Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

So Is "Lincoln" #1 At The Box Office, Or WTF?

I'm sure they'll make excuses if this film makes no traction, and is gone within three weeks.

by Anonymousreply 7011/24/2012

It never had a chance of beating Breaking Dawn: Part 2 but it is doing quite well.

by Anonymousreply 111/23/2012

It's made $60 million in two weeks of wide release and should easily cum over $100 million by the end of the year.

Shows how much you know, you freaking dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 211/23/2012

I don't rate movies by how well they do at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 311/23/2012

There's no way any movie out right now would beat Twilight or a James Bond movie at the box office on Thanksgiving weekend. #3 is not a bad slot for a movie about American history.

Your argument is invalid, OP.

by Anonymousreply 411/23/2012

[quote]I don't rate movies by how well they do at the box office. by: charlie

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 511/23/2012

Don't call me "Gigdet" anymore!

by Anonymousreply 611/23/2012

[quote]It's made $60 million in two weeks of wide release and should easily cum over $100 million by the end of the year.

"Lincoln"'s only made $37 million so far.

by Anonymousreply 711/23/2012

It's being heralded as "the number one biopic in America!"

by Anonymousreply 811/23/2012

[quote]"Lincoln"'s only made $37 million so far.

In the US. It's made more than that overseas.

by Anonymousreply 911/23/2012

According to Nikki Finke:

Lincoln (DreamWorks/Fox/Disney) Week 2 [Runs 2,018] PG13 Wednesday $4.2M, Thursday $4.8M (+16%)3-Day Weekend $21.0M, 5-Day Holiday $30.1M,

Cume $58.2M

by Anonymousreply 1011/23/2012

Lincoln, Box Office, Ford Theater, Ticket Booth...

The usual.

by Anonymousreply 1111/23/2012

Movie theaters have been asked not to place Skyfall posters to the direct left of Lincoln posters as it gives the impression that Bond is firing into Lincoln's head.

by Anonymousreply 1211/23/2012

I couldn't believe how boring the movie was. I was so bored and it moved so slowly I almost demanded my money back.

by Anonymousreply 1311/23/2012

The movie should have focused on Mary Todd.

by Anonymousreply 1411/23/2012

[quote]I don't rate movies by how well they do at the box office.

Hollywood does. It's a business.

by Anonymousreply 1511/23/2012

Week #1, what was its box office rank?

I'm guess this week it's #3?

by Anonymousreply 1611/23/2012

[quote]Your argument is invalid, OP.

I didn't make an argument, you dumb fuck. I asked a question.

by Anonymousreply 1711/23/2012

Its first week wide release, did it debut at #1?

It'll win an Oscar even if it bombs. The award's already bought and paid for. They made the announcement before anyone even saw the damn thing. This is the problem with Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 1811/23/2012

Prestige pictures consider box office a gauche obstacle to Oscar success. I've no doubt The Avengers will be nominated for best picture like Avatar but successful films have never won best picture going back to the origins of the award.

by Anonymousreply 1911/23/2012

It's going wider after Christmas and will make more after it earns, I think the technical term is, a shitload of Oscar nominations.

by Anonymousreply 2011/23/2012

[quote]and should easily cum over $100 million by the end of the year

I would easily cum over a $100 million as well. Hell, I'd easily come over $1000.

by Anonymousreply 2111/23/2012

R16, it's first week out was in limited release, so we can't quantify Lincoln's box office place like we can Bond or the vampire movie. It is doing quite well considering it's a dusty drama whose outcome we know. It should reach $100 million in the US once the awards nominations start rolling in. I'd be shocked if it doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 2211/23/2012

R19 Um, off the top of my head..

