Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Just attended the very first public screening of Les Miserables

It was this afternoon at the Alice Tully Hall in Lincoln Center.

It's 100% successful, absolutely great on every level. It will be hard to beat for Best Picture, Best Director (Tom Hooper), Best Actor (Hugh Jackman) and Best Supporting Actress (Anne Hathaway). The little kid who plays Gavroche should be up for Best Supporting Actor. The one new song "Suddenly" is lovely and could be up for Best Song if there's a category. There was huge applause after pretty much every musical number, particularly Jackman's and Hathaway's. Russell Crowe (Javert) is the only one I had a teensy problem with because he's not a singer like the others but he still looks great and acts it well.

Hooper, Hathaway, Eddie Redmayne (Marius), Mandy Seyfried (Cosette) and Samantha Barks (Eponine) did a q&a afterwards. Hooper gave a speech before the screening telling us he had only put the finishing touches on it at 2 am on Wednesday morning.

Questions, bitches?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 60102/13/2013

How are Sasha Cohen and Helena BC as the Thenardiers?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 111/23/2012

Happy the hear this! Hopefully a successful movie will mean more musical adaptations!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 211/23/2012

I like Hathaway, but she's out of her league in this.

IDAD is competent, but nothing extravagant. They should have dubbed her version with Aretha's. Miss Franklin bled all over those notes.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 311/23/2012

Whass the dif between "very first" an first?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 411/23/2012

Thanks, Lynn. Can't wait!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 611/23/2012

How is Aaron Tveit in the film?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 711/23/2012

Not to pay much attention to a post that ends with "questions bitches"

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 811/23/2012

[quote]It's 100% successful, absolutely great on every level.

We're still talking about the musical Les Miserables, right?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 911/23/2012

I have a suspicion that all the people who were at the screening are "Les Miz" fans or musical theater geeks who want it to succeed or have some connection to the film. Reminds me of the "Evita" screenings when everyone was saying things like "The movie is gorgeous!" "It'll win Best Picture" "Madonna will get Best Actress" and so on. But then the movie came out and... nothing happened. I won't be convinced until the general public gets to see it and hear what the average moviegoer has to say.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 1011/23/2012

I keep hearing Lincoln is the perceived frontrunner for picture, director, actor and supporting actor and actress.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 1111/23/2012

My question to you, OP is:

What PR firm do you work for?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 1211/23/2012

OP is right- Ben Afflect is pissed off today

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 1311/23/2012

R4 the same as the latest and the very latest

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 1411/23/2012

Aaron Tveit is great-he sings beautifully (uses a combo American-British accent) and he looks great-that guy's got gorgeous skin.

H B C and S B C are very good as the Thenardiers because they're so well directed. H B C is doing a variation of Mrs. Lovett but is sharper this time. S B C has some terrific moments-he sings "Master Of The House" in a comical French accent but sings the rest of it in character with a cockney accent. It works.

R11, this will rival Lincoln in every single category. And it will win Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress. Spielberg could still win over Tom Hooper but it will be tough. Affleck will be shut out.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 1511/23/2012

Though I'm hoping this movie is fantastic, Lynn Stairmaster spreads excrement on her toast in the morning and then makes yummy-tummy noises, so you need to take her opinion with a grain of salt...

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 1611/23/2012

Her predictions are always off. You can goggle last year's Oscar predictions for proof.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 1711/23/2012

And, for the record, I thought Evita sucked. And Madonna was a stick of wood in it even though she sang well

Jackman connects with the audience with this role in an incredible way. His songs-and Hathaway's-are shot as incredibly intimate inner monologues.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 1811/23/2012

I adore it when R16 and other detractors get all nasty about me. It emboldens me, as a matter of fact, and spurs me on to express my opinions, regardless. If a few of you are entertained by my opinions, then great. I happened to be at the very first screening ever of Les Mis and thought there might be some here who are interested.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 1911/23/2012

"Goggle," R17? You just made me guggle!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 2011/23/2012

SPOILER....

At the end only Fantine is there to guide Javert to the "next level." Eponine appears at the very end but in a different context.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 2111/23/2012

Love all musicals and looking forward to seeing this one. However for those that don't, how's the pacing, or will they get bored? Would it make sense if you don't know the story in advance? What would convince the proletariat to buy a ticket?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 2211/23/2012

r5, be nice and go hug your Viking....

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 2311/23/2012

Original cast members Colm Wilkinson (Javert) and Frances Ruffelle (Eponine) appear in the film. Wilkinson has a significant role as a priest while Ruffelle gets to sing a few lines as one of the "lovely ladies."

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 2411/23/2012

BP goes to Lincoln.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 2511/23/2012

And no one is beating Daniel Day Lewis in his greatest performance. Jackman doesn't come close.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 2611/23/2012

I had to sit through a special "sneak peek" in front of Skyfall. It looks like shit, and Hugh Jackman is very gay, which isn't a bad thing, I'm just saying he's not fooling anyone.

They try to make it seem like it's so fucking revolutionary, but it's still overblown shit. Although it wouldn't be too surprising if it picked up some awards, I'm betting that it walks away with only technical awards (or Best Song).

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 2711/23/2012

I didn't know Ruffelle had a cameo. Does she play the "main" prostitute in Lovely Ladies?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 2811/23/2012

OP is a shill.

This will never win Best Picture

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 2911/23/2012

I am probably in the minority here, but I've never seen Les Miserables, and know next to nothing about it.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 3011/23/2012

This is really going to have to clean up with critics and audiences to beat Lincoln.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 3111/23/2012

Broadway awaits Hugh Jackman in Houdini . . .

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 3211/23/2012

It will flop. Musicals on film are laughable.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 3311/23/2012

[quote]I like Hathaway, but she's out of her league in this.

What the fuck are you babbling about? Hathaway is a trained stage actress and an Academy Award nominated actress.

[quote]Reminds me of the "Evita" screenings when everyone was saying things like "The movie is gorgeous!" "It'll win Best Picture" "Madonna will get Best Actress" and so on. But then the movie came out and... nothing happened.

Except it won the Golden Globe for Best Picture Musical, Best Song and Best Actress Musical for Madonna. Oh and it was nominted for five Oscars for Best Art Direction-Set Decoration and Cinematography because it WAS gorgeous and won Best Song, but except for that, you're right, nothing happened.

[quote]And no one is beating Daniel Day Lewis in his greatest performance. Jackman doesn't come close.

No actor has won three Best Actor awards, that will have some play while Jackman whom the Academy loves, remember he's hosted, is starring in a sung through role in the most popular musical of all time. Don't bet the farm against him just yet.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 3411/23/2012

I'll say it again...no one wants to hear one of the lushest, most gorgeous ballads in musical history sung "intimately" and truthfully by a reedy, thin-voiced actress such as Ms. Hathaway. Worldwide audiences are entitled to a definitive, full-throated, balls to the wall performance of this classic and they ate being served the equivalent of watered down liquor. Not to mention that Susan Boyie should have been cast as Mdme. Thenardier. How did the producers miss that obvious character choice? Not to mention the additional millions in box office and soundtrack sales alone her name would have brought, despite the critical drubbings she endures here on DL. Lost opportunities all around I'm afraid with this production.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 3511/23/2012

Thanks, Lynn Stairmaster. I can't wait to see this.

Is "Do You Hear the People Sing?" the show-stopper in the film as it is on stage?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 3611/23/2012

[quote]What the fuck are you babbling about? Hathaway is a trained stage actress and an Academy Award nominated actress.

She doesn't have the voice for the part.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 3711/23/2012

"Except it won the Golden Globe for Best Picture Musical, Best Song and Best Actress Musical for Madonna"

Come on, you know the Globes are a joke.

You are coming across a bias fangurl.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 3811/23/2012

R28, she's there are three prostitutes in the "Lovely Ladies" number and Ruffelle is one of them. Sorry, I don't remember which lyrics she sang but she got to sing at least two lines.

Eye candy observations-almost everybody in this film is dentally challenged in one way or another but there are still some stabs at eye candy. Jackman looks like shit in the first sequences (with very bad teeth) but as time progresses Valjean's obviously had some dental improvements. Jackman looks hot in a few scenes, in one of them his shirt is open and we can see a bit of chest hair. Very nice. Redmayne still looks unfortunately like Howdy Doody but he's got beautiful green eyes. Aaron Tveit looks wonderful. One of the other students (dark, curly hair) is OK looking. In the "Master Of The House" number there's a really handsome young military guy with a mustache who Madame Thenardier fawns over in a treacherous sort of way.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 4011/23/2012

Thanks for sharing some insight. I'm pretty excited about this adaptation, to say the least. Someone mentioned a song was cut from the second act but won't say more than that. Do you remember which one it was?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 4111/23/2012

R39, have you seen the movie? I have. Hathaway's rendition of "I Dreamed A Dream" is a genuine showstopper. It's hugely touching and highly effective. She's got the lock on Best Supporting Actress now.

R36, "Do You Hear The People Sing?" is as stirring in the film as it is on stage.

Correction-Colm Wilkinson plays the Bishop, not a priest.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 4211/23/2012

Dude 24...we are gay, we are theater queens...I'm going to ask you to turn in your tiara...Colm Wilkerson did not play Javert...he was the original Jean Valjean.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 4311/23/2012

Lynn, as much as I like you, you're the Jeffrey Lyons of DL. Has there ever been an advanced screening you've attended where you *didn't* like the film? Hell, you even heaped praise on the cloying box office failure "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close."

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 4411/23/2012

R44, I stand by my opinion of Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close. I liked it then and I like it now. I stand by that opinion, like the much ridiculed one on here that Marion Cotillard deserved an Oscar nomination for Nine. Those are my opinions and I'm standing by them.

I was not a fan of W.E., you may recall. In fact my negative comments about it got lifted out of this and placed in a London tabloid. I was identified as an "insider." Heh.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 4511/23/2012

'Les Miserables' Wows First Audience in New York, Clearly Headed for Oscars (Analysis)

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 4611/23/2012

[ote]There's no power to Hathaway's voice. Too whispery when it needs to deliver.

You do realize that in this film the action doesn't stop for big "back of the balcony" ballads don't know? Now shaddup until you see it.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 4711/23/2012

'Les Miserables' Wows First Audience in New York, Clearly Headed for Oscars (Analysis)

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 4811/23/2012

I actually think the Evita movie is quite gorgeous and very underrated, R10. What killed it was the curious overpraisal of Madonna in it, when she was the film's weakest link.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 4911/23/2012

R41, the song that was cut was "Turning," I think. The song the women in the area.

Jackman's voice is not particularly pretty but it's functional. "Bring Him Home" isn't sung brilliantly like Wilkinson's rendition but it's filmed so well that it works. I could be wrong but it seemed to me that a lot of the orchestrations are more subdued for the film version. They're not as bombastic as they could be. "A Heart Full Of Love" sounded as flowery as it did on stage, though, which isn't a bad thing since it's got a giddy romanticism to it. There was a CGI butterfly in that sequence which made us giggle a bit. I give Redmayne points for playing this sequence almost goofily. You understand he's falling in love but it's not all goo goo gah gah. This is also, I think, why Hooper's direction is so brilliant.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 5011/23/2012

I thought Antonia Banderas was really good in Evita.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 5111/23/2012

R51, I liked Banderas, too, but it bothered me that he sung in a Spanish accent (naturally) but everybody else sung with a British accent, whether they were working class or not. I guess I'm saying that Banderas shouldn't have been cast alongside Madonna and Jonathan Pryce. I think it should have been done in Spanish with hispanic performers, anyway, same as I think Memoirs Of A Geisha should have been done in Japanese with Japanese actresses. OK, flame away!

Back to Les Miserables: as I wrote earlier Sacha Baron Cohen sings "Master Of The House" in a French accent but reverts back to cockney when he's in character. I wonder whose choice it was to do that but I liked it. I remember hating the guy who played the role on Broadway-"Master Of The House" does NOT work sung in an American accent. Helena Bonham Carter does a cockney accent throughout. Anne Hathaway doesn't seem to sing with a particular British accent. Neither does Mandy Seyfried. I was OK that the accents weren't particularly homogenized.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 5211/23/2012

Lets revisit some old Lynn Stairmaster predictions:

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 5311/23/2012

He/she uses the term "flyover"

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 5411/23/2012

2 out of three ain't bad?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 5511/23/2012

Hugh Jackman is a "a tour de force" & shoo-in for Oscar along with Anne Hathaway!

Movieline's LES MISERABLES reaction:

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 5711/23/2012

Lynn's got pages of this shit on here...almost always wrong.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 5811/23/2012

Is Hugh believable as a straight man?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 5911/23/2012

Oh, give it up, R53. Did I ever say I was accurate with my predictions? Please...enough, already. You seem unhinged.

I haven't mentioned Samantha Barks' performance as Eponine. She's perfectly fine but not as heartbreaking as she could be. Wasn't Taylor Swift originally mentioned for this? Yikes. Lea Michele, thank God, didn't get cast, we would have been rooting for her to get shot.

The new song "Suddenly" is sung by Valjean to Young Cosette in a carriage on the way to Paris.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 6011/23/2012

[quote]Oh, give it up, [R53]. Did I ever say I was accurate with my predictions

Isn't accuracy sort of the goal of predicting things?

If not then I predict Helen Hunt will upset Chris Christie in the 2016 presidential race.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 6111/23/2012

Forgot to mention that Randy Graff, who played Fantine originally on Broadway, was there. I doubt that Patti LuPone, who created the role in London, was there. Also there was producer extraordinaire Scott Rudin, he sat a few rows in front of me. I don't think he had anything to do with it. He left (with his bf?) as the credits rolled and before the q&a started.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 6211/23/2012

Who says Jean Valjean is straight, R59?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 6311/23/2012

Isn't he? Doesn't he bang the whores?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 6411/23/2012

Hilary Swank for Conviction???!!

AHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHA

Lynn Stairmaster is dead wrong about every single one of her ridiculous predictions. Always.

THREAD CLOSED.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 6511/23/2012

Going by those old posts, not only is Lynn usually wrong, she's not even in the fucking ball park.

Maybe just give opinions and what you liked, and leave the 'predictions' at home.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 6611/23/2012

The movieline link above says Hathaway is a shoo-in for Best Actress...which is she going for Supporting or lead?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 6711/23/2012

Hathaway had Sony deliberately put her in the lead actress category for the Dark Knight so she could be put up for supporting for Les Mis and not compete with herself. I don't believe she has enough screen time to be put up for lead.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 6811/23/2012

Wow, I've actually been wrong in my predictions? What relevance does it have to this thread, though?

Well, let me make some predictions-THIS movie will be nominated for Oscars for Best Picture, Best Actor (Jackman), Best Supporting Actress (Hathaway), Best Supporting Actor (Redmayne), Best Director, Best Screenplay Adaptation, Best Cinematography, Best Production Design, Best Make-up Design, Best Visual Effects, Best Film Editing, Best Sound and Best Sound Editing. I don't think it will be up for Best Costumes. If the Best Song category exists next year than "Suddenly" will probably slip in there.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 6911/23/2012

"S B C has some terrific moments-he sings "Master Of The House" in a comical French accent but sings the rest of it in character with a cockney accent. It works."

How the fuck could that possibly work? If one is playing a French guy in a movie set in France in which everyone's accent is calibrated to a Brit equivalent (no problem with this so far as the principal cast is made up of two Australian leading men, two English and two American featured women, and at least two English and one American featured men) then why would an actor playing a French character conceived, in this model, as a Cockney proxy, call attention to this parallel by interrupting this convention by performing one of his big numbers in a burlesque French dialect.

Is this supposed to be post-modern?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 7011/23/2012

Of course it will be up for Best Costumes. It's a period piece.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 7111/23/2012

God, what is fucking wrong with you cunts? I don't give a shit that LS has been wrong in the past.

I'm happy for the report from the first screening. Plus anyone with half a brain already knows the buzz on the film is great from those who've seen a rough cut (in London). All the Awards sites have it high on the list of potential nominees.

It will certainly get all the nominations LS predicts. Winning is another matter, but it will likely be between Les Miz and Lincoln. Affleck will have to be happy that he was invited to the party, which he will be.

Potential December surprise: The Impossible.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 7211/23/2012

Tveit does an English accent, doesn't he? Why couldn't Seyfried and Hathaway have done the same?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 7311/23/2012

I will have to see it with my (stapled open) eyes to believe that Hathaway twat is deserving of an Oscar.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 7411/23/2012

Was the movie able to succeed with Nick Jonas being in it? I think for the movie to do well at the box office it would have needed a big name like Nick to fill seats.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 7511/23/2012

"no one wants to hear one of the lushest, most gorgeous ballads in musical history"

Judging from your description, I'm assuming the movie interpolates She Wasn't You from On A Clear Day, because you can't possibly be referring to the schlock-fest known as I Dreamed A Dream--unless you have incredibly bad taste. Let's face it, the score to Les Mis is heart-on-the-sleeve banal and hackneyed Euro-trash and nothing can redeem it.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 7611/23/2012

OP how is that hot little Eddie Redmayne fellow! I think he's adorable. Can he sing? Does he sing?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 7711/24/2012

He sings, R77, in a very high tenor voice. His rendition of "Empty Chairs At Empty Tables" is sung almost entirely in profile in one continuous take. By the end of it I could hear several people in the audience sobbing. He'll be nominated for Best Supporting Actor, as a result.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 7811/24/2012

Does Hathaway have other big moments in the film or is it just the song?

Taylor Swift was signed for this at one point. I wonder why she dropped out? I forget was she Epionine or Cosette?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 7911/24/2012

And I just attended my very first Thanksgiving with 2 miserable lesbians. I have nothing good to report.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 8011/24/2012

Marius and Enjolras are normally cast with hunky types, especially the latter. I wonder why Hooper cast shorties in both roles?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 8111/24/2012

Redmayne's kind of tall and lanky...no?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 8211/24/2012

Redmayne's 5' 11" - but he's so slight he looks shorter. He looked like he and Williams were the same height in My Week With Marilyn.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 8311/24/2012

It's going to win best picture, seriously.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 8411/24/2012

I attended the 7:30 screening tonight. Very enthusiastic audience, applause and audible sobs throughout the screening as previously mentioned.

I would like to see it again before I make any definitive judgement however. I enjoyed it, but as a child of the 80s who became so familiar with the piece, the new interchanges were jarring given their unfamiliarity, and the pacing felt very rushed.

