Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Acne scarring

Has anyone had any success with procedures to eradicate it?

I'm not Edward James Olmos, more like Chris Pine (without his other attributes) :-(

by Hate myselfreply 2411/24/2012

Acne scars can look very masculine & sexy. Think twice.

by Hate myselfreply 111/24/2012

Haven't had any work done but from what I've read lasers, Fraxel, and eMatrix work for some people. There ar many different lasers out there. If you go that route make sure you read up on the specific laser that will be used on your skin.

by Hate myselfreply 211/24/2012

Chris Pine has acne scars?

by Hate myselfreply 311/24/2012

A friend of mine has them and they are deeply embarrassing for them. I've seen pictures of him in college and he was genuinely repulsive back then--he had giant cystic acne on his skin.

by Hate myselfreply 411/24/2012

try tetrocyclin acne is caused by bacteria.

by Hate myselfreply 511/24/2012

The Fraser laser works well.

by Hate myselfreply 611/24/2012

If you have a long weekend, try a 15% TCA solution. Your skin tone will even out and the scars will become less apparent. You apply the solution for 5 minutes and then moisturize and wait to peel. After a couple of days, you use a fine granular solution with a little water to remove the rest of the peeled skin. Works for me. And my scars were an embarrassment my whole life. Also, it works for all races and skin types. If you want faster results you can go up to a 30% solution but that takes about a week. Fraxel lasers help too.

by Hate myselfreply 711/24/2012

OP, if you are fairly good-looking to begin with, acne scars can be very sexy. Ray Liotta, Tommy Lee Jones. Richard Burton. "What are you looking at, punk?"

by Hate myselfreply 811/24/2012

I have to get rid of them. Nobody wants to date me (my first boyfriend in the city called me out on them all the time) and my parents are not very nice about them either (I waited a couple of months after they started pressuring me to go to the dermatologist, so they think I brought them on myself).

I want to be able to see my reflection without my heart sinking.

So any specific advice is very appreciated.

by Hate myselfreply 911/24/2012

[quote]So any specific advice is very appreciated.

You were given very specific advice above.

by Hate myselfreply 1011/24/2012

Go to consultations with dermatologists until you get an answer you want. I think www.realself.com might have some good information. The women at Essential DaySpa Forum are INCREDIBLY learned when it comes to all things skin, so post there or ask them what they suggest. ww.essentialdayspa.com/forum/

Skin is so important to career. I read an article that when you're interviewing, if you have weird scars or skin problems the interviewee notices remember much less about you versus those with better skin. Some university conducted this study.

by Hate myselfreply 1111/24/2012

Google TCA cross for deep acne scarring. Dermabrasion worked for my shallow scars.

by Hate myselfreply 1211/24/2012

I used Aveda tourmaline scrub and it diminished my scarring. I am going for an acid peel next but the aveda product was very good.

by Hate myselfreply 1311/24/2012

I have had two Fraxel treatements and am getting my third in a week; the results have been extremely noticeable. I had a shallow pit of large diameter on the side of my cheek, and it is completely gone. Other scarring is gone or the depth of the scar has been diminished. I am hoping for greater results on my forehead after the third treatment, but my cheeks look amazing. The full results don't come until a year after treatment.

by Hate myselfreply 1411/24/2012

I have had three fraxel treatments, and my skin is so much better. My dark scars have lightened, and the couple of pit marks that I had are almost all of the way healed. My Dr told me that I would have better results from the laser than TCA peels, but you can buy the peels online for less money than the fraxel. I also started on spironalactone medication so that I don't get new breakouts and scarring. All of this and the clarisonic for cleansing have completely changed my skin.

by Hate myselfreply 1511/24/2012

You are correct, R10. The OP is just an attention seeker.

by Hate myselfreply 1611/24/2012

I buy the TCA solutions on Amazon for fifteen bucks. I'm doing one tonight because I don't have to go back to work till Weds and I have friends coming in for the Holidays next month. I start with Ahava softening butter salt scrub and rinse that off. Then I put on a good layer of 15% TCA solution for five minutes. You're supposed to get a "frost" (the skin drying) and then immediately rinse it off, but I never get a frost. You can do another layer of TCA solution for 5 minutes but I just do the one. Then I put on a layer of CVS deep moisturizing cream and the strongest sunscreen I can find. I will look noticeably better by the end of the week. When I can afford it, I'm doing the fraxel. The funny thing is, even though I suffered my whole life with acne scarring, I really have nice skin, on the rest of my body and even on the parts of my face that aren't scarred. I suspect a lot of people with acne are like this. I never had any problem getting laid. A decent build gets you a lot.

by Hate myselfreply 1711/24/2012

The OP is probably a lot better looking than he thinks.

by Hate myselfreply 1811/24/2012

[quote]A decent build gets you a lot.

Truer words never spoken.

If only every gay man would take them to heart.

by Hate myselfreply 1911/24/2012

I had an outbreak of cystic acne on my chest and back in my early 30s. I ended up going on accutane to stop the outbreaks. That stuff was really rough. I had to have liver tests every two weeks for 6 months. Afterwards I ended up having the scars hit with a v beam laser. The end result was the scars shrunk and turned less red so they weren't as obvious. My new dermatologist tells me the v beam was unnecessary and cortisone shots would have worked as well.

This works for raised bumps and scars. It doesn't work for pock marks found on some guys faces.

by Hate myselfreply 2011/24/2012

I've also had fractional laser by a cosmetic nurse at a dermatologist's office.

It is a godsend. You get zapped once a month for several months. A couple years ago it was 100 dollars a treatment, now it is like 150.

At first your face will be swollen and red and then when the swelling goes down, at first it will look like you had no results and then over time your skin improves. After several treatments your superficial scars will be gone and your deeper ones will be much less deep.

You have to wear sunscreen every time you go outside because sun burn can undo the treatments.

It has improved my self esteem tremendously.

by Hate myselfreply 2111/24/2012

[quote]There ar many different lasers out there.

And roller scates too.

by Hate myselfreply 2211/24/2012

OP, if you truly hate yourself because of this (or any other reason) you need a therapist more than anything.

by Hate myselfreply 2311/24/2012

R1 -- there's a (gay) appraiser on Antiques Roadshow who has serious skin issues along those lines, and I find him VERY hot!

by Hate myselfreply 2411/24/2012
Need more help? Click Here.