Forrest Gump Domestic Total Gross: $329,694,499

The Silence of the Lambs Domestic Total Gross: $130,742,922

and then after some searching... The King's Speechtt$135,453,143 t Slumdog Millionaire $141,319,928t

The Departedt $132,384,315

Million Dollar Babyt $100,492,203t

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the Kingt$377,027,325

Chicagot $170,687,518t

A Beautiful Mindtt $170,742,341t

Gladiatort $187,705,427t

American Beautyt $130,096,601t

Shakespeare in Love $100,317,794t

Titanic $600,788,188t

your theory is flawed.

by Anonymousreply 2311/23/2012

Also, "The Sound of Music" was highly popular and it won Best Picture and Director. Many critics dismissed it as corn, but it became not only the highest grossing film of the year but of all time, surpassing "Gone with the Wind"'s 26-year-old record.

by Anonymousreply 2411/23/2012

Wow, r23 - those are some pretty specific box office grosses for off the top of your head. You have an impressive memory.

by Anonymousreply 2511/23/2012

LINCOLN as a movie is nowhere near as successful as Day-Lewis' performance. He's the only reason to see it.

by Anonymousreply 2611/23/2012

I think it should easily surpass $100. million. I will spend my $7. (bargain matinee) this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 2711/23/2012

[quote]Also, "The Sound of Music" was highly popular and it won Best Picture and Director. Many critics dismissed it as corn, but it became not only the highest grossing film of the year but of all time, surpassing "Gone with the Wind"'s 26-year-old record.

It also played for years. In major cities like New York, it played "Roadshow", one huge theater exclusively, shown at 2:00pm and 8:00pm with reserved seats for a year before opening in the rest of the area to "popular prices" and multiple showtimes and still became the biggest grosser. Those days are long gone.

by Anonymousreply 2811/23/2012

You're an idiot, OP. LINCOLN was never going to score #1 opening against SKYFALL and BREAKING DAWN.

Your assertion that it will be "gone in three weeks" is the height of DL stupidity. Learn what you're talking about before throwing shit around next time.

by Anonymousreply 2911/23/2012

R18, all movies (in one version or another) are floating around LA long before they're premiered publicly.

A lot of people had seen "Lincoln" and started the Oscar yapping, especially about DDL. Also, don't discount advance PR on any film. They get out there and talk Oscars for the worst shit imaginable.

by Anonymousreply 3011/23/2012

Just saw a matinee today. Theatre was 90% full. Audience applauded at the end.

by Anonymousreply 3111/23/2012

"Audience applauded at the end."

Why do people do that? I was just at a revival house showing "Gone With the Wind" last weekend and people did that at the intermission and at the end. Both times I wanted to tell the clapping audience, "Vivien Leigh can't hear you. Vivien Leigh is dead."

by Anonymousreply 3211/24/2012

r32 you're not cute.

Did anyone else enjoy picking out the mos in this film, or was it just me?

by Anonymousreply 3311/24/2012

I went to see the film today and had to catch a showing 3 hours later because it was already sold out. (We saw Life of Pi in the meantime, and the lead actor is kind of a cutie). Anyway, theater was packed for Lincoln. I heard people saying they were going to ask for a refund because they couldn't find seats together.

Of course this isn't a good barometer. I live in a liberal city with a university. Where I hail from in the south, this would play like a horror.

I enjoyed the film immensely, but wouldn't say that I loved it. Sally Field* and Tommy Lee Jones stole the show for me.

R32, I completely agree. When I was a kid, I don't remember people applauding at the end of films. And I'm 25, so I'm not talking ancient history. The first time I saw it happen was for Iron Man, and just about every film since. It's a completely bizarre thing to do.

*I'm all about Sally winning #3, and I am no fan of Anne Hathaway, but I did see an extended trailer for Les Miserables this evening and must admit, it looks like Anne is serving some serious dejected prostitute mother realness.

by Anonymousreply 3411/24/2012

It's a movie that appeals to an older, more intelligent audience. Obviously the teenagers and 20-somethings who set box office records aren't going to flock to see it. Look at The King's Speech for a more accurate box office model for Lincoln instead of Twilight.

by Anonymousreply 3511/24/2012

The King's Speech didn't have music and four major leads under 30.

by Anonymousreply 3611/24/2012

R36 what the heck are you talking about? Neither does Lincoln.

by Anonymousreply 3711/24/2012

I think it's #1 per screen.

by Anonymousreply 3811/24/2012

The movie,"Lincoln" is a dialogue heavy, political movie that takes on the issue of slavery in a very direct way, and depicts racism at it's foundations in this country.

It also shows a very stark difference,a huge divide between the South's & the North's perceptions of the Civil War. The South saw itself as another country. They wanted to negotiate as a foreign country in the peace talks.

