Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Suggestions for non-dairy substitutes for butter that aren't disgusting or toxic...

I've known for some time I didn't tolerate dairy products well, even with Lactaid, but couldn't bring myself to cut out butter for certain things, like rice and potatoes. But the time has come to accept that I must really, really, 100% cut out dairy, because things are still really rocky in the land of my intestines! I can tolerate potatoes with good olive oil, but there are some things that just need something more like butter. Suggestions?

by AGreply 7911/26/2012

I have a foodie friend who swears by Smart Balance. She doesn't use it in cooking, just to "butter" things like bread and corn on the cob.

by AGreply 111/23/2012

Try Brummel and Braun yogurt spread. Quite good.

by AGreply 211/23/2012

R2, is the yogurt spread free of dairy? Yogurt kind of implies dairy to me.

by AGreply 411/23/2012

[quote]I can tolerate potatoes with good olive oil

Well smell you!

by AGreply 511/23/2012

Mayonnaise?

by AGreply 611/23/2012

Avocado is wonderful as a spread.

by AGreply 711/23/2012

OP = Ina Fartin'

by AGreply 811/23/2012

Astro-Glide.

by AGreply 911/23/2012

Isn't ghee a substitute some vegetarians use? Moat of the milk fat is eliminated during the preparation

by AGreply 1011/23/2012

Nothing is better than butter. But you must eat it in limited amounts. The substitutes are all made through some chemical process and margarine is way worse for you than butter chemical wise. Even that chef who had the healthy eating show, Ellie Krieger, insisted on cooking with butter and NOT margarine.

by AGreply 1111/23/2012

back in 1988 or so, NPR had on the author of "The Cake Bible" fro a featured interview. A caller asked her if margarine could ever be used in cakes. You could hear the contempt in her voice for anyone even thinking of using anything but butter in a cake.

by AGreply 1211/23/2012

My partner makes mashed potatoes with chicken stock, garlic and petter. They are better than the milk and butter version.

by AGreply 1311/23/2012

Yeah, I'm all too familiar with the contempt you speak of R12.

But some of us can't tolerate dairy at all. It makes me sick. No, not gassy, R8...sick with stomach pain.

How about "decent" olive oil, R5? I just meant stuff that doesn't smell like turpentine (btw, smell your olive oil--if there's a hint of turpentine, it's rancid.) I don't spend big snob-bucks on food that is intended to impress snobs who they look in my pantry.

Having a dietary restriction SUCKS, 'kay? I want to eat all the good stuff but I just can't. I have learned great things on the Datalounge about practical issues, and I know the dl isn't wall-to-wall contemptuous snobs. Just looking for some advice. Sheesh. I guess Friday night is the wrong night to post a question because only the other bitterlings are at home.

(Thank you to those of you who have given helpful advice).

by AGreply 1411/23/2012

Earth Balance

by AGreply 1511/23/2012

[quote]You could hear the contempt in her voice for anyone even thinking of using anything but butter in a cake.

I knew someone like that. I usually go for butter but whenever I baked something to serve her I made a point of using margarine and telling her I used butter... She would then go on about how delicious it was. I once gave her garlic bread with margarine. She said the butter tasted 'fresher' so I told her it was organic butter made from goats milk and that I had bought it on the farm. She still raves about it.

by AGreply 1611/23/2012

Coconut milk

by AGreply 1711/23/2012

He makes them with Petter, R13?

Perhaps you meant "freshly ground black people"

by AGreply 1811/23/2012

I would recommend coconut butter/cream. Despite its name, it's completely dairy free. Plus, it's delicious!

by AGreply 1911/23/2012

Coconut oil.

by AGreply 2011/23/2012

LOVE R16. Some people just beg to be fooled!

R17, I like coconut milk, but isn't it supposed to be really bad for you like the other tropical oils/fats? Tell me I'm wrong, I'll be pouring that heaven all over everything! Yum!

by AGreply 2111/23/2012

R16 Was this a plug for the Beekman Boys?

by AGreply 2211/23/2012

No, coconut oil, cream, and fat are good for you. Great source of saturated fats which are highly stable and excellent for cooking. Contrary to popular belief, saturated fats are good not bad. Read more about primal/paleo diets.

by AGreply 2311/23/2012

Macadamia nut oil tastes quite buttery to me.

by AGreply 2411/23/2012

I use Olivio. It is an olive oil spread.

