Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is this the warmest state with marriage equality? What's the weather like? Are certain parts of the state more gay-friendly than others?

I want to know more about Maryland!

by Anonymousreply 5711/28/2012

Suburban DC has some nice neighborhoods. I lived on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (across the Chesapeake Bay from the main part of Maryland) in the charming waterfront town of St Michaels (sometimes jokingly referred to as the "Hamptons of DC") and although it was a beautiful area it was populated by ignorant, bigoted rednecks who were very unwelcoming to outsiders. It can be very cold in the winter with lots of snow.

by Anonymousreply 111/24/2012

Great place to live. Just stay around the DC metro.

Western Maryland, which borders West Virginia, is only good for camping.

As R1 pointed out, weekends only in Eastern Maryland.

by Anonymousreply 211/24/2012

What about Baltimore or Annapolis?

by Anonymousreply 311/24/2012

I lived in Baltimore for 9 years, and then is when the economy was relatively ok (I left i 2005). If you like the thrill of not knowing if you car will be broken into (spoiler alert-it will), dining in Little Italy which is directly across from the ghetto (not to be confused with the other ghettos in 90% in the city), and being lucky enough to become a millionaire and living in Roland Park yet still living near gunshot alley, it is for you! PS I did the gay bar scene there as well, there is nothing like closeted rednecks to really get you in the mood.

Annapolis on the other hand is great.

by Anonymousreply 411/24/2012

R4 what did you like about Annapolis?

by Anonymousreply 611/24/2012

How bad could a State be that inspired John Waters and his movies?

by Anonymousreply 711/24/2012

I have lived in Annapolis and Bethesda. Annapolis years ago had charm, now it has multimillion dollar condos. Baltimore is a working class town where they put strange shit in your burgers. DC is one of the best places to live hear but expensive, crowed etc. I would not be able to live anywhere these days. Eastern Shore is dull and isolated, occupied by the old dying neocons

by Anonymousreply 811/24/2012

R4 here. I like the waterfront area of Annapolis, and I think there is a great mix of large companies combined with mom and pop stores. The people are friendly but are far more educated than you would find in Baltimore. Of course, it is a lot more expensive to be there. Like any city there are some bad parts, but it is not like Baltimore where all the neighborhoods are mixed together in walking distance so nowhere is truly a safe neighborhood. For what it's worth, I considered moving there.

by Anonymousreply 911/24/2012

Two words: The Wire.

by Anonymousreply 1011/24/2012

...the only reason to risk living in Baltimore is the chance sighting of HOT HOT HOT Governor Martin O'Malley.

by Anonymousreply 1111/24/2012

I was raised in MD but left at 18.

R11, yeah, he's not bad, not bad at all! (O'Malley in the middle in the linked pic below.)

by Anonymousreply 1211/24/2012

My parents live in Maryland and I spent a couple of years staying with them.

It's probably one of the most culturally and geographically diverse states in the US. You have the richest of the rich whites and blacks, and the poorest of the poor whites and blacks. There are scary urban areas, quaint suburbs, rustic farms, and tacky beach houses. The people are generally friendlier than other parts of the DMV area; however, there's a real concern about the crime in Prince George's and Baltimore.

I currently live in Virginia, but if marriage ever became a real possibility for me, I'd move to Maryland before DC.

Um, and the Governor is HOOOOOOT!

by Anonymousreply 1311/24/2012

I would think that WA would be the warmest state with marriage equality

by Anonymousreply 1411/24/2012

I think R14 is right. Maryland gets cold like any other place in the north. Actually, during Hurricane Sandy some of the higher elevations got snowfall.

by Anonymousreply 1511/24/2012

In central and southern Maryland most winters tend to be rather mild. It's western Maryland that usually gets most of the snow.

by Anonymousreply 1611/24/2012

Ocean City has an average January high of 46.7 degrees, and low of 27.3 degrees.

by Anonymousreply 1711/25/2012

Seattle is just as warm as anyplace in Maryland with an average January high of 45.41 but a low of 35.81 meaning it doesn't frost every night.

by Anonymousreply 1811/25/2012

DC is nasty. The rudest place I've ever lived. The rents are overblown, the crime is just a bit better than Detroit and the people are UGLY.

Not ugly, ugly, not even Michael Phelps, not even Darren Haye's husband ugly, not even that girl who played Blossom ugly. They are WORSE...

by Anonymousreply 1911/25/2012

How gays can not love MARY-land?

by Anonymousreply 2011/25/2012

Johnathon Schaech is from Edgewood, Harford County.

by Anonymousreply 2111/25/2012

Washington is off the table. There is no sun and I have SAD. I wouldn't last 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 2211/25/2012

Utopia in Maryland.

by Anonymousreply 2311/26/2012

The craziness of Columbia, MD

"I could take your kid and slice him up"

by Anonymousreply 2411/26/2012

Bethesda is probably the best place to live in MD, but, major BUT, its a very typical hyper-competitive North Eastern wealthy bedroom community. Meaning you will see a lot of stroller in your local Starbucks with a lot of bored jappy housewives in Lulu lemon regalia vying for space to sip their Cafe Macchiato and plenty of Audi's and Volvo's with Obama stickers on them. However it is a really nice suburb with all the amenities of a larger city.

by Anonymousreply 2511/26/2012

If your view of Baltimore is only based on The Wire, stay away.

