Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Questions for the bilingual among us.

What other languages do you speak? When did you learn the other languages? As a child or as an adult? How well do you speak the other languages? Basic knowledge of the language or can you use slang and regional phrases?

by Anonymousreply 911/25/2012

English, spanish, italian

by Anonymousreply 111/25/2012

English, French and some Spanish...

by Anonymousreply 211/25/2012

I majored in Spanish, but college is a distant memory, so I'm not as fluent as I once was. Also took Italian and French, so I can get by in the Romance language parts of Europe, as well as Latin America.

by Anonymousreply 311/25/2012

English (native) and German. I started German studies in 1st grade and took it through college.

by Anonymousreply 411/25/2012

English and Ebonics

by Anonymousreply 511/25/2012

English, Spanish, French

I studied French in school and then studied art history in Paris.

Spanish I learned the best way to learn any language, by having a long lasting affair with a native speaker. It was a lot more fun than sitting in class.

I am currently longing for some lessons in Italian.

by Anonymousreply 611/25/2012

Started taking French in junior high. Lived in Paris for about 9 months while in college and have lived in France a month or two here and there when my former job required it. I'd say I'm proficient. When I'm around French people and only speaking French, I improve it seems like on a daily basis. It always comes back much quicker than I think it will. The French people love my accent, too. I'm not bilingual but they can't necessarily pick me out as American. Oddly I get asked if I'm Danish all the time. So, I guess I'm an American who speaks French with a Danish accent. How global! I speak Parisian French. The longer I'm around French people, the more slang I use.

by Anonymousreply 711/25/2012

R5, I believe the correct term for Ebonics is "Jive".

by Anonymousreply 811/25/2012

I have a Dutch mother and an American father, so I was raised with both languages. I grew up in the Netherlands, where I also studied German and French in school. I now live in Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 911/25/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!