Hugh Jackman is very very good, but imagine his nasalness on "Bring Him Home," and prepare yourself. Hathaway is fine, nothing less, nothing more. I was surprised at how modern Samantha Barks as Eponine looked, with her fresh scrubbed face and sculpted brows. Eponine seems almost superfluous to the story here. Redmayne is a standout. I wish Crowe, while surprisingly pleasant to listen to, had more gravitas to his vocal performance, particularly during "Stars."

SBC and HBC work extraordinarily well together, effectively stealing every scene they are in. Concerning the cut song in Act 2, it is Thenadier's "Dog Eats Dog," that doesn't make it. Aaron Tveit is striking, but Enjolras' material has been distributed among unnamed students in several sequences and therefore he isn't as dynamic a presence.

A handsome production, critical reception will most likely be glowing, but I honestly do wonder how it will play to the masses.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 8511/24/2012

People are going overboard. I was at the screening, and people did clap after all the big numbers and there was a standing ovation when Tom Hopper came out with the younger cast members.

But, and this is a big but, there are some rough passages in the movie. The new song adds NOTHING to the story, but will get nominated because it's the only chance in a musical category. Russell Crowe is almost embarrassing with the songs, but he gives it the old college try, so I give him a pass, but no nomination there. SBC and HBC are one joke ponies, and will not get nominated.

Neither will Redmayne who always looks retarded nor Amanda Seyfried who does nothing with a nothing role (at least Judy Kuhn on Broadway was able to project some intelligence).

The only actors to get nominations will be Hathaway (definite), Jackman (but his category is crowded) and Barks (the biggest longshot).

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 8611/24/2012

[quote]SBC and HBC

Sorry, what does that mean?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 8711/24/2012

oops never nind Sascha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 8811/24/2012

[quote]but I honestly do wonder how it will play to the masses.

We are not the masses.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 8911/24/2012

How big is Anne's part?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 9011/24/2012

but AMPAS doesn't usually reward box office disappointments for Best Picture

Can anyone think of one?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 9111/24/2012

Anne's in the film for all of 15 - 20 minutes. With all the talk about her being the front runner for this and that come award season, I have to ask: for what?

She may not have sung it pretty, but Daphne Rubin-Vega mined depths more in that poorly written part than Hathaway.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 9211/24/2012

[quote]Wow, I've actually been wrong in my predictions? What relevance does it have to this thread, though?

It's relevant because your original post (and your other posts in this thread) deals EXTENSIVELY with your Oscar predictions for this movie...

[quote]It will be hard to beat for Best Picture, Best Director (Tom Hooper), Best Actor (Hugh Jackman) and Best Supporting Actress (Anne Hathaway). The little kid who plays Gavroche should be up for Best Supporting Actor. The one new song "Suddenly" is lovely and could be up for Best Song if there's a category.

[quote]His rendition of "Empty Chairs At Empty Tables" is sung almost entirely in profile in one continuous take. By the end of it I could hear several people in the audience sobbing. He'll be nominated for Best Supporting Actor, as a result.

[quote]this will rival Lincoln in every single category. And it will win Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress. Spielberg could still win over Tom Hooper but it will be tough. Affleck will be shut out.

[quote]Hathaway's rendition of "I Dreamed A Dream" is a genuine showstopper. It's hugely touching and highly effective. She's got the lock on Best Supporting Actress now.

So, gee, Lynn, I wonder why we would possibly bring up what a pile of bullshit all your past Oscar predictions were?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 9311/24/2012

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 9411/24/2012

"Reminds me of the "Evita" screenings when everyone was saying things like "The movie is gorgeous!" "It'll win Best Picture" "Madonna will get Best Actress" and so on. But then the movie came out and... nothing happened."

Or DREAMGIRLS

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 9511/24/2012

why should we "let you" make more predictions when you've been totally wrong every time before?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 9611/24/2012

but AMPAS doesn't usually reward box office disappointments for Best Picture

they did quite recently with The Hurt Locker

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 9711/24/2012

False equivalency r97.

The Hurt Locker was hardly a film version of a hugely popular Broadway show starring famous box office names.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 9811/24/2012

[quite]How big is Anne's part?

Who cares? I want to know how big Hugh's part is. And you know which part I'm talking about.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 9911/24/2012

Found this old post of Lynn's, circa 1976.

[quote]Just got back from an EXCLUSIVE sneak peak of A Star is Born!! Streisand's a shoo-in, of course, to win the Best Actress Oscar, but the real revelations here are the gals who play the Oreos - they'll both certainly be nominated for Best Supporting Actress, so this will be a real nail-biter. The writing and direction will sweep The Oscars, and it's a very strong contender for best picture. I sat just a few seats away from Lynda Carter, who was sobbing uncontrollably through much of the movie, though that may have been due to something Jamie Farr said to her in the popcorn line. It's a shame, though. They're both such big, big talents.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 10011/24/2012

I know why everyone is shitting on Lynn, but if you look at the reactions on Twitter as well as on the Oscar blogs, you'll see that Lynn is not alone in her predictions. This really looks like it's going to tie All About Eve and Titanic with 14 nominations.

r68, TDKR is Warner Brothers, not Sony.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 10111/24/2012

[quote]Well, let me make some predictions-THIS movie will be nominated for Oscars for Best Picture, Best Actor (Jackman), Best Supporting Actress (Hathaway), Best Supporting Actor (Redmayne), Best Director, Best Screenplay Adaptation, Best Cinematography, Best Production Design, Best Make-up Design, Best Visual Effects, Best Film Editing, Best Sound and Best Sound Editing. I don't think it will be up for Best Costumes. If the Best Song category exists next year than "Suddenly" will probably slip in there.

That would mean (if you include Song and Costume Design) that it would garner 15 nominations, thereby surpassing "Titanic" and "All About Eve," the record-holders at 14. The movie would have to be REALLY good and be a box office phenomenon for that to happen.

But if you don't include Song and Costume, then it would still have an impressive 13 nominations. The last musical to have that many was "Chicago," but that movie went on to gross $170 million domestically and $306 million total. But also, "Chicago" had dance numbers and fast-paced songs and quick-cut editing that appealed to the masses and MTV generation, not to mention a delicious story about criminal celebrities. At the end of the day (pun intended, I guess), "Les Miz" is a sung-through musical and costume drama, two genres the public generally avoids.

BTW: Special effects? Did they include some alien monsters overtaking Paris? Is that what the revolution is about? :-/

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 10211/24/2012

[quote]Anne's in the film for all of 15 - 20 minutes. With all the talk about her being the front runner for this and that come award season, I have to ask: for what?

She's being considered for Supporting Actress, not lead. A supporting role can be bit parts or secondary leads. Thus, Anne's Fantine fits perfectly in that category. Plus, she's in the film longer than were Beatrice Straight (NETWORK) and Judi Dench (SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE), who won for 5-8 minutes of screen time.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 10311/24/2012

[quote]I was surprised at how modern Samantha Barks as Eponine looked, with her fresh scrubbed face and sculpted brows. Eponine seems almost superfluous to the story here.

That's been my major complaint about the musical -- Eponine's enlarged part. In the book, she's practically a nonentity and Marius barely pays attention to her, but in the musical they're best buddies. Her role in the musical was beefed up considerably and she's given her own solo (where she sings about her unrequited love for Marius) that while beautiful adds nothing to the story and in fact stalls the show. As a consequence, Cosette really gets the shaft. She's more integral to the story (in fact, is literally the poster child), but she doesn't even get a solo while all the other major characters do.

Furthermore, Eponine was beautified for the musical. In the book she's missing a few teeth, is ugly as sin, has a husky voice 'cause she drinks too much Whisky, and is rather crude and uncouth. But on stage she's always been cast as a beautiful waif, oftentimes prettier than Cosette, which really offsets the balance. We shouldn't have to question Marius' decision, but a lot of people do. Too often I hear, "Why would Marius want that ugly, boring Cosette when he can have the beautiful, feisty Eponine?!"

For the movie, since they were incorporating a lot from the book, I was hoping they'd at least make Eponine homely 'cause she should be pathetic pining for a man who's beyond her league in looks and class. Kinda like the homely high school outcast crushing on the handsome jock. Thus, I was dismayed with Samantha Barks' casting. She's not only beautiful, but has a killer body with an itty-bitty waist and ample bosom.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 10411/24/2012

[quote]IDAD is competent, but nothing extravagant. They should have dubbed her version with Aretha's. Miss Franklin bled all over those notes

Please. Aretha's version was horrible. Miss Franklin, while having a dynamic voice, has never been the best interpreter of songs, and she destroyed IDAD by turning it into her usual scream fest and running up and down the musical scale instead of singing the actual melody.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 10511/24/2012

[quote] At the end only Fantine is there to guide Javert to the "next level." Eponine appears at the very end but in a different context.

Does she put him on a tire and shoot him through the roof?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 10611/24/2012

[quote]At the end only Fantine is there to guide Javert to the "next level."

Why would Fantine be there to guide Javert? Unless you mean Valjean?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 10711/24/2012

The strange thing with Eponine in the musical is that as a child she's shown as the one the Thernadier's dote upon whilst they treat Cosette like crap. Then they grow up and it sort of reverses, and you're almost expected to care more for Eponine.

I don't think it'll sweep the awards. Cloud Atlas will win for effects and Anna Karenina will probably win for costume.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 10811/24/2012

Gavroche is one of the most annoying child roles in all of musical theatre. Hard to believe it could be a "Best Supporting Actor" role.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 10911/24/2012

People, stop shitting on Lynn, please. She has her moments of senility, but her opinions are always quite obviously hers, and not a PR shill, or an expert award watcher's.

Despite her lousy moments of recent yore (paging Marion Cotillard), her comments on Les Mis are in line with a lot of current chatter, both about the film's quality (which is a subjective judgment) and about the film's Oscar chances (which are about politics, people). Hathaway was a front runner six months ago; why wouldn't she be now that people are claiming to sob during her number?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 11011/24/2012

Sascha Baron Cohen will never be nominated for an Academy Award. He is on the short list of nevers, others being John Waters,(Hairspary should have had at least been nominated for Best Song, Best Costumes and Supporting for Travolta and Pfeiffer) but his name is attached, and Madonna, who should have been nominated numerous times for her music contribution.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 11111/24/2012

R110, thanks...I think. Heh. Why is my love for Marion Cotillard so maligned? Her performance in La Vie En Rose is one of the greatest ever on film..."Marcel. Marcel. MARCEL. MARCEL!!!!!!"

I haven't really mentioned Samantha Barks as Eponine. I disagree with a previous poster who attended the later screening, I don't think she'll be nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar. She certainly sounds great vocally and she has some good acting moments but her death isn't heartbreaking. "A Little Fall Of Rain" works because of Redmayne, the camera coverage is more of him comforting her. The little girl who plays Young Eponine looks uncannily like her, by the way, and has wonderful moments during "Master Of The House." Isabelle Allen who plays Young Cosette is terrific, too. Besides being off the charts photogenic her vocal for "Castle On A Cloud" is perfect and Hooper makes her more than a sad little girl-there are spunky moments, too.

Just remembered-Frances Ruffelle sings the lines about making money in your sleep and "That's right, dearie, show him what you got." She's heavily made-up so you'll struggle to recognize her. Another stand-out in a small role is Kate Fleetwood (she played Lady Macbeth on Broadway a few years ago) who plays the vicious factory girl who lands Fantine in a load of shit.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 11211/24/2012

Yes, of course I meant Fantine alone leads Valjean off to the "next level."

It will be nominated for visual effects because there are many set pieces requiring them. There's a lot of CGI in this since it was primarily shot on UK soundstages. One visual effect is....spoiler....

When Javert commits suicide he "crash crunches" onto an aquaduct of some kind before being sucked into the swirling water. His body makes an indentation on the aquaduct. It's a pretty fantastic moment. And that visual effect alone will secure a nomination.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 11311/24/2012

I don't think it particularly deserves a nomination for Best Costume Design because nothing stood out to me visually, which might have been a good thing, I guess. Yes, since it's a period piece it will probably get a nomination. Maybe it'll even win. Anything can happen. I'm still pissed that the rags in Game Of Thrones won the Emmy this year over the spectacular work on Boardwalk Empire.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 11411/24/2012

[quote]Sascha Baron Cohen will never be nominated for an Academy Award

He's already a nominee

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 11511/24/2012

I think one of the problems with Eponine in the film lies with the new placement of "On My Own," after the botched robbery attempt (here, she takes a letter from Cosette that she hands off to Marius before "A Little Fall of Rain"). Now, you essentially have three songs of Eponine self-pity in a row: "In My Life," "A Heart Full of Love" and "On My Own," and it's a bit redundant at that point.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 11611/24/2012

Could some one who saw the screening tell me how Russell Crowes singing STARS was?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 11711/24/2012

Lynn Stairmaster, I'm not so sure CGI set pieces will be enough to garner it a nomination, which I think will go to CGI-laden movies like "Avengers," "Dark Knight Rises," "Skyfall," "Spider-Man," "Prometheus." Two years ago, "Black Swan" also featured a lot of seamless CGI, but it wasn't nominated.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 11811/24/2012

Lynn is still high on her Iron Lady poppers from last year. I don't think she's going to turn out to be Nate Silver this year though.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 11911/24/2012

Honey, Anne Hathaway deserves an Oscar for just singing, "I dreamed a dream" alone. Damn, very good singing performance!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 12011/24/2012

r11, Lincoln wasn't all that.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 12111/24/2012

r39, you are so off on this.

As someone who has seen Les Miz 4x in the theatre I should say that Jackman is not the obvious choice. Physically I would have reversed Jackman and Crowe for ValJean and Javert. Jackman seemed way to pretty for ValJean. But I don't think Crowe could handle the singing responsibilities. I don't think he can even handle Stars but I will wait to see it to judge.

I felt the same way about Hathaways casting initially. But given acting in a film under the circumstances, I'm okay with Fantine not belting out I Dreamed a Dream.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 12211/24/2012

Do you remember what sort of interactions there were Enjolras and Grantaire? (Were their deaths together like in the book?)

Also, what sort of interactions were their between Grantaire and Gavroche?

What sort of bits do you remember from the other Barricade Boys?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 12311/24/2012

Crowe sings in a band, he knows how to sing.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 12411/24/2012

R122 That's great that you're okay with her singing. No one said you didn't have to be.

However, some simply find her vocals underwhelming.

No one is "off" on anything. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 12511/24/2012

Singing in a band is not like singing "Stars" for Les Miz

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 12611/24/2012

"This really looks like it's going to tie All About Eve and Titanic with 14 nominations."

Maybe in a parallel universe.

This is such a fantard thread.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 12711/24/2012

[quote]And it will win Best Picture,

That's conceivable, maybe, if it's as good as you say.

[quote]Best Actor

Absolutely not.

[quote]and Best Supporting Actress.

No.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 12811/24/2012

[quote]Except it won the Golden Globe for Best Picture Musical, Best Song and Best Actress Musical for Madonna.

Why, those are even more coveted prizes than the legendary People's Choice Awards!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 12911/24/2012

They should have shot this in 70MM!!!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 13011/24/2012

[quote]Russell Crowe is almost embarrassing with the songs,

How can this be? He's a #1 rock'n'roll superstar!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 13111/24/2012

Who died and made Lynn Stairmaster the queen of the movies?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 13211/24/2012

This movie is giving the broadway queens, shower nozzle masturbation material for weeks!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 13311/24/2012

So Lynn is a woman? I assumed that the DL posts were from a guy.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 13411/24/2012

W&W R106 I adore you!!!!!!!!!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 13511/24/2012

Ruthie Henshall should have been Fantine!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 13611/24/2012

Anne Hathaway has to contend with Susan Boyle! This won't end well.

I just don't want her to win because she's so fucking incredibly insincere with every word that comes out of her fucking mouth.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 13711/24/2012

Jackman is a mediocre actor at best. All of his dramatic turns have been embarrasing (Remember The Fountain?). No way he is on the same level as Day-Lewis or Phoenix this year, and I don't think anyone has won a lead Oscar for a completely sung-through role (I can only remember Joel Grey for Cabaret).

Hathaway is winning. The prize was hers from the moment those pics of her short hair on the set made the rounds. Like Lawrence, she will benefit from being part of one of the year's biggest hits. Perfect narrative.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 13811/24/2012

r137

She loves the gays!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 13911/24/2012

Will this put Hathaway's proposed Judy Garland bio flick GET HAPPY back on the front burner?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 14011/24/2012

r140

Hopefully not.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 14111/24/2012

More info from me, Lynn S.! Queen Elizabeth II and President Obama were both at the very first public screening with me, and they both uttered forth writhing screams of ecstasy after every song! The queen was so thrilled she nearly exploded into flames after "Castle on a Cloud"! Not just the performances were perfect but everything else was too! Expect special categories of Oscars like Best Extra and Best Key Grip to be created just to award this film with even more honors!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 14211/24/2012

What you talkin about Lynne.

When did Lillibet hit the American shore?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 14311/24/2012

R142, you make a rather pitiful impostor. Please disregard the fraud above, as well as the ones who claim that my pussy stinks or that I'm eating shit out of a bowl. The wrath I've incurred on this has been quite fascinating.

Les Miserables doesn't open in the UK until Jan 11th? Poor Brits.

Yes, forgot that Thenardier's song "Dog Eat Dog" was cut. I wonder if S B C shot it and it might re-appear on the DVD. The "Turning" song sung by the Women of Paris is also not in the fil.. I think a section of "Drink With Me" was cut, too. Hooper wisely keeps the sentimentality of that at bay.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 14411/24/2012

R119, high on my Lady poppers? I'm assuming you're referring to The Iron Lady? It was always obvious to me that Streep would win for that. Nothing came close, in my opinion, to that performance. Davis' win would have been for her body of work thus far. I do think Jackman has an uphill battle to win against Day Lewis. He'll certainly get the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical. I can't underestimate the palpable emotion of the crowd watching this movie yesterday. Yes, a lot of them were theater geeks (I don't include myself among them) and they were beyond psyched to see it but a lot weren't theater geeks. This movie has a visceral emotional power that will stay with you for a long time. I think Jackman COULD benefit from that. I think voters will adore this movie so much they'll tick most of the boxes for everything it gets nominated for. I know I would. Tom Hooper is a phenomenal director (I love his movie The Damned United almost as much if not more than The King's Speech). He just goes from strength to strength.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 14511/24/2012

"Turning" is cut? Sorry to hear that but I can understand that rather small piece of song might be cut from the film. always thought that was a nice little add on for the girls of the chorus.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 14611/24/2012

"This movie has a visceral emotional power that will stay with you for a long time."

