Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Upset by a celebrity death?

With Larry Hagman having died this past Friday, I want to ask if any [italic]Datalounge[/italic] posters have personally taken a celebrity's death pretty badly? (Who?)

by Anonymousreply 23302/23/2013

Heath Ledger.

by Anonymousreply 111/25/2012

Jackie Onassis

Princess Diana

JFK, Jr.

Natalie Wood

by Anonymousreply 211/25/2012

Princess Diana was the only one that threw me, but I still never lost sleep.

by Anonymousreply 311/25/2012

It was as if my childhood had finally died.

by Anonymousreply 411/25/2012

Yes, I have taken quite a few celeb deaths badly. I feel weird about it but there you have it.

Andy Whitfield Patrick Swayze Princess Diana John Kennedy, Jr. Heath Ledger

by Anonymousreply 511/25/2012

Lucy and Elizabeth Montgomery

by Anonymousreply 611/25/2012

I cried when Mike Royko & Bill Veeck died ...oh, and River Phoenix too.

by Anonymousreply 711/25/2012

And Sinatra.

by Anonymousreply 811/25/2012

Really, the only time I was deeply affected was Gilda Radner.

by Anonymousreply 911/25/2012

Gilda Radner bothered me too, R9.

More recently, I was surprised how much I was affected by Levon Helm's death.

by Anonymousreply 1011/25/2012

Thurman Munson

by Anonymousreply 1111/25/2012

John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, Princess Di, JFK Jr., Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Phil Hartman, Michael Hutchence (INXS)

by Anonymousreply 1211/25/2012

Neil Armstrong. Crazy, but I was SO upset.

by Anonymousreply 1311/25/2012

Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston because I grew up with their music and remember when both were the biggest stars on the planet. MJ's was unexpected but Whitney's really got to me even though it had been expected for years.

by Anonymousreply 1411/25/2012

John Lennon's was the only celebrity death that shook me. Richard Pryor's made me feel a bit sad.

by Anonymousreply 1511/25/2012

Liz Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith in "Doctor Who")

A little bit of a fond childhood went away with her...

by Anonymousreply 1611/25/2012

Phil Hartman and Michael Jackson

by Anonymousreply 1711/25/2012

Everyone from old Hollywood because a whole era is gone and we are left with third rate losers taking their places. When Elizabeth Taylor died, I was so sad because her death was a real major close of a chapter. She was one thee last that impacted the world's fascination with real movie stars. Also, Diana really sadden me tremendously.

by Anonymousreply 1811/25/2012

[quote]Liz Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith in "Doctor Who")

Me too.

by Anonymousreply 1911/25/2012

When I was young, I was very confused by Freddie Prinze Jr's death. He was this funny, funny guy on his sitcom and then he shot himself. I didn't really understand it at all and I guess I was too young to understand that because his job was to be funny, it didn't mean he didn't have a dark life outside of work.

by Anonymousreply 2011/25/2012

We were so overcome by the death of Judy Garland that we remained drunk for the next 7 years!

by Anonymousreply 2111/25/2012

I was devastated by Ledger's death.He was my pretend boyfriend

by Anonymousreply 2211/25/2012

Donna Summer -- for the cliched reason of how big a part she was of my youth, my gay youth no less. hard to explain to anyone who wasn't a teen in the late 70s. Her death just brought it home that that particular party was over.

I'm sure I'll feel the same way about Deborah Harry. Stevie Nicks. And, yeah, Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 2311/25/2012

[quote]Liz Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith in "Doctor Who")

Oh yes. That was a sad one for me too.

by Anonymousreply 2411/25/2012

R23, I forgot about Donna Summer. That was heart breaking for me too because when I was a little kid her music was played a lot at our home. What terrific memories I have of those days.

by Anonymousreply 2611/25/2012

Sorry OP, you sound pathetic. How does the death of a celebrity that you don't know effect you? Get a life.

by Anonymousreply 2711/25/2012

Adam Yauch as selfish as it is why did he have to dies just as i was getting into the beastie boys.Damn you life!

by Anonymousreply 2811/25/2012

Abe Lincoln. It was so sudden.

by Anonymousreply 2911/25/2012

Princess Di JFK jr. Tim Russert

by Anonymousreply 3011/25/2012

Davy Jones

by Anonymousreply 3111/25/2012

Karen Carpenter

Natalie Wood

Lucille Ball

Peter Allen

(Mixed group, I know.)

I'm usually very casual about celebrities and their lives, hardly paying attention even if I am a fan, but the deaths of those four people really bothered me. It also bothered me greatly that their deaths bothered me, if that makes sense.

And for a long time, it was very hard for me to listen to Phyllis Hyman; probably because so much of her music seems, in retrospect, as calls for help.

by Anonymousreply 3211/25/2012

Jeff Buckley. I was shocked. He was such a beautiful singer songwriter. I cried. I still miss him.

I agree with Donna Summer. She was a legend.

Lucy, as well. I used to have to drive past Cedars on the way to work. She was in the hospital at the time. Across the street was the Hard Rock Cafe. They had a marquee that said, Get well Lucy. The next day, the marquee said, RIP. I was so sad. That night I drove by her house on Roxbury on the way home. I really felt the loss.

by Anonymousreply 3311/25/2012

Many of those above, but Amy Winehouse upset me a lot. So young, so much talent....

by Anonymousreply 3511/25/2012

I've never been personally upset but there are celebrity deaths - River Phoenix, Princess Di, Yitzak Rabin - that have been jarring and surreal to live through.

by Anonymousreply 3611/25/2012

Freddie Prinze was the first one that effected me.