I've been reading about coconut oil. I read that some famous bakery uses it in their gluten and dairy free cupcakes. I think it was the owner of Babycakes in NYC. I saw some at Costco this week. Almost bought it, but then decided to wait and do more research.

by AGreply 2511/23/2012

[quote]Having a dietary restriction SUCKS, 'kay?

You have my sympathy OP, you really do. But please write like a grown-up & just say "OK". OK? Thanks.

by AGreply 2611/23/2012

Coconut oil has been much maligned. Do some reading on it OP. It's fine.

by AGreply 2711/23/2012

Another vote for Earth Balance. I also like Vegannaise - really tasty.

by AGreply 2811/23/2012

Like R23 said, coconut oil/butter/cream ARE good for you, despite the bad rap they've gotten due to their high fat content. I've lost around 30 pounds since I started eating a mostly paleo/primal diet last year, all without ever counting calories. The key is to eat unprocessed, mostly organic food.

by AGreply 2911/23/2012

Butter contains little if any lactose. Are you sure you can't have it? I have problems with milk and cheese but none with yogurt (because of the enzymes) and butter (because it has very little if any lactose).

by AGreply 3011/23/2012

Smart Balance and Earth Balance both taste awful.

by AGreply 3111/23/2012

Make your own ghee from organic butter. It's easy. Ghee has no lactic acid. It also has a yummy taste. Spread it on toast, mashed potatoes, drizzle on vegetables, use it to sauté etc. in baking you can use apple sauce and oil to replace butter.

by AGreply 3211/24/2012

butter is a food group

by AGreply 3311/24/2012

Lard.

by AGreply 3411/24/2012

Ghee Whiz.

by AGreply 3511/24/2012

Marzipan.

by AGreply 3611/24/2012

OP, coconut milk is no worse for you than the butter you ate until now.

by AGreply 3711/24/2012

Silverleaf lard is used by chefs as a butter substitute.

Silverleaf grade is the highest quality lard.

Check it out.

by AGreply 3811/24/2012

I have used nothing except Smart Balance for years to cook with and as a spread. I see someone said it was awful. What you like as a spread is not what tastes best, it is what you become used to. Taste tests of margarine versus butter reveal the taster chooses the butter if he uses butter and home and the taster using margarine at home choose that over butter.

by AGreply 3911/24/2012

OP, it's likely your dairy problem is an inability to process one of the proteins in dairy. The usual offender is casein, the main protein in dairy, and that means you will need to be careful of any product that has any of its derivatives added for creamy mouth feel. That means most "non-dairy" substitutes are going to cause problems. I found that out the hard way when non-dairy coffee creamer brought me to grief. Read labels; if something has a creamy mouth feel, it might well have a casein derivative added. Forget about ever eating Cool Whip again.

The reason I'm saying you have a dairy protein issue is that the higher the fat content the less lactose there is in dairy products. Skim milk causes more problems for the lactose intolerant than whipped cream. The fact that you're having problems with butter tells me it's more likely you have a casein (or other dairy protein) issue than a lactose problem.

I had to learn all of this on my own the hard way because doctors think all dairy problems are lactose intolerance. That was my original medical diagnosis but it was obvious early on there was something else going on. It's a problem most doctors don't know yet. My doctor went through this process with me, so she has become quite knowledgeable, but that's not the norm.

Casein makes me very sick, and cramping is usually the first symptom. I have learned through trial and error to avoid it. My poor colon; the things I've put it through (or put through it).

Do not buy cheap coconut butter or coconut oil. Buy only organic virgin coconut oil. The rest of it is processed with chemicals and is as bad for you as any other frankenfood. It's a great substitute for butter, especially in cooking and baking. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they sell organic virgin coconut oil at a good price. If not, it's available at natural food stores. It makes the best homemade microwave popcorn on earth; there's a reason movie theaters use coconut oil in their popcorn poppers.

I use a lot of olive oil. I used to be harder to find good tasting olive oil than it is now. It's very useful and a good substitute for butter.

I use Purity Farm ghee. It's organic and because the milk solids have been removed, there is no lactose or casein. Make your own from organic butter if you prefer. I get lazy and Purity Farm is the best commercial ghee I've found. I use ghee in sautéeing (sometimes in combination with coconut oil) and also melted and brushed on toast in place of butter. It's also very good in mashed potatoes or any time you want the flavor and mouth feel of butter without the consequences.

