Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Extreme couponer claims attack by store manager

GERMANTOWN, TN - (WMC-TV) - An extreme couponer claims she was attacked at a dollar store when she said the manager refused to honor her coupons. The entire ordeal was caught on camera.

The sign at the store states coupons are accepted at Dollar Tree but a shopper is now nursing a busted lip and popped blood vessels in her eye after she says the manager refused to deal with her "wad of coupons". She said she was attacked while leaving the store.

Missy Monzo-Marte says she was shopping at the Dollar Tree in Germantown with a friend, both of whom belong to the DeSoto County Coupon Club.

Jennifer Hill says they had a similar run in with the same manager last week. Now, they want answers from corporate.

"The only purpose for hitting record was so when Dollar Tree called me back I had proof of how we were treated in the store," said Hill.

But instead, hitting record caught the alleged attack on camera and led to Germantown police citing employee Shauna Shipman with misdemeanor assault.

A Dollar Tree corporate spokesperson said, "we take these types of claims seriously and we are investigating."

No comment about Shauna Shipman's employment status since incident is under review.

"Was this really all over coupons? I mean here we are, we're trying to save money," said Monzo-Marte.

And Monzo-Marte makes donations with her savings. She cannot understand why of all people, a store manager, would refuse her service. She still cannot believe she has a puffy lip and blurry vision because of a wad of coupons.

"We had no problem buying our products at any of the other Dollar Trees," she said.

Dollar Tree employee Shauna Shipman has not returned Action News 5's request for comment.

by Anonymousreply 6811/27/2012

Cunt-O-Rama!

by Anonymousreply 111/23/2012

oh dear

by Anonymousreply 211/23/2012

"Extreme" couponer?? They make it sound so sinister. The woman liked to use coupons...who gives a fuck how many?

by Anonymousreply 311/23/2012

Michael Clark is yummy. Top or bottom?

by Anonymousreply 411/23/2012

The couponer's claim is backed up by video of the attack and she has the fat lip and blood-shot eyeball to go with it.

by Anonymousreply 511/24/2012

Watch out fraus!

by Anonymousreply 711/24/2012

[quote] DeSoto County Coupon Club

Oh, Mary!

by Anonymousreply 811/24/2012

The lady that was attacked sounds like she's fat.

by Anonymousreply 911/24/2012

Do these people need all the shit they buy?

This seems like "guilt-free" compulsive shopping because they're "saving money" and buying necessary products like Advil and soap, not frivolous stuff like tchotchkes, clothes or shoes like their upper-middle class sisters. And they're compulsively organized with their binders and plastic sleeves. Forms of "legit" OCD and hoarding. Cats may be around the corner.

Seriously, do you need two dozen rolls of paper towels sitting at home? Even with a family of 4.3 individuals?

by Anonymousreply 1011/24/2012

R10, the story mentioned that they donate the products. I read about some local coupon people who do that. They bring soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, toothpaste, all kinds of crap people need - to a local shelter.

It doesn't seem particularly entertaining as a hobby but I feel the same way about building ships in bottles and hiking.

On the other hand, if everything in that store costs a dollar, I can hardly blame the manager for hating coupon people. Her profit margin must suck as it is.

by Anonymousreply 1111/24/2012

I misread. I thought they said they donate the savings.

by Anonymousreply 1211/24/2012

"On the other hand, if everything in that store costs a dollar, I can hardly blame the manager for hating coupon people. Her profit margin must suck as it is."

You recognize that the stores get the money from coupons back from the brands, plus a little bit more as an incentive. So they don't lose money on coupons. It doesn't justify an employee assaulting a customer.

by Anonymousreply 1311/24/2012

I wasn't justifying an assault. I wrote that I could see why the store manager would hate coupon people. Obviously there is no excuse for the assault.

