subaru should be no more than an afterthought in the U.S. car market. It sells just seven car and crossover models and accounts for a slim 2.3% of U.S. auto sales. By itself, the Toyota Camry outsells the entire Subaru lineup. For years Subaru has been essentially a regional brand -- strong in the Northeast and Northwest but unknown in the rest of the country. No overnight success, Subaru of America -- the U.S. arm of Japan's Fuji Heavy Industries -- began selling cars in the U.S. 44 years ago and still ranks only 12th in size. Hyundai and Kia, which arrived two decades later, have developed broader product lines and sell several times more vehicles.

Yet Subaru has racked up more endorsements by independent arbiters of automotive quality and safety than just about any other manufacturer. Consumer Reports rates Subaru above Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and every other manufacturer in performance, comfort, utility, and reliability, and says the company makes the best cars in America.

by Anonymousreply 4411/27/2012

I drove a Honda CR-V for 10 years and it never gave me a problem. I actually miss that car.

by Anonymousreply 4511/27/2012

Take care of it and a Toyota or Honda will EASILY last you 10 years..

by Anonymousreply 4611/27/2012

Does Honda give out loaner cars when your car is being serviced at the dealership? If not, what do you do?

How smooth a ride do you get with the Honda CR-V? What about gas mileage?

by Anonymousreply 4711/27/2012

CRV's may be reliable, but they are total chick cars. No hot guy will take you seriously driving up in what is essentially the automobile equivalent of a clutch purse.

by Anonymousreply 4811/27/2012

r21, I currently have a Saturn SL with over 150k miles on it. Once you reach 100k you will start having some problems but they won't be that costly but there will be more. It's a great car and the best GM had and a shame they discontinued because I would buy another.

by Anonymousreply 4911/27/2012

I get better gas mileage with my 2009 CR-V when driven on the highway, long distances. Around town, not so much.

Ride is smooth but the interior is not very roomy.

A family member is still (knock on wood) driving my 94 Civic.

by Anonymousreply 5011/27/2012

My 2005 Honda Civic Si runs as perfectly as it did on the day that I bought it. Zero repair costs so far, just preventative maintenance and I'm more than sure it's going to keep being great well past the ten year mark.

by Anonymousreply 5111/27/2012

Which is better: Honda Accord or Toyota Camry?

by Anonymousreply 5211/27/2012

I have a 2001 Mazda Protege. I was going through some financial upheaval, my Saturn hit 80,000 miles and was falling apart, and I needed a cheap throwaway car for a year or so.

I'm still driving it and I love this thing. It's tiny, but it's everything I need. I get 42 mpg and pretty much all I have to do is change the oil. The biggest thing I've done in 13 years is new brake shoes. Oh, and a power window motor burned out, not a big deal in that many years.

If something happened to this car I would buy a Mazda 2 to replace it.

by Anonymousreply 5311/27/2012

They're both fine if dull and predictable are what you want to telegraph about yourself to the world.

by Anonymousreply 5411/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 5511/27/2012

Subarus are the quintessential Lezmobile.

by Anonymousreply 5611/27/2012

Toyota (including Lexus) and Honda. Hands down. BMW, Audi and Mercedes have too many high tech gizmos that fail over time and cost a bundle to repair. Subarus are dyke mobiles.

Get a Toyota Camry or Avalon and it will last longer than you.

by Anonymousreply 5711/27/2012

Great thread, OP! I posted in the other thread and was going to start something like this, so thanks! I had the 2000 BMW 328i that died with 140,000 miles and $20,000 in repairs and maintenance. Simply wouldn't buy another Beemer (once bitten twice shy). It was a great ride, just too expensive. As someone said up thread, it is the luck of the draw. I'm looking at a Mercedes C250 but their fairly new and not much history out there. Anyone have experience with longtime ownership on Benz'? I did have a Honda prelude that was great and finally died with minimal attention paid to maintenance with 240,000 and 14 years later. I'll check out the Civic. Continue to post, as I'm happy to read everything until I pick out a car...

by Anonymousreply 5811/27/2012

What r57 said. I have friends with a 2001 Mercedes and they have had many problems with it and a lot of them major. They paid 70K for it and it is nothing but a money pit.

by Anonymousreply 5911/27/2012

How are Volvo's?

by Anonymousreply 6011/27/2012

I hear the Bugatti Veyrons are made exceedingly well but that the repairs are a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 6111/27/2012

I hate my Mercedes. Something always needs repair. I used to have a 92 Honda Accord that never needed anything but regular service.

