Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

4th Season of ‘Downton Abbey’ Confirmed

By Associated Press

Nov. 23, 2012

(LONDON) — British television channel ITV has confirmed that hit drama “Downton Abbey” will return for a fourth season.

Filming of eight new episodes for the award-winning period series will begin in southern England’s Highclere Castle and London’s Ealing Studios early next year.

ITV said Friday that as before, the opening and closing episodes will be feature-length, and that the series will continue the story of the Crawley family and their servants in the 1920s.

The channel said that an extended special episode for next Christmas is also planned.

“Downton Abbey” has won fans worldwide and an average of 11.9 million viewers in Britain watched its third season, which will premiere in the U.S. on PBS in January.

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 2111/27/2012

The original "Upstairs, Downstairs" ran 15 seasons and went from approx. 1910 - 1935.

This is small potatoes by comparison.

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 111/23/2012

[quote]Lady Majorie, lost on the "Titanic"

Ruby, take of the mistress' clothes and get back to peeling them tatties girl.

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 211/23/2012

How far does Season 3 take us, chronologically speaking? I think season 2 ended just after WWI.

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 311/23/2012

Will there be a Christmas special this year?

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 411/23/2012

No Christmas special this year. I wonder why?

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 511/23/2012

Carson, tell Lady Edith that I won't have her negro lover in the house -- even if he does inspire her to scribble vellum-bound poetry. Send a telegram to my wife who has run away with Vita Raging-Dyke to Paris: COME HOME AT ONCE STOP. And give mama a snort of cocaine from that jewelled snuff box. If The Crash is to make us homeless, we need to face Series 5 with a brave face."

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 611/23/2012

Oh and Carson: tell Miss O'Brien to kindly stop referring to my wife as a 'twat-lapping he-lady'. And if Thomas could wash the brown from his bumming finger before he serves me the tea it would be greatly appreciated by us all.

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 711/23/2012

There will be a Christmas special this year. It won't be set at Christmas. Lord and Lady G go to Scotland on holiday. Seriously.

I like Downton but it's pretty erratic. It's become more plot than character driven. They moved it far too quickly for an eight episode a season drama. We're what... a dozen years on from the beginning and nobody looks realistically older. Plus, the original magic is fading... cast defections and her come the replacements... always risky territory.

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 811/23/2012

In season 4 Matthew gets a sex-change operation, the world's first.

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 911/23/2012

Matthew Crawley is not coming back. Poor Lady Mary. Childless and a widow, most likely.

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 1011/25/2012

I'm hoping Matthew and Thomas find true love and set up a nice bed and breakfast in Bath.

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 1111/25/2012

I bet Mary is pregnant and a widow.

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 1211/26/2012

Yeah, Hollywood will be rushing to offer him roles after those stunning reviews he got in "The Heiress."

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 1311/26/2012

I think there may be an opening on "Two and a Half Men."

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 1411/26/2012

He can probably do loads of stuff in the UK. Actors move effortlessly between TV, stage and film there. They're not as hung up on being a star and more about the work, in the main, unless they get sucked into the US system. He's made a name for himself so he'll have a good run Downton or not. Frankly, I don't think he's particularly talented.

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 1511/26/2012

A fourth season? The third season 'finale' was such a non-event that I didn't even realize it WAS the 'finale'!

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 1611/26/2012

Get your hankies out for Season 3.

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 1711/27/2012

R16 Third season hasn't even aired yet.

The first season was riveting. Second season was too much like a soap opera but now I'm invested so will watch when the third season airs in January.

I can't believe that the bonehead writers/producers/what-have-you have let the cat out of the bag and announced that Dan Stevens isn't returning. What a bullshit move. Assholes.

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 1811/27/2012

Reminds me of Colton Haynes and his 'I quit this bitch' departure from MTV's Teen Wolf in the nex season.

Contract negotiation tactic or PR buzz move for the show?

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 1911/27/2012

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 2011/27/2012

[quote]Third season hasn't even aired yet

It has in the UK.

by Dame Maggie Smithreply 2111/27/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!