Lincoln was adamant they were not a country, they were rebels, and the states they lived in were still part of the USA. He didn't want to be punitive as some in his party insisted. He wanted to conciliatory.

I am surprised the movie is doing so well, especially when you consider that our President only got 39% of the white votes, and the South is solidly against him. It was intelligently rendered. Spielberg bet on the intelligence of his audience. So if the movie is doing well, it's encouraging on a lot of levels.

by Anonymousreply 3911/24/2012

Of course they'll make an "excuse." That movies that are no 2 at the box office are generally not 3 hour political histories..

Oh, wait. That's not an excuse. That's just true.

But you knew that.

by Anonymousreply 4011/24/2012

I love you R32!!

by Anonymousreply 4111/24/2012

It's disappointing that Breaking Dawn is doing so well.

I thought the fans were supposed to boycott it after Kristen 'cheated' on Rob? They still went anyway?

by Anonymousreply 4211/24/2012

Can we assume it's not doing well in the south where they're still pissed about losing and all the trouble with negroes since then?

by Anonymousreply 4311/24/2012

[italic]You're an idiot, OP. LINCOLN was never going to score #1 opening against SKYFALL and BREAKING DAWN.

Your assertion that it will be "gone in three weeks" is the height of DL stupidity. Learn what you're talking about before throwing shit around next time.[/italic]

Get some help, hon.

by Anonymousreply 4411/24/2012

[quote]The movie,"Lincoln" is a dialogue heavy, political movie that takes on the issue of slavery in a very direct way, and depicts racism at it's foundations in this country.

And showing what a racist bastard Lincoln was?

by Anonymousreply 4511/24/2012

Lincoln is only at #3 right now and is way behind Breaking Dawn and Skyfall

by Anonymousreply 4611/24/2012

R35 nailed it.

Lincoln will also stand the test of time.

by Anonymousreply 4711/24/2012

The only big money maker surprise on r23's list - to compare it to Lincoln in terms of genre and tone - was The King's Speech; which is still, though it's a very good movie, a shocker as a blockbuster hit. All those other movies are

Although flawed, Lincoln is a great movie. It is also far longer and requires a great deal more intellectual concentration of its audience than The King's Speech. It will not be shocking if it doesn't make big bucks.

But so what?

by Anonymousreply 4811/24/2012

I loved Lincoln but it will not stand a chance against Les Miz as that film will be perceived as commercial and classy/artful.

Maybe, just maybe, DDL and Sally will win but I have a feeling that Hugh's love affair with Hollywood and the rare opportunity to award him an Oscar will carry him over. And Sally's already won 2 more important Oscars so I think Anne will take it.

by Anonymousreply 4911/24/2012

Lincoln was written by Tony Kushner. Everytime they mention his name in Entertainment Weekly, they mention in parentheses that he is Married to EW critic Mark Harris, and I always do a doubletake to see such a casual mention of a man married to a man.

by Anonymousreply 5011/24/2012

Why are people saying it's either/or with Sally and Anne Hathaway? As I see it, Anne is a Best Supporting Actress shoo-in, and Sally is going to win a Best Actress nomination.

Jennifer Lawrence will probably get a nomination, but that will be it. After all, it's a Harvey Weinstein/David O. Russell movie so they are hyping Silver Linings Playbook like crazy. It might make them feel better, but the only thing they could get out of it is Robert De Niro as a Best Supporting actor nominee.

Lincoln could generate multiple Best Supporting Actor noms. David Strathairn, Tommy Lee Jones, even the very surprising James Spader. I think Gloria Reuben may also get some consideration for Supporting Actress. Her scene with Lincoln on the porch where she tells him "who she is" was powerful and very understated.

by Anonymousreply 5111/24/2012

[quote]Why are people saying it's either/or with Sally and Anne Hathaway? As I see it, Anne is a Best Supporting Actress shoo-in, and Sally is going to win a Best Actress nomination.

Disney is submitting Sally in the Supporting Category. If you go to Deadline, you can see what categories they are targeting if you happen to catch one of the rotating "For Your Consideration" ads. They are also only pushing Tommy Lee Jones for Supporting because they don't want a costar competing with him.

