Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Guy Pearce?

Where has he been? I looked at his IMDB and he's obviously still working. I just can't remember the last memorable thing he's been in. I thought he was so hysterical in Priscilla Queen of the Desert." Was he into drugs or something? It seemed like there was so much potential that wasn't realized. He's not getting the big roles and he should have.

by Anonymousreply 7606/02/2013

He was in Prometheus, albeit under a hell of a lot of makeup.

by Anonymousreply 111/25/2012

[quote]I just can't remember the last memorable thing he's been in.

Um, The King's Speech. It won Best Picture.

And the year before that he was in The Hurt Locker. It also won Best Picture.

So you didn't see two Best Pictures in a row?

by Anonymousreply 211/25/2012

He was good in "Mildred Pierce," if TV (HBO) counts.

by Anonymousreply 311/25/2012

[quote]So you didn't see two Best Pictures in a row?

Yikes. Still haven't seen the Kings Speech which is hard to believe but true. Saw the Hurt Locker but must have forgot him in that. You have a point. Obviously, I'm not seeing enough films.

by Anonymousreply 411/25/2012

He's going to be bottoming for Jeff Stryker in his comeback project.

by Anonymousreply 511/25/2012

I would totally pay good money to have a look at that.

by Anonymousreply 611/25/2012

I will always love him for his role in L.A. Confidential and he was great in Mildred Pearce as someone has already said. I think he won an Emmy for that role.

by Anonymousreply 711/25/2012

So gorgeous in "Priscilla" when he was out of drag: his body was unbelievable--ripped and perfectly muscled.

by Anonymousreply 811/25/2012

He was the guy at the beginning of The Hurt Locker who dies in the explosion.

by Anonymousreply 911/25/2012

Lockout is another film I heard was good and haven't seen. The prison in space movie.

He looks good in this promo clip. The interviewer is hysterical!

by Anonymousreply 1011/25/2012

Oh then I definitely remember him. Thanks R9

by Anonymousreply 1111/25/2012

He's also in "Lawless" with Tom Hardy and Shia LaBeouf.

by Anonymousreply 1211/25/2012

I saw him in some Australian true crime movie. The case was very interesting. A beautiful daughter is murdered by the neighborhood fat loser girl if I recall correctly. It was called In Her Skin.

Remember he makes movies in Australia that don't make it big here.

by Anonymousreply 1311/25/2012

I gather he was in Prometheus ..under heavy makeup.

and ditto R8, hi sbody was amazing in Priscilla.

by Anonymousreply 1411/25/2012

Guy was King Edward, the Duke of Windsor in The King's Speech.

by Anonymousreply 1611/25/2012

I remember now, thinking back...I didn't have a clue, so thanks.

by Anonymousreply 1711/25/2012

He just won an Emmy for last year for Mildred Pearce.

by Anonymousreply 1811/25/2012

[quote]I think he is pos, don't you?

NO, don't be stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1911/25/2012

And neither is Hugo Weaving.

by Anonymousreply 2011/25/2012

Guy Pearce has had anorexia.

by Anonymousreply 2111/25/2012

He was fabulous in the Snowy River TV series in OZ.

by Anonymousreply 2211/25/2012

OP, lay off the crack pipe. Guy won an Emmy last year, has co-starred in 2 back to back best picture winners, and continues to work steadily.

by Anonymousreply 2311/25/2012

He is in the middle of a comeback, though.

I could see why the OP thought he disappeared.

Apparently he was into drugs, meth according to one of the late, decent gossip threads here.

I've always loved him. I hope he's clean and starts getting leads again.

by Anonymousreply 2411/25/2012

He had multiple issues. Pearce was mostly a big pothead and added boozing and drugging up. It relates to his addictive personality past where he was obsessed with food/weight training. As a teen he got into body building and competed for a few years. Accd to Pearce, he obsessively kept a food diary for six years and says now that he'd be half his size if he didn't have someone reminding him to eat. I also wondered if he did steroids as a teen b/c of the eating disorder.