Love the western side of the state... Frederick is a lovely town with a fun nightlife.

by Anonymousreply 2611/26/2012

[quote] Washington is off the table. There is no sun and I have SAD. I wouldn't last 6 months.

Plenty of sun in WA. Just avoid Seattle and nearby environs.

by Anonymousreply 2711/26/2012

R27, isn't the rest of the state a redneck shithole?

by Anonymousreply 2811/26/2012

Maryland has a great state flag, maybe the best.

by Anonymousreply 2911/26/2012

R26, isn't western MD basically West Virginia? (WV being another redneck shithole.)

by Anonymousreply 3011/26/2012

I agree with Bethesda and Frederick. Both nice places to live.

And you will get sun...lots of hot days in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 3111/26/2012

We call Frederick "fREDNECK," for a reason.

Lots of other great places to live in MD.

by Anonymousreply 3211/26/2012

Agree with R1 about the Eastern Shore of MD. Grew up in St. Michaels, went to college and got the f out of there. Very conservative area with small pockets of open-minded people. Too many rednecks. Too many yacht club members who think they are the high-class shit. Too many people who the the Crab Claw is fine dining. Too many people who think Ocean City is a resort. Ugh...

by Anonymousreply 3311/26/2012

You've asked the right person, OP, as I was born and raised in Maryland, and I currently reside here.

We have four seasons--it's cold in the winter, hot in the summer, chilly in fall and nice in spring. Baltimore has its own gay mecca (Mt. Vernon), which I sometimes call the San Francisco of Baltimore. We just passed the law to legalize gay marriage here, so there's that. We never get really hit by mother nature like our friends to the north (New York) and the south (Florida).

Depending on which part of MD you're in, it's just a stone's throw away from DC. We have some of the richest counties in the country. We also have the Orioles and Camden Yards, and the Ravens and M&T Bank Stadium, the Inner Harbor and great seafood.

Some notables who hail from Maryland are Cal Ripken Jr., Linda Hamilton, John Waters, David Hasslehoff, Jada Pinkett Smith and Mike Rowe. We've had a few TV shows filmed here in Baltimore (including Homicide: Life on the Street, Kevin Spacey's House of Cards and The Wire), and several movies have been filmed here, including the original Hairspray and The Blair Witch Project.

There's amusement parks (Six Flags and nearby Kings Dominion and Bush Gardens), churches, parks, beaches (Sandy Point, and Ocean City is great), gambling (if that's your thing) in Hanover, MD, the Preakness, Johns Hopkins, the Naval Academy in Annapolis (which is always good for cute guy-watching), and Martin O'Malley is our very hot governor (and former Baltimore mayor).

by Anonymousreply 3411/26/2012

Also forgot that Edward Norton, whose grandfather developed Columbia, MD, is from here as well, OP. Speaking of Columbia, it's another great place to shop, see a movie and dine. It's also gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 3511/26/2012

Fredneck is actually a nice little city with some great restaurants. Really charming with a lot of DC and Baltimore commuters looking for a quieter life. Did I mention Maryland has the best state flag ever?

by Anonymousreply 3611/26/2012

All of Maryland is Verizon, except for one town. Locally-owned Armstrong Telephone serves Rising Sun.

by Anonymousreply 3711/27/2012

[quote]Did I mention Maryland has the best state flag ever?

It looks like a racing flag

by Anonymousreply 3811/27/2012

Babs Johnson, her son Crackers, and Miss Cotton all fled Ball'mer because they hated it.

by Anonymousreply 3911/27/2012

Where did they go after Boise?

by Anonymousreply 4011/27/2012

I like the Maryland motto: "Fatti maschii, parole femine" (manly deeds, womanly words).

by Anonymousreply 4111/27/2012

Moved to Maryland last year. Lived up in the northern suburbs of Baltimore and hated it. I had gotten used to living in big cities and missed urban life.

Moved to Baltimore this year, to Mount Vernon specifically (as it is the gayborhood) but also because everything related to the arts is nearby, and we don't get that many tourists from downtown and the Harbor. Baltimore has a lot going on, I was actually quite surprised, for a city of 600K.

You still need a car here to get anywhere. And city living is not cheap (but cheaper than DC).

by Anonymousreply 4211/27/2012

[quote]You still need a car here to get anywhere.

Not so. I'm a native Baltimorean, and you can get pretty much anywhere by cab, light rail or bus.

by Anonymousreply 4311/27/2012

If you live in Annapolis you better be able to hold your liquor- those folks can DRINK!