River Phoenix

Princess Diana

by Anonymousreply 3711/25/2012

R35 = Kelly Osbourne

by Anonymousreply 3811/25/2012

Donna Summer's death made me very disoriented for 3 days, she's always been my favorite singer. But I didn't know her personally so I refused to cry about it or anything like that.

by Anonymousreply 4011/25/2012

The double whammy of Farrah Fawcett passing which was expected, followed by Michael Jackson which was not was just a little too much for me that day.

by Anonymousreply 4111/25/2012

John Lennon. But only years later when I realized the impact of the Beatles never performing again and no more Lennon/mcCartney collaboration.

by Anonymousreply 4211/25/2012

Aaliyah. I cried really hard. I just thought she was lovely and it was a shock for her to die so young (and the same age as me).

by Anonymousreply 4311/25/2012

by Anonymousreply 4411/25/2012

Aaliyah's death simply made me angry. Such ignorance and arrogance...caused her death. She was just a kid but some of them with her should have known enough to listen to the pilot.

by Anonymousreply 4611/25/2012

Elizabeth taylor whitney houston and larry hagman brought tears to my eyes. This year has been tough. All these ties to my youth are just being cut one by one.

by Anonymousreply 4711/25/2012

I was upset by Princess Diana more than any other. I can remember crying over Labor Day as I watched her funeral.

When Phil Hartman was murdered it made me angry. I had so many memories of him making me laugh on the Pee Wee Herman show, The Simpsons, Saturday Night Live, and News Radio. He gave so much joy over the years, I was angry that he was taken away from us when he still had more to give.

And just out of pure nostalgia, Madeline Kahn. I wasn't ready to let her go.

As I have gotten older, I'm not particularly attached to any celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 4811/25/2012

Jerry Orbach

by Anonymousreply 4911/25/2012

Elliott Smith, back in 2003

Trish Keenan from Broadcast

by Anonymousreply 5011/25/2012

Another one here for Phil Hartman. I clicked on this thread thinking I'd be the first to mention him, but it's nice to see others were just as shocked and horrified by his death as I.

He was finally posthumously awarded a star on Canada's Walk of Fame this year.

by Anonymousreply 5111/25/2012

R39, thank you me, sometimes I roll my eyes at myself !! R20

by Anonymousreply 5211/25/2012

Selena. At only 23 years old, she was on the cusp of crossover stardom and to have it taken away by her fan club president was epic tragedy. She was considered humble and gracious to fans. Having met her for a school article, she was beautiful, smart, innocent, and I personally think she would have done great things in life. Whitney Houston was shocking because no one thought her demons would win but they did.

by Anonymousreply 5311/25/2012

Martha Raye, funniest woman who ever lived

by Anonymousreply 5411/25/2012

Donna Summer and Mary Travers.

by Anonymousreply 5511/25/2012

Raul Julia and Jim Henson's deaths still make me sad. And, though not surprising, I also found Amy Winehouse and Whitney Houston's deaths to be terribly sad.

by Anonymousreply 5611/25/2012

I feltso bad when Whitney died, even tho I knew for a long time, in my heart, that I would be reading about her like that. Michael was surprising. I felt a pang because his music was the soundtrack to my growing up years. But they were nothing compared to how I felt about JFK, Jr. and Heath Ledger.

JFK, Jr. just broke my heart. So did Heath Ledger. And honestly? I adore Elizabeth Taylor. I knew she was older and in failing health. She'd had a lot of crises and yet, when it happened, I felt a real sense of loss.

I guess I felt pretty bad when Peter Jennings died, too. But nothing like JFK Jr, Heath & Elizabeth. Can't think of who is around now, that would evoke that kind of response.

by Anonymousreply 5711/25/2012

I can honestly say that no, I've never been upset by a celebrity death.

by Anonymousreply 5811/25/2012

I was shocked when River Phoenix died. He was my favorite actor and I had no idea he was into drugs. I thought it was a ridiculous rumor at first.

I was very freaked out by Rebecca Schaeffer's murder. I wasn't really a fan but she was so young and it was so alarming that she just answered her door and her stalker shot her.

by Anonymousreply 5911/25/2012

Natalie Wood

JFK, Jr.

by Anonymousreply 6011/25/2012

R13- me startled hearing about Neil Armstrong, cried when I heard what his daughter said in a family press release- "don't grieve for my dad, he had a wonderful life- and the next time you look up at the moon, give him a wink"....... Cried when Lucy died, and Liz Taylor had me upset for days.....odd, but no real emotion for much mentioned JFK Jr.- especially when it was revealed that he basically killed himself, his wife and sister in law by flying with a cast on his leg- an arrogant and entitled ahole.....and Caroline giving the Bessette family 6M NOT to sue the family is disgusting. The should have contacted the the family of the girl Uncle Ted killed in the bridge "accident" and the Moxley family in Conn. and filed a joint lawsuit. Murder runs in the family..... Sorry to get off on a tangent, but while I worship Jackie Bouvier, another death that rattled me, I can't stand that family and the bull the have gotten away with going back to Joe Kennedy's bootlegging days......

by Anonymousreply 6111/25/2012

R33 here. Sharon Tate. I was a child, but my parents were shocked and I was scared. She's buried at the same cemetery as my relatives, so sometimes I visit her grave.

by Anonymousreply 6211/25/2012

George Harrison, I heard about his death on the radio driving to an IEP meeting and proceeded to cry uncontrollably.

by Anonymousreply 6311/25/2012

Lucy. Just Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 6411/25/2012

Dusty Springfield.

I'd loved her when I was a gayby in the 60s and was thrilled by her comeback in the 80s with my fave pop group Pet Shop Boys.

Then to have her die of cancer - yes, we fans all knew she was ill but still - we thought she could get through it and come back to us again.

Her voice still thrills and moves me every time I hear it.

by Anonymousreply 6511/25/2012

Interesting thought question. Here are the funerals I watched on CNN, and privately shed a tear. The Nixon one is a bit of an outlier, but he was so demonized, and for so long, I felt bad for his family.