I was wrong about the coupons impacting the store's profit margin. I had no idea how coupons worked. Thank you for letting me know.

by Anonymousreply 1411/24/2012

This story is so one sided. You don't know what that Frau says before she walks out of the store. I bet she called her a Nigger or something similar. She didn't attack her because of the coupons.

by Anonymousreply 1511/24/2012

I did wonder about that, R15. They'd had history and a tense exchange before and they went in prepared. Perhaps they goaded her into it.

by Anonymousreply 1611/24/2012

Mike Clark is a pushy bottom for those who wanted to know....

by Anonymousreply 1711/24/2012

[quote]Seriously, do you need two dozen rolls of paper towels sitting at home?

Just two dozen? Aren't you adorable!

by Anonymousreply 1811/24/2012

Why do you need coupons at a dollar store? Isn't everything cheap there anyway? These couponers are not happy unless they can get everything free. They are truly awful people. Has anyone ever been behind one in line at the grocery store. Its a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 1911/24/2012

You linked to the mobile website instead of the normal website, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2011/24/2012

[quote] Why do you need coupons at a dollar store? Isn't everything cheap there anyway? These couponers are not happy unless they can get everything free. They are truly awful people.

This is my experience as well. They most aggressive, vile people I've encountered in stores are the fraus clutching their little organizers of 10,000 coupons with a mad gleam in their eye.

by Anonymousreply 2111/24/2012

Gosh, R20, being kind of extreme yourself.

[quote]And Monzo-Marte makes donations with her savings

So it does look like they don't donate the products they purchase, but rather the savings on the products they purchase. How much shopping do these fraus have to do before they make a donation over $20?

There seems to be some justification going on here for a compulsive shopping habit. FFS, how many liters of Coke, boxes of Advil and denture tablets can one hoarde?

by Anonymousreply 2211/24/2012

The top rated comment on the story linked at the OP:

[quote]Anyone else notice that the "pro" coupon crowd is largely "large" women, who would benefit from less consumption? Reply · 115 · Like· Yesterday at 7:12am

Made by a woman.

by Anonymousreply 2311/24/2012

There is just something wrong with using coupons at the dollar store.

by Anonymousreply 2411/24/2012

Much hate for couponers being expressed due to outrage over having to wait behind them in line. What is to blame? The couponer is an Obama supporter! I suppose the Freeperville comments are inevitable in Tennessee:

[quote]Absolutely 1000% guaranteed this woman voted for Obama who as President has no problem keeping the economy in the sh*tter, keeping gas above $4 a gallon so more people are dependent on the government which = more votes for Democrats. All that money she thinks she is saving on coupons she would have saved and then some if she simply voted Obama out of office. Well she's going to have to cut a lot more out, another trillion has been added to the debt and gas is expect to break the $5 mark soon which raises the price of everything else. When Bush left office gas was $1.85 a gallon, but of course this is all his fault.

[quote]I am a couponer. I am NOT overweight. I surely am not a democrat.

by Anonymousreply 2511/24/2012

I watched the video - she called the manager a bitch or something to that effect on her way out. That's why the manager went after her. And who knows what was said previously and earlier in the week.

Of course they say they donate in order to make themselves look better. And I believe they do because no one could possibly use UP all the shit they buy. That doesn't make you a saint.

Here's my problem with these extreme couponers - they will routinely take the ENTIRE stock of an item out of the store. Completely clear the shelf. What about others who would like a 2 for 1, and only want 2, not 200? I know it's legal, but it's not necessarily right.

Coupons were not designed for this type of hoarding.

by Anonymousreply 2611/24/2012

"On the other hand, if everything in that store costs a dollar, I can hardly blame the manager for hating coupon people. Her profit margin must suck as it is."

Then they should have removed that huge sign on the store front advertising that they accept coupons.

by Anonymousreply 2711/24/2012

Everyone hates standing in line for half an hour behind these coupon freaks.

by Anonymousreply 2811/24/2012

All these couponers are very greedy. They need to eliminate this type of nonsense permanently. I bet she will watch the way she talks to store help from this point forward.

by Anonymousreply 2911/24/2012

Do I even need to watch the video to make a sketch of the attacker?

by Anonymousreply 3011/24/2012

I hate extreme couponers and if like them...you stand in line behind one at the grocery store. Fuck those motherfuckers. It's a stupid way to save money and if a store wants to save people money...then just cut the fucking price.

by Anonymousreply 3111/24/2012

Coupons, they waste time, they waste a normal shopper money. They fucking waste paper. I hope whomever came up with the idea of coupons is burning in hell right this very minute.