Coconut milk is wonderful for anyone who can't assimilate cow's milk and doesn't want unfermented soy in their diet. I use it the same way I would cow's milk.

by AGreply 4011/24/2012

I use a lot of leaf lard. It makes the best pie crust ever.

by AGreply 4111/24/2012

R39 why would anyone want to train themselves to eat a substance that tastes awful?

by AGreply 4211/24/2012

Digestive Advantage for Lactose Intolerance, which you can buy at any decent drug store. I could never eat dairy products, but this stuff has made it possible for me to enjoy any dairy at all. One capsule a day and it is a life changer.

by AGreply 4311/24/2012

earth balance

by AGreply 4411/24/2012

Margarine is only one molecule away from being plastic.

by AGreply 4511/24/2012

It already tastes like it, R45.

by AGreply 4611/24/2012

R40, I think you are correct that it is casein, not lactose, that causes me problems, especially since Lactaid products don't help. Thanks for all the info--I know I have a lot of research to do. I'm just hoping I don't turn out to have a problem with gluten on top of it. Not only would I have to have an impossibly restricted diet, but I don't want to be one of the zillions of people who now think they are gluten intolerant. I mean what's next for me at this rate, fibromyalgia?? Grr.

by AGreply 4711/24/2012

I would deal with the casein problem first, OP. I think you might be surprised what a difference it will make to remove that one substance from your diet. If you can't eat buttered bread, remove the butter and see what happens.

Be sure to read all food labels carefully. It doesn't matter what the name of the chemical might be, if it contains "casein" anywhere, don't buy it. I was surprised at some of the processed food that contains casein. And ignore that "non-dairy" b.s. because it means nothing. Non-dairy creamer is one of the worst things I can eat, so artificial forms can be even worse.

A friend told me all milk contains casein but some less than others. She said seal milk contains the least. You might find you can tolerate goat's milk or sheep's milk because they have a little less casein than cow's milk. I don't have a source of seal milk so I haven't tried it.

by AGreply 4811/24/2012

Try goat butter.

by AGreply 4911/24/2012

R49, that was awesome, that is some WEB-MD shit right there. I had been diagnosed lactose intolerant since 1996 but dairy-free has been the death of me. I avoided them but didn't know why. Respect!

by AGreply 5011/24/2012

I like and use Smart Balance

by AGreply 5111/24/2012

They are all disgusting and toxic...sorry but they are.

by AGreply 5211/24/2012

[52] NONSENSE !!

by AGreply 5311/24/2012

No not nonsense...taste those fake 'spreads' yourself...gross just gross.

by AGreply 5411/25/2012

[bold]There is Nothing Smart About Smart Balance by Sarah, The Healthy Home Economist[/bold] March 23, 2011

I’ve had it. Everyone has her limits and I’ve reached mine.

If one more person who claims to eat healthy tells me that she uses Smart Balance, Earth Balance, or any of those health-robbing butter substitute “spreads,” I think I’m going to scream.

A loud, obnoxious, ear piercing, wine glass shattering SCREAM!

You see, there is nothing “smart” about Smart Balance, unless of course you happen to be a shareholder of the company, in which case you would be very happy with the cheap, rancid, genetically modified vegetable oils that are used to manufacture this butter substitute resulting in a very low cost of production and resultantly huge profit margins.

Don’t think for one moment that Smart Balance could possibly be made in the comfort of your own kitchen the way lovely yellow butter can easily be churned from cream in a bowl with a hand mixer.

No way! A pseudo food as complex as Smart Balance or any of the many other “spreads” on the market requires synthesis in a factory in all its high tech, food denaturing glory. They are chemistry experiments, not food!

Get a load of the catchy marketing slogan for Smart Balance:

“The buttery taste you crave in a delicious spread that supports healthy cholesterol levels.”

Let’s see. Why do you suppose folks crave that “buttery taste” anyway?

Because they need some Real Butter, that’s why!

I know a pretty die-hard vegetarian who once told me that every now and again when she craves a big, thick juicy steak, she gives in and eats one.

Smart gal. Cravings can tell us a lot about ourselves – if we’ll only listen – from the state of our gut as in the case of craving sugar and having a gut imbalance problem to craving a steak due to the complete proteins only animal foods can provide (soy is NOT a complete protein, by the way. Don’t even get me started on that one).

So, when that craving for all things buttery comes over you, it is always best to get some Real Butter and slather it on anything that seems remotely feasible at the moment. A vegan community in South Florida suffering from severe dental decay issues likes to eat raw butter straight out of the tub with a spoon, I’m told. Now, that’s a serious craving for the “buttery taste”!