I don't care if people think it's a big step down, but I plan to trade my $53k Mercedes in for another Honda Accord or Toyota.

by Anonymousreply 6211/27/2012

Another Subaru lover. I've owned two for the last 12 years, and never had a problem with either one.

I agree the gas mileage could be better, but that's the price of AWD all the time.

by Anonymousreply 6311/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 6411/27/2012

[quote] I plan to trade my $53k Mercedes in for another Honda Accord or Toyota.

Get a Lexus. I never have trouble with mine. It's got Toyota reliability. And Lexus makes hybrids.

by Anonymousreply 6511/27/2012

Has anyone driven a Lexus CT hybrid?

by Anonymousreply 6611/27/2012

2004 Ford Explorer with 210,000 miles

by Anonymousreply 6711/27/2012

BMW = Bitchy Male Whiner

Because that is who buys these cars. BMWs attract the most selfish arrogant SOBs on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 6811/27/2012

Why thank you, R68. It's good to be the king.

by Anonymousreply 6911/27/2012

Believe it or not, the Jaguar XJ8 has been an extremely reliable car since 2004 or so.

by Anonymousreply 7011/27/2012

Bump more recommendations...

by Anonymousreply 7111/27/2012

The best car I've ever owned was a Honda CRV. I owned it for ten years and 130,000 miles and had no major issues outside of regular maintenance. I drive another Honda now, three years and I have no problems with it.

by Anonymousreply 7211/27/2012

According to a mechanic Honda Accord and Civic and Toyota Camery and Corolla are the most reliable.

However, I'm sure there are some that are equally reliable - the Honda Fit seems to just be a wagon version of the Civic...

by Anonymousreply 7311/27/2012

Is Lexus fairly maintenance free? What about Infiniti G?

by Anonymousreply 7411/27/2012

The New Camry

by Anonymousreply 7511/27/2012

2013 Subaru Legacy

by Anonymousreply 7611/27/2012

2013 Honda Accord

by Anonymousreply 7711/27/2012

I drove a Toyota I bought new in November 1982 till May 2000.

The engine was fine at the end; transmission was OK.

The plastics and electrical system were about shot though.

It was still drivable when I donated to the Cancer Society.

I did not buy another Toyota, however. Tired of 'em.

by Anonymousreply 7811/27/2012

That new Camry looks like its trying way too hard.

I would love to get the new Accord.

by Anonymousreply 7911/27/2012

I know BMW gets a bad rap sometimes. Yes--all the advanced tech stuff the cars have can be expensive if not under warranty. I have never loved any cars like the BMW's I've had, and they have been spectacularly reliable, just don't skimp on maintenance. They do require synthetic oil and premium gas ($$$). These cars are TANKS, and drive so beautifully. To the BMW owner that traded for a Subie, you really just needed to weight the trunk with sand bags and you would have been fine. My old 5 series didn't have AWD. Slap on some snow tires and weight the back, and you've got a great winter driver.

I have an AWD 5 series wagon now that I love. I wish BMW would import the 5 series wagon again. I just don't understand the love for SUV's. They drive horribly and get terrible gas mileage. I get a fairly decent 25 miles to the gallon with a turbo 6 cylinder engine. The fun of driving and the utility of the car balance out it's costlier nature. If you love driving like I do, BMW is as reliable as any Japanese car. You'll have MUCH more fun, but it will probably cost you more.

by Anonymousreply 8011/27/2012

I've enjoyed my Audi for 7 years. I'm thinking of getting a newer one only because I want upgraded technology. I had a Porsche Cayenne for a while and never had a problem except that I had to replace tires every 20k miles and brake pads and that was expensive beyond belief. I love my A4 and it's not expensive to maintain. I'm interested in that new Ford hybrid though.

by Anonymousreply 8111/27/2012

Brake pads and tires every 20K? WOW, R81. I'd be broke right now. Are you looking at the Fusion? The design is awesome. It's based on the Mondeo, the European version.

by Anonymousreply 8211/27/2012

I had a couple of Toyota Corollas that were amazing workhorse vehicles. High mileage cars with low maintenance. One got stolen and the other got totaled when it was parked. A friend was service manager for a Toyota dealership. He's the one who steered me to Corollas. I've heard Camrys are considered to be in the same high mileage class, but a friend who spent way too much money on a Camry hybrid has had many problems with his Camry, most of them having to do with that technology.

by Anonymousreply 8311/28/2012

[quote]To the BMW owner that traded for a Subie, you really just needed to weight the trunk with sand bags and you would have been fine. My old 5 series didn't have AWD. Slap on some snow tires and weight the back, and you've got a great winter driver.