I don't care if that woman got a fat lip or a good punch in the face.

by Anonymousreply 3211/24/2012

Wow. Some vitriol over some stupid coupons. Life is too fucking short, people.

Also, Dollar General, despite it's name, is just a discount store, not a dollar store. Everything in there does not cost a dollar. It is probably equivalent to Walmart.

I just think it's sad how the media ratchets up outrage and you people fall for it, hook, line, and sinker. The masses are easy to brainwash, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 3311/24/2012

I don't give a shit what "the media" says about couponers, R33. I was talking about my personal experience with them. And my loathing for hoarders, whom I also have personal experience with -- unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 3411/24/2012

Trashy stores usually hire trashy employees. And this is what you get.

I imagine a Dollar Tree store manager probably makes no more than $15 an hour.

by Anonymousreply 3511/24/2012

She was probably run out of De Soto County, Mississippi Dollar stores and such and so she came to Georgetown, TN (which is not all that far from De Soto County, Mississippi) in order to do the coupon crap.

I bet she is one of the flea market people of Mississippi. You know. The kind of people who hawk massive amounts of diapers and such out of a rickety ass flea market stall.

by Anonymousreply 3611/24/2012

R35, By trashy I guess you mean poor? And you are way out of touch if you think $15 is a small wage. They are probably making minimum wage at a discount store. $15 is considered a high wage to corporate America. I find it very sad that you think being classist and rude about poor people is cute and funny, Mitt.

by Anonymousreply 3711/24/2012

[quote] so she came to Georgetown, TN (which is not all that far from De Soto County, Mississippi)

Germantown. The showed them in her residence which was quite nice.

by Anonymousreply 3811/24/2012

[quote]The masses are easy to brainwash, apparently

A cabal of international war-mongers blew up the two tallest buildings in NYC in broad daylight using high-powered explosives and the masses still think they fell down in 12 seconds flat because a couple of planes poked holes in them.

by Anonymousreply 3911/24/2012

Amen.

by Anonymousreply 4011/24/2012

R37, I'd hate to know how much you make if you think $15 an hour is even close to a decent wage.

by Anonymousreply 4111/24/2012

It's a little over $30,000 a year. If that is what the manager is making, you can imagine that the cashiers are making much less.

by Anonymousreply 4211/24/2012

As red as her eye was, she should get a quick settlement offer of about 200 grand.

by Anonymousreply 4411/24/2012

[quote] Why the automatic assumption that the woman might have used a racial slur?

Because the woman is so self-righteous and the story is so one-sided.

[quote] How about we make an assumption that the employee is just another angry black woman prone to violence?

Because that would be a racist assumption, with no evidence to support the assumption.

by Anonymousreply 4511/24/2012

[quote]How about we make an assumption that the employee is just another angry black woman prone to violence?

because THAT NEVER HAPPENED

by Anonymousreply 4611/24/2012

The evidence is the repeated punches to the face R45. Also the fact that she was clearly pumping up the volume of the argument.

by Anonymousreply 4711/24/2012

The TV station saw the video so I doubt they would run the story if she'd called the manager a nigger, because that infgo would obviously get out.

But why are you using coupons at Dollar Tree??? There is NOTHING more than 99 cents, you don't need coupons.

That said, I want to cum in the news reporter's ass. He's cute.

by Anonymousreply 4811/24/2012

[quote]But why are you using coupons at Dollar Tree??? There is NOTHING more than 99 cents, you don't need coupons.

That's not true. As has been posted, Dollar Tree is a discount store and has a variety of prices. It's like a low budget Wal-Mart.

