Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are the Welsh the "hillbillies" of the United Kingdom?

The Brits seem to speak poorly of them.

by Anonymousreply 6112/06/2012

NO...what an improper comment. Just think before you wonder loudly Op.

by Anonymousreply 111/24/2012

No, the English are the hillbillies of the U.K., OP.

by Anonymousreply 211/24/2012

How quickly we forget the Scots

by Anonymousreply 311/24/2012

" Welsh fuck!" That seems to be an insult that Brits throw around a lot. Maybe Wales is the Atlanta of the Isles?

by Anonymousreply 411/24/2012

Wales is probably the most rural of the four countries.

by Anonymousreply 511/24/2012

The Welsh are stereotyped as dumb, inbred sheepfuckers.

by Anonymousreply 611/24/2012

To address the OP's question: Not at all. The country is largely rural, but many Welsh are softly spoken, thoughtful and well educated. I don't really think there's a British equivalent of Hillbillies. We have plenty of trash, just not of that particular ilk.

by Anonymousreply 711/24/2012

No, it's the Irish.

The Irish are the hillbillies.

The Austalians are the rednecks (okay, not technically part of the UK, but they do worship the same queen).

The Scots are the inbred northeasterners.

The Welsh are the flyover states.

by Anonymousreply 811/24/2012

Don't care, OP, ALL Welsh men have HUGE THICK DICKS!

by Anonymousreply 911/24/2012

The Welsh do, however, communicate by spitting. That's their native language, so "hillbillies" have +1 there.

by Anonymousreply 1011/24/2012

John Barrowman is said to live in Wales. That makes Wales the Beverly Hills of the UK in my estimation.

by Anonymousreply 1111/24/2012

Barrowman is Scottish and you knowwhat they say about them....

by Anonymousreply 1211/24/2012

Anti-Welsh racism is such a problem

by Anonymousreply 1411/24/2012

No. But please don't mention the Cornish!

by Anonymousreply 1511/24/2012

So in general, who are more well-endowed? The Scots or the Welsh? I still have pleasant memories of sucking off a thick, veiny, uncut Scotsman a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 1611/24/2012

Other than the Irish, the hillbillies of England are the Midlanders. They really get mocked a lot for being loutish and poor.

by Anonymousreply 1711/24/2012

Only N Ireland is in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 1811/24/2012

I think they're tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 1911/24/2012

It's the Cornish. The way I've heard a couple of British acquaintances discuss them reminds me of the way we regard Appalachia. Think Straw Dogs.

by Anonymousreply 2011/24/2012

Big Fun people!

by Anonymousreply 2111/24/2012

Sigh. I didn't inherit any big Welsh dick. I also didn't get any blue eyes. :(

by Anonymousreply 2311/24/2012

Welsh? Gay, gay, gay!

by Anonymousreply 2411/24/2012

Why is their nation called Cumrag?

by Anonymousreply 2511/25/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2611/25/2012

Their was a movie about gay Welsh twins that made it seems so, but it was a very bad movie.

by Anonymousreply 2711/25/2012

Here's Ebert's review of Twin Town

by Anonymousreply 2811/25/2012

Fuck you, R25.

by Anonymousreply 2911/25/2012

[quote]I don't really think there's a British equivalent of Hillbillies. We have plenty of trash, just not of that particular ilk.

R7, Daisy, Onslow and Rose could out-hillbilly most in the U.S.

R20, having grown up in Southern Illinois and having spent some time researching a book in deepest Appalachia, I don't equate Appalachia with hillbillies. Southern Illinois, Southern Indiana and Southern Missouri are infested with some of the most backward people I've ever met. To me, those are true hillbillies, especially the men.

by Anonymousreply 3111/25/2012

A question, though, for you Brits: I have a friend in London who despises the Welsh with an almost incomprehensible fervor. I can't quite fathom it. Any idea why? ANd is this commonplace or is he just carrying some personal grudge? I'd love to figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 3211/25/2012

R25, in Welsh, the country is called [italic]Cymru[/italic] (cum-ree), the people [italic]Cymry[/italic], and the language [italic]Cymraeg[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 3311/25/2012

So the language is called cumrag.

by Anonymousreply 3411/25/2012

Kingsly Amis wrote a novel (the Old Devils?) which included an I-hate-Wales club. You could only join if you were Welsh.

by Anonymousreply 3611/25/2012

The Welsh have some serious problems.

Last year they had a referendum to give the Welsh Government more powers - only a third of people bothered to vote, and those who bothered voted yes. There's talk now of giving the Welsh Government tax powers which would put them at odds with the English/Westminster government.

