Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

OMG there is no strong Best Actress candidate!!!!

Glenn, Viola, and Michelle must be so sad their films weren't held back a year!!!!

(P.S. are we still using the comma before the preposition or has that been changed?)

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 4212/01/2012

Sorry M, but the contenders this year are much better and less mediocre then you and the other 4. The Iron Lady was a piece of shit.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 111/25/2012

It's a pretty weak year for acting in all four categories so far, in my opinion.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 211/25/2012

I don't know if there are no strong best actress candidates, but this is looking like it might be the weakest year for leading women in film in a very long time.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 311/25/2012

Weak year in all four categories? Um, John Hawkes, DDL, Sally, Helen Hunt, Denzel, Marion Cotilliard to name a few.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 411/25/2012

Helen Hunt - The Surrogate

Laura Linney - Hyde Park On The Hudson

Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook

Keira Knightley - Anna Karenina

Marion Cotillard - Rust and Bone

Quvenzhane Wallis -€“ Beasts of the Southern Wild

Mary Elizabeth Winstead -€“ Smashed

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 611/25/2012

Sorry--the Helen Hunt movie is now called "The Sessions," and the Laura Linney movie is "Hyde Park on Hudson" (no "the")

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 711/25/2012

Knightley and Anna Karenina sucked though. No chance of a nom. Jude Law -might- pull out a supporting nom if that field is weak .

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 911/25/2012

Remember when the M posts were genuinely funny, rather than just tedious and passé?

...well?...

...Actually, I really don't either, to tell the truth...

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 1011/25/2012

To add to R6-

Emmanuelle Riva- Amour

Rachel Weisz- The Deep Blue Sea

Naomi Watts- The Impossible

Helen Mirren-Hitchcock

Jessica Chastain- Zero Dark Thirty

Not a chance in hell but she's wonderful in it is

Linda Cardellini- Return

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 1111/25/2012

What about Aaron Taylor-Johnson for Anna Karenina?!? Holy rap he was gorgeous in that movie and is a better actor than Keira orJude.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 1311/25/2012

*Holy crap

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 1411/25/2012

I'm curious also to see if Elizabeth Olsen is good in THERESE RAQUIN.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 1511/25/2012

I wish Mira Sorvino would be considered for Union Square.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 1711/25/2012

Leaving Aaron Taylor-Johnson's hotness for another thread, Jennifer Lawrence is a phenomenal actress, and I say give her the Oscar. It's a shame she's stuck doing those shitty Hunger Games movies, though

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 1911/25/2012

[quote]It's a shame she's stuck doing those shitty Hunger Games movies, though

Yeah, that TOTALLY sucks.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 2011/25/2012

I'm not at all familiar with the Helen Hunt film, but I can't believe that she might possibly win a second time for Best Actress. I mean, that would put her in company with the likes of Bette Davis and Vivien Leigh.

I don't dislike her, it just seems so improbable.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 2111/25/2012

[quote]Remember when the M posts were genuinely funny, rather than just tedious and passé?

Aren't there two "M"s. One is for Meryl and many people post as that. The other M is the entertainment lawyer I think.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 2311/25/2012

Even if that is true, that doesn't in any way change my observation, r23.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 2411/25/2012

Helen Cunt is banal.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 2511/25/2012

If you're mean to M, she might not come back on New Year's Eve.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 2711/25/2012

Honey, if that's how you really get your jollies, you're leading a pretty empty life.

p.s.--Learn to type in coherent sentences when you're trolling.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 2811/25/2012

You're an idiot, r29.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 3011/25/2012

[quite]If you're mean to M, she might not come back on New Year's Eve.

Promises, promises.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 3111/25/2012

Jennifer Lis receiving a ton of great buzz for SLPB. She has a TON of goodwill in Hollywood. Directors, fellow actors, crew, everyone love her. She's a total pro and makes very wise role choices and I think they're going to reward her for this. She opened a major blockbuster earlier this year and now is receiving across the board raves for her character in SLPB. Shows the range she had.

She's only 22 and already has one Oscar nod under her belt. I think They'll go ahead and give it to her now. She'll get one sooner than later and this is a weak year for those going up against her.

Michelle and Viola must be SO pissed they were caught in Meryl's "she's a legend, just give it to her" campaign last year. And who orchestrated that? Harvey Weinstein.

Who is backing Silver Linings Playbook? Harvey Weinstein.

It's Lawrence's to lose.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 3311/25/2012

Jennifer Lawrence is clearly winning. Her only competition is Jessica Chastain.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 3511/25/2012

Jessica Chastain doesn't even talk in the trailer for her film. Odd.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 3611/25/2012

Naomi Watts is in some film pundits are starting to point out as a potential nominee.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 3711/25/2012

It is an odd year for buzz - or the relative lack of it - for leading women.

Lawrence, Riva, Cotillard, Wallis seem likely oscar nominees.

Possibly Knightley and Chastain.

And I'm going out on a limb and predicting a nod for the immensely talented and justly popular among her peers Rachel Weisz. I can see Weisz winning the Nat. Board or, more likely, NY Film Critics award. The movie (and Weisz IS the movie!) is starting to be remembered even though it came out so early, as revealed in the New Yorker's review of Anna Karenina:

The year’s second new “Anna Karenina” adaptation—and the worse of the two—opens today (it’s the one directed by Joe Wright and starring Keira Knightley). The better, by far, came out in the spring, under the title “The Deep Blue Sea,” and it has nothing to do with Tolstoy. It was directed by Terence Davies, stars Rachel Weisz, and is nominally adapted from a play by Terence Rattigan. The story is of a woman who’s married to a prominent attorney, has an affair with a dissolute young officer, and comes to grief. Which is to say that the movie has everything to do with Tolstoy—indeed, far more than does Wright’s movie. Yes, forget Tolstoy; Wright did. Look at the book again: if it weren’t for the profound insights yielded up by Tolstoy’s exquisitely nuanced and contemplative yet precisely descriptive prose (which I’ve read only in translation), it wouldn’t be much, mainly an adultery plot of the kind that has been fuelling movies, great and otherwise, from the start.

With his images, Davies achieves an inwardness, realizes a psychological imagination through poignant physical detail, that’s of a kind with Tolstoy’s writing. Wright, with flat and flavorless images of an utterly impersonal banality, takes Tolstoy’s plot and translates it into a cinematic language that’s the equivalent of, say, Danielle Steel, simultaneously simplistic and overdone.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 3811/25/2012

Weisz was terrific, but there's no way in hell she's getting nominated.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 3912/01/2012

Streisand?

Maybe Meryl'll squeak in for that dreadful thing she did with Tommy Lee Jones.

By the way TLJ will be nominated for both Lead and Supporting, and he'll win Supporting.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 4012/01/2012

Do we have a Therese Raquin troll?

Also, it's being renamed as just "Therese".

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 4112/01/2012

Of all the deluded predictions, Tommy Lee Jones nominated as Best Actor for Hope Springs has got to win the prize.

by M, always striving for perfectionreply 4212/01/2012
Need more help? Click Here.