The poor versus the poor will always make great fodder for entertainment. That's really what this story is. Meanwhile, the rich eat steak and drink cognac.

by Anonymousreply 4911/24/2012

R35, Germantown, Tn. is a suburb of Chattanooga which is east Tennessee, nowhere near Mississippi.

by Anonymousreply 5011/24/2012

R49, you don't know what you're talking about. Dollar Tree is a store where EVERYTHING in the store is $1.00.

by Anonymousreply 5111/24/2012

R50 Germantown, TN is in Western TN and it is in the same county (Shelby County) as Memphis. It's one of Shelby County's suburban towns.

by Anonymousreply 5211/24/2012

No, that is not true. Perhaps there was a time when everything was a dollar but that time has past.

by Anonymousreply 5311/24/2012

It really is the dregs that go into those places. I surprised there aren't a lot more brawls.

by Anonymousreply 5411/24/2012

Dollar Tree does offer most of its items for a dollar. The higher priced items are things like Tide.

by Anonymousreply 5511/24/2012

[all posts by racist shit-stain # 6 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 5611/24/2012

Fraus need to die in grease fires!

by Anonymousreply 5711/24/2012

[quote]This story is so one sided. You don't know what that Frau says before she walks out of the store. I bet she called her a Nigger or something similar. She didn't attack her because of the coupons.

One sided, like your post.

by Anonymousreply 5811/24/2012

[all posts by racist shit-stain # 6 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 5911/24/2012

Dollar Tree stores, if there like the stores with the same name in my area, probably stock knock-off brands (e.g. instead of Frosted Flakes, you have generic Corn Flakes), brands from Canada, South and Latin America which are cheaper than American-made products and over-stocked items which can't be sold in other stores. Most of these aren't kept in large supply and only arrive on certain days of the week so if you're looking for cheap cereal, you might only be able to buy it on Monday before it sells out and if not, you have to come back when a new shipment arrives the next week. As someone mentioned up-thread, the store manager may be getting mad at these extreme couponers coming in and buying up all the stock.

by Anonymousreply 6011/24/2012

Dollar Tree (where this incident occurred) & Dollar General are two different stores.

There are no Dollar General stores here & I've never been in one, so I don't know what they charge.

But there are a lot of Dollar Tree stores here & I shop at many of them regularly -- everything is $1 or less.

by Anonymousreply 6111/24/2012

What a bunch of nasty trash that woman was hoarding. Nothing but packaged high fructose corn syrup, trans fats and artificial flavors/colorings. I wouldn't consume that shit even for free. No wonder she's obese.

by Anonymousreply 6211/24/2012

don't make no difference if the shopper did call the manager a nigger, cause the colored should have more control. That woulda got her tarred and feathered a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 6311/26/2012

The OP is obviously a racist. I bet he thinks Jesse Jackson Jr is guilty too

by Anonymousreply 6411/26/2012

[quote]I bet she is one of the flea market people of Mississippi. You know. The kind of people who hawk massive amounts of diapers and such out of a rickety ass flea market stall.

Those Mississippi flea markets are insane. I've stopped at a few off I-10 driving through. Some of it's dent-and-scratch stuff, some of it is obviously purchased for pennies on the dollar from discount stores looking to unload it, some of it's guns and belt buckles and cheap leather belts and jewelry, and there's always a table with beat-to-shit old LPs in milk crates.

by Anonymousreply 6511/26/2012

I know this manager personally and I could NEVER imagine her attacking someone. That coupon lady MUST of said/done something INSANE.

by Anonymousreply 6611/27/2012

Despite the insulting comment made to the store manager, the manager obviously still should not have attacked her, if for no other reason than to maintain her job.

It's a gross story all around - the manager, the couponer, the comments on the local message boards.

by Anonymousreply 6711/27/2012

Stores receive money back on the coupon OVER the stated amount off. Read the coupon. When I worked in a grocery store, years ago, the courtesy desk cashiers used to have to clip ALL the coupons they could. The store owner would submit them to get as much $$ as possible. And they say customers are the cause of so much loss. Yeah, right.

by Anonymousreply 6811/27/2012
Need more help? Click Here.