Shill speak

"I think voters will adore this movie so much they'll tick most of the boxes for everything it gets nominated for."

Shill speak, part 2. Only theater dweebs will care about this horseshit.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 14711/24/2012

Ok, ok, it seems to me that people shitting all over Les Mis on this thread haven't seen the movie, have no desire to see the movie, have always hated the show, or are simpily living in an alternate universe. Any fool can see, and no you don't have to be a theater queen to realize this, that Les Mis is going to be Oscar's darling and a massive hit. I believe everything Lynn says. It's late release and lack of competition at the time of its late release is going to work in its favor. The only 2 other contenders for the Oscar BP are Argo and Lincoln, two excellent, Oscar-worthy films released way before Christmas. When Les Mis shoves them aside, they could be forgotten.

To deny this is simply arrogant and your typical grist-to-the-mill Datalounge negative nancy twaddle. Get a clue, Les Mis will be enjoying beaucoup nominations, Jackman will be a lock for a Best Actor nom and Ann Hathaway will win. Come on, it's the Oscars - it's not that hard to predict.

The live show has been seen and adored by millions of people internationally for over 20 years. It's going to be a mega hit.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 14811/24/2012

[quote] Shill speak, part 2. Only theater dweebs will care about this horseshit.

Your ignorance is infinite.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 14911/24/2012

R145, you're insufferable.

Jackman isn't even a dead cert for the GG which he could easily lose to Bradley Cooper, since neither one of them will be Oscar nominated.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 15011/24/2012

For R123, Enjolras and Grantaire are shot together. Backed into a corner in the Cafe Musain, Enjolras faces his eminent death. Guns raised, Grantaire pushes through and joins him and Enjolras holds the red flag high. They are shot together, Enjolras stumbling backward through an open window, hanging over the flag now crumpled beneath him; a nice blend of material from the novel and staging from the show.

Another notable change is during the "Dawn of Anguish" sequence. Enjolras bids those who wish not to die to leave, which is met by a reprise of "Do You Hear the People Sing," in solidarity for their now doomed fate, rather than the musical's original weepy segment of goodbyes.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 15111/24/2012

"All the heart and happiness of the Broadway hit!"

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 15211/24/2012

for r150:

[quote]And then there’s Hugh Jackman. He’ll be nominated for Best Actor and will likely win. The movie hangs on him, and he carries it from beginning to end. It’s his best work ever, the pinnacle for him as he combines his musical and dramatic talents. Hooper said in the Q&A he wouldn’t have made the movie if Jackman didn’t exist, and he’s right. This is the role of a lifetime

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 15311/24/2012

That is a rididulous, shill review. The role of a lifetime? the role wasn't even tony-worthy on stage! Most Valjeans get upsatged by the women and Javert, the most interesting character, musically and dramatically, IMO. Hathaway is getting the most praise and will probably be the only acting win for the film.

The best work of Jackman's career is not saying much. His shallow acting and weak singing have gotten a pass from women and showqueens for years because of his charisma and looks. Maybe Hooper finally got a decent performance out of him. The only reason I'm betting on a nod for him is because of how big this project is, not because of this myth that he is some kind of amazing triple threat, beloved by all.

And remember that the reactions are from an audience that was, for the most part, bound to love the film, just like Dreamgirls, Evita, Nine. I'll wait for the real reviews to see wich actor, besides Hathaway, is going to get an Oscar nomination.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 15411/24/2012

OP- everyone who is saying you were wrong were the same people who said that Sandy would only be a light rainstorm

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 15511/24/2012

Some perspective here: I remember early screenings of Dreamgirls were met with similar rhapsodic praise and it went on to win only two awards, supp. actress and sound mixing.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 15611/24/2012

[quote]The best work of Jackman's career is not saying much. His shallow acting and weak singing have gotten a pass from women and showqueens for years because of his charisma and looks.

Wow, did you get turned down by Hugh or something? A little hostile for no reason.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 15711/24/2012

r154 is pretty on the money.

A friend who saw him noted that Jackman started his one-man Broadway show singing offstage, and how unremarkable-to-barely-adequate his voice sounded. But once Jackman got onstage his charm and physical magnetism made up for it.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 15811/24/2012

Not at all, r157. I agree with the poster you're citing. He's a very handsome man, and he's very memorable in one role (Wolverine, which he's by this point sucked dry in four now going on five movies), but he's otherwise fairly charisma-free on screen, and I think no one who is not a fangurl can claim he's a heavyweight actor.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 15911/24/2012

One thing that will certainly counteract the enthusiasm of overenthusiastic fangurls like Lynn Stairmaster is that despite the popularity of the stage show, it's a real love-it-or-hate-it score (much as is also true with the scores for such other wildly popular stage shows of the 80s as "Cats," "Phantom of the Opera," and "Miss Saigon"). "I Dreamed a Dream" (and perhaps also "Can't You Hear the People Sing?") is by now a standard, and there are certain songs in the film that are quite catchy (e.g. "Master of the House"). But many of the songs are genuinely terrible (e.g. "Castle on a Cloud"): as a friend of mine once pointed out, "Everything in it besides 'I Dreamed a Dream' sounds like a funeral march."

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 16011/24/2012

Everyone is ripping on DREAMGIRLS like it flopped awards wise, but wasnt it nominated for eight Academy Awards. And wasn't it the most nominated film that year? Its not like.it was the film version of RENT or THE PRODUCERS.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 16111/24/2012

Dreamgirls, R161, may have received 8 nominations, but 3 of them were for best song. It received no nominations for best picture, director, screenplay, editing, cinematography. The only major noms were for supporting actor and actress.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 16211/24/2012

Wow, these pro/anti Jackman arguments are interesting. The guy provokes passionate opinions.

I adored Jackman in The Boy From Oz on Broadway. His commitment was extraordinary and very touching. I saw him at the National Theatre's production of Oklahoma and thought he was good-looking but not "rough" enough for Curley. I haven't thought much of him in any of his film work-until now. His performance of "Why Me?" along with the brilliant camerawork made me think, for the first time, "WOW. This guy IS the real deal on film."

Neither he nor Crowe have particularly good voices on display in Les Miserables. "Bring Him Home" doesn't sound all that pretty because Jackman's voice has a hollow sound without natural musicality. It more than passes muster, though. Crowe's singing is more problematic. Everything he sings sounds like it's in a very narrow key (including "Stars") and he doesn't seem to grasp the internal rhythm of singing. As I said in the original post he looks great (those eyes!) and acts well facially (there is no dialogue at all in this film). The reviews for him will be interesting. Jackman will receive huge acclaim, mark my words.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 16311/24/2012

Not at all, r157.

Like r159 said, he was a great Wolverine and that's it. He is charismatic but that doesn't make him a good actor. Hooper, though not a very exciting or visionary director, is competent and on ocasions can get really great performances from his actors, but when I saw that behind the scenes video and noticed how Jackman "turned it on" while showing Hooper's aproach to one of Valjean's songs my worries about him began... again: shallow and false, like one poster feels about Hathaway in general. I know, it was a silly bit in a behind the scenes video, but that's how I've felt about his acting since I saw him on Broadway, outside the X-men movies.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 16411/24/2012

I wish they cast someone not quite as hideous as Eddie Redmayne for the role of Marius.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 16511/24/2012

[quote]Wow, these pro/anti Jackman arguments are interesting. The guy provokes passionate opinions.

"passionate"? You can summarize my post on him (and others on here too) as "Pretty, and memorable as Wolverine; but otherwise, meh." That's hardly passionate.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 16611/24/2012

it's really funny how appalled Datalounge is about the prospect of this film being a success... I mean presumably the horror is coming from people who are passionate about musical theater, so don't you think that the success of this movie is actually in your best interests?

A big budget musical is never going to satisfy a musical theater purist, because in order for the movie to succeed financially, it has to reach a broad audience. They have to figure out how to fill those seats with 15 year old girls and 45 year old women, and the boyfriends and husbands and parents and children of those people and 95% of the people who they need to get into those seats do not give a flying fuck about steven sondheim or the excised songs or Patti LuPone or Anne Hathaway's "chops"

If it fails, Hollywood is not going to say "oh we should have catered more to the theater queen demographic" No, Hollywood is going to say, "musicals are a waste of time, then greenlight Paranormal Activity 16 and maybe an "ALF" movie

In a way the collective delusion on Datalounge that this movie will fail, despite mounting evidence to the contrary, is similar to th right wings collective delusions about winning the presidency, including the wack-a-doodle notion that the way to success is to cater to the unrealistic expectaions of the fringe.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 16711/24/2012

Dreamgirls was supposed to be a smash hit, with people predicting nominations in all of the 4 acting categories, picture, director and screenplay. Hudson was even predicted to win before anyone saw even one scene of the film, based on the power of "And I'm telling you" and her voice alone. They were right, just like it will happen to Hathaway this year. Hathaway, like Hudson is also part of whatr seems like a weak year for supporting actress (though I wonder if Hudson would have won if Meryl ran in the supporting category for Prada).

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 16811/24/2012

Wow, r167... you've really gone through the looking glass.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 16911/24/2012

How long is it? Wasn't the musical 16 hours long? What on Earth would you cut?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 17011/24/2012

Hathaway, like Hudson is also part of whatr seems like a weak year for supporting actress

???

This is one of the strongest years ever for Best Supporting Actress.

Sally Field for "Lincoln"

Jessica Lange for "Therese Raquin"

Frances McDormand for "The Promised Land"

Amy Adams for "The Master"

Maggie Smith for "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"

Olivia Williams for "Hyde Park on Hudson"

Jackie Weaver for "Silver Linings Playbook"

I don;t know how I'd choose among them.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 17111/24/2012

[quote]though I wonder if Hudson would have won if Meryl ran in the supporting category for Prada

Hudson would have won. Her cinderella story was irresistible for voters. She swept everything, including the NYFCC award and even the BAFTA.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 17211/24/2012

It was 2 hrs 50 minutes, I think.

I think I would have cut the new song, frankly, although it's pretty and is of a piece with the rest of the material. It's a song Valjean sings with a sleeping Young Cosette as they travel on a horse and carriage to Paris. I realize this was Hopper's idea to have a song in there to depict Valjean's newly-found devotion to this child but I don't think it's entirely necessary.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 17311/24/2012

Hollywood has never had a more severe case of Oscar buyer's remorse than when they awarded the prize to a very weak actress who simply sang a famous song very well - Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls. Believe me, they will not repeat the same mistake with Ms. Hathaway.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 17411/24/2012

Got my Valjean songs mixed up, sorry. I meant to bring up "Valjean's Soliloquy (What Have I Done?)" as the first extraordinary moment in Jackman's performance. "Who Am I?" is fabulous, too, but that's a bit later on.

Had a look at the song list and I wouldn't have cut anything else besides "Dog Eat Dog," "Turning" and "Suddenly."

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 17511/24/2012

In terms of winning, I can only see Hathaway. Sally Field is not winning a third oscar, her co-star might, she won't. Neither is Hunt, the nomination will be the reward, a welcome back sort of thing.

Weaver is not oscar worthy in Silver Linings, I don't know where that came from. The buzz for "Hyde Park" died a long time ago. There hasn't been a word about "Theresa Raquin" or "Promise Land" and I don't think the sentiment is strong enough to give two-time winner Maggie Smith a third oscar for something like "Marigold Hotel", not over what it seems like a tear-jerking performance from a young, hot actress like Hathaway, the kind that the academy likes to reward in the supporting category.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 17611/24/2012

I'm sure they added a new song so it could possibly get an Oscar nod. None of the other songs are eligible.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 17711/24/2012

[quote] Hollywood has never had a more severe case of Oscar buyer's remorse than when they awarded the prize to a very weak actress who simply sang a famous song very well - Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls. Believe me, they will not repeat the same mistake with Ms. Hathaway.

What an ignorant statement. Ann Hathaway is a prior nominee with far more experience and respect as an actress than Jennifer Hudson.

Really, can we complete this thread without mentioning DREAMGIRLS one more time? Just because they're musicals doesn't mean they have anything in common. You're really going to compare the film versions of a modest Broadway hit versus an international theatrical phenomenon? Why has nobody mentioned the success of Chicago? 10 years ago a musical blockbuster that everyone underestimated wound up taking the big prize and is today the second most successful film musical of all time.

As for Hugh Jackman, he may have had many lightweight roles, but this is by far the most intense role he's ever been given. You really can't compare Les Mis with Wolverine or Kate & Leopold or Van Helsing. He will either flop of excel, and right now it looks like he's leaning towards excelling.

It's very telling that the people who expect this to flop have never read the book, seen the show or even heard anything but Susan Boyle singing I Dreamed a Dream.

Bet on Les Mis being huge, kids.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 17811/24/2012

Hathaway is practically slobbering all over everyone in her desperation to win an Oscar. She's working it way too much and that approach has backfired in the past.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 17911/24/2012

Saw both movies and as good as Jackman is, it's nothing close to DDL's Lincoln.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 18011/24/2012

[quote]It's very telling that the people who expect this to flop have never read the book, seen the show

I've read the book and seen the show.

This will flop.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 18111/24/2012

Well, r179, It worked for ME!

ME!!

MEEEEEEEEEE!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 18211/24/2012

[quote]Really, can we complete this thread without mentioning DREAMGIRLS one more time? Just because they're musicals doesn't mean they have anything in common. You're really going to compare the film versions of a modest Broadway hit versus an international theatrical phenomenon?

Then let's talk about PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, another international theatrical phenomenon.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 18311/24/2012

I think Judi Dench will be nominated for Skyfall. But Hathaway will win. It's a done deal. Sorry if this sounds arrogant but it's as obvious to me as when I saw Streep play Thatcher.

Another random observation-the film still doesn't make clear exactly what the revolt is for except the hot guy students are pissed about something. At least the screenplay adaptor William Nicholson (along with Hooper?) has the funeral of a high-up military figure as an event which causes the tension between the military and the students to boil over.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 18411/24/2012

DDL is winning for Lincoln. Period. Great performance in otherwise mediocre film.

He is the best actor of his generation, by far.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 18511/24/2012

actually r182 Melissa Leo did almost the opposite. She sat back and collected critcs award after critics award...became the front runner and seemed liked this really accomplised talented actress and then a few weeks before the ceremony she started complaining that she wasn't getting enough magazine covers or wasn't being treated like a glamour girl. She didn't campaign she kind of anti-campaigned....the buzz on Oscar night was that if she loses it will be because she annoyed people so.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 18611/24/2012

r183, once Joel Schumacher and Gerard Butler were attached to the film of the Phantom of the Opera, everyone knew it was doomed for failure. The buzz for Les Mis is not the same.

r185, I think DDL will win too. But don't bet against a nomination at least for HJ.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 18711/24/2012

R186 is right. Leo kept winning, and after she got the SAG there was a month left 'til the Oscars, but in that period she started complaining about not being on magazine covers like her co-star Amy Adams and other younger, pretty actresses. She also went so far as to pay for her own "glamor shots." This turned off many people, including a couple anonymous Academy members that Entertainment Weekly spoke to in their final Oscar issue, which came out the week of the Oscars. Thus, EW predicted that Hailee Steinfeld would take it.

But before then, she just went along with the wave of appraisals and won the Critics Choice, Golden Globe, and SAG in succession. She wasn't actively campaigning.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 18811/24/2012

R178 Lay off the Tina. DREAMGIRLS ran on Broadway for four years and has had numerous roadshow revivals. That's a "modest" hit?

No one mentions CHICAGO because it was an incredibly weak year for movies. No competition. And it's a pretty shitty movie. The original broadway production got clobbered by the success of A CHORUS LINE. The 1996 revival was a far bigger success and led to the movie actually getting greenlighted.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 18911/24/2012

[quote]Sascha Baron Cohen will never be nominated for an Academy Award... He's already a nominee

Yes, you're right. I meant after his Red Carpet stunt pouring ashes over Ryan Secrest and coming "in character". Doubt he'll even be invited back again.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 19011/24/2012

[quote]The role of a lifetime? the role wasn't even tony-worthy on stage!

Bullshit. Wilkinson was nominated for Best Actor. The fact that he lost to the season's darling, Robert Lindsay, doesn't mean that the ROLE isn't Tony-worthy. There is SO FUCKING MUCH idiocy going on in this thread.

[quote]No one mentions CHICAGO because it was an incredibly weak year for movies. No competition. And it's a pretty shitty movie.

More utter bullshit. The nominees that year, besides CHICAGO, were THE GANGS OF NEW YORK, THE HOURS, THE PIANIST, and THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS.

CHICAGO is an excellent film. It deserved its win.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 19111/24/2012

Make sure you all go to see "The Guilt Trip" before seeing Les Mis, ok?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 19211/24/2012

Dear r174, Ms Hathaway as the evil cunt wife who sent her gay husband off to be killed in BBM was no lightweight.

That one phone scene was nomination worthy.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 19311/24/2012

Hathaway was BRILLIANT singing "I Dreamed A Dream" in Les Miserable. I would be shocked if she didn't win an Oscar for that scene. Those criticizing her, haven't seen the film yet.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 19411/24/2012

[quote]More utter bullshit. The nominees that year, besides CHICAGO, were THE GANGS OF NEW YORK, THE HOURS, THE PIANIST, and THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS.

[quote]CHICAGO is an excellent film. It deserved its win.

Funny how all these 'excellent' films just faded into obscurity. GANGS is Marty's weakest film; THE RINGS trilogy is something that hardly anyone except Tolkin fans will want to re-watch; THE HOURS is another polite, but unremarkable, adaptation of a book; CHICAGO is a pedestrian adaptation of a musical, and Polanski has made much better films than THE PIANIST.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 19511/24/2012

R191

THE PIANIST is a great movie, but they already awarded Best Picture to SCHINDLERS LIST not even ten years prior.

THE HOURS was a filler nom.

Many felt GANGS, while good, was far from Scorcese's best work.

TWO TOWERS wasn't going to win, because they were waiting for Jackson's last movie to richly reward him for his work on all three(and they did).

That left CHICAGO. Add to that Harvey Weinsteins backing, and there you have the win.

If you're going to extol the virtues of Renee Zellweger and Richard Gere's musical abilities, then the one truly spouting idiocy on this thread is you.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 19611/24/2012

For those who think Jackman isn't substantial enough an actor even get nominated, I have two words: Sandra Bullock.