Beverly Sills Jackie Onasis Princess Diana Richard Nixon

by Anonymousreply 6611/25/2012

Another vote for Diana, I just felt this can't be happening especially when I saw that tangled mess of a car before she was pronounced dead. I wanted her to win the battle with the Windsors. She was just shaping a life of her own. People deride her for not doing more, but the truth is she did more than necessary.

by Anonymousreply 6711/25/2012

Zsa Zsa Gabor. I cried for days remembering her visits to Merv. Her wonderful movies. Her warm and funny personality.

There will never be another like my Zsa. Her passing touched me like no other.

by Anonymousreply 6811/25/2012

Zsa Zsa is still alive Magda. God!

by Anonymousreply 6911/25/2012

Magda, dahling, I am still alive. It is EVA who is dead.

People were always mixing us up...

by Anonymousreply 7011/25/2012

Lucille Ball. I cried on the day she died. She was such an icon coming into my home every day with reruns of her old "I Love Lucy" show, followed by reruns on CBS mornings of "The Lucy Show," and then in the evenings on Mondays with her "Here's Lucy" show in the 70s. It was like she was part of the household. And then she grew old and died at the end of the 1980s, the same day my Bobby cat got run over by a car.

by Anonymousreply 7111/25/2012

LOL Zsa Zsa, well said!

by Anonymousreply 7211/25/2012

Elizabeth Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 7311/25/2012

Marlon Brando and Heath Ledger too

by Anonymousreply 7411/25/2012

[quote]I adore Elizabeth Taylor. I knew she was older and in failing health. She'd had a lot of crises and yet, when it happened, I felt a real sense of loss.

Me too. Given that she'd had health problems since she was a teen, had cheated death before, and had a mother who made it to 99, I figured she'd hang on into her 80s at least, by sheer force of will.

by Anonymousreply 7511/25/2012

John Lennon

Jerry Garcia

Frank Zappa

George Harrison

by Anonymousreply 7611/25/2012

Robin Gibb. I was going through a bit of a bad patch that week, and the news of his death just pushed me over the edge. When I got home that day I played "How Deep Is Your Love?" and "Nights On Broadway" on a loop and had a really good cry.

by Anonymousreply 7711/25/2012

Richard Burton- only because I could only imagine how sad that was for Elizabeth Taylor. I also felt strangely upset by Jerry Orbach passing away. I really liked Jerry Orbach.

by Anonymousreply 7811/25/2012

by Anonymousreply 7911/25/2012

David Halberstam

Christopher Reeve

Knew both of them through business interactions. Really hit hard.

by Anonymousreply 8011/25/2012

John Lennon, Princess Diana and most recently, Heath Ledger. Because all three were so unexpected and all of them, particularly Ledger were young, I was doubly upset.

by Anonymousreply 8111/25/2012

Best Reaction To A Celebrity Death EVER ....

by Anonymousreply 8211/25/2012

Sinatra- don't know why? I didn't really like him until I was 17. And his history is not one of a gentleman's. But his voice hits me. I didn't know him but I know his voice.

by Anonymousreply 8311/25/2012

Another vote for Bea Arthur--so larger than life, it's like she would NEVER die.

by Anonymousreply 8411/25/2012

I was moved to tears on reading that Bea Arthur left $300,000 to a home for homeless gay youth. Bless her.

by Anonymousreply 8511/25/2012

To me, hearing that Larry Hagman had died was like hearing it was going to be 74 degrees instead of 73 degrees today.

by Anonymousreply 8611/25/2012

"Elizabeth taylor whitney houston and larry hagman brought tears to my eyes. This year has been tough. All these ties to my youth are just being cut one by one."

by Anonymousreply 8711/25/2012

JFKjr & Phil Hartman

by Anonymousreply 8811/25/2012

R83 I love those queens reacting to Diana's death.

The very definition of MARY!

by Anonymousreply 8911/25/2012

Claude Daigle

by Anonymousreply 9011/25/2012

Mostly because all reports indicated she would survive a major heart operation. So call me both surprised and upset.

by Anonymousreply 9111/25/2012

R54, can you elaborate more on your school article? I once saw a video of a visit she paid to a middle school and she was very down-to-earth and joking with the kids, signing stuff. What I loved about her was her ability to laugh at herself, especially when she made a mistake. Sometimes she would get a Spanish word/phrase wrong and when corrected would thank the person and laugh it off. Like when she went on Cristina and meant to say fourteen but said "diez-y-cuatro" instead of "catorce." LOL! She was so funny and adorable.

I too was hit hard by Selena's death. I'm Hispanic so she became a standout in the community -- even all the way here in Massachusetts.

by Anonymousreply 9211/25/2012

Bernie Mac because I had met him and he was a sweetheart. I was really hurt by his death.

River Phoenix because I had it bad for him as a kid.

Kevyn Aucoin.

by Anonymousreply 9311/25/2012

I was sad when Tupac died it felt like a big loss musically. Also I upset when JFK Jr. died he was so handsome and a very nice person. Diana and Versace were shocking too. I broke down and cried watching Michael Jackson's funeral on TV. But in a weird way it seemed ok that he died young because to me he seemed very tortured in life especially with how he mutilated his face and rampant drug use. Huge talent though.

by Anonymousreply 9411/25/2012

Only once, really, and I can't really explain it either: Heath Ledger.

I had a friend who was deeply affected by Kurt Cobain (sent him into a depression spiral)

by Anonymousreply 9511/25/2012

Surprised and shocked by some, felt bad also but it usually passed within a day. I don't know them.

by Anonymousreply 9611/25/2012

Freddie Mercury. To this day. Such a waste. There but for the grace of god go I and many of my friends. I also appreciate his bandmates' founding and continuing the work of the Freddie Mercury Phoenix Foundation in the fight against AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 9711/25/2012

Amy Winehouse, as [R35] said, she really was hugely talented...

by Anonymousreply 9811/25/2012

Joey Stefano

by Anonymousreply 9911/25/2012

Weirdly -- Jerry Orbach. I didn't think it would upset me like it did.

by Anonymousreply 10011/25/2012

Only if you weren't paying attention, R102.

by Anonymousreply 10211/25/2012

John Lennon--shocking in how it happened and truly the last gasp of the sixties and what they represented.

