Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A drag queen was snuck into the movie of "Les Miz"

He's in a scene with Anne Hathaway, who says "It's not the first time."

Hathaway also compares her "I Dreamed a Dream" to Susan Boyle's and Patti LuPone's.

by Anonymousreply 811/26/2012

Bitch is Oscar bound.

by Anonymousreply 111/26/2012

"A drag queen was snuck into the movie of Les Mis".

Yeah, Hugh Jackman.

by Anonymousreply 211/26/2012

I'm sure several drag queens will be sneaking into a showing of Les Miz.

by Anonymousreply 311/26/2012

How the hell did she miss hearing Patti's version all these years?

by Anonymousreply 411/26/2012

[quote]So director Tom Hooper told her to simply do it differently and to think of it not as a song, but as "a howl from the center of your soul."

Howling, all right. Her voice also sounds like a cat's screech.

by Anonymousreply 511/26/2012

With a certain amount of vocal ability a good actor can do such a song justice, which is I gather what she has done. Sometimes you get both in one package, actress and great singer. Really that is what a good singer is, or that is to say a great singer is usually an artist- which mean if the song is a ballad, acting the lyric is key to the success of the song. Garland and Streisand are masters of this- as was Holliday (without the spectacular voice) and Peggy Lee (without the spectacular voice.) Sinatra and Nat King Cole were both great singers and acting singers.

A great example of how important acting and artistry in song is, is Joni Mitchell singing Both Sides Now as a young woman when she wrote the song, and more recently as a much older woman. He voice is a shadow of its former self but the song (a great one) is much more powerful in her later rendition.

I suppose the third attribute of the great singer is musicianship. A great singer sings at times like an extention the orchestra- or whatever the ancillary music to the vocal is.

In any case, in the clip of Hathaway I have seen she appears to deliver. I hope the movie is good.

by Anonymousreply 611/26/2012

Anne compares favorably to Susan and Patti. Susan can't sing and no one can understand Patti's lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 711/26/2012

[quote]Hathaway's character gets her hair cut so she can sell it to help clothe her child--[bold]a traumatic moment for the actress[/bold], who had music piped into her earphones to soothe her during it.

She is really milking it, isn't she?

by Anonymousreply 811/26/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!