Now four more: won over Meryl Streep.

Of course, Streep was giving one her hammiest, most ill-conceived performances that year, but still - Sandra Bullock won because everyone loves her, and she consistently brings in the crowds. Kind of like Jackman.

In Jackman's case, he'd be up against a truly great film performance, DDL in Lincoln, and Bullock wasn't but I think he'll easily be nominated.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 19711/24/2012

Yentl deserved to win, too. It won the Golden Globe for Best Picture and Best Director, but wasn't even nominated for an Oscar.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 19811/24/2012

[quote] That one phone scene was nomination worthy.

The one where the "middle age" make-up was lacquered on so heavily that she looked like a clown as she struggled to deliver her monologue?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 19911/24/2012

It's a piece of shit - they don't even turn around in circles. Skip it!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 20011/24/2012

If Hathaway and the film are half as good as the hype she'll be a slam dunk for the supporting win. DDL-Spielberg-Kushner are shoo-ins at this point for Oscars in their categories; Hooper just won two yrs ago after coming seemingly out of no place. He’s still young (just 40) and a force to be reckoned with but the Academy won’t reward him so soon after The King’s Speech. Hathaway will be rewarded as his and the films proxy.

R174 Hathaway is no J Hudson. She’s not a newcomer whose only previous public exposure was coming in 3rd on AI. She’s been around putting in solid performances for years, is known “in town” as reliable and hard-working and is previously nominated. Its hers to lose at this point.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 20111/24/2012

[quote]If Hathaway and the film are half as good as the hype she'll be a slam dunk for the supporting win.

Thanks for weighing in, PR shill!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 20211/24/2012

and I agree with the previous poster about her work in BBM – understated and solid in a small but pivotal role. She’s put in some decent performances. It’s her time- as long as she doesn’t “overmilk” the PR machine and annoy the voters, as she is at time wont to do.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 20311/24/2012

She's good, IMO. I always like her and she's a classic beauty and there aren't many like that, right now.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 20411/24/2012

Anne Hathaway will not win an Oscar. Put down the crack pipe, ya'll.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 20511/24/2012

[quote]I've read the book and seen the show. This will flop.

Honey, you're just trolling. You have zero justifaction fo rpredicting a flop. And it took Meryl Streep 28 years to win her third Oscar and she only has two Best Actress. Daniel Day Lewis won his second Best Actor just five years ago. It will factor in.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 20611/24/2012

[quote] Anne Hathaway will not win an Oscar. Put down the crack pipe, ya'll.

like they said about Sandra Bullock for years.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 20711/24/2012

r205 is posting from the line for his 3rd viewing of Twilight this weekend.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 20811/24/2012

R201 Meanwhile, Jennifer Hudson won every single major supporting actress award that year.

I like Hathaway, but let's get real, she ain't going to top that. Field's been everywhere promoting her movie. She's just as well liked in the industry, and has been praising DDL and Spielberg to the hilt. Plus, she's been working in the aging actress "almost lost the role because I was too old" angle like crazy.

Sally doesn't go down without a fight. This is FAR from a lock.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 20911/24/2012

I hope Anne Hathaway does win an Oscar. Maybe it'll cause her to choke on her smug sense of self-satisfaction.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 21011/24/2012

what I want to know is how a goofball like her got a snotty diva like Christian bale out of his trousers off-set when they worked together. Seriously he is one of the biggest pains ever.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 21111/24/2012

Maybe she sucks like a Hoover.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 21211/24/2012

That's a good point about Sally, r209. She's a formidable opponent. She's won every Oscar she's been nominated for.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 21311/24/2012

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is not going to be a blockbuster hit. The musical is just too familiar a property to draw that much of a crowd.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 21411/24/2012

Didn't a version come out less than 10 years ago? I seem to recall Liam Neeson, Uma Thurman, and....ugh...Claire Danes!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 21511/24/2012

"Let's face it, the score to Les Mis is heart-on-the-sleeve banal and hackneyed Euro-trash and nothing can redeem it."

Well, it took 76 posts, but finally somebody has some sense.

As someone else said, with the exception of one or two numbers, they're all dirges.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 21611/24/2012

Well it's called Les Miserables not Les Good Time Charlies, duh.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 21711/24/2012

NOT WITHOUT MY OSCAR!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 21811/24/2012

[quote]Well it's called Les Miserables not Les Good Time Charlies, duh.

All those dirges are sure to pack 'em in the aisles.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 21911/24/2012

Jennifer Hudson didn't com in 3rd on American Idol. She came in like 7th.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 22011/24/2012

It will be amusing to return here in February to gloat. Well, not gloat, perhaps, just bask in the satisfaction of having been right.

Les Miserables will be a monster hit. Return business will be enormous. The DVD will be one of the all-time best sellers.

Hugh Jackman will be nominated for a Best Actor Oscar and if he wins Meryl Streep will comically swoon when presenting it to him.

Anne Hathaway will win the Best Supporting Actress Golden Globe, BAFTA (the Brits will forgive her for "ruining" that movie where she did a piss-poor Yorkshire accent).

I'll leave you kids to it for now.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 22111/24/2012

[quote]It will be amusing to return here in February to gloat. Well, not gloat, perhaps, just bask in the satisfaction of having been right.

You mean that it will 15 Academy Awards, more than any other film ever? That's what you predicted upthread.

We're going to hold you to that. You don't get to choose and pick among your predictions. You predicted a full 15 Oscar wins.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 22211/24/2012

[quote] Yentl deserved to win, too.

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 22311/24/2012

Oh Lynn, doll, you've never been right and no one takes you seriously.

There's going to be a lot of hysterical music theater queens when Lincoln sweeps everything on Oscar night.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 22411/24/2012

[quote]I've been here 12 years, and that is the dumbest line of reasoning I have ever read on this site.

Surely no dumber than Les Miz will win 15 Oscars.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 22611/24/2012

[quote]He is the hammiest actor of his generation, by far.

There, I fixed if for you, R185

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 22811/24/2012

I love Lynn's inside scoops, but for such an insider, he or she has dubious taste when it comes to movies.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 22911/24/2012

[quote] once Joel Schumacher and Gerard Butler were attached to the film of the Phantom of the Opera, everyone knew it was doomed for failure. The buzz for Les Mis is not the same.

not everyone thought that way r187....that Ocsar website that Davbe Poland and others at the time had it listed as the Oscar front runner (until it came out) and Gerard Butler was given they benefit of the doubt...no one knew he couldn't sing until we heard it in the movie.

How did he ever get that part anyway? Schumacher must have wanted to fuck him. I mean he's hunky but why do you need a hunk in a role that wears a mask? They should have hired some fine singer no matter what he looked like.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 23011/24/2012

There was an 11am one at the academy that I was at.

I'll agree it was wonderful and Hugh Jackman is giving the greatest performance in a movie musical since Liza or Joel Grey in CABARET.

The problem, for me, was Anne hathaway. As soon as she was fired, she just turned the tears on and played one note the whole time.

The audience should cry, Ms. Hathaway, not you. At least not the whole damn time.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 23111/24/2012

I didn't predict a full 15 Oscar wins, R222. I predicted 15 nominations. Learn to read English, darling, and you might get on in the world.

I predict Les Miserables will win 11 Oscars. How's that?

Over and out until February.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 23211/24/2012

Those dirges have been packing them in the aisles for what, thirty years in the West End? This thing is gonna do fine. It's a moving story if you haven't spent your life on Datalounge.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 23311/24/2012

[quote]There's going to be a lot of hysterical music theater queens when Lincoln sweeps everything on Oscar night.

Aww Honey, Jaws, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Saving Private Ryan, Munich, War Horse & even The Color Purple with 11 nominations all lost Best Picture. Spielberg is no guarantee of a win. By opening the last day for elegiblity, the momentum for Les Miz will be in full force.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 23411/24/2012

It's a sentimental story, not a moving story.

And it's not the story I have a problem with, it's the music. And the bloat.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 23511/24/2012

Is it true Anne only sings one sng and is only in the first 15 minutes?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 23611/24/2012

As someone exhausted by her, the less Anne Hathaway, the better.

She's too needy and draining in all her performances.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 23711/24/2012

There are just a lot of idiots posting here who are anti-musicals to begin with, or maybe just bitter Sondheim fans who dismiss Les Mis as trivial. And they also don't seem to realize that Les Mis has played sell out houses all over the world for over 20 years. There is something about the show that appeals to people immensely. It sounds like the show has translated very well to the screen. Look, even this one day old thread here on DL has over 230 responses. The movie is an event, and even better is that it's an event that is seeming more and more to be a quality piece of filmmaking.

To that select few of morons who are praying the Rosary while looking at a picture of Sally Field, it doesn't matter what you think - a fact is a fact. Les Mis will be a blockbuster and showered with Oscar nominations and several wins.

It's a no brainer, folks. But go ahead, bet against it. I'll be bumping this thread in February for sure.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 23811/24/2012

R236, she plays Fantine, who has about six songs in the musical.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 23911/24/2012

I don't think anyone is actively betting against it, R238. They're just debating the questionable response by Lynn, and some of the more troubling elements like Hathaway and Crowe.

Have YOU seen the film yet?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 24011/24/2012

David Poland is still trying to live down his PHANTOM predictions. He even had the Godawful Emmy Rossum as a Supporting pick (I think he wanted to fuck her or something, nothing else could explain it).

When the overwhelming reports from others who saw the screenings was bad, he was genuinely shocked.

Stung, he's now got Les Miz at #7 on his list, while all his other Gurus o'Gold have it in their top 5.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 24111/24/2012

You do that r238.

Let me guess, you're the one who predicted the Romney landslide?

HAHAHAHHA

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 24211/24/2012

From the Showbiz:

"Cheers and a standing ovation this afternoon at the first screening of the film version of “Les Miserables.” Tom Hooper, Oscar winner for The King’s Speech, has made a thrilling, sensational epic of the legendary Broadway show. This now becomes the “Titanic” of this year’s awards season, the epic film to beat. Hugh Jackman is a triumph as Jean Valjean, Anne Hathaway stops the show, and sings the heck out of the film’s big numbers, and Samantha Barks just about steals the film. Russell Crowe makes for a solid Javert. And the many supporting players, especially Aaron Tveit, Eddie Redmayne and Amanda Seyfried, are top notch."

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 24311/24/2012

[quote]Those dirges have been packing them in the aisles for what, thirty years in the West End?

Yet again: Andrew Lloyd Webber's has been packing them in to the West End to see PHANTOM OF THE OPERA for thirty years too. And yet it was a disaster at the movie box office.

You've got to abandon this ridiculous argument that just because a show is popular on Broadway or in the West End that will automatically translate into film success. If that were true, then A CHORUS LINE and RENT would have been giant film hits instead of massive flops.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 24411/24/2012

I have a feeling this will seriously underperform.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 24511/24/2012

I just saw the SAG screening at the Chinese in Hollywood. It played well. Huge applause at the end -- especially for the director and Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway and Sascha Baron Cohen. Embarrassingly light applause for Russell Crowe and Amanda Seyfried.

But I have to say it didn't play as well as the NY screening, from the sounds of it. The movie is long -- 2 hours 45 minutes or so. And you could tell the audience lost it a couple times. There were giggles at some of the sung dialogue exchanges between Jackman and Crowe.

I've seen Lincoln too and it's an amazing, near-perfect movie. There's not a performance I would change, except maybe Sally Field, oddly enough.

Les Mis, on the other hand, has at least two mis-fires and they're big ones: Crowe and Seyfried. Does Seyfried have drug problems? Or just naturally hugely dilated pupils?

Hathaway is just spectacular. Give her the Oscar now. There's no question or doubt about it.

Jackman is certain to be nominated. Will he win? Flip a coin. It could be he or DDL.

The main problems I have are with the source material -- the musical is a big, gassy, over-written piece of schlock and there's no escaping that. But Hooper has good taste. He knows when to stop cutting and let an actor's face fill the screen. And he knows when to edit away from a problem performance.

But it definitely worked for large parts of the audience. And that's why I think it will win Best Picture. Director will go to Spielberg, Hooper just won it recently. Lincoln wins Screenplay too.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 24611/24/2012

I was happy that all fifty-something songs are intact including 'Little People'.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 24711/24/2012

[quote]Yet again: Andrew Lloyd Webber's has been packing them in to the West End to see PHANTOM OF THE OPERA for thirty years too. And yet it was a disaster at the movie box office.

That wasn't the source material's fault.

None of these screening reactions sound like Phantom's screening reactions.

Are people just so intent on Les Mis flopping that they're ignoring the buzz? Why, exactly?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 24811/24/2012

Roger Friedman has 0 credibility as a critic. His review is only to add hype to the movie. No way this will be a new Titanic, with a record breaking 15 oscar noms. Not saying that it won't win best picture or that it will flop. Just don't get carried away from the early hype.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 24911/24/2012

[quote]it's the music. And the bloat.

very true r235. We had problems with her bloat also when we did Prada.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 25011/24/2012

Plus all the pop covers of the shows hit tunes are over twenty years old now. Color Me Badd's 'Bring Him Home' and SWV's 'I Dreamed A Dream'...

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 25111/24/2012

There was no SAG screening r246 is a liar!!!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 25211/24/2012

[quote]Why, exactly?

Because

a) this buzz is coming from so far just one screening in Manhattan which seems to have been attended entirely by Broadway queens like Lynn Stairmaster (who had every line of dialogue of the stage show already memorized, apparently).

b) we went through all this a few years ago here with NINE when we were notoriously told based on preview screenings that it would sweep the Oscars, with Marion Cotillard as the absolute lock as Best Actress (she wasn't even nominated in the end).

Broadway queens ALWAYS think films based on popular musicals are going to sweep the Oscars because they're far too generous to the Broadway source material in the first place, and also because they desperately want them to be successful in order that even more stage musicals are brought to the screen. They have very little objectivity in this regard.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 25311/24/2012

R252, I promise you there was a screening for the SAG nominating committee at the Hollywood Chinese 6 at 5pm. Well attended. They even had a panel after, but we skipped out. I really don't need to hear actors asking about other actors' work. Ugh.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 25411/25/2012

ahhhh r254 the nominating committee. You didn't say that...Miss Otis and I send our regrets for calling you a liar...who was on the panel?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 25511/25/2012

Tom Hooper was the only one announced, R255. But they set up chairs for 5 before we left. Don't know who the other 4 were.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 25611/25/2012

Many people in this thread need to read r253 several times.

He's exactly right.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 25711/25/2012

Just in from the DM on Sunday:

Anne Hathaway was left red-faced when she received just one bid for a personal performance at a charity auction. The actress offered herself up as a prize for a fundraiser during President Obama’s election campaign, promising to sing Happy Birthday down the phone to the highest bidder.

But only one last-minute bid came in – for £148.

[bold] Perhaps it is no surprise. A tape of the 30-year-old star singing in the upcoming film of Les Miserables has been leaked on the internet – and those who have heard it have been less than flattering with their comments.

there's a leaked track of her singing out on the net? has anyone on DL heard it? spill please. I thought Hooper had them all sing live while filming and kept these takes in the movie.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 25811/25/2012

I heard (on the Dl of course)that the live singing didn't turn out well in spots and they had to go into the studio.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 25911/25/2012

I don't think I'm going to enjoy the casting very much. Hopefully the spectacle and otherwise compelling film choices make up for that. I'm unfortunately one of those bores who's always liked the book better (but still can't stay away from the lovely music, costumes, etc.).

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 26011/25/2012

Did Eddie Redmayne or Aaron Tveit get to blow Hugh?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 26111/25/2012

or each other?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 26211/25/2012

Entertainment journalists and that whole celebrity interviewer side of Hollywood are so bizarre to me. Just seems like they're a bunch of people who love movies but were too afraid to make the leap to an actual career in the arts, so they sit on the periphery, offering their "critiques" of the films, and running to messageboards breathlessly with the news that they were one of the first (THE FIRST!) to see a piece of art that someone else has created.

It's a weird little industry. The maggots feasting on the meat of creativity. And I say this as a twice published author and someone who has appeared both on stage and in film.

Entertainment journalists and celebrity interviewers give me the fucking creeps.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 26311/25/2012

One chair was for Tom Hooper, another was for Anne Hathaway, and the remaining three were for her ginormous ego.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 26411/25/2012

[quote]One chair was for Tom Hooper, another was for Anne Hathaway, and the remaining three were for her ginormous ego.

and her hips

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 26511/25/2012

[quote]I say this as a twice published author and someone who has appeared both on stage and in film.

My, my, my!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 26611/25/2012

R43: Colm Wilkerson

Oh dear.

By the way, kids. The Prodicers got the best grade by a test audience ever. It and Nathan Lane we'e poised to win Oscars. Didn't happen. What shouldn't be forgotten in all the hoopla is that Les Miz really isn't that great of a musical. It's boring and pretentious.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 26711/25/2012

When hope was high and life worth living I dreamed that love would never die I dreamed that God would be forgiving

Then I was young and unafraid And dreams were made and used and wasted There was no ransom to be paid No song unsung, no wine untasted

But the tigers come at night With their voices soft as thunder As they tear your hopes apart And they turn your dream to shame

Still I dream he'd come to me That we would live the years together But there are dreams that cannot be And there are storms we cannot weather

I had a dream my life would be So different from this hell I'm living So different now from what it seemed Now life has killed the dream I dreamed

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 26811/25/2012

R263, It can get a little out of hand when fluffy people attempt to do it [and/or share for no reason other than to gossip or boast], but I think critiquing art and media is extremely important on an individual level. It's ultimately irrelevant whether people other than the artist(s) "get it right." I say that as an artist myself.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 26911/25/2012

r267, in your opinion.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 27011/25/2012

In my opinion too, r270.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 27111/25/2012

Anne Horseaway is a hack.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 27211/25/2012

It is my understanding, based on the Hollywood Reporter, that Anne Hathaway is not only being considered as shoo-in for either best supporting actress or best actress, but also best minstrel, best dyke-friendly haircut, special Academy Award for Achievement, as well as the Heisman Trophy.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 27311/25/2012

[quote] Musicals on film are laughable.

That is a stupid thing to say.

[quote]Hollywood has never had a more severe case of Oscar buyer's remorse than when they awarded the prize to a very weak actress who simply sang a famous song very well - Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls.

Another stupid statement. Not a huge Hudson fan but you are the first time I've heard anyone say this.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 27411/25/2012

[/bold] Uh ... I went to the first PRODUCERS industry screening in LA (I think it screened in NYC first) - and trust me, everyone there knew what a stinker it was. It was literally DOA. Fortunately I didn't personally know Stroman or Brooks - who were there - so I didn't have to try to think of what to say to them.