Whitney Houston--not unexpected but tragic all the same, hit me harder than I thought it would.

by Anonymousreply 10311/25/2012

Elvis. I wasn't particularly a fan, but it was ELVIS, for goodness' sake. Lucy. I'd been a fan since early childhood. I had called the hospital she was in(Cedars Sinai?)to get the address to send a get well card and the woman I spoke with said she was recovering quickly. Samantha Smith. Her death in a plane crash at 13 years old made me wonder why anyone bothers to try and even exist day to day. Brandon Lee. I had a major thing for him, I don't know why. When he died in that completely preventable accident just as his career was starting to take off.... Princess Diana. As with Elvis, not a big fan, but she was likewise ubiquitous. Another of those people who permeated the collective consciousness.

by Anonymousreply 10411/25/2012

The only one that I can say affected me was Heath Ledger. Only because it was so unexpected. But otherwise I don't know why I felt the way I did. I generally don't care.

But I'll probably lose it over Betty White.

by Anonymousreply 10511/25/2012

[quote]But I'll probably lose it over Betty White.

No wonder. She's led such a brief life, and has only enjoyed fame for such a short while.

by Anonymousreply 10611/25/2012

Natasha Richardson. Hard to say what upset me most--the manner of her death, her youth, her two sons, etc. Not to mention the work she would have done in the months and years ahead.

by Anonymousreply 10711/25/2012

I anticipate being upset when Angela Lansbury, Barbara Cook and Carol Burnett die.

by Anonymousreply 10911/25/2012

Jonathan Brandis

by Anonymousreply 11011/25/2012

John Candy. His is the only celebrity death I shed a tear for, what with being a Canadian and all. He was a national treasure.

To a lesser extent John Lennon, JFK Jr., and Princess Diana deaths were saddening.

by Anonymousreply 11111/25/2012

John Lennon. Especially because he was starting to look like John Lennon again. He'd shaved off that greasy looking beard and cut his hair. He no longer looked like samurai white guy. I thought he might be recovering his mental health. We'll never know.

by Anonymousreply 11211/25/2012

[quote] John Candy. His is the only celebrity death I shed a tear for

I miss John Candy. He was one of the greats. He would have had a very long career and I would probably not have found him ubiquitously annoying in coming years, like Robin Williams, Tom Hanks and Jim Carrey have become.

by Anonymousreply 11311/25/2012

Karen Carpenter. I was only 12 at the time and had no idea she was so sick. It really shocked me because my mom used to play Carpenters albums all the time. I still get a little sad when I hear some of her songs.

by Anonymousreply 11411/25/2012

I didn't realize the impact Jim Henson's death would have. The Muppets were practically a part of the background of life. They just always seemed to be there. And them they weren't the same and they disappeared for years. Even with a new muppet movie, it's not the same.

by Anonymousreply 11511/25/2012

[quote]Princess Diana. As with Elvis, not a big fan, but she was likewise ubiquitous. Another of those people who permeated the collective consciousness.

But her correct name never did.

by Anonymousreply 11611/25/2012

Whitney Houston because it was such a waste of a great talent and a beautiful lady! Princess Di because it was so shocking and she was so beloved! JFKJr because it was such a waste, period! Others have bothered me but not as much as these three. Oh, Marilyn Monroe but I was too young to know much about death or anything else!

by Anonymousreply 11711/25/2012

John Lennon

George Harrison

Michael Jackson

by Anonymousreply 11811/25/2012

For some reason Anne Bancroft. I had not heard she was ill and it just seemed so sudden. I LOVED her.

by Anonymousreply 11911/25/2012

Thanks for mentioning Kirsty MacColl, I had forgotten how shocked I was by her death. People I worked with were all saying, Who? But I loved her music and her personality so much.

BTW, I was the one who mentioned Gilda.

by Anonymousreply 12011/25/2012

John Belushi

John Candy

Chris Farley

Phil Hartman

by Anonymousreply 12111/25/2012

Agreed about Gilda Radner. I met her one I was a child and she was just a lovely funny woman. She died about 6 years after I met her and I was so devastated. Madeline Kahn too.

Another really nice woman my family knew was Broadway actress Anita Morris. She was another lovely woman and her death was seemed so sudden (even though she fought it for years privatly)

All from that damn ovarian cancer.

by Anonymousreply 12211/25/2012

No. If I am upset by death, it is people who have nobody, people who's death means nothing to others.

by Anonymousreply 12311/25/2012

Princess Diana.

She was a Goddess sent to rule by divine right, only to be murdered by the Queen's filthy husband.

by Anonymousreply 12411/25/2012

I'm never upset about celebrity deaths if they involve someone who is famous just for being famous or infamous.

But I get upset when true artists die, especially if they are still performing/writing/painting, etc.

Madeline Kahn as others have mentioned. In the opera world about 15 years ago, three singers died around the same time, all too young: Tatiana Troyanos, Lucia Popp, Arleen Auger. Gilda Radner.

And when an icon goes it's always sad, even if the tears don't flow. Beverly Sills would be an example of this.

by Anonymousreply 12511/25/2012

I'm surprised some of you were upset at the deaths of Chris Farley and Amy Winehouse. If ever I knew two youngish celebrities would quickly end up dead, it was the two of them. Their early deaths seemed inevitable to me: they were clearly out of control when it came to substance abuse. Same with Whitney's.

by Anonymousreply 12611/25/2012

Donna Summer really affected me too, because her music was such a big part of my formative years and I still listen to it today. She had been terminally ill for close to a year and they kept it really quiet - there was no news that she had been sick so when her death was announced it was a shock.

