Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hugh Grant

Is he set for a comeback? As a character actor, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 1910/11/2014

I think he works when he wants to. He was never that into acting and admits he lucked into it and, like Robert Mitchum, doesn't take it too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 111/24/2012

Legend status, after he initiated the Rebekkkah Brooks/Murdoch takedown. Major respect to this man. Put him in the Thin Man, not Depp.

by Anonymousreply 211/24/2012

I hope not. I can't stand him.

by Anonymousreply 311/24/2012

He's one of those actors who gets lots of shit here on DL but, like Aniston, he seems fairly harmless.

I liked his comments about childrearing and overly coddled, entitled brats.

by Anonymousreply 411/24/2012

He's thanking whatever demons he prays to for the phone-tapping scandal.

by Anonymousreply 511/24/2012

Hugh just did an AMA on Reddit.

by Anonymousreply 610/10/2014

I really like him even when he's in crappy movies.

by Anonymousreply 710/10/2014

I love Hugh. Not in the I "wanna shag him" sense but he's likable to me.

by Anonymousreply 810/10/2014

here he is, being funny

by Anonymousreply 910/10/2014

Grant has a great sense of humor about himself, doesn't take anything seriously. Said in his reddit AMA that if he wasn't an actor, he'd be in advertising because he's completely unprincipled.

by Anonymousreply 1010/10/2014

hate him, always plays the same role, so sick of it and he's too old to play that already.

by Anonymousreply 1110/10/2014

Actually, R11, he can do more than play the same role over and over. No, he can play TWO roles over and over!

He can play slightly awkward romantic heroes, and he can play cads. He's really good at playing cads and douches, which is why I hope he continues to take character roles.

by Anonymousreply 1210/11/2014

He's a hilariously funny pervert. He is a lot like Mick Jagger: fantastic conversationist. Very interested in politics. Lives like a true Virgo even if he's not one. If you get him in the right mood, he'll say anything about anybody. His jabs at Liz Hurley are brilliant and dead-on. Love Hugh and, like Mick, he's well read and intelligent about many subjects. Bizarrely, he and Mick seem like excellent fathers, just not guys a gal or guy would marry.

by Anonymousreply 1310/11/2014

He's like many of the actors who appeared on talk shows in the 70s and 80s. They were intelligent and could carry on a conversation on a variety of topics.

by Anonymousreply 1410/11/2014

According to the Daily Mail, Meryl Streep is in negotiations to star in a film about an opera singer who couldn’t hit a note. American-born Florence Foster Jenkins had legions of fans who filled her concerts, but it was never clear whether they genuinely enjoyed her piercing screeches — or were just going along for a laugh. Streep, who can carry a tune, has been talking to director Stephen Frears about making the movie about the lady with the variable tempo and less than perfect pitch. Maureen Lipman appeared in a play several years ago about Jenkins called Glorious, and there was a line in it about what the great Caruso said when he heard her sing. ‘I’ve never heard anything like it!’ he apparently told her, though she took it as a compliment. Hugh Grant is also in talks to play Jenkins’s manager, who may well have been more to her than that. Frears works well with women. Look at The Queen with Helen Mirren, or the movies he’s made with Judi Dench (the recent Philomena is a particular stand-out). His work is being celebrated during the BFI London Film Festival, when he will be awarded a BFI Fellowship.

by Anonymousreply 1510/11/2014

A movie about FFJ with Hugh Grant as the comic foil? I am SO THERE!

by Anonymousreply 1610/11/2014

How can he really be a character actor when he can only play 2 characters? (adorable bumbling fop and womanizing cad)

by Anonymousreply 1710/11/2014

When has Hugh Grant not been a 'character actor" He's never been a typical leading man.

by Anonymousreply 1810/11/2014

A real character actor is someone like Steve Buscemi.

by Anonymousreply 1910/11/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!