When Pearce talks about his sister he says that he both resents his mother for making him responsible along with feels that he shouldn't become 'too famous'. Apparently, he feels guilty about success b/c she won't be as successful given that she's intellectually disabled as he calls it.

Years ago he admitted that he had a breakdown and took a year off. He got back on track with Proposition and credits the director for helping him grow as an actor.

It could be that the OP can't recognize Pearce b/c the guy gets so into the role it's a character not 'actor Guy Pearce'. He's methody without being 'method' so he tends to immerse himself and change his 'look' for the part. For example, he got uber lean for Mildred Pierce, had to bulk up in five weeks for Lockout, then got covered in age make up for Prometheus and then did something weird to his eyebrows for Lawless. He is doing Iron Man 3 and looks more like himself.

by Anonymousreply 2511/25/2012

Just saw him in Oz made tele movie as Jack Irish; lawyer cum bad boy. Character is based on Peter Temple novels. He was very good.

by Anonymousreply 2711/25/2012

The Time Machine was when it all came to a head. He did that movie to please his manager and he said he lost it.

I don't get the hiv obsessed poster. There is nothing that indicates Pearce is positive. The guy has been happily married for years and goes up and down in weight depending on the film/part and whether he's on his own filming or home. He looks healthiest while on press junkets when he's being himself. As mentioned above, an eating disorder is a more liklier reason why he's decided to stay skinny. He built 20 pounds of muscle for Presilla and a lot of muscle for the cowboy movie after looking skeletal after his breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 2811/26/2012

OP: Pearce works all the time, and I gather that he is thoroughly professional and very well liked. You may have missed him because he tends to disappear into certain roles--because of the makeup in Prometheus, or simply because he dies in The Hurt Locker during the first five minutes. In other roles, though, he totally commands the screen--that sci-fi title someone mentioned upthread, for instance, for which he put all his Priscilla muscles back on. He also did an Errol Flynn bio film, I think in Australia, way back when. Netflix used to carry it, but someone must have stolen the copy. Also, apropos of nothing, a friend of mine who is one of the biggest muscle boys in Chelsea got so scared by The Time Machine that he had to sleep over at ex-boy friends' apartments for three months because he couldn't be alone at night.

by Anonymousreply 2911/26/2012

He has such a weird career. He's king of the cameos in big pictures and "stars" in lesser crap.

He's not a gifted actor and never lived up to the promise of his early work like Priscilla and LA Confidential. Time Machine nearly ended his career completely.

He's not a good enough character actor to disappear into his roles. He's always recognizable, even under mounds of makeup like Prometheus. Yet, he doesn't have the gravitas to be a leading man. He always comes across as pallid and callow. I think his career speaks pretty clearly to that. His best and most honest role in recent years was in Mildred Pierce, the quintessential cad.

I don't mind seeing him on screen, but it always seems like there is a question mark hanging over his head.

by Anonymousreply 3111/26/2012

About 5 years ago, my friend served him in a cafe in Melbourne, and she said he was so skinny it was frightening - she assumed he was either anorexic or a heroin addict.

He looks a lot better now, so maybe he's gotten over whatever condition he had.

by Anonymousreply 3211/26/2012

R31 is the alternate universe response on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 3311/26/2012

by Anonymousreply 3411/26/2012

R31 ... amazing POV. Keep up the good work.

If any current actor disappears into his roles such that he is unrecognizable it's GP, which is maybe why the OP didn't realise that GP has a very very active career.

by Anonymousreply 3511/26/2012

When someone looks as if they have aids, they usually do and I don't know why we have to pretend otherwise. I'm a fan of an actor and noticed he looked sick.

by Anonymousreply 3611/26/2012

Thanks. I appreciate the posters who took pity on my ignorance about Guy's career. I remember his skinny phase and thought he was either sick or on meth. I'd never heard of men having anorexia. But I know it's possible because I used to know someone like the person who described Guy above. He used to measure every part of himself and regulate his weight and what he ate. It was odd. But he looked really good. McConaughey kind of reminds me of Pearce. I've always wondered if they take roles where they can go on drug binges in order to play someone skinny or sick.

by Anonymousreply 3711/26/2012

r. 14, Pearce's face was very feminine and beautiful in Priscilla -- next in beauty to Cillian Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 3911/26/2012

As much as I like Pearce I must admit R31 is onto something. There is a reason why Pearce never became a big star and that has nothing to do with his personal demons. After all he keeps working consistently.