Teena Marie's death affected me the same way.

by Anonymousreply 12711/25/2012

I have been obessed with the life and death of Ms. Phyllis Hyman. She was a beautiful black woman with an angelic voice that will stand the test of time. It's unfortunate that Ms. Hyman's mental illness prevented her from seeing the true and beautiful spirit that she was. I will always remember her and forever be grateful for the beautiful voice she possessed. I wish she had been able to recieve the help she needed and still been able to maintain her artistic style. However, the one gift she thought she had would be ruined by using chemicals that would have helped her to get well. It is truly sad when we love and admire celebrities but forget they are human also. They are just as vulnerable as the rest of us. This inspiring, beautiful stateque of a woman seemed to be a very scared and lonely little girl. My heart will also go out to her and how she must have felt. i hope and pray that I will meet her in heaven some day.

by Anonymousreply 12811/25/2012

I cried when Phillp Carey (Asa on OLTL) died. My dad died from cancer the year before, and Phil was doing so well, I took great comfort from that. His passing really upset me, not just because of my dad, but for his own sake too . I was pretty upset when Clint Ritchie died as well.

by Anonymousreply 12911/25/2012

I'm still bothered by Natasha Richardson's death....

because I've watched the remake of the Parent Trap a zillion times with my niece.

And, I don't care what any of you bitches say, I'm still sad that Steve Irwin is gone.

But, the one death that I'm bothered by the most is Princess Diana.

by Anonymousreply 13011/25/2012

r 128: Agreed about Donna. A real shock. And I had NO idea Teena Marie died.

R.I.P. Andrea True and Vicki Sue Robinson...

by Anonymousreply 13111/25/2012

Humans, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 13211/25/2012

Elizabeth Taylor - but it was more about me than her. Her death told me I was getting old. She was the STAR during my childhood, and endured despite some really bad performances later in her life.

I expected her to be there forever. And then she died. And I realized she was a mortal.

by Anonymousreply 13311/25/2012

And Ruffian, R133

by Anonymousreply 13411/25/2012

Bobby Kennedy.

by Anonymousreply 13511/25/2012

Nelson Rockefeller's, becuase his death caused my private school to moev to the UWS from Midtown, and John Lennon, because he was shot on Central Park West.

by Anonymousreply 13611/25/2012

Elizabeth Taylor; Princess Di; Katherine Hepburn; Pete Duehl (I was a kid and could not imagine why he killed himself)

by Anonymousreply 13711/25/2012

Gilda Radner

Phil Hartman (my fave SNLer) -- so completely out of the blue.....

Thurman Munson' s death made also made cry....and I'm a Dodger fan!

But the biggest hit, several years ago, was the master, Chick Hearn! Greatest basketball announcer who ever lived, period! Part of the soundtrack of my life! I wept for days, after he passed away.....

by Anonymousreply 13811/25/2012

Heath Ledger JFK Jr

by Anonymousreply 13911/25/2012

Marilyn Monroe RFK Natalie Wood Lee Remick Paul Newman

by Anonymousreply 14011/25/2012

Yep. Lee Remick, so talented and so young. Madeline Kahn. Dusty Springfield and, because I met her a few times and she was so pleasant, Bea Arthur. Diana's death always seemed inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 14111/25/2012

I'm upset that Madonna hasn't died yet.

by Anonymousreply 14211/25/2012

I can't believe no one has said Kurt Cobain. My mother called me from (literally) her death bed to ask me if I was okay. That day SUCKED.

by Anonymousreply 14311/26/2012

Yeah, I was really bummed by Jerry Orbach's death. He was a NY institution. You just thought he'd always be there, wisecracking on everyone.

by Anonymousreply 14411/26/2012

Lindsay Lohan

by Anonymousreply 14511/26/2012

I was completely devastated when Andy Williams died two months ago. It has been only with the help of medication that I have even been able to get out of bed each day. I play "Moon River" over and over, weeping each time. Twice a year I would go to Branson to attend his shows. I have to wonder whether life is even worth living any longer. This is so much sadder than when my parents died in that grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 14611/26/2012

Just my personal opinion: unless you know the celebrity personally, it's bizarre to be upset if he/she dies...Celebrities are people just like the rest of us...

by Anonymousreply 14711/26/2012

Seriously R147, it sadden me that Andy Williams died. The called him mister Christmas because of his Christmas shows in the 60s and 70s. There was a documentary made on his Christmas shows, and they played it last night. His shows were very special and they were very Americana. He was one the many unique entertainers that will never be replaced. He was an end of an era.

by Anonymousreply 14811/26/2012

Johnny Carson and Davy Jones.

Davy Jones was my very first crush and the most beautiful guy I'd ever seen.

Johnny Carson's Tonight Show helped me through some lonely nights and I loved how he was with his guests.

I understand what you are saying about Andy Williams, R149. My parents used to play his Christmas music while we decorated the tree and we used to watch his Christmas shows together.

by Anonymousreply 14911/26/2012

I'm trying to imagine what hell on earth it would be to date/partner the humorless douchebags who don't get being affected by someone whose work/art/whatever meant something to you. i'd say "Stay the fuck away from me" but bores like that reveal themselves fast anyway.

"A life without obsession is no life at all" says John Waters and he's right. People with no passion for anything are fuckin' drags. (I swear, I'd even take the queen squealing over Di's sudden death than one of those mopey assholes: "Who cares, you didn't know her").

by Anonymousreply 15011/26/2012

The greatest loss of our lifetime is without a doubt Princess Diana. Nobody else even comes close. Although JFK Jr. Was pretty big too.

by Anonymousreply 15111/26/2012

R151 is one of those celebrity-obsessed morons who has no life of his own. Seriously, I mean it's strange to cry or be very upset over someone you don't know...You only know his/her public persona or work. Obviously, if anyone (famous or not) dies in a horrible way or dies young, most people spend a bit of time thinking about it as something that's sad and unfortunate. To obsess or put your life on hold over someone you don't know, though? That's just fucking crazy. It's fine to be passionate or obsessive over something but not a fucking celebrity. That means you're living through that person when you need to get a life of your own.

by Anonymousreply 15211/26/2012

Elizabeth Montgomery

Donna Summer

by Anonymousreply 15311/26/2012

R153, I think R151 isn't embracing celebrity obsession, I think he was trying to say that these people made a huge impact on our society through their fame that touched our lives in one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 15411/26/2012

Otis Redding, Janice Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Bryan Jones, Pigpen of Canned Heat, Marc Bolan, Minnie Riperton, Mama Cass, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Lowell George of Canned Heat, Jim Morrison, Sam Cooke,

by Anonymousreply 15511/26/2012

Heath Ledger. Still recovering.

