Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My husband's dad is racist. So is my Uncle and a co-worker.

I'm not saying every Republican is racist but every racist I know is Republican.

by Anonymousreply 4111/24/2012

That's interesting b/c the only people I know who were victims of drug violence were both white and so were their attackers. And I live right outside Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 211/23/2012

My experience has been every time a white person tells me how racist their parents or other family members are, they are also telling how racist THEY are...

by Anonymousreply 311/23/2012

Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 411/23/2012

My pussy stinks.

by Anonymousreply 511/23/2012

Seems like the Republicans found this thread.

by Anonymousreply 911/24/2012

What R9 said.

by Anonymousreply 1011/24/2012

R9/R10, if you're referring to me at R8, then perhaps you should read some history. And I don't mean the last 10 years. I'm also sure I was a voting and campaigning Democrat before you were an obnoxious, uneducated twinkle in your mommy's eye.

by Anonymousreply 1111/24/2012

I wasn't talking about you, R8. Just everyone before you. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 1211/24/2012

[quote]Yep. I'm not saying every black person is a violent gangbanger, but every violent gangbanger I know is a black person.

That is profoundly ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 1311/24/2012

*Extremely* ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 1411/24/2012

But convenient.

by Anonymousreply 1511/24/2012

So what OP? I'd estimate that probably 80-90% of all blacks are just as racist as the most racist whites.

by Anonymousreply 1611/24/2012

R16 works for Gallup.

by Anonymousreply 1711/24/2012

I think it's safe to say R1 is a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 1811/24/2012

You're right, most racists I have known have been Republican. However, I met my very first homophopbic Democrat back in 2004 during the Bush/Kerry election. He went on and on about how fruits are destroying the Democratic party and who cares about gay rights and we should ship all the fruits to an island and blow it up. He said this to a friend of mine, a closeted gay man as they stood two feet from me. The closeted gay man was saying, "Yeah, yeah, you're right." He ceased to be my friend from that day on. Never saw him ever again. :)

by Anonymousreply 1911/24/2012

R19, that racist Democrat sounds like he's in the blue-collar wing of the party, which has traditionally supported Democrats since they're pro-labor but not really in sync with the party's social progressiveness.

by Anonymousreply 2011/24/2012

Just curious. Why do you guys tolerate it? Why do you go around people, family or not, who are like that? Isn't it tacit acceptance of abhorrent behavior and thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 2111/24/2012

He was R20. The worst part of my story though was the closeted gay guy saying, "yeah, yeah, you're right." How often does that happen? Probably all the time. But, I live in the mid-west where I believe self-loathing is really high - probably just as high as the South.

by Anonymousreply 2211/24/2012

Are they racists or realists?

by Anonymousreply 2311/24/2012

Surely you can troll better than that, R23. It's Saturday; you have all day.

by Anonymousreply 2411/24/2012

I don't tolerate it, I didn't invite my uncle to my wedding and told him why. We don't celebrate holidays with them and we told him it's because his racism is poisonous, I don't want my kid exposed to it. I rag on my co-worker every chance I get to his face.

by Anonymousreply 2511/24/2012

I don't, R21.

by Anonymousreply 2611/24/2012

Well, let's see, R23: Since most of the top ten recipient states of welfare, excuse me, "federal aid" are solidly red (places like ND, WV and AK), then let's call it delusions of grandeur coming from bigoted failures who prefer to blame others for their own lack of accomplishments.

NYS has one of the most diverse populations in the country. A melting pot of immigrants working their asses off to keep red states afloat.

by Anonymousreply 2711/24/2012

There are racists who are dems who feel guilty about being racist and present as non-racist. I know several of those.

by Anonymousreply 2811/24/2012

Please, the entire premise of this thread is bullshit. I am so tired of accusations of everyday racism (as opposed to killing someone.) Almost everyone is a racist. Everyone in the fucking world. I'm not saying it's good - but it's real. Young people included. And many countries/cultures are FAR worse than the U.S.A. Ever traveled outside of the U.S. for a significant amount of time?

R3 has it right - except it can also be black on white racism, or, Asian on white, or white on Asian, or Dominican on Haitian, or ...

You OP, are rightfully offended by what I imagine is your your father-in-law's use of racial remarks such as the n-word (or, if you are black, referring to whites derogatorily.) Then, we hear it's your uncle AND a co-worker, etc., etc.. How many co-workers do you imaging are sitting in their cubes not mouthing off the n-word because HR would have to fire their ass (HR all the while thinking the n-word themselves), but are thinking it?