I liked him in Ravenous, a really good Australian film about cannibalism.

He seems to be a thoughtful guy and I love that he loves Kate Bush.

Here is a nice Q&E with Pearce:

by Anonymousreply 4011/26/2012

I have always loved Guy Pierce and I always will. It's odd since I'm not a movie buff, but ever since the first time I saw his face and entered a state of reverie imagining him as my own, no one else has ever fascinated me again.

I know Guy is straight, but I'm not and he simply pushes the right buttons when I see his face.

by Anonymousreply 4111/26/2012

He WAS beautiful in Priscilla, in drag and out. And his acting was better than the rest, I thought.

by Anonymousreply 4211/26/2012

I worked on Mildred Pierce, for which Guy Pearce won an Emmy. He was a dream to work with. ERW, not so much. (I posted about it once and was accused of being Todd H., I wish I were: I would have money and a hot boyfriend).

by Anonymousreply 4311/26/2012

Memento was an awesome movie.

by Anonymousreply 4411/26/2012

I saw him at the Whole Foods in WeHo recently. He was thin, but healthy-looking, and intently reading the label on a package of food.

by Anonymousreply 4511/26/2012

Guy gets good reviews from the critics for his roles whether small or large. IMO he's a very sharp actor and is only getting better.

I'm not a fan of Nolan and I loved Guy in Memento. The man has a lot of range. Just think of him in his three roles prior to the breakdown: Memento, LA Confidential, Presilla. Can anyone say he gave the same performance? Then look at him after the breakdown in The Proposition, Lawless and Mildred Pierce. He's still amazingly good and continues to grow as an actor.

I believe him when he says that after having a nervous breakdown he escaped for a year, read a lot of Buddist books, reflected on what he really wanted and then got back on track.

I don't think he wants to be famous. In addition, he seems to do his best work playing unhinged, desperate men and those are not 'leading man' roles. Those are character roles.

I agree that he has an issue with food so he'll never be the Adonis of Presilla fulltime nor does he want that thus no use in expecting him to fit Hollywood's ideal. At least we got an actor who continues to challenge himself and try out things to pull us into a movie.

by Anonymousreply 4611/26/2012

[quote]I have always loved Guy Pierce and I always will. It's odd since I'm not a movie buff, but ever since the first time I saw his face and entered a state of reverie imagining him as my own, no one else has ever fascinated me again.

by Anonymousreply 4711/26/2012

[quote]He was in Prometheus, albeit under a hell of a lot of makeup.

That was HIM?

Why the hell did they cast a middle aged actor for this role? Who did he have to blow to get this bit part and then be unrecognizable?

When watching the movie, I thought for sure it was the same actor who played the android. (That would explain why they had the heavy makeup and imply that the old man had the android made in his own - younger- image. That would have also explained why the daughter was behaving weirdly with the android thus her dislike for her father. etc. ... would have made more sense. )

Why the hell would they pay a known actor for that role?

by Anonymousreply 4811/26/2012

[quote]Why the hell did they cast a middle aged actor for this role? Who did he have to blow to get this bit part and then be unrecognizable?

For the possibility of a prequel showing the character as a younger man.

by Anonymousreply 4911/26/2012

Ah.... ok r49. That makes sense, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 5011/26/2012

The cast Guy in Prometheus because they had a scene where Fassbender's android character has a dream involving his maker (Pearce's character) and Pearce was supposed to be young. Once they got to shooting the director decided not to do the scene. Instead he filmed the Weyland's TED sequence for online with Pearce being his 'young self'. The question about why not cast an older actor got traction and the director and Guy Pearce both had to respond to it.