Then, Bobby Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe, JFK and Princess Diana.

But I was sad to hear of many others; Among them:

John Ritter, Tony Perkins, Vitas Gerulaitis, James Dean, Robert Francis, Leslie Nielsen, Frank Gorshin, Christopher Bowman, Berry Berenson, (victim of 9/11, Anthony Perkins' widow), Chad Everett. The list is very long.

by Anonymousreply 15611/26/2012

And also,

Sal Mineo

Montgomery Clift

Jon-Erik Hexum

Bruce Lee

by Anonymousreply 15711/26/2012

Versace, Diana and Huchence all occurred within the same six months and all deaths seemed so pointless.

Jerry Orbach

Heath Ledger

by Anonymousreply 15811/26/2012

Millions have never recovered from the tragic event of June 22, 1969.

by Anonymousreply 15911/26/2012

Couldn't get upset over Liz's death because she'd been squawking for years about almost dying. Death got the last laugh.

by Anonymousreply 16011/26/2012

OMG, yes, put Johnny Versace on the list. I was absolutely shocked when that happened. He was a sweet man.

by Anonymousreply 16111/26/2012

Minnie Riperton. Mainly because I thought that she was getting better.

Still reeling from Whitney's death, mainly because it could have been avoided.

by Anonymousreply 16211/26/2012

Two which affected me very much were two people who honestly I never gave a lot of thought to..

Natasha Richardson was one. I always liked her as an actress and saw her in CABARET twice (didn't really care for her in it btw) but her death was just so shocking.

The other was Ann Miller. She was someone I appreciated for the camp value but it really hit me as she seemed the end of an era and epitomized a certain type of a star we will never see again.

Oddly enough other celebrities of whom I actually was actually much more of a "fan" not so much. (Lucy, Liz etc)

Other ones which really shook me up in a very different way was Rebecca Shaeffer (who would be 45 now. Wow.) and of course John Lennon. Senseless

by Anonymousreply 16311/26/2012

Is John Belushi forgotten? His death hit me hard, because it was sending the message that "remember, this shit has consequences."

by Anonymousreply 16411/26/2012

I'm always saddened when a great Hollywood star dies:

Audrey Hepburn

Katharine Hepburn

Elizabeth Taylor

Paul Newman

Jack Lemmon

Walther Matthau

They signify the end of an era. I can't imagine anyone being upset when Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Anniston or Reese die.

by Anonymousreply 16511/26/2012

[quote]Millions have never recovered from the tragic event of June 22, 1969

The Cuyahoga River catches on fire?

by Anonymousreply 16611/26/2012

Michael Hutchence

Amy Winehouse

by Anonymousreply 16711/26/2012

We're crying as we type!

by Anonymousreply 16811/26/2012

[quote]OMG, yes, put Johnny Versace on the list.

Oh, DEAR...

by Anonymousreply 16911/26/2012

Natalie Wood

Paul Newman

Gilda Radnor

by Anonymousreply 17011/26/2012

R53, my "no life" has been spent working on films with more than a few people on this thread and well spent. And even in regards to the many I never met -- like Donna Summer -- it's still perfectly acceptable to acknowledge that their talent impacted your life.

So many cunts, so little time. How does DL find them all?

by Anonymousreply 17111/26/2012

Paul Davis, singer-songwriter, whose music I had rediscovered and who sometimes posted on his website. He was virtually unknown by many, although he had a few hits on his own and many with other artists, including Tanya Tucker & Marie Osmond.

by Anonymousreply 17211/26/2012

I found Corey Haim's death very upsetting, because his life was so depressing as well. I only really knew him from Lost Boys, but that was enough connection for his tragic life and death to really upset me. I'm sure mostly because he was such an innocent little kid in Lost Boys (and for all of his actual career).

by Anonymousreply 17311/26/2012

River Phoenix

by Anonymousreply 17411/26/2012

The crock hunter Steve Irwin. Grew up watching him and I was so sad that he died. Couldn't even watch the memorial.

by Anonymousreply 17511/26/2012

R172 there's a HUGE difference between acknowledging what someone's talent/work means to you and thinking that this person's death is a big loss in your own life. Being a fan is reasonable; being an obsessive omg-my-favorite-movie star/singer-died-i'm-gonna-cry-freak is pathetic. You're the cunt for being so dramatic, celebrity-obsessed, and out of touch with reality.

by Anonymousreply 17611/26/2012

Natalie Wood was a shocker and made me very sad. More recently, Jill Haworth only because I got to know her briefly over the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 17711/26/2012

Forgot to add -- Natasha Richardson.

by Anonymousreply 17811/26/2012

Bollocks R177. It's actually completely normal to cry when a celebrity you followed or who was big in your life dies. Our brains don't know the difference between knowing someone personally or impersonally on an emotional level.

That said I give you two things: It's best not to spend all you time and energy thinking about people who don't even know you, if you have other options, in order to "have a (worthwhile) life", and what happened after Diana's death was downright disgusting.

Still, especially for a young person, but actually for everyone, being sad or crying when their favorite star dies is completely normal and perfectly healthy.

by Anonymousreply 17911/26/2012

Yeah, I can't stand people like R169 or R177.