I can't believe that it tested well.

And LES MIZ hasn't had any market testing. The reactions are all from industry screenings (by this point there have been about three or four).

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 27511/25/2012

And I'll thank my gay brother in my speech! Don't try that with me, Sally. I'll match you gay brother for gay son.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 27611/25/2012

Remember when Anne insulted me on my show? I will be voting for Sally.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 27711/25/2012

Supporting one's gay child is far more impressive than supporting a gay sibling, Anne dear.

And it's been over twenty years since I embarrassed myself on the Oscars. You, on the other hand, have the stench of your embarrassment hanging around from just two years ago.

Plus, I can sing, too, dammit! Hasn't anyone ever heard my wonderful recording of "Felicidad" on "The Flying Nun Sings"?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 27811/25/2012

Yeah, Anne just tries too hard but she's a total phoney. At that Q&A, in ref to shaving her hair, she says, "I just thought I looked like my gay brother." What's wrong with just "brother"?

Also R267, while Les Mis may be boring - I agree with you there - it's kind of a stretch to regard something that is so populist and straight forward as pretentious, unless you're referring to the way it's being presented with the featurette on the making of it. The material itself is anything but pretentious. It's very workman-like.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 27911/25/2012

Sally, if you lose, can you PLEASE have a Steel Magnolias funeral style breakdown when the winner's name is announced?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 28011/25/2012

I wouldn't say all musicals on film are laughable. But Les Miz is different for me, because it asks to be a masterpiece in itself while not living up to how significant I found the book. I'm trusting that Hollywood kinda sorta knows how to make it fly at this point, which may or may not be a sad sign.

Also, yeeesh. Both of those young ladies could do much better than Eddie Redmayne, going by appearances.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 28111/25/2012

[quote]Also, yeeesh. Both of those young ladies could do much better than Eddie Redmayne, going by appearances.

I agree. Redmayne was great as the awkward, aww shucks, prudish Colin Clark in "My Week with Marilyn," but he was miscast in "Les MIserables." He doesn't have the handsome looks for the part. Fans of the stage musical usually ask, "What does Marius see in Cosette?" But now moviegoers will be asking, "What do Cosette and Eponine see in Marius?"

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 28211/25/2012

Do you think Anne's night will be ruined in Jennifer Lawrence wins Best Actress? To be upstaged by someone younger and blonde!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 28311/25/2012

Anne will be ok. She'll console herself by make catty remarks at how fat Jennifer Lawrence is.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 28411/25/2012

r281, r282, are you kidding? Redmayne has perfect DSL!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 28511/25/2012

[quote]I heard (on the Dl of course)that the live singing didn't turn out well in spots and they had to go into the studio

It's called Looping. Almost all fims have sound fixed, sweetened or adjusted. Live on set recoeding is not a perfect science.

[quote]What shouldn't be forgotten in all the hoopla is that Les Miz really isn't that great of a musical. It's boring and pretentious.

Yeah, can you image how sucessful it could have been had you produced it? Such a lost opportunity.

The Hathaway hate is laughable. She loves and supports her brother every chance she gets. Chris Evans does it and he's amazing and adorable. She does it and she's a phony. Probably just bitter queen jealousy. She gets hang out with Gyllenhaal, sits at the top of the A list, gets to be both Catwoman AND Fantine in the same year to acclaim and gets to sing the song you sang by yourself through your lonely childhood.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 28611/25/2012

r286

She sings "On My Own" as well?!! What a BITCH!!!!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 28711/25/2012

Exactly R286, and she does none of it well. For me her best screen moment will always be when she gets mowed down by a truck as she rides her twee bicycle with glasses on. With a bad British dialect. She's so annoying.

R282, you must be mad. Eddie Redmayne is gorgeous.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 28811/25/2012

I am so shocked that many would ask what do Cosette and Eponine see in Marius. Redmayne may not be everyone's ideal of matinee idol handsome, but Marius doesn't have to be matinee idol handsome. Eponine's attraction to Marius in the show was always based on his kindness to her and his being a good guy, very different than any man she's ever known. As far as Cosette, Cosette has lived in a convent since puberty; Marius is one of the first young men she's ever been confronted with.

So, first of all, Marius doesn't have to be anyone's idea of sex on a stick.

Secondly, Redmayne is adorable and has every quality the character demands. If you can't see that he's damn cute and sexy, fine, but how the hell can you not see that other people, especially young women, would find him very appealing - I have no idea.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 28911/25/2012

No hate for Hathaway. She's a great actress. But her voice simply isn't up to par. What's amusing is the foaming at the mouth rage that some of you have over that.

And she's not a lock. Not when Field has been pounding the pavement promoting LINCOLN the last two weeks. Again, the beserk hostility over that is a bit too much.

The comparisons to Bullock and Streep simply don't make sense. Field has been largely absent from the big screen for a good many years. The last thing she did that made headlines was her speech at the Emmys a few years back. This is a comeback for her.

It's also an "age appropriate" screen role. No younger actress trying to play old type of deal. And the fact that she had to fight to get the role is not going to be lost on voters. She's been nothing but a team player throughout the whole promotion, praising DDL and Spielberg.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 29011/25/2012

It's beyond "age appropriate" She's ten years older than Mary, ten years older than Day-Lewis, and Mary was ten years younger than Day-Lewis.

And, I agree, as someone who expected her to possibly overact (she's a very fine actress but she can overshoot the runway at times) role, Field was excellent in Lincoln. One of her most intelligent and perfectly calibrated performances.

Whether she or Hathaway will win the oscar or whether it might go to someone else, I have no idea and I won't weigh in on that until I've seen Hathaway and some other performances. I'm particularly interested in seeing Huppert's performance in Amour, Weaver's in Silverlinings Playbook, Hunt's in The Sessions. And Dench was very good in Skyfall.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 29111/25/2012

R291, Hunt is the only one in contention from that list. The Academy is going to have enough trouble forcing themselves to nominate Amour without bringing Huppert into the equation.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 29211/25/2012

[quote]No hate for Hathaway. She's a great actress. But her voice simply isn't up to par. What's amusing is the foaming at the mouth rage that some of you have over that.

Because you're being an idiot. You are judging from her scenes in Les Miz. This is what she was hired to do. There are no big stop the show ballads, as opposed to the stage, people are crying, running and acting. And apparently she nails it, whether you like her voice or not. It's not the first time she's sung onscreen.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 29311/25/2012

I would love BOTH Sally Field and Anne Hathaway to win Best Actress...but, Anne had to cut her hair for the part, so she's the obvious choice to win. Jennifer Lawrence has plenty of time, she won't win this year.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 29411/25/2012

I attended the Lincoln Center screening and while it has much to recommend it, I think I speak for audiences worldwide when I say this is not the film version of Les Miz we were hoping for.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 29511/25/2012

[quote]Eponine's attraction to Marius in the show was always based on his kindness to her and his being a good guy, very different than any man she's ever known.

That doesn't explain her attraction to him in the book. He's actually quite dismissive of her and only utilizes her when he wants to get close to Cosette. But overall, Marius keeps her at arm's length and **spoilers** though he comforts her when she's dying, he completely forgets about her the moment she dies. She never meant anything to him nor did he see her as a friend, which is something they added for the film. In the book, Eponine is strictly attracted to Marius for his looks.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 29611/25/2012

Care to elaborate R295?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 29711/25/2012

[quote]and gets to sing the song you sang by yourself through your lonely childhood.

I love that you think everyone loves this score as much as you do. It's just unimaginable to you that other people find this score substandard--that they think the songs are depressing and melodramatic and schlocky. Your brain just can't process this: "Surely they must be lying, because [italic]everyone[/italic] secretly loves Les Miz!"

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 29811/25/2012

I love me some Sally Field, but sorry, Gidget ain't getting a third Oscar. No way. The nomination, the attention, the Red Carpet will be glory enough.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 30011/25/2012

Dreamgirls was excellent. Just because the old white guys that run the Academy didn't see fit to nominate it (back when there were only five nominees) doesn't mean it wasn't a great film musical.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 30111/25/2012

[quote]Dreamgirls was excellent. Just because the old white guys that run the Academy didn't see fit to nominate it (back when there were only five nominees) doesn't mean it wasn't a great film musical.

I thought it was really dull in the second half after Effie leaves the group. Anika Noni Rose was especially annoying as hell and I wanted Deena and Effie to repeatedly bitchlap Lorell and kick her out of the group.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 30211/25/2012

r302

I agree.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 30311/25/2012

And Eddie Murphy should have won the Academy Award.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 30411/25/2012

Yep, R304

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 30511/25/2012

R300 Are you her gay brother? Or are you Anne? There's no reason to be so damn angry otherwise, so give it a rest and take a seat.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 30611/25/2012

[quote]Redmayne has perfect DSL!

Well, he should upgrade to cable. DSL is so 20th century.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 30711/25/2012

I LOVE threads where theater queens get to spread their wings and fly. Fly children, fly!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 30811/25/2012

Dreamgirls was shit, a cheap-looking flop. Hudson won the oscar because she's black, just like the Help supporting actress last year who will never be heard from again.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 30911/25/2012

How is Anika's post dreamgirls career going? That arc on good wife get her places?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 31011/25/2012

[quote]Do you think Anne's night will be ruined in Jennifer Lawrence wins Best Actress?

It will be ruined much earlier, when Sally Field wins Best Supporting Actress.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 31111/25/2012

[quote]Let's face it, it just burns a lot of idiot's asses that this is going to be a hit film. This thread is proof.

Um, you're using a Datalounge thread as "proof" that something will be a hit? ROFL....

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 31211/25/2012

[quote]Let's face it, it just burns a lot of idiot's asses that this is going to be a hit film. This thread is proof. Instead of frustrated, I'm kind of finding it amusing.

Then why do you sound so frustrated and bitter?

p.s.--

[quote]idiot's asses

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 31311/25/2012

I hated Les Miz on Broadway, although I heard it was not nearly as good as in London.

But to see all these people riled up and clearly upset that it is getting "hit" buzz makes me laugh.

Will I go see it? Yeah, probably, because I go try to see all the Oscar heavy-hitters. I have no idea what I'll think of it, seeing as I don't love the musical.

But I sure as hell am not stupid enough to claim it's going to be a flop when there is mounting evidence to the contrary.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 31411/25/2012

Hathaway's haircut for this is horrendous. Christ, she looks ugly and needs a lot of long hair.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 31511/25/2012

[quote]But I sure as hell am not stupid enough to claim it's going to be a flop when there is mounting evidence to the contrary.

Actually, there really isn't any evidence that it will be a hit, but then you already knew that. It might be; it might not; it's too soon to tell. Critical acclaim and theater queen approval does not necessarily equal hit, just as their lack does not necessarily equal flop.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 31611/25/2012

You can't know if it will be a hit or not based on industry screenings. Not saying it will or won't but what industry people think vs. the unwashed masses is a completely different thing.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 31711/25/2012

OP = Anne Hathaway

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 31811/25/2012

The music in Dreamgirls sucked.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 31911/25/2012

[quote][R300] Are you her gay brother? Or are you Anne? There's no reason to be so damn angry otherwise, so give it a rest and take a seat.

Are you an idiot or do you just play one on Datalounge? I clearly said I love Sally Field. But if it took Meryl Streep 17 nominations in 32 years to receive a third Oscar, they aren't going to give another to Field. Now simmer down.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 32011/25/2012

Saw Silver Linings Playbook today and Bradley Cooper is wonderful in it.. However now I can say that he will lose the Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical Golden Globe Award to Hugh Jackman. The Hollywood Foreign Press adores Jackman, for starters. And Jackman makes an emotional connection with audiences in this film that is really quite astonishing. Cooper doesn't make the same connection. I know, I know, apples and oranges, but I'm just calling it as I see it. Cooper will be nominated for an Oscar and there's no way he'll win it with DDL and Jackman in the mix. Another year he might have won it.

Can Jennifer Lawrence sing? If she does she would have made a hell of an Eponine.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 32111/25/2012

[quote]But if it took Meryl Streep 17 nominations in 32 years to receive a third Oscar, they aren't going to give another to Field. Now simmer down.

It only took Walter Brennan four years: he won in '36, '38, and '40.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 32211/25/2012

It's been 33 years since Sally's first Oscar.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 32311/25/2012

Using Meryl Streep as the guidepost by which actors should receive Oscars is ludicrous.

Sally Field could very well win her third this year.

And DDL WILL most likely win his third - three, all for leading, and the third coming just a few years after the second.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 32411/25/2012

I thought Cooper's shot at Best Actor was iffy. That's one of the most crowded fields of potential nominees.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 32511/25/2012

You know I've been posting here that DDL would win his 3rd this year too, but now I'm thinking...knowing how ampas works politically they may very well decide to give it to Jackman, reasoning that this is likely his only shot at winning and DDL at the relatively young age of 50-something has many other great performances in him where they can elevate him "into the ranks".

This is based strictly on how the Academy is known to work, and not on logic or sense.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 32611/25/2012

They'll give it to DDL just so that this year's Oscar's has a headline story.

None of the movies are anything to get excited about YET AGAIN.

The cheesy triple-Oscar for DDL is the only rabbit they can pull out of the hat.

Maybe Sally Field will also win as a way to create another Big Oscar Moment.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 32711/26/2012

What about that movie The Impossible? I'm hearing buzz for Watts and Mcgregor.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 32811/26/2012

[quote] None of the movies are anything to get excited about YET AGAIN.

That's your opinion. Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, Argo and Life of Pi are all hits and all critically acclaimed.

Sorry you have baby tastes, r327. Why do you go to the movies if you hate everything?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 32911/26/2012

R34 There need not be a hard and fast 2 limit rule for winning "lead" actor. If Hugh was a strong contender they would have showed him in a more engaging scene in the promo clip since he is the lead. And who would want anyone to win just because they hosted the Oscars and the Academy has warmed to them? Hathaway does look possible for a nom. Even though people here don't seem to like what she did in the promo I think she is probably the acting strength in the movie.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 33011/26/2012

[quote] If Hugh was a strong contender they would have showed him in a more engaging scene in the promo clip since he is the lead.

Hugh Jackman is the lead but Les Mis has many characters.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 33111/26/2012

Oh my, Mr. Redmayne resembles a lizard.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 33211/26/2012

I wasn't debating that there are lot's of characters. Only saying you show pieces from the best from your lead, like they did with Fantine.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 33311/26/2012

[quote]They'll give it to DDL just so that this year's Oscar's has a headline story.

Hugh Jackman, First to win Best Actor Academy Award in a musical since Rex Harrison 48 years ago.

There's your headline.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 33411/26/2012

not going to happen---no Oscar for Hugh this year.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 33511/26/2012

I wouldn't put money on that, r335. He's definitely a contender. If the movie winds up living up to the hype, it'll be Jean Valjean versus Abraham Lincoln. Could be an unpredictable Oscar night this year!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 33611/26/2012

"But if it took Meryl Streep 17 nominations in 32 years to receive a third Oscar, they aren't going to give another to Field. Now simmer down."

That might make a modicum of sense, except for one thing. Your post makes it sound like Field won her first oscar much more recently than Streep won her first oscar.

When in fact Field won her first oscar two years before Streep won her first oscar.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 33711/26/2012

[quote]When in fact Field won her first oscar two years before Streep won her first oscar.

Huh? For Best Actress maybe, but Streep's first Oscar was for Best Supporting Actress in "Kramer vs Kramer", which she won the same year that Field won Best Actress for "Norma Rae".

Streep's first Best Actress trophy came three years later.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 33811/26/2012

I hate how the film is being promoted. I really want to see it, but in this new interview Hooper's held up as some genius for having the musical sung-through instead of having the awkward transitions between dialogue and song. Which isn't even true, there's dialogue in the new trailer. Also, so much is being made of the live singing and how "gritty" it is. Rewatch "At Long Last Love" and then defend that approach. He even criticizes The Sound of Music!

Sung-through musicals will never have the depth,nuance or wit of the best book musicals.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 33911/26/2012

[quote] Sung-through musicals will never have the depth,nuance or wit of the best book musicals.

M

A

R

Y

!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 34011/26/2012

[quote]Hugh Jackman, First to win Best Actor Academy Award in a musical since Rex Harrison 48 years ago.

[quote]There's your headline.

Yes, for the [italic]Fantasyland Fangurl Times.[/italic]

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 34111/26/2012

[quote]Are you an idiot or do you just play one on Datalounge? I clearly said I love Sally Field. But if it took Meryl Streep 17 nominations in 32 years to receive a third Oscar, they aren't going to give another to Field. Now simmer down.

I agree that Field isn't getting a 3rd Oscar but it's ridiculous to compare anyone's Oscar road to Streep's. She's in her own category. The fact she had to wait so long was practically her own doing. She works so much and she's considered so good, that the AMPAS figured it always had a chance in the future to award her. That's not the case with everyone else...except possibly DDL because he's relatively young still and is certain to give another great performance in the future. So that's a case for Jackman.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 34211/26/2012

"Huh? For Best Actress maybe, but Streep's first Oscar was for Best Supporting Actress in "Kramer vs Kramer", which she won the same year that Field won Best Actress for "Norma Rae"."

By the same token it took the Oscars decades to award Streep her second best actress oscar, whereas Field one them within years of each other (and so did Swank, and Rainer and Hepburn won them back to back).

Moreover, you are correct, but the fact is that the original poster of this 34 years got it wrong, given that Field and Streep both won oscars 36 years ago.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 34311/26/2012

I think they'll give Sally a re-do on the "You like me" speech. She's going to win and give a really dignified speech about equality. Anne Hathaway will smile wide while dying inside.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 34411/26/2012

Perhaps we should just face the fact that we may have an oscar race with two frontrunners both giving very fine performances and that either of them might win.

Instead of having a boring months long debate over it.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 34511/26/2012

[quote]Sorry you have baby tastes, [R327].

Pot meet kettle.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 34611/26/2012

[quote] Even though people here don't seem to like what she did in the promo I think she is probably the acting strength in the movie.

Yes, it's always good to make judgments based on 2 minute promo clips.

And I'm SURE that's what they were thinking: "Well, Hugh isn't very good and he has no chance for an Oscar, so let's pick an unexciting clip of his for the trailer."