Yeah, that's me. I had heard that, about the weight in the trunk. I was going upstate on the Taconic Parkway every weekend and a few times on that twisty road I almost lost control of the car. I agree though. It was the finest car I've had. I bought it used but in pristine condition. They really are the Ultimate Driving whatever...

I drive in and out of NYC in the Subie every day. It actually has a cushy ride now that it's bigger, but it will never match the "on a rail" ride of the BMW. I have a feeling the electrical system and wipers which broke the bank on my BMW will be better with the Subaru.

by Anonymousreply 8411/29/2012

Anybody driven a hybrid sedan?

Just wondering how they "feel" compared to a gas engine. Plus, it's not that I'm a speed demon, but I wonder if a hybrid sedan feels slow, such as in passing a car on the highway.

by Anonymousreply 8511/29/2012

[quote]Is there a make of car today that you can really buy new and expect at least ten reliable years from?

OP, the short answer is "it depends." Fun, huh? A few years ago I would've said "buy a Toyota or Honda," but as you noted Toyota's had some reliability dings lately (for good reason - even *they've* admitted they stepped off the ball quality-wise), and even Honda's starting to fuck up; they just redesigned the 2013 Civic a mere *year* after introducing an entirely redesigned model. Yes, the 2012 was THAT bad; most of the car critics said they liked its predecessor better!

I'll say the following as a car geek:

**Do NOT buy ANY luxury make -- *including* Lexus and Infiniti -- if you're seeking reliability on a long-term scale. Yes, Lexuses are by far the most reliable luxury cars, but that does NOT mean they can be accurately compared to Toyotas in terms of reliability, particularly the newer ones. In their constant race to keep up with BMW and Benz, Lexus keeps introducing more and more seemingly wacko electronic options, whether it be cars that can parallel-park themselves or drive themselves via sonar-based cruise control. Most of these technologies are entirely untested in terms of long-term reliability, simply because they haven't been *around* for the long term. Oh, and listen to R58: BMWs, Benzes and Audis are quite reliable, but the maintenance costs on all of them are a TOTAL bitch, and don't make the mistake of assuming you'll somehow be able to find a cheap AND reliable mechanic who's a true expert on German cars. Absolutely do NOT buy any high-performance car, even a BMW, unless you don't mind tire and brake pad expenses that are out the wazoo.

**There have been many posts on this thread about driving in snow, but most Americans today don't live in snowy climates (or places that get snow more than once or twice a year at most). Furthermore, I'd have to agree with the poster upthread who said you can get by without AWD even in snowy climates as long as you have good snow tires and preferably traction control.

**If I *personally* was buying a new car today for your intended purpose ... I'd probably get a Honda CR-V. Contrary to what some idiot said upthread, they are most definitely *not* "chick cars," and they're both reliable and relatively commodious if you need to haul stuff. I prefer German sports sedans, personally, and my last several cars have been BMWs, but under NO circumstances would I recommend buying a new one and keeping it for any period after the initial warranty runs out; as I already noted, maintenance costs are a *bitch* and, worse, the major services just happen to be needed right after the 50K-mile warranty runs out. (I paid over $2,000 for a 60K-mile BMW service once, and that was from a comparatively *cheap* mechanic.)