I'm not an emotional person to begin with, and I could never cry over the loss of a celebrity. But I had friends who lost it over Whitney. And, for reasons I'm not sure I could even articulate, I love them for that.

by Anonymousreply 18011/26/2012

R180 and R181 it's weird. Crying over someone you don't know and who doesn't know or give a fuck about you makes no sense and is pathetic. What we know of these people is their public persona, which is often not their real personality, but it's what they put forward for their career to advance. Too many drama queens in this world. Our celebrity-obsessed culture has made this idea of crying over celebrity deaths seem "normal" but it's disturbing. At the end of the day, they're only people like the rest of us and not any more special than ordinary people. The truth hurts I guess.

by Anonymousreply 18111/26/2012

This is not our celebrity obsessed world. Everyone was supposed to grieve when the Pharao died and many did, same with other kings etc. When you know someone and they mean something to you, you'll have feelings. That's just being human.

Obviously people also react emotional to nobody strangers' tragedies. That's a slightly different topic, but it also shows that people can have feelings for people they don't know personally quite easily.

by Anonymousreply 18211/26/2012

I was devastated by the death of Amy Winehouse and Michael Jackson. Mostly because I felt a mix of loss and anger. I can't help but feel angry that people close to both of these fragile creatures let this happen.

by Anonymousreply 18311/26/2012

Christopher Reeve's death upset me, because he meant so much to my childhood and because it all ended so badly for him. I remember thinking, "Shit. Superman's dead and Lois Lane's bugfuck crazy."

Michael Jackson's death didn't upset me, but it bothered me some, because, like Reeve, he practically defined my early teens and again, it all went so sour before the end.

by Anonymousreply 18411/26/2012

Someone here once noted that we live in a Post-Traumatic world so are always in need of drama...

I'm sad when someone whose work I've enjoyed dies, and am shocked when it happens suddenly (or badly) but it really doesn't derail my own life.

by Anonymousreply 18511/26/2012

This thread has certainly brought out proof that gays are not judgemental and mean due to having been judged and meaned on in so many unfair ways. yes,I am being ironic.

by Anonymousreply 18611/26/2012

[quote]having been judged and meaned on in so many unfair ways. yes,I am being ironic.

Ironic, or moronic?

by Anonymousreply 18711/26/2012

Segue - some comedian or SNL should have made fun of Alanis Morissette with an "isn't it Moronic?" sketch

by Anonymousreply 18811/26/2012

Alanis Morissette provided enough laughs, given that she appeared not to know what irony really is.

by Anonymousreply 18911/26/2012

'cause I have one hand in my pocket and the other one's givin' you an UP YOURS

by Anonymousreply 19011/26/2012

Selena (too young), Phyllis Hyman (too young), Michael Jackson (too young) & Patrice O'Neal (too young)... all of them were unexpected as well. Definitely felt a little blue after hearing about it.

by Anonymousreply 19111/26/2012

I was very upset about E. Taylor, because she was the only celebrity who really stood up for the gays when aids hit and she followed it through until her death. She had a big heart and has ALWAYS been there, my whole life.

John Lennon.

Lynn Redgrave's death really upset me. I must have always felt a special connection to her and her death was unexpected and all the more shocking for it.

I don't think it's loser-ish to feel sad when a celeb dies, at all. They are often a part of our lives.

by Anonymousreply 19211/26/2012

r192, you didn't expect Patrice?

No offense, but he was a walking time bomb who wouldn't change his lifestyle to stop his decline.

Louis CK said that flat out in an interview (with Terry Gross, I think) and he was crying as he said it.

I'm not dancing on his grave, but I wasn't shocked. I was sad he went when he did because he was just starting to have some success after doing things his way. I had issues with him, but I always respected the fact that he didn't sell out.

by Anonymousreply 19311/26/2012

I was still recovering from my Mom's death when Lucy died not two weeks later. Mom loved Lucy and I could still hear Mom's laughter in my head as she watched ILL. Then the person responsible for that laughter was dead too.

One that I don't think I saw mentioned was Edie Adams. For some reason her death made me somewhat emotional. I really loved everything about her. I thought she was a terrific entertainer and she managed to live a good life even though she had to face some hardships.

by Anonymousreply 19411/26/2012

r192, I had always watched Patrice when he was on television, but I never really went beyond that. I did not know his lifestyle like that. He was just Patrice who cracked me up. So yes for me it was unexpected and I was sad about it.

by Anonymousreply 19511/26/2012

Davy Jones and Robin Gibb both upset me. Both because they were way too young and because they were such a part of my childhood and early teens. Davy was so sudden and unexpected, and Robin's decline was so sad, seeing him so ill for so long.

by Anonymousreply 19611/26/2012

All music icons for me.John Lennon was the first one I ever cried over. George Harrison, of course, even though I knew it was coming. Eric Carr of KISS was so incredibly sad, he was so young.Davy Jones, oh, I cried. 52 year old lesbian, and I was heartbroken! I was on my way to my uncle's funeral when my sister-in-law told me her mother had called and told her Wendy O. Williams had killed herself. My uncle died of cancer, so we expected it, and I'm kind of ashamed to say that at his funeral, I was crying over Wendy. I worshiped her when I was a young punk.

by Anonymousreply 19711/26/2012

A celebrity's death I took surprisingly personally was John Ritter's. He reminded me of my dad, who had died the year before. In some strange way I felt like I lost my dad all over again.

by Anonymousreply 19811/27/2012

Natalie Wood and Amy Winehouse

I was seriously very upset about Natalie and I was just a kid.

Amy had me crying for weeks.

by Anonymousreply 19911/27/2012

Davy Jones died?

by Anonymousreply 20011/27/2012

John Lennon

by Anonymousreply 20111/27/2012

When I read, years after the fact, that most of the cast of Boys In The Band had died of aids, I was pretty upset about it. Still am.

by Anonymousreply 20211/27/2012

Ritter's death brought some tears to my eyes. I remember that Johny Cash had passed the same day. Yes, some people are hystrionic over a celeb's death and it seems silly when it is taken to the extreme. They're probably crying for themselves on some level. As to the argument need to realize that some people lack empathy like sociopaths but Aspies as well. Someone with Aspergergers is not going to get why a stranger would feel sad over a celeb death. I did notice that the death of Steve Jobs was their exception. Now that was a study in our society's oddballs. Remember that?

by Anonymousreply 20311/27/2012

Davy Jones. He was my first crush, too.

by Anonymousreply 20411/27/2012

Jon-Erik Hexum.

