Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Q**mia--anyone trying this to lose weight?

My insurer won't pay for bariatric surgery as of 2013; my primary care suggested Q**mia. Is anyone using this new drug?

by Fatty McFattersonreply 2411/30/2012

One of my friends is. He had to jump through a lot of hoops to get it because it's new and most insurers don't have it in their formularies. He also had to wait several weeks to get it delivered from a pharmacy across the country because the local CVS/Rite-Aid/Walgreen type stores don't stock it yet. So far he reports that it really kills his appetite.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 111/24/2012

Q**mia isn't a new drug per se -- it's a combination of Adipex (phentermine) and Topamax (topiramate).

by Fatty McFattersonreply 411/24/2012

Holy moly, why would anyone take Topamax who doesn't have to (because of a withering headache)?

2 ounces of almonds or walnuts kills my appetite for hours.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 511/24/2012

That's not always possible for people with other health conditions, r3.

Women often gain weight regardless after 40 due to hormone issues, for example.

I am in an odd catch-22 in that I need to lose 50lbs, but I have health issues that make it difficult to exercise, physically and mentally.

I am prone to bad eating habits, but not to the degree all the harping queens on here insist must be the case.

Not everyone who is struggling with his/her weight is a crap gorging warthog.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 611/24/2012

Topamax is called the supermodel drugs; it makes you skinny and stupid. My ex took it for a while (not to lose weight) and stopped taking it because of the side effects. He started having trouble with simple math which made his finance job kind of difficult. I also noticed pretty immediately that all of his emails were suddenly riddled with weird spelling mistakes - mostly transposed letters, but I also remember him actually spelling "Topamax" "Tokamaks". It largely surpresses appetite by making most things taste disgusting. Apparently, carbonated beverages all taste really unpleasant on the stuff.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 711/24/2012

Pills isn't going to help one lose weight long run. I don't know why people waste their time with that kind of bullshit.

Cutting out the starches, pastas, breads, etc is the first step. Once you cut that out see if you are still gaining weight. Your appetite will be impacted b/c it's the junk that leads the brain to crave more food.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 811/24/2012

Move to Ethiopia.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 911/24/2012

I call bullshit r6. While you may not be able to exercise, which is understandable, there's not a medical condition in the world that can't be helped by a proper diet. Stop eating the shit you eat, and you'll see some improvement.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 1111/24/2012

seiously why don't people just use laxatives and puke like I do? I have a lollipop head..sure my bones break in the wind and my teeth are gone but dammit i am skinny.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 1211/24/2012

[quote]pills isn't

Oh, dear.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 1311/24/2012

I didn't cut out anything at home, just ate smaller portions. I did cut out fast food places and drive-thrus. It resulted in a loss of 10 lbs. a month until I got back to my high school weight. I still enjoy the food I always enjoyed, just in smaller portions. I've never had hunger pangs because, unlike most Americans who stuff themselves with food for two or three people, I'm simply eating for one.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 1411/24/2012

Try metformin. Its for diabetics.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 1511/24/2012

Topamax made me feel like my brain and my words were disconnected, I also felt emotionally blunted and had vivid nightmares. My MD gave it to me because I have bipolar tendencies and it is used off-label for mild mood disorders, plus I get the occasional migraine so we both thought it was win-win. I don't think I was on it long enough to feel and appetite suppression, but I remember taking a sip of diet soda and it tasting flat and almost salty instead of the fake sweet taste.

Wellbutrin is probably a better weight loss agent, it feels like speed.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 1611/24/2012

You do not need an OPERATION to lose weight. What utter hogwash that we all get stuck paying for.

I gained a lot of weight starting around 45. I ballooned to 188.6 - I am a five foot tall female who had been a tiny size 2 all my life til then. Yikes! I became Jabba the Hut in my eyes and it was all I could do to find business jackets and black skirts so I could look presentable for work. I didn't even want to socialize at that point.

That was about and an 82 lb gain.

A few years after being at that weight I started Weight Watchers on a May 1 and by that November I had lost 35 lbs. I did not exercise or stop driving everywhere instead of walking. I even ate the extra points WW allowed. It was a steady and slow weight loss but it totally changed my eating habits and made a huge difference in my appearance and my body and health. It also gave me the confidence to know I could do this.

I took a few months break and then started back at it. I think I may have gained a few pounds back. This time I was better able to exercise and I started a daily exercise routine with an old video I found in my home and I started walking rather than driving everywhere. I also cut out the extra WW gpoints.

The exercising I did without fail for 50 mins every day. If anyone tried to interfere I was ready to cut them down. I was ruthless. I just used small free weights as shown in the video and worked my way up to heavier ones. Within about 3 months my once hanging stomach was flat and my arms and legs were toned. I also began to lose weight at a faster rate.

I eventually reached 110 and was in better shape than ever. It cost me nothing - no gyms, no personal trainer, no fucking drugs, no operation.

There are always excuses. But that's all they are. Even if you are a paraplegic you can taper down your food portions and eat less fattening and more filling foods and you will lose. There are also exercises you can do sitting down.

Stop looking for something outside yourself to lose weight. It begins in you and it ends in you. You have either reached the point where you are determined to lose or you haven't. It took me a while to get to WW and once I did I couldn't believe that I had hesitated for so long.

Just do it!

by Fatty McFattersonreply 1711/24/2012

I guess I'll wait until the FDA approves VitaMeataVegemin.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 1811/25/2012

Oh, diet does help with diseases of all kinds, as does exercise. But these things do NOT necessarily give you a decent figure, depending on what else is going on. If obese, a way you can help your body go to a "set-point" weight, though, is to eat something every 2.5-3 hours: 3 smaller meals and 3 small snacks (small snack= 1oz protein OR 0.5oz nuts+ 3oz fruit or vegetables). Water. And yeah, no sugar, flour or starch. Hard to do, but can be done.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 1911/25/2012

My doctor asked me if I was interested in bariatric surgery, but I declined. Sounds like it's awfully risky. I don't think I'd try Q**mia until it's been in use for a while-- a lot of these diet pills seem to end up being dangerous after they're more widely used (remember Phen-Fen?)I need to lose quite a bit, but I'm going to try to do it the way I usually do-- Lean Cuisine, yogurt, fruits and vegetables, etc.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 2011/25/2012

R20, I'd read very carefully about Topamax before you agree to take this medication. My niece was on it for seizure activity for awhile. She was in school and bright. It took her 3 times as long to do her homework and she had a lot of difficulty keeping up her grades. Things I have read discussed how it really can affect your short-term memory. Everything I've read about Topamax has been negative.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 2111/25/2012

I am actually on it and once you get past the stupid I have seen great results. I have been able to get past the emotional eating which is what I mainly have. I amnot sure whay all these people are on this thread making comments the thread is regarding q**mia. If they are not here to comment about it why are they commenting at all? It's rude and unhelpful and the monitors of the site need to keep better tabs on it to flag and remove unhelpful and rude commnetors.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 2211/30/2012

OP, you may lose weight by taking this drug. But what are you going to do when you stop taking it and the hunger comes back (and it will). These drugs are nothing but fake willpower. Do it on your own or don't do it at all.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 2311/30/2012

On a more superficial level, Topamax causes hair loss.

by Fatty McFattersonreply 2411/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!