Idiot.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 34711/26/2012

"But if it took Meryl Streep 17 nominations in 32 years to receive a third Oscar"

She won her second for SOPHIE'S CHOICE, while not an iconic film, is considered one of the greatest performances by an actress ever given. That was part of the reason why it took her so long to win. People were wondering if she could top SOPHIE. Finally, after way too many nominations, they gave it to her.

I'm starting to wonder what the real source for the Sally bashing is. It's a little odd how some keep bringing up Streep. Methinks some are a little too pissed that she could possibly tie Streep just one year after what took decades for Meryl to achieve.

And if you clearly loved Sally Field, you wouldn't feel the need to bash her, like you have on this thread. So sit down and shut up.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 34811/26/2012

Can we cut through the PR bullshit. Winning an Oscar doesn't make a great performance any greater.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 34911/26/2012

[quote]Also, so much is being made of the live singing and how "gritty" it is. Rewatch "At Long Last Love" and then defend that approach.

Oh, come on. At Long Last Love, one of the worst pieces of shit ever consigned to film, has no relationship to Les Miz.

it was done as a vanity piece for a talentless hack (Shepherd), was directed poorly, and the two leads (Shepherd and Reynolds) couldn't sing at all.

In fact, the only people with real musical chops in the film were Madeline Kahn and Eileen Brennan.

Very different kettle of fish from Les Miz.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 35011/26/2012

R347. Wow. what do you have invested in this and what's your obsession with Oscars? They are not always reliable in that. They have been accused of playing favorites.

They make promo clips so we CAN make judgments about a film. And they usually focus on interesting clips with the lead character. Not a supporting character with an engrossing performance showing the lead in a more neutral mode by comparison. I didn't say Hugh or anyone else was awful.

It's true I didn't see it but neither have most people that say they want it to win all kinds of awards.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 35111/26/2012

You're an idiot, r351. The trailer focuses on Hathaway because she's singing the most famous song in the show. Jackman isn't downplayed at all - he just doesn't have as much singing in the trailer as Hathaway. No one, in fact, does.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 35211/26/2012

Could we have a thread where the Meryl Streep troll and the Bendersons somehow wind up in mortal combat? Because even if they outcome isn't immediately fatal they will circle each other on that thread until the end of time.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 35311/26/2012

[quote]Methinks some are a little too pissed that she could possibly tie Streep just one year after what took decades for Meryl to achieve.

But if Sally does win, it also would have taken her decades to win 3, too. The last time she won was over 27 years ago and she hasn't been nominated since, either.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 35411/26/2012

Jackman does seem "downplayed' in that they're not showing anything that makes him a draw. Certainly not compared to Anne. Bring Him Home is also hugely famous. You sound like a crazed-obsessed fan.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 35511/26/2012

That's the thing R354, Streep fanatics will not be happy if any actress wins a third Oscar who hasn't racked up at least a dozen nominations first. That goes for Jodie Foster, Hilary Swank, Jane Fonda, Jessica Lange, and Sally Field.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 35611/26/2012

Oops, forgot Maggie Smith, though I think the Streep fans would be okay with her winning a third.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 35711/26/2012

This thread is gayer than a sugar free peach scone.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 35811/26/2012

[quote]Maybe Sally Field will also win as a way to create another Big Oscar Moment.

And you KNOW I will deliver! I will thank my gay son of whom I am so proud, I will urge all mothers to reject war, and I will speak out against the tea party and in favor of marriage equality. If necessary, I can also piss myself with joy.

Vote for ME!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 35911/26/2012

Did I mention how traumatic it was to cut my hair?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 36011/26/2012

All you Sally haterz are overlooking the fact that Anne Hathaway has a lot of roles just handed to her and fucks 'em up whereas Sally - against all odds - in an industry that regularly accepts 22 year-old actresses playing romantic leads opposite 36 year-old men - AND OLDER! - actually snagged a role in her 60s playing opposite an actor 10 years YOUNGER than her! If that doesn't deserve an Oscar than nothing does!

Plus, that IDAD shit is so fucking old...Les Mis is lame. Both times I've seen that featurette in the cinema - at Skyfall and The Master - people were groaning. That shit's not gonna sell out.

You think it's a certainty that Les Mis will be a hit? Talk to the makers of The Rise of The Guardians about it.

I say Best Song and some technical noms. One acting nomination for Anne, just like they did with Penelope in Nine. Blu-Ray out in time for Mother's Day.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 36111/26/2012

R358 is correct, and I love it.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 36211/26/2012

Three words that explain why Hugh Jackman will never win an Oscar: Deborah (pronounced De-BORE-ah) Lee Furness. Everybody hates that fat frau.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 36311/26/2012

If he isn't nominated for this, he won't ever be nominated. He's not a dramatic actor, and he's not that funny. His assets are his ass and his voice.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 36411/26/2012

"Methinks some are a little too pissed that she could possibly tie Streep just one year after what took decades for Meryl to achieve."

Strange since that possibility would take Sally the same amount of time plus one year to more than Meryl. And if that pisses Meryl maniacs off, they should really get a life.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 36511/26/2012

[quote]I agree that Field isn't getting a 3rd Oscar but it's ridiculous to compare anyone's Oscar road to Streep's. She's in her own category. The fact she had to wait so long was practically her own doing. She works so much and she's considered so good, that the AMPAS figured it always had a chance in the future to award her.

Some of her nods were filler and it has only been in the last few years that she has been competitive.

Sorry girls, this one is going to be tough to beat. Hathaway will win, and DL will go into a collective meltdown. The reviews are far too good and it's laughable that anyone compares it to Nine which was hidden from critics.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 36611/27/2012

Les Miz is too gay...the academy straights wo't vote for it.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 36711/27/2012

Uh ... Remember Chicago, r368? That was even gayer than BM.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 36811/27/2012

Marion Cotillard should have played Fantine.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 36911/27/2012

As disappointing as it was...I kind of still like Nine.

*Runs and hides*

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 37011/27/2012

Has Sally been playing the ageism card in her Oscar campaign, constantly bringing up how she doesn't get any roles because she's too old? Didn't Viola try working the racism angle in her campaign last year, complaining about the lack of roles for her as a black woman?

Is old the new black?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 37111/27/2012

The word of mouth on Les MIs is so good, it's going to wipe Lincoln off the map Oscar-time. Sally who?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 37211/27/2012

Yes, so you keep saying R373. Let's see if it opens first. It might just be Les Miser Flop!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 37311/27/2012

Okay. Saw it tonight. LA. Lots o' celebs.

It's very impressive filmmaking. I can't imagine it not scoring a Best Pic nomination. And Hathaway is effin' great. I'm in Sally's corner, but I just thought it was almost brilliant pert.

And then ... and then ... well, what's gained with "live singing" is raw emotionalism. But what's lost, in return, is any kind of vocal perfection. And it's a score that was literally written for big, thrilling voices. It only comes close to that with Hathaway.

Jackman sings well, but it's not a powerful voice, nor a beautiful one. Redmayne's is a lovely voice, but not particularly powerful. Seyfried, so-so. Aaron Tveit sounds good with what he has. He has the chops. Crowe - oh, dear.

Oh, Samantha Barks, yeah, she has the vocal chops require by the part, too. But hampered, again, from delivering the goods completely by the live singing thing.

They should have pre-recorded, at least a lot of it they should have - each number right before it was filmed (which is how it's usually done, anyway, not "three months ahead" as Redmayne says in the promo).

Some of the vocal deficiencies could have been sweetened or glossed over in the studio.

I think Jackman will be nominated - his acting is very good - but I can't imagine this performance winning over DDL.

All the technical aspects are first rate. It will get a lot of nominations, although I doubt 15. I would guess more like 11 or so.

Lincoln isn't perfect - it has its longueurs - but it will be a formidable competitor against Les Miz.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 37411/27/2012

Who were the celebs in the audience r375!!!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 37511/27/2012

Unfortunately Cotillard could never have played Fantine due to her prosthetic leg.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 37611/27/2012

[quote]Jackman sings well, but it's not a powerful voice, nor a beautiful one.

Yes, we all remember his ill-fated duet with Aretha Franklin.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 37711/27/2012

Cotillard would've been a brilliant Fantine. I wonder if she was considered.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 37811/27/2012

[quote]Some of the vocal deficiencies could have been sweetened or glossed over in the studio.

What makes you think they weren't?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 37911/27/2012

R375, you make very reasonable points about the film, particularly about the quality of the singing in it. I take issue with you about when the tracks are recorded, though. I have a British friend who did choral work on Evita and he said they recorded the tracks at least four months before principal photography began.

Yes, Marion Cotillard would have made a wonderful Fantine at one time but she's too old for the role. Even Hathaway is too old for the role. God knows Patti LuPone (London) and Randy Graff (Broadway) were. It's in the lyrics of "I Dreamed A Dream"-"He took my childhood in his stride..." OK, do the math. Her lover impregnated her and she has a 7 year old child-she'd be no older than 24, particularly in the 1800s.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 38011/27/2012

[quote]Her lover impregnated her and she has a 7 year old child-she'd be no older than 24, particularly in the 1800s.[/quote]

**spoilers*** Fantine is 27 in the book when she dies (1796-1823), and Hathaway was 29 during filming, so 2 years is not too old. Also, Cosette (b. 1815) was 8 when her mother died and was rescued by Valjean, so Fantine was 19 when she had her.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 38111/27/2012

Thanks for your post, R375. It sounds like a very reasonable assessment.

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie, yet it makes me kind of sad that the strong voices I love hearing in live theater are increasingly deemed a turn-off for the masses when musical films get made. Earlier this year I saw the current national tour of Les Mis and it featured some of the best singing I've heard in any show I can remember.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 38211/27/2012

Read-between-the-lines rave from variety

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 38311/27/2012

"after seeing Les Miz, my gut is telling me that it will beat both Argo and Lincoln for Best Picture. And the talk you may or may not have heard about Anne Hathaway being a shoo-in for Best Supporting Actress as Fantine is true. "

Mike Ryan , HuffPo

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 38411/27/2012

"Les Misérables May Be the Best Movie I Have Ever Seen"

again, HuffPo

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 38511/27/2012

Too many qualified statements in that review to be a rave.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 38611/27/2012

R384, that was a rave? Rather ambivalent, no?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 38711/27/2012

Sally Field is going all Sybil at the moment.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 38811/27/2012

r387 its the sort of qualified rave that a professional critic gives when they feel the need to maintain measured prose when talking about a very good film.

They leave no question that it is a very good film, only whether it is the "best film of the year".

The point being that it is becoming very clear that the film is NOT- as so many of you hoped- either a failure or a flop.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 38911/27/2012

Yeah R386, "...said a blind man."

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 39011/27/2012

Still think they should have cast Britney Spears as Fantine.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 39111/27/2012

Sally Field is gonna take care of Li'l Annie Hathaway...come to the green kitchen, Annie!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 39211/27/2012

[quote]The point being that it is becoming very clear that the film is NOT- as so many of you hoped- either a failure or a flop.

We don't know if it's a flop yet. A film can be good and get great reviews but still fail at the box office.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 39311/27/2012

Sally's getting Sybil out of mothballs for a remake of On a Clear Day You Can See Forever.

Her singing will put Hathaway to shame.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 39411/27/2012

I wouldn't be surprised if Helen Hunt ends up winning. If the other two nominees are fillers from lesser movies, Sally and Anne could split the vote evenly, allowing for a third nominee to win.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 39511/27/2012

Uh, no. Sorry, Helen... I mean R396.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 39611/27/2012

I realize she's hated here on DL because she beat out Dame Judy (probably should have won) and Kate Winslet (who didn't deserve it) but don't count her out.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 39711/27/2012

r386's link is so helpful.

If Jay Weston, Publisher of Jay Weston's Restaurant Newsletter, says on HuffPo that it's the best film he's ever seen, you know that means something!!!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 39811/27/2012

Zach Braff weighs in:

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 39911/27/2012

[quote]The point being that it is becoming very clear that the film is NOT- as so many of you hoped- either a failure or a flop.

No, you said quite clearly that the point being was that it was a "between-the-lines rave."

It's not a between-the-lines rave. You seem to have a very tenuous grasp on reality.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 40011/27/2012

Next to the review of Jay Weston, Publisher of Jay Weston's Restaurant Newsletter, even noted exacting film critic Zach Braff's review on Twitter can hardly count for anything.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 40111/27/2012

Re r375: Hugh Jackman is no Colm Wilkinson. Anne Hathaway is no Patti LuPone. Russell Crowe is no Roger Allam.

But they are the best crop of stars to possibly perform in a film version of Les Mis. Let's face it, there are very few A list movie stars who can belt the way the score was written. There's nothing that will change that. As long as they sing, act and perform well in the roles, that's the most important thing. It's a new way of hearing a score that is almost 30 years old. You really shouldn't hold that against the actors.

Chicago still won best picture with Richard Gere and Rene Zelwegger.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 40211/27/2012

That never happens r396. It's always talked about but it never happens.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 40311/27/2012

"there are very few A list movie stars who can belt the way the score was written."

You dub their voices. End of story. This isn't a problem that just occured in the last ten years.

WEST SIDE STORY and MY FAIR LADY are still beloved classic films almost fifty years later. No one holds it against either film that Marni Nixon did both Natalie and Audrey's singing.

Is Hathaway intent on actually singing in the Garland biopic? Can't whisper your way around Judy's shit.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 40411/27/2012

Are you guys going to keep guessing this shit for the next three months?

What difference does it make who wins? It's not going to be any of you.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 40511/27/2012

[quote]That never happens [R396]. It's always talked about but it never happens.

Excuse us?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 40611/27/2012

I know people are bound to hate Anne's voice, because, well, this is the DL where hate is given amply and freely... But doesn't she technically have a very strong voice? Isn't she operatically trained? Or am I making that up? Would someone who doesn't hate Anne just to hate her please chime in?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 40711/27/2012

[quote]WEST SIDE STORY and MY FAIR LADY are still beloved classic films almost fifty years later.

And part of the weaknesses of both films are the dubbed stars.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 40811/27/2012

R408, Hathaway actually has a great voice. She would've killed the shit out of "I Dreamed a Dream" if only she'd been allowed to amplify. I agree, she doesn't sound promising in the trailers, but I blame Hooper.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 40911/27/2012

[quote] WEST SIDE STORY and MY FAIR LADY are still beloved classic films almost fifty years later. No one holds it against either film that Marni Nixon did both Natalie and Audrey's singing.

Hun, those movies came out in a different time when movie musicals were coming out of Hollywood like hotcakes. Natalie Wood wasn't Puerto Rican and couldn't sing. They wouldn't cast the movie the same way today. And frankly, I hate movie musicals with dubbing. No offense to Marni Nixon, but her voice is just a tool and not very distinct. The idea of dubbing someone else's voice in a movie musical today is absolutely ridiculous.

That's just the way it is.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 41011/27/2012

Meanwhile, those soundtracks sold in the millions. No one gave a rats ass that Natalie didn't sing.

Only pretentious theater queens think either movie is flawed by the dubbed vocals.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 41111/27/2012

I'm not sure what all this fuss over Anne is about either R408 From what we've seen so far, she seems to adapt vocally and emotionally to the material and this process very well, and she's only in a few scenes. How some of the others do is less clear but Eddie seems to be okay.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 41211/27/2012

r411

Dubbing can be very effective if they get a good match. Here's Annette Warren for Lucille Ball (where was Warren for MAME?!!)

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 41311/27/2012

"The idea of dubbing someone else's voice in a movie musical today is absolutely ridiculous."

No, it's not at all.

"That's just the way it is."

And that's why people are still watching LADY and WEST SIDE STORY, while NINE, MOULIN ROUGE and PHANTOM OF THE OPERA are all but forgotten.

But, hey, at least there was no dubbing! We really needed to hear Penelope Cruz and Kate Hudson sing!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 41411/27/2012

Anne Hathaway is going to win the Oscar, so get over it!!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 41511/27/2012

I'm so sick of Anne Hathaway that I'm not going to see this no matter what the reviews say.

Eventually it will be on HBO, maybe I'll have a look then.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 41611/27/2012

[quote]Chicago still won best picture with Richard Gere and Rene Zelwegger

Very different kind of score. Roxie's songs were written for Gwen Verdon, who didn't have much of a voice herself (particularly by the time she did CHICAGO). Zellwegger did fine vocally because there was no vocal challenge in the role.

And Gere, who came from musical theatre, did fine with Billy's songs.

Les Miz, on the other hand, was - as has already been pointed out - written for big theatre voices, Wilkinson, LuPone, etc.

Had they pre-recorded, they could have made the singing sound better than it does in the film now, by really taking the time to get the vocals right and then using all the bells and whistles to sweeten.

It seems ridiculous to dub an actor in a virtually through-sung role - and yet, Minnie Driver, who can sing but not operatically, was dubbed in "Phantom of the Opera." Still, I can't imagine that they would have done that in the case of , for instance, Crowe, who most needed it.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 41711/27/2012

[ote]I'm so sick of Anne Hathaway that I'm not going to see this no matter what the reviews say.

That'll show her, you Rebel you!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 41811/27/2012

Anne seems pretty damn amazing in the link at R410. I still don't get the hate. Oh well.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 41911/27/2012

If the goddamn musical were true to my book, Anne would've also had to extract her own teeth so her character could sell them.

I'd watch if a massive, toothless Hathaway smile were promised to me.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 42011/27/2012

Are you an Academy voter, Mr. Hugo? Because that can be arranged.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 42111/27/2012

Well, M. Hugo, the movie does show Fantine's teeth being extracted. But only the back molars. It's pretty harrowing.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 42211/27/2012

No Hathaway Hockey Mouth, no endorsement from me.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 42311/27/2012

Well, if she wasn't willing to lose her teeth for a role, how much of an actress can she really be?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 42411/27/2012

Fantine only gets her back molars extracted in this film? In the book it's the front teeth. Guess they didn't want to uglify Anne too much.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 42511/27/2012

Annie was willing to take her wisdom teeth out.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 42611/27/2012

DDL makes me think of the DDL Food Show.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 42711/27/2012

I think there's a possibility that Anne will win the GG and her acceptance speech will be so nauseating that it will clear a path to the podium for Sally on Oscar night.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 42811/28/2012

That's just what everybody wants to see, a musical about torturous dental procedures.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 42911/28/2012

They left the tooth pulling out of Sweeney Todd as well.

Stop the hate against dentistry. It's killing us.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 43011/28/2012

I would see Les Mis in a HEARTBEAT if Anne's Fantine sang Dream a Dream without her front teeth, as intended in the novel.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 43111/28/2012

[quote]Can we cut through the PR bullshit. Winning an Oscar doesn't make a great performance any greater.

