Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jerry Lewis' screen persona

The slightly retarded, helium-voiced manchild. Why did he settle on this image to present to the public? From what I've read, he was the the polar opposite in real life: shrewd businessman, quite the ladies' man.

Any sizemeatus verificacia?

by Anonymousreply 2509/18/2013

Liz Renay said Lewis remained "true to his wife" (in his own mind) by sitting in a hotel room with her while she pranced around naked in high heels and he jerked off on a little piece of shag carpet he carried in his pocket for precisely that use.

When it was over, he told her "That's probably the most HONORED piece of carpet in the world."

by Anonymousreply 111/24/2012

An utterly repulsive human being, on every level.

by Anonymousreply 211/24/2012

The French adore him. He must smell like very old cheese.

by Anonymousreply 311/24/2012

Why did he settle on this image to present to the public? From what I've read, he was the the polar opposite in real life: shrewd businessman,

I think you've answered your own question.

He was immensely successful playing a doofus. Why would he want to do anything otherwise?

He tried, and failed spectacularly, with his Nazi deathcamp film.

by Anonymousreply 411/24/2012

I loved him when I was a kid, but then I was eight years old. I don't know how he was popular with adults. As I got older I couldn't tolerate him.

by Anonymousreply 511/24/2012

Hey LAAADY!

by Anonymousreply 611/24/2012

Because that persona made people laugh. And it made him money. Lots of it, that's why. It wasn't until much later that he was found out to be a total unmitigated egomaniacal asshole of the first order. Dean Martin hated him and THAT is what broke up their act. Dean wanted to get out from under his narcissistic, manipulative, NEEDY and overbearing shadow. Dean wanted a solo career but also could not stand to work with him any longer. It was decades before they even spoke, at least publicly. I think they were reunited on one of the telethons in the 80's or 90's?

by Anonymousreply 711/24/2012

R2 NAILED IT.

THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 811/24/2012

Has he ever acknowledged his illegitimate daughter? She looks just fucking like him, poor thing. She was homeless for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 911/24/2012

He was fantastic in The King of Comedy. I'd go so far as to say he was robbed of an Oscar nomination. Brilliant film.

by Anonymousreply 1111/24/2012

[quote]His 50 year dedication to and raising hundreds of millions for MDA truly mitigate whatever personality flaws the man might have. How many of us have done so much to help so many?

Very few.

And how many of us have created a film character so irritating that people wince in pain when they recall it?

by Anonymousreply 1211/24/2012

You're right, r10 - Lewis did raise a lot of money but on his terms. Like slobbering all MD patients and portraying them as ever so grateful and pitiful cripples. And the telethons were really about Jerry - how exhausted he was, what a fucking saint.

Then times changed and MD patients began objecting to being patronized and exploited and being rolled out in their wheelchairs to be pitied. They asked him to knock off the Queen for a Day bullshit and Lewis didn't like that. It was only a matter of time before he left.

He's always been a miserable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1311/24/2012

Who was his illegitimate daughter, R9? Shari Lewis?

by Anonymousreply 1411/24/2012

He was strange. Always waiting for that shoe to drop and he would blow his top

by Anonymousreply 1511/24/2012

I always thought he was in love with Dean.

by Anonymousreply 1611/24/2012

[quote] They asked him to knock off the Queen for a Day bullshit and Lewis didn't like that. It was only a matter of time before he left.

Wow, I can't believe anyone else remembers, "Queen for a Day". I remember it from when I was about 5 years old and I'm 55.

It may have been only a matter of time before he left, but didn't he host the telethon for many decades?

by Anonymousreply 1711/24/2012

He was also excellent in Funny Bones. Much more talented as a serious actor.

by Anonymousreply 1811/25/2012

R18, Funny Bones was the only movie that he was in that I could stand.

Had a few very brief contacts with him. Proved to me that he truly is the self involved asshat DL has always claimed.

by Anonymousreply 1911/25/2012

"His 50 year dedication to and raising hundreds of millions..."

That was his job -- he couldn't get another.

R11, yes, Lewis was wonderful in The King of Comedy. Problem was, after the release of the film he got a syndicated talk show, and guess who showed up? That phony fawning egomania jackass, Jerry Lewis. Show didn't last long.

by Anonymousreply 2011/25/2012

"Liz Renay said Lewis remained "true to his wife" (in his own mind) by sitting in a hotel room with her while she pranced around naked in high heels and he jerked off on a little piece of shag carpet he carried in his pocket for precisely that use.

When it was over, he told her "That's probably the most HONORED piece of carpet in the world.""

Lewis keeps a jiz-soaked carpet scrap in his pocket?

by Anonymousreply 2109/15/2013

"He was immensely successful playing a doofus."

Okay, but it wore very thin after Lewis turned 40. And to see him trying to be funny by acting like a miserable retarded jerk now is just pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 2209/18/2013

Must take one to know one,R2.

by Anonymousreply 2309/18/2013

Jerry Lewis lived a luxurious lifestyle for decades courtesy of the Muscular Dystrophy Association which picked up the bill. He was extremely well-compensated for all the fund-raising he did for them.

by Anonymousreply 2409/18/2013

R24 has it right . He was paid millions over the years for 'expenses', which amounted to Lewis living a very lavish lifestyle on the backs of those poor people afflicted with MD, as well as volunteers, and of course everyone who donated, thinking their money was going towards research, therapy, and looking for a cure . Yes, he worked hard for MD, but never think he did it without being extremely, extravagantly, well compensated. Beyond anything you can imagine.

by Anonymousreply 2509/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.