Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lawmaker to push bill allowing guns at work

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - An Alabama lawmaker is again pushing legislation that would let employees take handguns to work.

The Montgomery Advertiser reported Friday that state Sen. Roger Bedford, D-Russellville, said the bill is aimed at increasing personal safety.

"I think it's necessary so people will have peace of mind when they're traveling to and from work," he said.

A similar bill has been introduced twice before, but it failed despite support from the National Rifle Association.

The Business Council of Alabama opposes the measure, said President Bill Canary.

"At a time when the business community in all sectors should be focused on creating jobs, we instead are dealing with this unnecessary legislation which erodes the constitutional property rights of businesses," Canary said in a statement. "Alabama businesses are already struggling with burdensome regulations that impact productivity and increase costs."

The bill would prevent most employers from barring workers from transporting and storing firearms at work. Employees who bring weapons to work would be required to keep their guns locked up and out of sight.

Bedford said the law would not apply to school campuses, and weapons wouldn't be allowed anywhere they are already barred by federal law.

The lawmaker said he does not expect any dangers to arise in the workplace if the proposed legislation is signed into law.

"If someone's that crazy, hopefully the sheriff didn't give a pistol permit in the first place," he said.

by Anonymousreply 1611/26/2012

And this bill is from a Democrat? Alabama is fucked. Now excuse why I run off to share this with my partner who is from AL and detests it.

by Anonymousreply 111/24/2012

Well, sure. Why the hell not?

by Anonymousreply 211/24/2012

Great idea! What could possibly go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 311/24/2012

Let's start with congress.

by Anonymousreply 411/24/2012

Can Alabama just secede already?

by Anonymousreply 511/24/2012

Everyone from Alabama detests it, r1.

by Anonymousreply 611/24/2012

I was in Alabama once for work - I couldn't believe my eyes when a sign in the company lobby said to please leave your guns in your car.

Unreal. That state is scary as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 711/24/2012

I see no potential problems here.

Next, we can allow high school students to take their guns to school. Surely the little moppets need the peace of mind that comes being well-armed, too.

by Anonymousreply 811/24/2012

"Next, we can allow high school students to take their guns to school"

I think toddlers should be allowed to take guns to preschool and daycare.

They need to defend themselves!

by Anonymousreply 911/24/2012

glocks for fetuses

by Anonymousreply 1011/24/2012

How are we going to defend ourselves when the next hurricane hits?

by Anonymousreply 1111/24/2012

I thought this was already legal in most of the USA.

by Anonymousreply 1211/24/2012

ZERO STUDENTS OPT FOR UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO’S GUN DORM

Probably could/should be its own thread, but I am cheap so oh well.

by Anonymousreply 1311/26/2012

A GUN DORM?! What the hell?!

by Anonymousreply 1411/26/2012

As a resident of a liberal blue state, I say, "go for it, Alabama!!"

The less of them, the better.

by Anonymousreply 1511/26/2012

[quote]"I think it's necessary so people will have peace of mind when they're traveling to and from work," he said.

You know what gives you peace of mind when traveling to and from work? Meditate for twenty minutes before heading out in the morning. Drink a cup of herbal tea while reading the paper. Say some positive affirmations to yourself while you're getting dressed. Listen to classical music or NPR on the car radio. Those things give you peace of mind.

You know what makes everyone around you stressed and afraid for their lives? When the craziest guy in the office brings his gun to work. That takes away everyone else's peace of mind.

If you feel so paranoid and insecure that you need to have your gun on you at all times, that's a sign that you should probably have a psychiatric evaluation. Or you're in a gang. Or you're engaged in some multi-generational Hatfields & McCoys blood feud. In any event, whatever it is is a personal problem and it doesn't give you the right to endanger and intimidate everyone around you.

by Anonymousreply 1611/26/2012
Need more help? Click Here.