[bold]What Exactly is in Smart Balance?[/bold]

Let’s take a look at the ingredients in Stupid, er – I mean, Smart Balance:

“Natural oil blend (soybean, palm fruit, canola, and olive oils), water, contains less than 2% of whey (from milk), salt, natural and artificial flavor, vegetable monoglycerides and sorbitan ester of fatty acids (emulsifiers), soy lecithin, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, Vitamin D, dl-a-tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), lactic acid, beta carotene color, and potassium sorbate, and calcium disodium EDTA (to preserve freshness).”

Shall we analyze this rather long list of ingestibles?

The soybean and canola oils are almost certainly genetically modified. Frankenfood at its finest!

The olive oil isn’t even extra virgin olive oil. Can we say cheap, cheap, CHEAP?

Natural and artificial flavor – this must be where that “buttery taste you crave” part comes in. Excellent stuff if you dig tricking your taste buds (newsflash, you won’t trick your tummy though. At least not for long. You’ll be craving that “buttery taste” soon after and more than likely sticking your head in a big bowl of ice cream by 9pm).

Soy lecithin – yet another genetically modified ingredient.

Vitamin A palmitate – the synthetic form of vitamin A. Since there’s not much natural about Smart Balance in the first place, “fortification” with synthetic vitamins seems logical!

Vitamin D – the label doesn’t even specify what type, but I can pretty much guarantee it’s synthetic D2. Is this the wondrous vitamin D everyone – even Oprah is raving about lately? Brilliant marketing and wishful thinking doesn’t make it so.

by AGreply 5511/25/2012

Part 2

Beta carotene color – the normal color for factory produced margarine like Smart Balance is a very unappetizing grey, so color is definitely needed here to fool the masses.

Potassium sorbate – a supposedly safe food preservative that inhibits microbial growth. Safe at least until they find it isn’t. Three cheers for being a guinea pig!

Calcium disodium EDTA – an organic pollutant which breaks down in the environment into ethylenediamine triacetic acid and then diketopiperazine. Diketopiperazine is a persistent organic pollutant, similar to PCBs and DDT. Not only does Smart Balance pollute the bodies of those who eat it, it pollutes the environment too!

Butter is Always Best!

Nothing manufactured in a factory can ever beat the simple, natural, whole nutrition of plain BUTTER. No genetically modified, artificial flavors or organic pollutant preservatives needed. Loads of natural vitamin A, D, and E that really will boost your immune system unlike the synthetic versions in margarine spreads like Smart Balance.

Most importantly, butterfat is far superior to the rancid, highly processed vegetable oils in Smart Balance. While not hydrogenated, the edible oil processing, called interesterification, is still very much denaturing and is arguably worse for cardiovascular health than transfats.

On the other hand, butter, particularly grassfed butter, is one of the richest sources of vitamin K2. Vitamin K2 is the magical X Factor written about by Dr. Weston A. Price which is known to prevent arterial calcification which is a very strong (if not the strongest) predictor of cardiovascular disease risk, NOT cholesterol levels.

Folks with low cholesterol suffer from heart disease at the same rate as those with high cholesterol. Don’t tell that to the folks in the marketing department at Smart Balance, though. They’re doing really well with that catchy marketing slogan that associates use of Smart Balance with “healthy” cholesterol levels.

Once you get past the marketing hype, it sure seems that the more appropriate name for Smart Balance would be “Stupid Balance,” don’t you think?

Source: Interesterification of Vegetable Oils, by Dr. Mary Enig

by AGreply 5611/25/2012

Stupid Balance....it has a nice ring to it. Still want to eat it?

by AGreply 5711/25/2012

Besides the two healthy substitutes already mentioned - Ghee and Coconut Oil - another option for cooking is animal fat. I buy a little portion of duck fat at the farmer's market and it adds a lot of flavor to whatever you're cooking.

by AGreply 5811/25/2012

Only fatties eat potatoes.

by AGreply 5911/25/2012

Coconut oil, health is in dispute, but worth a try if you like it.

I can't abide the taste of it, but you may love it.

Ghee...works for some but if lactose is not the problem it may not.

I still think Goat butter is your best solution.

by AGreply 6011/25/2012

What does duck fat taste like, R58? I don't like duck, but it's more of a problem with not liking fatty poultry than the flavor.

by AGreply 6111/25/2012

From the entry for "Lard" on Wikipedia:

"" During the 19th century, lard was used in a similar fashion as butter in North America and many European nations. Lard was also held at the same level of popularity as butter in the early 20th century and was widely used as a substitute for butter during World War II.

