Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Let's have a second helping of dessert or Thanksgiving where you gave your Freeper relatives the what for.

My sister and BIL's new baby has cerebral palsy. They are pretty wealthy and still qualify for help from the government for their baby's expensive and frequent therapy appointments. At the dinner table their other son asked if we voted for Romney. We answered "NO!" and my FIL said "I can't believe so many in this country are so stupid." My husband said "You'll have to be more specific."

The kid said "Why didn't you vote for Romney?" and my husband went right for the jugular and said "Because he wanted to cut off programs that would've helped sick and disabled children like your little sister." The cries of "Let's not talk politics at the dinner table!" were deafening. Any delicious stories from your dinner?

by Anonymousreply 211/23/2012

I pressed some Romney voters and in the end it their votes were based on two things. First, gut reactions: Obama is a radical because he was a community organizer and he hates success/has started a class war. I imagine they are more ready to believe this nonsense because he is black, but I would not call their reasons flat out racist. Second, a purely economic calculation based on who would cost them more in taxes. These people tend to have no faith in government or politicians, so loftier considerations are dismissed.

I was disturbed to learn that both my brother and his wife went to the polls intending to vote for Romney. However, in the end, they both voted Obama.

by Anonymousreply 111/23/2012

Not this Thanksgiving, but at a a family dinner this summer, my uncle was complaining about the freeloaders getting free medical care while he had to pay a premium for his retirement coverage.

My sister pointed out that his $200,000 or so heart bypass surgery cost him $2000 after Medicare and the Humana Medigap coverage. She asked him if he'd pay for her to have a mammogram. He changed the subject.

by Anonymousreply 211/23/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!