People are racist. We are hard-wired to be wary of people that look different than we do. We are, and have been for thousands of years, killing each other over petty bullshit, because YOU look different than I do.

The Jews and the Arabs, who are actually members of the same race, and barely different ethnic groups, are kill, kill, killing each other on a daily basis.

Ever been to Japan or China? They don't even think your white/black ass is human. In China you are a "ghost", in Japan, a creature from a different planet or some type of zoo specimen that has gotten loose. Just try walking down the street in Takayama, and you will be mobbed by curious Japanese who will take your picture with members of their family, frequently without any warning or polite words of permission.

I'm not saying we can't change, I'm just saying we aren't there today, November 24, 2012.

by Anonymousreply 2911/24/2012

Democrats who are in unions can be extremely racist and homophobic. The so-called Reagan Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 3011/24/2012

OP=Tagg Romney

by Anonymousreply 3111/24/2012

Not everyone racist but everyone who's racist says that everyone is racist b/c they're racist and they think everyone can be grouped by color or ethnicity. So if they're racist, everyone is.

by Anonymousreply 3211/24/2012

Only the uneducated, poor people are vocally racist. You never see refined, well-to-do people focusing on race issues. They have bigger fish to fry.

by Anonymousreply 3311/24/2012

I'm black, my Dad always said that the people who call you a nigger to your face are never the ones that you should really fear, because at least you know where you stand with them. It's the ones that don't say nigger, who don't even allow it to be spoken in their homes, yet live in lily white neighborhoods, send their kids to lily white schools and all their friends are white are the ones you have to be careful of.

I didn't quite understand that for a long time, then all of my married friends started leaving the city because 'the schools are so much better' in the suburbs. Or they're not 'comfortable' being in the city at night.

I never blame anyone for wanting good things for their families. However, no one ever wants to stay and help improve the city schools or help improve the city so that you can feel comfortable at night.

All racism is wrong, but is the guy who wears his racism on his sleeve any worse than the guy who has moved his family to the suburbs and left them on an island of white?

by Anonymousreply 3411/24/2012

[quote]Just curious. Why do you guys tolerate it? Why do you go around people, family or not, who are like that? Isn't it tacit acceptance of abhorrent behavior and thoughts...

Read R3's post. There is the answer for you.

by Anonymousreply 3511/24/2012

[quote]People are racist. We are hard-wired to be wary of people that look different than we do. We are, and have been for thousands of years, killing each other over petty bullshit, because YOU look different than I do.

BS. Kids aren't racist. They have to be *taught* to be racist. People are killing each other because they have been *taught* to fear others.

by Anonymousreply 3611/24/2012

[quote]People are racist. We are hard-wired to be wary of people that look different than we do

yes, our primate ancestors most likely exhibited fear of strangers common in early human populations too. Most of us have felt the need to rise above that though, no?

by Anonymousreply 3711/24/2012

I hear you R34. There was a story about Piedmont California the other day. There was a push to incorporate it into Oakland but they prefer to be a lily white enclave and reap all the benefits of Oakland without paying for services.

by Anonymousreply 3811/24/2012

Systemic racism is baked into the Republican party, its platform, its words, and its actions.

The same is NOT true for the Democratic Party.

Individuals can be racist or not regardless of party, though these days, you have to at least be very tolerant of racism or outright racist yourself to vote Republican. That's how far over the edge they've gone. (as well as with the anti-gay crap, and that misogyny)

At least these days, racists in the Democratic party know to keep it to themselves, and know it's wrong.

Republicans flaunt it, and think it's the ONE TRUE WAY... just witness any Tea Party assembly if you have any doubts about that.

by Anonymousreply 3911/24/2012

[quote]I'm not saying we can't change, I'm just saying we aren't there today, November 24, 2012.

Great post!

I keep thinking that we have changed though. It's just that you have to take the long view in retrospect.

What's the saying?

"The arc of the moral universe is long but it bends towards justice." MLK

I agree. I grew up in a non-racist atmosphere. We've made a lot of progress in civil righs over the last 50 years. Amazing, really, when you think about it.

There will always be war and humanitarian outrages, and yes, the Israelis will still be fighting the Palestinians, but there are positive changes happening right now, along with the negative ones.

There's a tilting point. All of a sudden, the power shifts, and you either gain or lose traction. I think we've been slowly gaining over the years.

by Anonymousreply 4011/24/2012

OP, why "husband's dad" rather than father-in-law?

by Anonymousreply 4111/24/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!