Here's the info on the dream sequence:

(Prometheus') screenwriter Damon Lindelof said to Slash Gear about the lost Pearce moment. "There’s a scene in the script that we decided not to shoot, where we see the inside of that dream, and basically David takes a jetski out with a beautiful woman in a bikini, to a yacht, and on the yacht is Weyland. Played by Guy, without old-age make-up: This is his dream."

I think they cast Guy Pearce in case they needed him younger for the sequel(s). The next film's storyline is also 'secret' so we don't know.

by Anonymousreply 5111/26/2012

R38 is ridiculous. Just because I don't believe an HIV diagnosis is something that has to be feel the need to insult me or my intelligence? I'm not insulted and if you think I have aids, I'm fine with that.

I'm sorry if the thought of aidsface upsets you but it's a fact of life and people live with it. Just because you don't want me to bring up the subject doesn't mean I have too keep quiet. After so many people have died, you would think you could finally stop sweeping it under the carpet.

by Anonymousreply 5211/26/2012

"As much as I like Pearce I must admit [R31] is onto something. There is a reason why Pearce never became a big star and that has nothing to do with his personal demons. After all he keeps working consistently."

There are probably various reasons why Guy Pearce never became a big star ... and they also don't necessarily entail AIDS and drug abuse. I don't know about the former but the former is laughable.

Here are some reasons:

- Some actors do not want to become stars. They just want to do good work and be paid well for it. GP has always had that vibe.

- He was a teen heart throb for a while. I suspect he experienced enough of that kind of adulation back in the day. He seems like a very down to earth guy.

- He has an intellectually disabled sister who is the primary carer for. I imagine he has to be careful about what roles he selects (can't be away from Oz for too long).

- He doesn't really tick the Hollywood leading man boxes anyway in that he's just too physically small, has a longterm partner, doesn't appear to enjoy or want a "Hollywood lifestyle". Unfortunately Hollywood prefers mediocre talents such as Channing Tatum (cannot understand how he has hit the big time - it's depressing to think that he will take so many of the upcoming juicy roles - like a male version of Kiera Knightly).

- Luck ( a large part of why some actors make is just plain old luck).

by Anonymousreply 5311/26/2012

Young and naked

by Anonymousreply 5411/26/2012

Are you saying, average guys can get aids but it's ridiculous to think a STAR, could get aids?

by Anonymousreply 5511/26/2012

Likely people don't believe it's an AIDS diagnosis b/c a) Pearce is straight, b) he's admitted he drank and smoked pot and drugs for a short period but nothing about shooting up, c) he's obsessive about the food that he eats and has an eating disorder (goes thru very thin phases), d) he had a one year break but he has a good reputation as an actor that causes no trouble (which drug addicted actors tend to do), e) he's been married/partnered with the same person forever and there is no rumors that he was a whore before his marriage.

I've known plenty of long term HIV+ people and the only one's who look really jacked up face wise are the one's who are closer to death or who are long term heroin addicts who can't give up shooting up so they look bad.

The fact Guy Pearce can bounce back and gain massive amounts of muscle in a short time (see Lockout where he gained muscle mass in a month) for a movie and look 'normal' face wise means that his face looks that way b/c of extreme thinness not because of AIDS. Also Pearce doesn't have the AIDS markers (no crixivan belly). Is it possible for a star to have AIDS? YES but an emaciated guy with a sharp features doesn't mean someone has AIDS (especially nowadays where every star, except Guy, uses fillers to plump up age/underweight ravaged faces).

by Anonymousreply 5611/26/2012

For the longest time, I confused Guy Pearce with star of "Strickly Ballroom", Paul Mercurio. Speaking of which, if you want to discuss careers that sadly went nowhere...

by Anonymousreply 5711/26/2012

[quote] Some actors do not want to become stars.

Haha! I can't believe anyone could possibly believe this! Introverts without a huge amount of drive, ego, and ambition do not "accidentally" find themselves playing decent roles in any movie. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 5811/26/2012

Well r56, maybe you haven't known that many people who have been on the cocktail for YEARS? Pearce was born in 1966 and it is very possible he contracted the disease before he became famous.

When I saw him in Time Machine, he seemed very ill. All you need to do is look at all of his pictures at IMDB, after that, I don't believe you'll be repeating your "theories".