Unlike the Scottish who have their own identity and have a reasonably healthy rivalry between Labour and the nationalists, Wales have been run by Labour since the Assembley was created in the late 1990s, and there is no chance in a generation of anyone but Labour, possibly with the nationalists/Lib Dems to prop them up.

The problem is that the bright thinkers, the movers and shakers go to Westminster, where the power lies, and the servants to the party get voted in to the Assembley. The calibre of politican is utterly appalling, and the achievements of the Welsh Goverment have been negligable. They've put themselves at odds with the Blair/Brown governments and Labour are out of power in Westminster, a vote for Labour in Wales is still seen a protest vote.

And don't get me started on the Welsh language. There's a consultation ongoing about how Welsh should be used in the NHS. Wales can't recruit doctors as it is, and rely on a huge amount of foreign doctors (Commonwealth countries and India in particular) and NHS budgets are being cut. The idea that the NHS and other public bodies will be fined for not hiring Welsh speaking staff is utterly ridiculous and will be a huge burden on the public sector.

But the Welsh Government will blame this on the Tories, blaming it on budget cuts made in Westminster.

And the stupid fucking Welsh don't get this and will vote them back in.

And I'm a Welsh Labour voter.

by Anonymousreply 3711/25/2012

But do you have a big thick cock, r37?

by Anonymousreply 3811/25/2012

The whole world is nothing but hillbillies, OP. The only way it wouldn't be is if everyone but me got wiped out.

by Anonymousreply 3911/25/2012

[quote] I don't equate Appalachia with hillbillies. Southern Illinois, Southern Indiana and Southern Missouri are infested with some of the most backward people I've ever met. To me, those are true hillbillies, especially the men.

I went to school at IU in Bloomington a (from CA originally) and I was shocked that there were so many "hillbillies." I assumed that they were furhter south. I found out that there was a large Appalachian migration which placed them in the areas you mention. Some went further north or west for jobs in industry and even formed their own little communities. Chicago had an area that was quite Appalachian around Lawrence and Wilson Avenues and Broadway.

Appalachians largely come from Scottish/Irish stock. Their clannishness and the so called "culture of honor" in the South and Appalachia has been attributed to their ethnic heritage.

by Anonymousreply 4211/25/2012

by Anonymousreply 4311/26/2012

The Irish are Poles of the UK. Irish jokes in England are like Polish jokes in the US.

by Anonymousreply 4411/26/2012

I suck my sheep dry every fortnight!

by Anonymousreply 4511/26/2012

I think Wales looks very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 4611/26/2012

I'm a midget that lives in an asshole!

by Anonymousreply 4811/26/2012

Welsh accents on expats are so sexy. I knew a family from Wales growing up and while they were unintelligible at first, their accents lightened up and just became rich and gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 4911/26/2012

I liked Ruby, the Welsh scullery maid on the original UPSTAIRS, DOWNSTAIRS.

There was a sublime moment where she passed dismissive judgment on two men who called at the service entrance downstairs. To the astonishment of her English and Scottish co-workers, Ruby laid the men low with the contemptuous air of a seasoned Londoner as she declared, "they're Welsh!"

by Anonymousreply 5011/26/2012

r47 is just angry that they're black and has it in for all Americans.

by Anonymousreply 5111/26/2012

[quote] That makes Wales the Beverly Hills of the UK in my estimation.

So The Welsh are like the Beverly Hillbillies?

by Anonymousreply 5211/26/2012

I had a date with a Welsh girl once, she shows up stinking to high heaven, unbelievable b.o. how the hell no one from her house to the restaurant cared enough to tell her... I pretended to get an important call, then said I had an emergency and had to leave.

by Anonymousreply 5311/26/2012

They are right to vote Labour. What the hell, we have English freepers here!

by Anonymousreply 5411/26/2012

The English speak poorly of the Welsh? That's pretty rich given that their queen is a direct descendant of the Welsh king of England, Henry VII (via his daughter Margaret and the Stuart successiong; not via his son Henry VIII).

by Anonymousreply 5511/26/2012

R55, one ancestor, hundreds of years ago? Pah-leez.

by Anonymousreply 5611/27/2012

Henry VII's being Welsh on his father's side is an oddball fact in keeping with his not being a legitimate heir to the throne on his mother's side, even though he was the last of his line. His mother was a Beaufort, the originally bastard branch of the House of Lancaster who were made legitimate in all but royal rights.

Henry's children had a more legitimate claim to the throne through their mother, Elizabeth of York, daughter of Edward IV, than they did through the king.

by Anonymousreply 5711/27/2012

Who the fuck cares?

by Anonymousreply 5811/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 5911/27/2012

"they're" black, r51? Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 6011/28/2012

by Anonymousreply 6112/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!