Nap town was nice but now is just strip mall after strip mall. Waterfront is full of tacky tourist shops & restaurants. Locals avoid the dock area - ESP on weekends.

Now the Eastport neighborhood is adorable!

by Anonymousreply 4411/27/2012

I hate Annapolis all the white people aspire to look and dress exactly a like. The women all have bleach blond bobs and sun damaged skin. The men, well, the wardrobe consists of khakis and boat shoes. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 4511/27/2012

[quote]Not so. I'm a native Baltimorean, and you can get pretty much anywhere by cab, light rail or bus.

True - but in my experience from the time I've had to wait for the bus, I could have driven to my destination... the light rail is great if you are going to the airport, but how is taking a cab any different from driving somewhere on your own???

by Anonymousreply 4611/27/2012

Buses are funny. Sometimes they run on time, and other times they don't. I know people who've never owned a car, but get everywhere they need to go from downtown to BWI via bus/light rail.

by Anonymousreply 4711/27/2012

Grew up in Columbia, MD and must admit that being gay was hard and depressing. Of course, that was was in the mid-80's through mid-90's which arguably was much harder than today.

Have resided in DC for the past 20 years and am amazed at my life in hindsight. Not only do I have more genuinely nice friends than I know what to do with, but I am happily married (legally), to my partner of 15 years.

In the last five years, we have experienced our hottest summer, a record snowstorm, two hurricanes, and an earthquake. Amazingly, our condo has had limited damage, and we never lost power.

Maryland recently approved gay marriage BY VOTE!, and DC is approx. 95% Democratic. What's not to love about this area?

by Anonymousreply 4811/27/2012

Best public schools in the country.

by Anonymousreply 4911/28/2012

I live in DC, which has gay marriage, and I love DC and Maryland for many reasons, but I think Washington State is considerably warmer than DC or Maryland in the winter.

Don't move to Baltimore or Annapolis. They are great places to visit but you wouldn't want to live there. The coolest places to live in Maryland are Bethesda and Takoma Park, which are fabulous suburbs of DC. However, you can live in the heart of DC for the same price and living in Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, and Georgetown is as good as it gets anywhere, and it's not as costly as Manhattan.

DC is a fabulous place to live if you're gay. I go all day and never see a Republican. Bliss.

by Anonymousreply 5011/28/2012

Six terrific aspects of living in the heart of DC: 1. Since telephone & power lines are buried underground here, we never ever lose power when storms take out the power all around us. 2. You can live without a car here easily. 3. You can get a round trip bus ticket to Manhattan for just $35 for a quick getaway. Some people even take the bus to NYC for the day and return home at night. It just takes about 4 hours to get there by bus or car. 4. You can use ZipCars that are parked all over your neighborhood and just pay to use them by the hour or by the day. 5. Access to the subway makes it easy to go anywhere in Metro DC quickly & cheaply, including to National Airport. 6. There are countless FREE things to do in DC, including all the fabulous museums and galleries of the Smithsonian, fabulous free events at embassies and so on.

by Anonymousreply 5111/28/2012

[quote]Access to the subway makes it easy to go anywhere in Metro DC quickly

by Anonymousreply 5211/28/2012

I wish I could move up there. The cost of living is insane and I don't like a lot of the cold, type-A assholes that make up DC and its burbs (I have family in the area and am all too familiar with it), but I'm getting tired of living in Atlanta and ready for a change of cities.

by Anonymousreply 5311/28/2012

I wouldn't live in Baltimore unless I was in the Columbia area or down towards Annapolis.

Anyone familiar with Gaithersburg or Germantown? Yes, suburban hell, but they're relatively close to DC, right?

Also, what about Silver Spring? I thought the downtown was cheesy, but seems like it's a convenient area.

I'm not too fond of PG County. I know there are nice areas there (Ackokeek, Bowie, Upper Marlboro, Brandywine) but they're pretty far out and it seems that the more DC gentrifies, the poor folks who were pushed out wind up in PG and the crime is pretty bad close to The District.

I have family in the Marlow Hts/Oxon Hill area and don't really like that area at all. The neighborhoods themselves aren't that bad, but there are shitty apartment complexes all over the place, and the retail options suck due to the demographics (nice stores don't go to the ghetto areas, lets be honest). I also have family in Ft. Washington, and it seems like it's a bit nicer. Waldorf is too far down for my tastes and seems the traffic is horrific getting down there, and a lot of the native Southern Marlyanders seem to be very hostile to the black-flight from Prince Georges into Charles and Calvert County.

by Anonymousreply 5411/28/2012

Gaithersburg is a very nice city, R54. Close to everything, helps to have a car.

by Anonymousreply 5511/28/2012

Silver Spring is enjoying a cultural revival.

by Anonymousreply 5611/28/2012

[quote]I wouldn't live in Baltimore unless I was in the Columbia area or down towards Annapolis

You uppity, pussified wuss.

by Anonymousreply 5711/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!