**Finally, I know you might have a temptation to get a hybrid, if only for the gas savings, but keep in mind that only Toyota and Honda have been building them for a good amount of time, and even they aren't infallible; my brother once got a nasty surprise when his "high mileage" Civic Hybrid turned out to get about 30mpg in hot and humid weather due to the A/C being on constantly. These days there are plenty of non-hybrid cars that get over 40 mpg on the highway, ones you don't have to worry about in terms of unpleasant surprises.

by Anonymousreply 8611/29/2012

R85, I had a Prius as a rental one time. Slow. As. Molasses.

by Anonymousreply 8711/29/2012

One other thing, OP: these days you can forget about knowing where a car was built based on the brand. Most "Japanese" cars sold in the U.S. are built there; Toyota Camrys are built in Kentucky, and Honda Accords are built in neighboring Ohio. Ditto many German cars: most modern Volkswagens (Jetta, Passats and Beetles) are built in Mexico or the U.S., which is why their build quality and reliability has turned into total shit, and BMW X3s all call from South Carolina. On the flip side, many "American" cars aren't all that American; most of the new Chrysler and Dodge models coming out have either German (old Mercedes components from when the brand was still owned by Daimler) and/or Italian (new Fiat owners) components). I've told a number of friends needing a full-size SUV to get a Dodge Durango, because it's essentially a Mercedes GL-class for half the price. Finally, the same goes for Hyundais (which btw have improved DRASTICALLY in quality just over the past 7-8 years): most Sonatas and the like are U.S.-built these days.

by Anonymousreply 8811/29/2012

Has anyone driven the new 2013 Altima yet? It loos like an Infinti M and a Maxima fucked and had it, but it doesn't seem as hideous in person as it does in pictures. The interior seems dull, and Nissan isn't as reliable as other Japanese brands, but is likeable enough. I like the exterior of the new 2013 Accords, but the interior is weird. I still like the redesigned Sonata, but the base version is awful to drive.

I wish I could afford a BMW 5-series. One of my uncles has one and it drives like a dream.

by Anonymousreply 8911/29/2012

The Chrysler 300 is based on the 2002 Mercedes E Class, using the E Class axle. The Dodge Durrango has almost nothing in common with Mercedes.

Hyndai/Kia drastic 7 year improvement in quality is a statement in itself. But it is not drastic enough to keep up with Toyota, Mazda, Subaru or Honda. It is however, drastic enough to surpass GM. The problem is Hyundais are now the same price as the much better Japanese cars.

BMWs are insanely technically complicated and getting worse. That is why using a non certified BMW mechanic, can void your warranty.

Nissan is owned by the French company Renault now. Although they don't engineer cars to the same advancement as the Germans or the same quality as the Japanese, they are becoming more stylish. I noticed this with their new Infiniti M35.

by Anonymousreply 9011/30/2012

Avoid Kia's at all cost. They are horrible, but stylish, junk.

by Anonymousreply 9111/30/2012

I get the feeling that China will destroy the Korean auto industry.

The Chinese industry is built on stealing others ideas, slave-labor cheap wages and political bullying of Washington due to them owing the US debt. Korea can not compete with this.

by Anonymousreply 9211/30/2012

I am going to be buying a cheap sedan next summer. I have a 2005 Honda Civic now and am generally happy with it. I am passing it on to my niece who is getting her license.

Now to a really important question.....

Why are car colors so limited? I looked at Honda, Toyota, and Subaru and none of them makes a green car.

I want a green car!

by Anonymousreply 9311/30/2012

#90, the new GC and Durango are both based off the last ML and the GL is just an extended ML. #88 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 9411/30/2012

I'm looking at the 2013 Honda Accords and notice that they all have CVT transmissions. Are they supposed to be better? Owners say you can get up to 40 mpg on the highway with them.

by Anonymousreply 9511/30/2012

I agree, r90. I want British Racing Green but most of what's out there is a shade of grey.

Does anyone have an opinion about the VW GTI? I love them from afar but still love my 2002 Lexus soccer mom mobile. It's just too big to easily park where I live now.

by Anonymousreply 9611/30/2012

For reliability? Subaru. They are safe to drive and not expensive to maintain. They have much better pick up than they used to and a standard shift gets respectable mileage. I am driving mine until the end of time.

by Anonymousreply 9711/30/2012

I have 187k on my 2005 Mazda 3 and I've never had a problem with it.

by Anonymousreply 9811/30/2012

Did they give you a Mazda wristwatch with it R98?

by Anonymousreply 9911/30/2012

[quote]I'm looking at the 2013 Honda Accords and notice that they all have CVT transmissions. Are they supposed to be better? Owners say you can get up to 40 mpg on the highway with them.