What are you saying R349? That having the foreign press adore you is NOT the best criteria for handing out awards??

Idiot!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 43211/28/2012

They could have CGI'ed them out the way they did with Javier Bardem.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 43311/28/2012

Thindy Brady is Fantine!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 43411/28/2012

And don't forget Juanita Hall, who was the original Bloody Mary in SOUTH PACIFIC on Broadway, was dubbed in the movie.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 43511/28/2012

I'm slightly dyslexic. I always thought Lynn's surname was "Stairmaster." I think I preferred that.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 43611/28/2012

I've always read it as Stairmaster. Though I'm not dyslexic.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 43711/28/2012

Same here r438

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 43811/28/2012

It does say Stairmaster. What are you guys talking about?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 43911/28/2012

see r433

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 44011/28/2012

It IS Stairmaster, R437-439.

R433 is either an impostor or just being cutesy.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 44111/28/2012

Gotcha. I kinda like "Starmaster", though.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 44211/28/2012

"I would see Les Mis in a HEARTBEAT if Anne's Fantine sang Dream a Dream without her front teeth, as intended in the novel."

Um, Fantine doesn't sing in the novel.

next!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 44311/28/2012

This thread is the most hilarious thread to date here.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 44411/28/2012

"Has Sally been playing the ageism card in her Oscar campaign, constantly bringing up how she doesn't get any roles because she's too old? Didn't Viola try working the racism angle in her campaign last year, complaining about the lack of roles for her as a black woman?

Is old the new black?"

No. And no.

Sally has simply been asked repeatedly about getting the role and she's answered honestly about the struggle of getting it.

And rather than make it a platform to talk about the plight of older actresses in Hollywood she has merely referred to the fact that her not getting the part at her age would have been perfectly reasonable because she's 10 years older than Day-Lewis, 20 years older than Mary Todd Lincoln, who was ten years younger than Abe.

So, in fact, the answer to your question is not only "no."

But rather quite the opposite.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 44511/28/2012

Why, r445? Not sure why you even find it amusing. Oh, that's right - you're just trying to be a silly cunt.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 44611/29/2012

Is there really no one else who could be a surprise winner in the Supporting category? Is it really going to be Sally versus Anne in a death match to the end?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 44711/29/2012

There's no death match, unless it's occurring in Sally's head. Anne is going to spend the next two months polishing her acceptance speech.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 44811/29/2012

R448 Amy Adams. She's in Hathaway's age range and has been nominated several times already.

Hathaway's PR team can post everywhere all they want saying it's a lock, but it clearly isn't. Miss Anne is going to Lauren Bacall herself if she don't tone down the desperation.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 44911/29/2012

[quote]Mandy Seyfried

Reason enough not to take you seriously, Lynn.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 45011/29/2012

Only to be humiliated when she doesn't get to deliver it.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 45111/29/2012

OMG Aaron Tveit has gay face!!! He was so hot on Bway but up close....yikes!!!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 45211/30/2012

r444, from the novel by Victor Hugo -

[quote]"When Fantine passed the factory in working hours, when the workpeople were at the door, she affected to laugh and sing. An old workwoman who once saw her laughing and singing in this fashion said, “There’s a girl who will come to a bad end.”

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 45311/30/2012

R454 = /FAIL

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 45411/30/2012

Idiot above.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 45511/30/2012

Lynn Stairmaster = Jackie Harvey

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 45611/30/2012

"A Heart Full of Love" clip. Redmayne looks like a ventriloquist's dummy, and Seyfried sounds tinny. Blech! I'm gonna hate this if all the voices sound as inadequate.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 45711/30/2012

Here's a clip of when Fantine gets sacked during "At the End of the Day." I must say I'm impressed by Hathaway. She adds little things/mannerisms that makes you feel for the character. The foreman, on the other hand, doesn't look/seem very menacing at all. And he sounds like he's singing the lyrics for the first time.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 45811/30/2012

Hello, I'm naked at 60!!!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 45912/01/2012

Ugh, those clips are worse than I expected. It's like holding a handheld in the face of every actor of some amateur production of Les Miserables.

Let's be honest, whether Crowe has the voice to sing or not (it doesn't look like that was a requirement here anyway) he's far more the Jean Valjean type than Jackman, who is really more of a musical performer than an actor. He's nowhere near riveting enough to get nominated for Best Actor, much less win it.

So it's no lie then - it really is all close ups and master shots. I couldn't imagine sitting in a cinema watching actor's faces for 2.5 hours. Especially if it's Anne "No Drama Training" Hathaway. Where did this girl learn to act? That whole scene with the poorly cast Foreman, she's terrible. If her acting is that pitiful there, what does she save for IDAD? She looks very amateurish, shaking her head and pleading with her eyes...would've preferred to see her have some tiny shred of dignity at that point. She looks very amateurish. Doesn't seem at all like the actress she was in Rachel Getting Married.

I don't see this doing big box office. Not with real men.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 46012/01/2012

[quote] Not with real men.

Self-loathing piece of shit.

The "Who Am I" clip is awful. Too much handheld camera. I hope there isn't too much of that in the film, I was hoping for a classic looking epic.

I think the live singing is too real. It's as if they're people in everyday settings knowing that they're singing and doing it anyway, rather than an artistic conceit. It's most off-putting when the rhyming is off or non-existent, especially with Javert.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 46112/01/2012

Anne is suffering from the anxiety of influence. Meryl in Sophie's Choice is all over her choices.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 46212/01/2012

The director is too in love with his live singing crap and it's to the detriment of the film. The speak-singing is lame and boring. Obviously it's never going to look realistic if these people are singing songs, so just let them belt it out like in a good old fashioned movie musical. The instrumentation was added after the performance, and in some of these new clips there's some awkward singing/music mismatch. And the direction in these clips is completely amateur. Laaaaaame.

There'll be a big opening weekend from the built-in audience, a bunch of GG nominations, and a surprising lack of Oscar noms. Anne Hathaway, Best Song, and maybe sound or something. Stairmaster is wrong as usual.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 46312/01/2012

Even a broken clock is correct once a day!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 46412/01/2012

I was right about Streep winning for The Iron Lady this year, wasn't I, R464? Also about W.E. looking like a Chanel No. 5 commercial and being slammed for it. So shut your pie hole.

Yes, Crowe is much more right physically for Valjean than Jackman. But he could never sing it. I wouldn't have minded if he'd done it dubbed over by Alfie Boe.

Some stupid bitch named Sasha Stone of Awards Daily is on Twitter and thinks Tom Hooper won't even be nominated. What a moron she is. She has no idea the impact this movie will have when it opens. It will be a juggernaut, make no mistake about it.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 46512/02/2012

[quote]he has no idea the impact this movie will have when it opens. It will be a juggernaut, make no mistake about it.

only to show tune queens and Lea Michelle

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 46612/02/2012

I think I shy away from musicals because I loathe sing-talking (or talk-singing). Straight up musical numbers - great, but the aforementioned sing-talking just fucking annoys me. I know it's just me, but for me it's stupid and ridiculous.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 46712/02/2012

Lynn, I do like that you take a position and stick with it. And, of course, you were right about The Iron Lady, though that hardly seems a stretch now. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I do not think it will be a juggernaut, it doesn't have the all encompassing demographics for that.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 46812/02/2012

Thanks, R469.

I think a wide audience will be seeing this but what I meant was I think it will be a juggernaut in terms of awards nominations. That imbecile Sasha Stone thinks that only Hathaway has a lock on an Oscar nomination and that its director Tom Hooper will be shut out. I think it'll end up with 11 nominations, at least. She has no clue about how this movie will be embraced. She's going by a screening of critics who decided it might not be very professional to applaud after musical numbers like we did at Alice Tully Hall. She referred to the reaction as "stony silence." How wrong she is. She thinks Silver Linings Playbook will get more awards action. And she's a Lincoln troll if ever there was one. Lincoln is an extremely good movie and audiences highly admire it but they'll go bananas over Les Miserables. Wait and see.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 46912/02/2012

r464 is the idiot to end all idiots.

It's so funny when people despise something (a film of all things) so passionately, that they blatantly alternate their own realities and avoid the practical facts that Les Mis is going to be a big deal with a lot of Oscar nominations.

Whether r464 likes it or not.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 47012/03/2012

Yes, that's right, Lynn Stairmaster! Sally Field just won Best Supporting Actress from The New York Film Critics Circle! Get used to it.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 47112/03/2012

You'll note that in 2006, Jennifer Hudson won Best Supporting Actress from the NYFCC for Dreamgirls and went on to win the Oscar.

Looks like it's already a rocky path to the Oscars for Anne Halfway.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 47212/03/2012

That's wonderful for Sally Field to win that NYFCC, but lest you start accusing "Les Mis Fangirls" of jumping the gun, remember that Les Mis has yet to be released and there's still a lot more awards to go.

NYFCC doesn't necessarily predict the Oscars. You can check the archives for yourself to see their history of awards.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 47312/03/2012

I saw "Lincoln" and Sally Field was excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing "Les Miserables". All this fuss about Anne Hathaway is pretty juvenile. Lots of cunts and assholes have won Oscars, and I'm not convinced she's either. Some people see what they want to see.

You won't really be able to compare performances as AH will be doing something totally different in her role. It will come down to how the voters feel. Both of them may deserve it but barring a tie, only one will win. It doesn't mean the other didn't give a great performance.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 47412/03/2012

r473, you'll note that since 2000, only 5 NYFCC supporting actress winners went on to win Oscars.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 47512/03/2012

It's really impossible to make Oscar predictions until you've at least seen the holiday box office figures.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 47612/03/2012

Not impossible, r477. Just hard to do accurately, especially in such an unpredictable year.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 47712/03/2012

Well, balloting starts on the 17th of December and nominations are announced on the 10th of January. These films waiting for release until Christmas Day aren't doing themselves any favors.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 47812/03/2012

NYFCC saw Les Miz, r479. Most critics have.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 47912/03/2012

The NYFCC once gave a best actress award to Cameron Diaz for There's Something About Mary. Any credibility that organization had went out the window years ago. And Rachel Weisz for Best Actress? She won't even be nominated for the Oscar.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 48012/03/2012

Oh, I know people in the industry and media see the films. But surely public reception plays into it a bit.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 48112/03/2012

I'm exactly the type of movie goer that the Les Miz PTB are looking for to watch/rave about their film. I generally loathe musicals, I especially loathe musicals that are sung throughout the entire movie, have no childhood attachment to Les Miz (unlike most people on this thread), and have no attachments to any of the actors in the film. However, I am film savvy and will see films not in my normal wheelhouse if I feel it's a must see.

As of this moment, despite the shills on this thread, I want to see it. Three of my friends saw advanced screenings and everyone of them raved.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 48212/03/2012

R481? She could have the entire Disney voting block behind her as promotion for Oz: The Great and Powerful. Plus she was featured in the THR Roundtable for Actresses. She could definitely pull a nomination and give Jennifer Lawrence a run for her money. She's exquisite in the film.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 48312/03/2012

Almost never r482.

Les Miz is being shut out of the NYFCC, and that's how it's going to be come Oscar night.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 48412/03/2012

R481, Weisz got nothing but glowing reviews for "The Deep Blue Sea", it was just released a while ago. Her win isn't that surprising.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 48512/03/2012

The Deep Blue Sea itself was poorly received, and made all of $2. She'll probably get a nomination because it's a terrible year for leading actresses but there's no way Weinstein will let Jennifer Lawrence lose the Oscar. He has no sway with the critics.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 48612/03/2012

The Deep Blue Sea is a 79% at Rotten Tomatoes and wasn't expected to make a lot. Weisz isn't a big name and it was released in like 4 theaters in May. She would deserve a nomination even if it was a great year for leading actresses.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 48712/03/2012

It's got a 79% fresh rating which is pretty good for a Terence Davies film.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 48812/03/2012

[quote] Les Miz is being shut out of the NYFCC, and that's how it's going to be come Oscar night.

Ooh, aren't you authoritative, like a 10 year old girl deciding which dolls sit where at your tea parties.

You're a damned fool if you think Les Mis is just going to be forgotten and the Oscars are going to be a carbon copy of the NYCFF. Trust me, if Les Mis really does flop and wins nothing, I'll be the first to eat my words. But you Les Mis haters are just too damned stupid for words.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 48912/03/2012

Weisz isn't a big name? Weisz is an Academy Award and Golden Globe award winning actress, makes tons of movies, is extremely popular among her peers, and would be a shoe-in for an oscar nomination if Deep Blue Sea hadn't opened so early in the year. Now that she has won the NYFCC award, she has a good chance of being an oscar nominee.

Not to mention she's Mrs. Daniel Craig.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 49012/03/2012

The Hollywood Reporter review: Not good

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 49112/06/2012

Variety: A little better but still kind of meh

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 49212/06/2012

[quote]Les Miz is being shut out of the NYFCC, and that's how it's going to be come Oscar night.

It can't be, it just cant!! That stupid Bigelow film is going to win, and I'm not happy about it.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 49312/06/2012

[quote]The NYFCC once gave a best actress award to Cameron Diaz for There's Something About Mary.

WTF? The NYFCC must be made up entirely of straight white men in that case.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 49412/06/2012

It's not going to get LA critics either which will go to Lincoln or ZDT for both BP and director. Les Miz is not part of the conversation for BP or director.

Hathaway needs to appear in the line up this weekend if she has any hope of being feted.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 49512/06/2012

[quote] Les Miz is not part of the conversation for BP or director.

How do you know that? Because you say it is?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 49612/06/2012

Slant magazine is definitely going to be negative:

[quote]Calum Marsh ‏@calummarsh (Slant Magazine) LES MISERABLES (Hooper, 2012): I had a dreeeaaam this film would be / so different from this hell I'm watchiiiiiiiiiiing

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 49712/06/2012

It doesn't take a genius to see which way the winds are blowing. Nominations, especially in the design categories. Hathaway could well win, but it depends. The film will most probably get a nomination for BP (if there are ten nominees) but it won't win.

Has it appeared on ANY top ten lists yet?

Of course, critics and awards aside, it could still be a popular movie. It's always been one of those exception-to-the-rule properties.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 49812/06/2012

From the same guy: One more pan, one star more

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 49912/06/2012

Daily Mail: 5 stars

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 50012/06/2012

1 star? What is wrong with that critic??

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 50112/06/2012

Baz is a showbiz reporter, he's not really a critic. Getting 5 stars from him is like getting 5 stars from Mary Hart.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 50212/06/2012

I know r503, just linking for people to see all the "reviews" at the moment.

r502, I suspect that will be the first of many good/bad reviews to use the songs as puns. Ugh.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 50312/06/2012

"it's a terrible year for leading actresses"

Why are so many people saying this? It is a rare year when there are at least eleven highly talked about performances by women in leading roles, and this year we have at least ten: Chastain, Lawrence, Riva, Cotillard, Watts, Wallis, Mirren, Weisz, Smith, Knightley and - going further out on a limb but many who have seen it say it's not going out on a limb at all - Winstead (and don't talk about little known actors in little seen films never getting nominated - look no further than Demian Bichir, best actor nominee 2011).

Three of these oscar hopefuls are in highly lauded movies which are likely to receive multiple oscar nods in major categories: Amour, Zero Dark Thirty and Silver Linings Playbook.

Perhaps there were no big oscar-y appearances from some perennial oscar contenders like Streep, Close, Bening, Moore, Davis, Swank, Linney (I take it from the early reviews for Hyde Park that her role is not exactly stellar).... but that doesn't mean that there weren't well received performances by women in major roles.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 50412/06/2012

The Telegraph: 5 stars

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 50512/06/2012

The biggest raves of all time and the biggest boos.

This is what happens constantly in a world of drama queens. Everything has got to be larger than life cinema nirvana or larger than life shit.

Kind of tired of it.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 50612/06/2012

[quote]As the enduring success of this property has shown, there are large, emotionally susceptible segments of the population ready to swallow this sort of thing, but that doesn't mean it's good.

Amen to that, sister!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 50712/06/2012

Well, The Telegraph would, they're just protecting Hooper, their establishment mate. His father is described on Wikipedia as "an English media businessman." The Telegraph would not stick the knife in Hooper's back.

Has anyone seen Lynn Stairmaster? I take it she's on a stretcher parked in some hallway in an emergency room.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 50812/06/2012

The Guardian: 3 stars

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 50912/06/2012

Somewhere Baz Luhrman is laughing his ass off.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 51012/06/2012

Anne Hathaway made a huge mistake in taking Les Miz over Gypsy. Les Miz will go down in flames while Lady Gaga will win the Oscar for Gypsy.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 51112/06/2012

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 51212/06/2012

I don't see why it says 3 stars out of 5 on The Guardian's review. That was almost a complete pan.

The two biggest publications, Variety and THR, didn't like it. That doesn't bode well for the rest of the major US reviews. I expect a similar mixed-to-negative reaction from Ebert and The New York Times.

Hathaway still seems like a sure bet, though.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 51312/06/2012

[quote]The big occasion when Hooper tries something different, intercutting among nearly all the major characters at crossroads in the Act I climax "One Day More," feels like a pale imitation of the electrifying "Tonight" ensemble in the film version of West Side Story.

Ouch. No Oscars here, then.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 51412/06/2012

Getting a good review from Baz Bamigboye is like getting a good review from an employee of Cameron Mackintosh. Oh, wait...

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 51512/06/2012

[quote]...halfway through...Les Miserables starts to splutter.

That'll make a nice quote!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 51612/06/2012

[quote]He's less at home with the higher register of Valjean's daunting two-octave range; there's more strain than soul in his performance of "Bring Him Home," usually one of the show's peak moments.

Ouch. Variety again.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 51712/06/2012

Rope of Silicon: Fantastic performances lead to a great opening hour that dwindles in the latter half - Grade: C+

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 51812/06/2012

The Guardian reviewer seemed to think the film itself was a fine effort and that the source material, the play itself, is crap.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 51912/06/2012

saw a screener of it last night- it was good- not great- i wanted to love it... it only gathers steam from one day more through the end- and eponine feels incredibly forced in the film, rather than the integral part of the stage show - and yet they really didn't do much different with her in terms of her stage time-

what it really is is an amazing film version of the stage show but not an amazing film

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 52012/06/2012

I though the reviews were all embargoed until next week? Why is everyone releasing them today?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 52112/06/2012

For those of you tuning in late, let me summarise the reviews thus far: "Predictably, this film sucks."