"" By the late 20th century, lard had begun to be considered less healthy than vegetable oils (such as olive and sunflower oil) because of its high saturated fatty acid and cholesterol content. However, despite its reputation, lard has less saturated fat, more unsaturated fat, and less cholesterol than an equal amount of butter by weight.[2] Unlike many margarines and vegetable shortenings, unhydrogenated lard contains no trans fat. [4] ""

by AGreply 6211/25/2012

If you have a Russian store near you, ask for some of their cured lard. Amazing on toast.

by AGreply 6311/25/2012

R60, goat butter contains casein. If OP can't process casein, goat butter would be a problem.

I love the flavor of goat butter but because I can't digest casein, I can only eat tiny amounts.

Ghee does not contain either lactose or casein, and that makes it a good fat for anyone who has problems digesting either of those.

Your information on coconut oil is incorrect, unless you're talking about processed coconut oil. Organic virgin coconut oil that has not been processed is a very healthy choice.

by AGreply 6411/25/2012

R62, the fictitious information we've been told about lard and butter has been disproved if anyone cares to do some research.

Don't buy grocery store lard, Morell's or Swift's or any of those brands, because they're all hydrogenated to give them longer shelf life.

If you have access to good lard, it's an excellent fat. OP wants something that tastes like butter and lard doesn't.

by AGreply 6511/25/2012

Yup, R62. That's why my dad always talked about eating lard sandwiches as a young 'un.

by AGreply 6611/25/2012

Yes, r61, I don't like duck either. But the duck fat is a pretty mild lard - just seems to enhance the flavors of whatever was cooking.

And no it's not what I would spread on bread.

I have a trick I learned with rice - stir the rice in the pot with a little bit of fat (much less than you would use otherwise), cook it for a few minutes before adding water - then you don't have to add butter later. The rice gets a fluffy moist quality without using as much fat.

by AGreply 6711/25/2012

Find someone to share some kefir grains with you and start fermenting you milk. Kefir contains only small amounts of casein and lactose, as most of it is predigested by the bacteria in it. You'll have simpler carbohydrates and amino acids /peptides, and you will strengthen your future ability to digest dairy because it will colonize your intestine with beneficial bacteria which will continue to do it for you.

Anyway, butter shouldn't be a problem as it's 80% fat and 20% water. There's no protein and no carbohydrates there.

by AGreply 6811/25/2012

Thanks, R58. I keep hearing about duck fat but now I'm going to try it. I also like your tip about rice.

I use a Zo micron rice cooker, and I think it would work fine with a little fat added.

by AGreply 6911/25/2012

R68, I can drink kefir if I don't mind spending a couple of days in the bathroom afterward not to mention the pain and suffering. These products affect people differently. I can't eat yogurt either, even though well-meaning friends thought I should be able to.

Anyway, what OP asked for is butter substitutes, and kefir won't work for that.

OP has already established that s/he cannot digest butter. Some people who are sensitive to casein can digest butter and some cannot. OP cannot.

by AGreply 7011/25/2012

OP better learn how to flavor and store high-quality lard then.

by AGreply 7111/25/2012

Agree. Along with several other options that have been offered, R71.

by AGreply 7211/25/2012

KARO SYRUP!

by AGreply 7311/25/2012

r64, I think that when r60 suggested goat butter, he meant goat butter as described in r16's post.

by AGreply 7411/26/2012

Ah, that makes sense, R74.

However, the problem with margarine isn't so much in how it performs in baking but in how bad it is for the human body.

by AGreply 7511/26/2012

Cook the milk solids out of a couple of sticks of undated butter and you have ghee, which is the oil of butter. Use plenty of cheesecloth to help with this process.

by AGreply 7611/26/2012

And I meant unsalted butter, not 'undated.' Damn Auto-correct...

by AGreply 7711/26/2012

[quote}I love the flavor of goat butter but because I can't digest casein

Also has Morgellon's and fibromyalgia and multiple personalities.

by AGreply 7811/26/2012

Nope, only casein sensitivity, R78. I'm sure that's difficult for you to grasp with your limited mental resources.

If you want, I'll come over to your house and eat lots of dairy products and shit all over the place. That could be lots of fun.

by AGreply 7911/26/2012
Need more help? Click Here.