The new Subaru has CVT. It's noisier than regular transmissions because it doesn't really shift but it does improve gas mileage. CVT transmission just winds out. Once you're up to speed, it's very quiet. (I've learned to drive mine so it doesn't rev so high.) But think of a boat engine.

by Anonymousreply 10011/30/2012

R100, I recently purchased a 2011 Subaru Legacy with CVT... I know what you mean about loud and soft sounding engine. I've only had it 6 weeks so still haven't figured out how to keep it quiet.

I L O V E the car. Comfortable, good mileage, quiet, nice sound system. You can drive the car manually and I've done that several times. Interesting having to shift by pressing the paddles behind the steering wheel.

I've owned Subaru's for years. I got rid of my 2003 Forester (219,000 miles) for the Legacy.

by Anonymousreply 10111/30/2012

R60, I have a 2002 Volvo that still runs great. 145,000 miles on it. Yes, I've had things replaced, but nothing really major with either the transmission or engine.

by Anonymousreply 10211/30/2012

I've had 3 Mercedes, and nothing wrong with any of them. Nothing drives like a Benz!

by Anonymousreply 10311/30/2012

I have a 2003 Honda Civic with 115,000 miles on it. I have done all the recommended maintenance like timing belt and tune up. It is reliable--the only annoyances are that the driver side lock sticks and one of the back windows won't roll down. I have new car fever...but I love not having a car note. I want something a little "sexier" but can't really afford that. Might get a Honda Fit, but I'd really like a C-RV. I've been looking around, but I don't really like much out there in my price zone. I always wanted an Element but they don't make those any longer.

I haven't looked into Subaru or Mazda--I'll check into those. I just can't make myself get excited about a Ford, but I hear good things about the Focus.

by Anonymousreply 10411/30/2012

Oh yeah...friend of mine had a 2010 Mercedes that recently BURST INTO FLAMES. Apparently has happened before with that model but not enough for a recall. Isnt once enough?

by Anonymousreply 10511/30/2012

R60, I have an old Volvo, a 1997 850. Comfortable, but a mess electically and way too needy on repairs. The electrical problems are typical of the era for Volvo. The rest may be atypical.

by Anonymousreply 10611/30/2012

Kind of a Volvo nut here. Some models are built like tanks and will run forever, but others are problem prone. I had a 2005 S80 that was awesome, but mine was not the fancy T6 version which is notorious for transmission problems.

by Anonymousreply 10711/30/2012

A Ford F150 will outlast any car.

by Anonymousreply 10812/01/2012

If you had to choose, would you get a Honda Accord or Honda C-RV?

by Anonymousreply 10912/01/2012

I have a 1980 ford granada. Red with a vinyl top. Runs like a dream.

by Anonymousreply 11012/01/2012

That's a real man magnet, yes?!

by Anonymousreply 11112/01/2012

I have a 2005 Honda Accord that has never been in the shop save for routine maintenance. My partner has a 2008 Prius that is a money pit. The fucking headlights alone...

by Anonymousreply 11212/01/2012

[quote] Oh yeah...friend of mine had a 2010 Mercedes that recently BURST INTO FLAMES

I've heard about that happening. A friend's sister was driving in her Mercedes on the LIE and fellow drivers were frantically waving at her. She looks in her rearview mirror and smoke is coming out of the back of her car. She couldn't see their were also flames. She pulled over, a man also pulled over, jumped out of his car, opened the door to her car, physically picked her up and ran and the whole car went up in flames.

by Anonymousreply 11312/01/2012

She fucked him missionary-style on the verge, didn't she, R113?

by Anonymousreply 11412/01/2012

That's a lot of driving R101. My 14-year-old BMW that I traded for the Subaru had 140,000. My 2011 Legacy has 37K on it now because I've started driving to work from Long Island.

The trick is to regulate the CVT transmission with your foot. You kinda shift it with the accelerator. Next time you're passing, hit the gas so it revs high, but then immediately let your foot off the gas a little and then reapply pressure. It'll switch to a lower "gear" and give you even more torque.

I use the paddle shifters to slow down in traffic, or when I'm getting of an exit, to downshift.

by Anonymousreply 11512/01/2012

Do you have to do all of that with a CVT automatic transmission?

by Anonymousreply 11612/01/2012

No R116, but it gets kind of loud.

by Anonymousreply 11712/01/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!