Jennifer Lawrence is also probably the frontrunner for Best Actress at this time. Very weak field + Weinstein support + only major category that "Silver Linings" will probably be competitive in.

by Anonymousreply 5211/24/2012

I think that's a wrong-headed approach if it's true, R52. Maybe Deadline got it wrong, or Disney will change their minds. I love Sally and her gay son!

by Anonymousreply 5311/24/2012

Sally is not getting in Lead. She's Supporting.

by Anonymousreply 5411/24/2012

I live in Nashville, saw Lincoln on a week night, and the theater was packed. So, I guess it's doing ok in the south. Most of the audience was over 50. Very few younguns. I didn't care for the movie. Daniel Day Lewis is phenomenal; charismatic, shrewd, intelligent, political, natural. Everyone else acted stiff and waxen, as though they were too aware they were playing an Historic Person. It was dull and boring, even though the subject matter is anything but. It just was ponderous.

by Anonymousreply 5511/24/2012

[quote]Sally is not getting in Lead. She's Supporting.

Sally is getting lead, so just deal with it!

by Anonymousreply 5611/24/2012

I loved the movie, but I think Spielberg blew the very end.

by Anonymousreply 5711/24/2012

Earning 20% more per screen that Twilight and Bond.

by Anonymousreply 5811/24/2012

People applauding is a signal to the rest of the audience. It communicates to them and to people who hear about it (such as yourselves) that they are especially enthusiastic about the film. Word of mouth is what sells films with legs.

by Anonymousreply 5911/24/2012

[quote]Everyone else acted stiff and waxen, as though they were too aware they were playing an Historic Person.

People were much more stiff and formal in the 19th century, especially in the presence of the President.

[quote] I think Spielberg blew the very end.

He does that a lot. Not sure I agree this time. SPOILER ALERT: I don't think we needed to see another rendering of the assassination. Ending with his second inaugural address shows what might have been.

by Anonymousreply 6011/24/2012

I wanted the movie to end with him walking out, to go to the theatre with his wife, with his valet looking at him with a mix of deep pride and affection, tinged with sadness.

The movie that came after that robbed the ending of it's power. I mean, we all know what happened. And btw: Spoiler ALERT: Speilberg doesn't film the assassination itself.

I wonder how many people realize it was a true conspiracy. Lincoln's Secretary of State, Seward (played by David Strathairn) was also badly injured in a simultaneous asassination attempt at his home that night.

by Anonymousreply 6111/24/2012

Another vote for ending the film with Lincoln walking out the door.

What was Spielberg thinking?!?

This was a true no-brainer.

by Anonymousreply 6211/24/2012

Will Keira be nominated for Anna Karenina?

This is truly a sad year for best lead actress. Glenn should have delayed that Albert Nobbs movie to this year.

They're going to have to nominate Meryl for the silly comedy she made with Tommy Lee just to round out the category.

by Anonymousreply 6311/24/2012

It's a flop. I wouldn't want to be Daniel Day-Lewis today.

by Anonymousreply 6411/24/2012

Oh, R64, sandbox time is over. Back to kindergarten.

by Anonymousreply 6511/24/2012

32 is the silly queen who started the thread about teenagers not knowing their attractiveness level. EVERYONE hates these types. Mos refer to them as "silly queers" even.

by Anonymousreply 6611/24/2012

And yet, r62, had he done that all you fussy queens would have been all over him for being melodramatic.

by Anonymousreply 6711/24/2012

So, the OP has been proved to be an idiot. He didn't even know enough to check out the box office.

What a loser.

And his later comments show, he has issues with the whole idea of Lincoln.

by Anonymousreply 6811/24/2012

1. Totally agree that it should have ended with Lincoln walking out to the theater. Everything after that was awful. And I hated the transition shot to the inauguration speech that had him reflected in the flame of a candle. WTF?

2. Did some of those Best Picture winners become super profitable at the box office only after winning the Oscar? For example, was The King's Speech already doing well before winning? Or Million Dollar Baby? I suppose Lincoln could experience second wave enthusiasm/success if it did win.

by Anonymousreply 6911/24/2012

It hasn't yet reached its peak on its FIRST wave of enthusiasm.

by Anonymousreply 7011/24/2012
Need more help? Click Here.