Thank you. Check back for updates.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 52212/06/2012

Total film: Stirring and striking, Hooper’s epic musical won’t be wanting for awards and plaudits. Danny Cohen’s cinematography is stunning and Hathaway’s Oscar is guaranteed.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 52312/06/2012

People in the comments section of The Guardian are hilarious, up in arms that it received a mixed review. Arguments like "it's pretty obvious she hasn't read the book" make no sense when it's a movie that's meant to stand on its own.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 52412/06/2012

I think the reviews fall in between what the worshippers and the haters want.

I expect it will do pretty well. Lots of girls and gays dragging their boyfriends.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 52512/06/2012

[quote]The Paris soundstages feel small and poky, and different angles of shot might have avoided a sometimes stagey feel and the jarring contrast with the outdoor scenes, which deliver a glorious Delacroix look and scale. The sprawling structure of the show, too, means that high emotion breaks in wave after wave without reprieve, cinematic close-ups magnifying the impact. At its best, that effect sees Anne Hathaway reclaim I Dreamed A Dream from Susan Boyle and ruin the song for all who follow her. Angry, defiant and broken all at once, it is a definitive performance, and though her part amounts to barely a montage and this one sublime solo, don’t be surprised to see her on an Oscar podium come February.

[quote]Occasionally, like its characters, ragged around the edges, this nevertheless rings with all the emotion and power of the source and provides a new model for the movie musical.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 52612/06/2012

r525, I am not upset Les Mis is getting mixed reviews, but one has to admit that a movie critic who hasn't read Les Miserables - even one not reviewing it - is a pretty absurd notion.

Not only is it a milestone of world literature, that one would think anyone as educated as a film critic (a real film critic that is) would have read, but it is likely the most frequently filmed novel of all time.

Of course, the critic in question may have read it and the poster may be wrong (but that's beside the point).

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 52712/06/2012

I don't understand why so many people on this site are invested so personally with this film in its success.

Are you all producers?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 52812/06/2012

The Brits are always in the bag for anything English. Frankly, I'm surprised they're admitting any caveats at all.

As for why everyone on here is so interested, it's pretty easy to figure out. Movie musical. Queens with too much time on their hands. What else would you expect?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 52912/06/2012

R529? It's impolite to just stand and point at the gaping black hole that for most of us constitutes a life! How rude.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 53012/06/2012

r530

Are you kidding? No one bitches about their own more than the Brits.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 53112/06/2012

[quote]The Hollywood Reporter review: Not good

He clearly hated the stage show too. Not a lick of impartiality in that review.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 53212/06/2012

Really don't get the Les Miz hate here. Must be a few jealous Sondheimites.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 53312/06/2012

I suspect there will be a snobbery among the elite film critics. Musicals will always be a hard sell, they will always be considered frivolous, and they don't appeal to the straight boy factor. This is an indisputable fact.

But before anyone goes celebrating Les Mis the film's bad reviews, please remember that the original London and Broadway productions did NOT receive raves. Here we are almost 30 years later, and the same things will be said we've heard before. The only difference is that Les Mis has survived those 30 years to become one of the world's most popular and profitable musicals of all time.

I work in Arts Marketing, and have long since learned that critics mean nothing anymore.

You're a true idiot if you're still expecting Les Mis to crash and burn.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 53412/06/2012

Les Mis won't crash and burn. But it's not going to be the next TITANIC, either, which is what someone (OP?) said early in the thread.

It'll be a hit, and probably win a few Oscars (Hathaway is the best shot at a major one).

And that'll be it!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 53512/06/2012

r536

Two words: Mamma Mia.

I suspect Les Mis will have similar success, at least in Britain.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 53612/06/2012

[quote]Hathaway’s Oscar is guaranteed

HA!!!!!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 53712/06/2012

Gag on my flavah, Betty!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 53812/06/2012

Sam Barks' film vox don't do any justice to what she's capable of. Even if it is supposed to be "talk-singing."

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 53912/06/2012

[quote]Two words: Mamma Mia.

[quote]I suspect Les Mis will have similar success, at least in Britain.

Except that MAMMA MIA! wasn't a 160-minute sung-through musical about poverty and death. It was a frothy jukebox musical about a wedding set to the tunes of ABBA, which are still popular.

Also, MAMMA MIA! had Streep, which like it or not, is a box-office draw. She made that god-awful IRON LADY a hit. People still go to see movies for her.

Frankly, I couldn't stand MAMMA MIA!, but I could understand why people flocked to it. It was fluff and feel-good. On the other hand, LES MIZ is dark and depressing. It does end on a hopeful note, but you have withstand over 2 1/2 hours of misery.

I just don't see it being a crowd-pleaser.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 54012/06/2012

MAMMA MIA may have made money, but I would hardly call it a great movie. It's also largely forgotten not even five years after it's release.

And no is expecting LES MIS to crash and burn. Such one dimensional dramatics aside, it has always been a beloved musical limited in its appeal. Fodder for arts students to use on their auditions. But it is great material that worked well on the stage.

As a movie? Tastefully done. But you're only kidding yourselves if you think it's going to rank alongside WEST SIDE STORY, SINGING IN THE RAIN, SOUND OF MUSIC, MY FAIR LADY, even GREASE, in terms of being benchmarks of the film genre.

And don't embarass yourself by trying to argue that, because you'll only come off looking incredibly stupid.

Perspective, people. Some of you are letting the good reviews cloud any reasonable judgement you might have.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 54112/06/2012

[quote]Sam Barks' film vox don't do any justice to what she's capable of. Even if it is supposed to be "talk-singing."

That's the problem. Apart from the recitative, the songs aren't supposed to be talked-sung. Jackman, Hathaway, and Barks have great voices, but they're not given their full potential in this film.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 54212/06/2012

[quote] But you're only kidding yourselves if you think it's going to rank alongside WEST SIDE STORY, SINGING IN THE RAIN, SOUND OF MUSIC, MY FAIR LADY, even GREASE, in terms of being benchmarks of the film genre.

And yet you're implicitly stating the opposite before it even comes out...

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 54312/06/2012

Someone on LES MIZ's IMDb page posted this in defense of the talk-singing:

[quote]And I'm sure My Fair Lady would have been MUCH better if they had just replaced Rex Harrison with someone who could actually sing.... or replace Julie Andrews with someone who could really sing would indefinitely have improved the Sound of Music! She was such a movie star!

I just can't even...

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 54412/06/2012

And, R543, it's almost like they used some bad takes of them talk-singing.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 54512/06/2012

Does Aaron show his feets?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 54612/06/2012

No 15 Oscar nominations?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 54712/06/2012

Anne Hathaway's PR team is in crisis talks right now. Anne is considering handing out the crafts awards to gain favor with the Academy.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 54812/06/2012

"And I'm sure My Fair Lady would have been MUCH better if they had just replaced Rex Harrison with someone who could actually sing.... or replace Julie Andrews with someone who could really sing would indefinitely have improved the Sound of Music! She was such a movie star!"

Take a deep breath and ignore the urge to educate; it would take a master class to explain to this person why just about every facet of his or her argument is full of shit.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 54912/06/2012

Anne, darling:

Continue dreaming. Reality doesn't favor cloying ingenues like you.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 55012/06/2012

Why does it have to have that rat penis Sacha Baron Cohen in it? He's the only reason I'm thinking of not seeing it, but it's a strong one.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 55112/06/2012

Reminder: Critics do not nominate or vote for Tha Academy Awards. In fact they are nominated and voted for by people in the industry who actually hate critics who are paid to knock their work.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 55212/06/2012

[quote]Reminder: Critics do not nominate or vote for Tha Academy Awards. In fact they are nominated and voted for by people in the industry who actually hate critics who are paid to knock their work.

So you're telling me there's a chance I'll be nominated?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 55312/06/2012

The Playlist: Bloated ‘Les Miserables’ Still Falls Short Despite Strong Performances, Anne Hathaway & Cinematic Grandeur

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 55412/06/2012

[quote]So you're telling me there's a chance I'll be nominated?

Absolutely, Anne!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 55512/07/2012

[quote]Anne Hathaway's PR team is in crisis talks right now. Anne is considering handing out the crafts awards to gain favor with the Academy.

Anne is scheduled to give out the Tech Awards.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 55612/07/2012

"If I were called upon to write a 140-character assessment of Tom Hooper’s weeperific musical extravaganza “Les Misérables,” I’d just laugh. Because I could cover it in fewer than 50: Call me Bessie, ’cos I’ve been thoroughly milked."

D+

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 55712/07/2012

[quote]Anne is considering handing out the crafts awards to gain favor with the Academy.

You misheard. She's offered to man the craft services table backstage if it will gain her some "in" points.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 55812/07/2012

[quote]First things first: Anne Hathaway probably deserves an Academy Award for her performance in Les Miserables. Given how much she throws herself into the role of Fantine, the beleaguered mother who resorts to prostitution and hair-selling to make ends meet, she certainly seems to want one.

[quote]But then again, the entirety of the big-screen adaptation of the classic stage musical seems so aggressively overwrought, so go-for-broke in its intensity, that the whole thing practically screams “OSCAR DARLING,” even as the din of its ambition turns the whole production into a maudlin act of white-noise desperation, underscored by director Tom Hooper’s inability to discern the difference between quiet and loud – not just musically, but as a storyteller and dramatist.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 55912/07/2012

[R11], this will rival Lincoln in every single category.

Except for the ones that Zero Dark Thirty will win.

FWIW, I saw Les Mis last week, and it's spectacular. Acting, cinematography, production design are all top notch. The only teeny, tiny problem (to my ears anyway) is the score, which I didn't care for when I saw the play and which hasn't improved in the intervening years.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 56012/07/2012

The heterosexual academy (that didn't vote for Brokeback) will not vote for a gay musical like Les Miz.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 56112/07/2012

"Chicago" was infinitely gayer than "Les Mis" and the Academy voted for that film.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 56212/07/2012

[quote]"Chicago" was infinitely gayer than "Les Mis" and the Academy voted for that film.

"Chicago" has terrific songs. And the movie was innovatively conceived, and extremely intelligently filmed.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 56312/07/2012

Todd McCarthy:

[quote]As the enduring success of this property has shown, there are large, emotionally susceptible segments of the population ready to swallow this sort of thing, but that doesn't mean it's good.

Stephanie Zacharek:

[quote]Crimes against humanity are often delicate, small and brutal; their effects are long-lasting. Victor Hugo probably could have written 10,000 pages on that subject, but “Les Miserables” just turns it into a cinematic enema. Its garishness is no damn fun.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 56412/07/2012

It's still as camp as a row of tents, R564. Les MIs has significantly less gay appeal, with only Hathaway's role of any interest.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 56512/07/2012

[quote]"Chicago" was infinitely gayer than "Les Mis" and the Academy voted for that film

Chicago had hot women gyrating in skimpy clothing....the hetero academy members had something to enjoy in that film.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 56612/07/2012

I was about to say the exact same thing, r567.

The only problem is the score, r561?

Um, that's a huge problem considering it's a three hour through sung musical!

Some of you people's attempts to talk around this movie's failings are hilarious.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 56712/07/2012

Chicago was a whole lot of mediocrity. I hated it.

Let's hope this is better.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 56812/07/2012

[quote]"Chicago" has terrific songs. And the movie was innovatively conceived, and extremely intelligently filmed.

Not really....they just copied Bob Fosse's ideas from the film version of Cabaret.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 56912/07/2012

[quote] Not really....they just copied Bob Fosse's ideas from the film version of Cabaret.

Fosse had his musical numbers take place in 'the real world' as diegetic songs, with sometimes deliberately ugly camerwork moving all over the place. Chicago is the complete opposite in how slick the editing and camera movements are. If anything, a few of the visual ideas are borrowed from Fosse's All That Jazz.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 57012/07/2012

r571=MARY!!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 57112/07/2012

"Hugh Jackman gives the screen performance of his career"

Better than...WOLVERINE!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 57212/07/2012

Two words for the Anne Hathaway fans...."Kate Hudson"

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 57312/07/2012

Ou etes Mme Stairmaster?

Total slam from David Poland at MCN. And this from the man who normally goes all gooey for musicals.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 57412/07/2012

The Les Miz police are all over any negative reviews today. One of the criticisms is "he didn't see the stage version, so..."- this pisses me off so much!

I expect I'll probably enjoy it but it's possible to enjoy a movie and recognize that it is deeply flawed. I love Midler's Gypsy even though the camera does nothing and the exterior sets are shit.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 57512/07/2012

Who wants to see a movie about sad lesbians? Sounds awful!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 57612/07/2012

Thank you, r571, the music in Chicago is completely different in style, execution and quality than in Les Mis, it was also was actually composed by gay people, and the movie and show are complete Brechtian artifice. In contrast, all of the songs in the film of Cabaret are done in the context of performance within the film taking place in the cabaret where Sally works or, on one occasion, at a beer garden where people erupt into song as they actually might in a beer garden. Marshall's direction is to establish all of the numbers in Chicago as taking place in Roxy's head whereas Fosse completely broke with a theatrical book musical tradition and had all the songs interrupt the narrative action by being actual performances taking place on stage or in a public singalong.

So, sorry, r570, you are simply wrong.

And it also goes to show that the particular style of a musical doesn't make it any more or less oscarworthy. Each movie is judged on its own terms. Les Mis simply is a case of a movie dividing critics and audiences.... and it would appear very broadly.

My question is why so many people who have not seen it have to jump on the bandwagon? Don't you actually want to judge for yourself before you k'vell, condemn, modestly like or "meh" it?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 57712/07/2012

I can't explain why but I have, and never have had, any interest in this story. I think I had to read it in HS and found it so boring that I finally gave up and faked my way through it. My mother has seen multiple regional theater versions of it and the Broadway show and loves it but the idea of it bores the shit out of me.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 57812/07/2012

With these devastating reviews, Anne Hathaway's Oscar chances are now dead. Dead dead dead. Coffee?

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 57912/07/2012

Other Les Miserables Reviews:

"a witless and synthetic entertainment".

"instantly disposable trash."

"drivel"

"none of it added up to Victor Hugo."

"'Les Miserables' has its slow spots and occasional touches of overly insistent pathos-begging."

Those are just snippets from reviews from the original London and Broadway production. The show opened to middling/negative reviews.

60 million audience members and 42 countries later, Les Mis has proven to be critic proof.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 58012/07/2012

The stage show, yes. But the movie has inadequate singing and muted orchestrations, which defeats the purpose of the sung-through format.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 58112/07/2012

Did you see the movie, r582?

Be honest.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 58212/07/2012

Wow! Les Miz is going to go down in flames just like Evita.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 58312/07/2012

It's interesting how OTP nationalistic most of the British media is towards British directors, projects, etc.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 58412/07/2012

Pardon, i mean over the top OTT above.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 58512/07/2012

[quote]Who wants to see a movie about sad lesbians? Sounds awful!

So says the queen that made up the fake thread about wanting to fuck a lesbian he met on Craigslist.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 58612/07/2012

[quote]The Les Miz police

Bwhahahaaha!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 58712/07/2012

See Les Miserables.. in IMAX!!!!! With 8 channel super dynamic stereo sound!

Book your tickets now! Special engagements begin Christmas Day in Imax venues all over America!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 58812/07/2012

Just saw a few of the released clips on youtube. The scene between Crowe and Jackman as he's getting "Parole" is awful. Very forced. I hope that's not indicative of Crowe's performance throughout because it was not impressive at all. Some of the other clips were good.

I'm so not into all singing musicals. Never been an opera fan.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 58912/07/2012

[quote]The stage show, yes. But the movie has inadequate singing and muted orchestrations, which defeats the purpose of the sung-through format.

[quote]Did you see the movie, [R582]? Be honest.

No he hasn't, he basing his vaulted opinion on YouTube clips.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 59012/07/2012

r587, I didn't mean to troll-dar you, I only clicked the prompt to find out what troll-dar is.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 59112/07/2012

So the movie's getting mixed reviews.

It'll still get a shitload of nominations, but only Hathaway is assured a nom, and she sure won't win.

It's between ZDT and Lincoln for the win. Count on it.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 59212/07/2012

It's NOT getting mixed reviews, r593. Les Miserables is one of the best musicals released this year.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 59312/07/2012

Anyone who has a negative opinion has automatically not seen the movie. What logic.

The LES MIS fanatics are just grasping at straws at this point. We went from a bonafide classic that will sweep the oscars to comparing it to MAMMA MIA! This thread has just become a rambling mess.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 59412/07/2012

[quote]Anyone who has a negative opinion has automatically not seen the movie. What logic.

Sorry, but please explain to me how someone who hasn't seen the movie but says it will flop is better than someone who has seen the movie and said the response from the audience was great and award worthy?

There's a determined few on this thread who insist that anybody who's excited for this movie is a blind fangurl or a moron. I'm a fan of Les Mis and theater in general. And to many people this is an exciting event. It's a good thing to see something artistic based on a stage production up on screen.

And this "rambling mess" thread for this movie which is supposed to be an awful flop is about to have it's 600 response. So obviously the movie is generating interest, sorry to upset you.

Getting excited for something worthy of merit is a hell of a better thing for a person to do than hope for failure.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 59512/07/2012

Lets kill this thread.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 59612/07/2012

"There's a determined few on this thread who insist that anybody who's excited for this movie is a blind fangurl or a moron."

When you're taking issue with every single post that has a less than a favorable review of the movie, then if the shoe fits....

"Sorry, but please explain to me how someone who hasn't seen the movie but says it will flop is better than someone who has seen the movie and said the response from the audience was great and award worthy?"

You've never judged whether a movie is any good based on a trailer or clips on Youtube? Yeah, right.

You don't want to read anything negative about the movie. Fine. But realize that you're among adults, and not everyone is going to share the same opinion as you.

I didn't read anyone hoping for the movie to fail until the fanatics started getting hostile with anyone who had something less than flattering to say about the film.

Calling people morons is not going to help your cause. If you want civility, then you should also be civil.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 59712/07/2012

I love the Eponine character. Eagerly anticipating how Samantha Barks fares in the film. I'm such a fan of Frances Ruffelle's original version - she really did seem like a streetwise Parisian sparrow!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 59812/07/2012

[quote]"instantly disposable trash."

Hahahahaha! Les Jiz is over before it even started!

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 59912/07/2012

Way to go loser.

by Lynn Stairmasterreply 60002/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.