By the way, Anthony Perkins was married with children, when he died of aids. Successful actors, can be infected.

by Anonymousreply 5911/26/2012

Anthony Perkins was gay and died 20 years ago. The first time Perkins had sex with a woman, he was 40 and had decades of gay sex under his belt.

by Anonymousreply 6011/26/2012

I think R31 kind of nails it.

Thank you R54. Got any more?!

by Anonymousreply 6111/26/2012

Yeah R60 I know all of that....but gee, thanks. My point is, he was gay, he was married, he had two child. All of that and he was not straight and he picked up HIV, after his marriage. I'm simply saying, all you supposedly proffession pr fucks can make up your stories all day long, it does not mean I am naive enough to buy them.

by Anonymousreply 6211/26/2012

[quote]Paul Mercurio

I know. He was adorable! Even in lame' ...

by Anonymousreply 6311/26/2012

I love the diagnostic process on DL: He looks like he is positive, therefore he is.

He looks very different with extra weight on. More generic.

by Anonymousreply 6411/26/2012

R64, it's the same person posting repeatedly the HIV diagnosis. His/her obsession over it seems a bit strange.

Anyways, for the OCD poster, you should check out Guy's last interview with Chelsea Handler (another person who has 'AIDS face' when emaciated). Pearce does admit to becoming gayer with age. He was promoting Lawless and filming Iron Man 3 around this time so he was at a heavier weight (for filming?).

The sad part is that GP boasted about cutting down on calorie consumption and weight lifting while upping his cardio, to lose the weight he gained for Lockout. Too bad. His natural weight is likely on the lean side but he'd look better with bulk.

by Anonymousreply 6511/26/2012

[quote]Pearce does admit to becoming gayer with age.

by Anonymousreply 6611/26/2012

R65, I'm disagreeing with someone, or disagreeing with various people. I'm pressing my point, so naturally I'm posting over and over again. It's not strange or odd. I'm a person who does not mind disagreeing with the "know it alls" who want to surpress a different point of view. I can speak my mind and no, I won't simply shut up and go away.

By the way, he has gained weight but to me, he still looks like he is on the cocktail. You just need to look at his pictures at IMDB.

by Anonymousreply 6711/27/2012

I've known plenty of long term HIV+ people and the only one's who look really jacked up face wise are the one's who are closer to death or who are long term heroin addicts who can't give up shooting up so they look bad.

That's not my experience at all, and I've also known plenty of longterm HIV+ people. Some of them have facial wasting for years and years and years... Michael Cunningham is a classic example.

by Anonymousreply 6811/27/2012

I've seen so many men with facial wasting, it's pretty hard not to recognize it. It's pretty distinctive.

I've heard that people can use fillers or maybe lighting and make-up can help disguise it but if an actor doesn't tell anyone, lighting and camara work isn't cover it up.

by Anonymousreply 6911/27/2012

Guy Pearce is bisexual, if you ask me...

by Anonymousreply 7011/27/2012

Guy Pearce has never looked like a man wasting away with AIDS. As thin as the man has been over the years, his skin has remained absolutely beautiful. He's eccentric to be sure, but Guy is not infected with any speculated viruses.

Also, Guy is not the tallest guy, though he photographs tall, he is almost six feet tall. All of his demons are tied up in his sister being challenged and he having everything a person could want, in order to be attractive to the masses. He's every bit as smart as he is sensitive.

by Anonymousreply 7111/27/2012

Go to IMDB and look at the's called facial wasting and even the structure of a persons face changes. I don't believe you understand. A persons skin is not destroyed, just no more fat and the bones are changed. You can see the change, so please just stop lying.

by Anonymousreply 7211/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 7312/21/2012

Lockout is on Netflix. Good action flick and Pearce is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 7406/02/2013

He's a working actor. That's impressive. Do you realize how few people become stars?

by Anonymousreply 7506/02/2013

It's interesting that he hasn't worked with Nolan outside of Memento. He usually recasts his actors.

by Anonymousreply 7606/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!