I was mesmerized by his combination of easy-going charm, masculinity, beauty and kindness.

I got the impression he was kind based on his role as Phineas Bogg on the TV show Voyagers and how patient his character was with that kid Jeffrey, who, let's face it, could be challenging.

by Anonymousreply 20511/27/2012

Paul Newman

Kurt Cobain

Chris Farley

Princess Diana

Judd Nelson

by Anonymousreply 20611/27/2012

...this torch we'll ALWAYS carry for our nations golden child...

by Anonymousreply 20711/27/2012

Judd Nelson is alive. Is that a joke I'm not getting?

by Anonymousreply 20811/27/2012

[quote]It's actually completely normal to cry when a celebrity you followed or who was big in your life dies.

Only if you're a gay man or a 14-year-old girl.

by Anonymousreply 20911/27/2012

RIP Jill Munroe

Private Dective And World Class Race Car Driver

by Anonymousreply 21011/27/2012

The frustrating thing with Amy Winehouse, Whitney and Michael Jackson was that we all expected it and nobody prevented it.

by Anonymousreply 21111/27/2012

Charles Schulz's death was the end of an era.

by Anonymousreply 21211/27/2012

Don't understand how anyone with a brain could be upset by a celebrity death. I didn't know them. Means fuck all to me.

by Anonymousreply 21311/27/2012

I have paused for a moment and said a little prayer for most of the celebs mentioned to speed them on their way and thank them for entertaining me over the years. But the one death (don't know why) that had me upset for days was Jon Erik Hexum. He just seemed to have such promise and his loss because of a stupid accident just seemed such a waste. Even after all these years it bothers me. I hate to see waste because of stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 21411/27/2012

John Lennon's senseless murder literally had me in hysterics. Probably because I saw a tiny bit of myself in him ( unfortunately, not on the talent department)

Lennon was a bit of a paradox. Here was a man who was an advocate, revolutionary and crusader for peace, justice and equality for all, yet he also had a very nasty, sarcastic almost viscous streak in him.

Add in a phenomenal genius for words and music,plus artistic talent............

I'm still upset 30+ years later

by Anonymousreply 21511/27/2012

Yeah, right, R10, talk to straight guys when they lose a beloved sports figure or coach. And my best straight friend cried over John Lennon's death.

Some of you cunts really are sociopaths, you know that? Please stay the fuck out of my way.

by Anonymousreply 21611/27/2012

Above is to R210, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 21711/27/2012

Kurt Cobain, Anne Bancroft, River Phoenix, Heath Ledger

by Anonymousreply 21811/27/2012

Carroll O'Connor, who in real life was about as far from Archie Bunker as possible.

John Candy and to a lesser degree Chris Farley. You could see Farley's death coming and it wasn't as shocking as Candy's.

Anne Bancroft. Who even knew she'd been sick?

The much-mentioned Elizabeth Taylor.

Princess Diana but not so much JFK Jr. Most people I know were more upset by Jr.

Agnes Moorehead, because I used to fantasize Endora was my grandmother.

Almost all of the cast of The Wizard of Oz, one by one over the years.

by Anonymousreply 21911/27/2012

I was upset when Bea Arthur died. I knew she was older than dirt and it was going to happen sooner rather than later, but it still made me sad because The Golden Girls was and still is one of my favorite shows and Bea just seemed like such a great person.

by Anonymousreply 22011/27/2012

Paul Newman Jack Lemmon Gregory Peck

...because they were on my radar for as long as I can remember, going from early-middle to old-age, working almost to the end (same with Jack Nicholson)

Carroll O'Connor Merv Griffin

..see r4

by Anonymousreply 22111/27/2012

Dan Fogelberg. Gerry Rafferty. Bob Welch.

by Anonymousreply 22211/27/2012

Well, I was pretty. Upset that my father didn't live to see that I got an Oscar too.

by Anonymousreply 22311/27/2012

Princess Di

Amy Winehouse

Anna Nicole Smith

by Anonymousreply 22402/15/2013

Elliott Smith. Cried for days. God now I am going to start crying just thinking about him...

by Anonymousreply 22502/15/2013

John Stamos...I grew up on Full House so it was quite a shock.

by Anonymousreply 22602/15/2013

The two greatest losses of our lifetime are without a doubt, Princess Diana and JFK Jr. Nobody else even comes close.

by Anonymousreply 22702/18/2013

No, not once, not ever.

by Anonymousreply 22802/18/2013

John Lennon because it also symbolized the end of an era.

by Anonymousreply 22902/23/2013

Princess Di, JFK Jr., Larry Hagman, Elizabeth Taylor, Marvin Hamlisch (we had mutual friends, although I never met him), and - and this is SO embarassing that I can't remember her name - the young actress who played the sister on "My Sister Sam", who was murdered - 1989? Horrible; only 19 or 20ish - SO sad.

by Anonymousreply 23002/23/2013

I mortified myself by bursting into tears the morning I learned Princess Di(ed). I've felt like an ass about it ever since.

by Anonymousreply 23102/23/2013

[quote]The two greatest losses of our lifetime are without a doubt, Princess Diana and JFK Jr. Nobody else even comes close

What? Not to deny their deaths were tragic, but both had no talent to be missed and were famous for nothing (equivalent to the Kardashians). JFK jr was unknown outside the US and was a bit of a failure in life, and Princess Di was headed to obscurity like Sarah Ferguson especially if she would have had the Arab guy's baby and married him. When a singer, actor, performer, writer or any kind of artist dies, its so different because we of what we'll miss.

by Anonymousreply 23202/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!