Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Consciously or subconsciously, did President Obama throw the first debate?

By all accounts it really woke up the base and drove record fundraising.

False flag?

by Anonymousreply 2511/23/2012

Doubtful as it also woke up the Rs and they thought they had a chance. If he did, that was a risky move.

by Anonymousreply 111/22/2012

not a chance

by Anonymousreply 211/22/2012

I believe it was as simple as he didn't feel well. He's human. They couldn't cancel. They never want to show The President as weak, when do you ever hear the President has a cold or the Flu or anything? Never.

by Anonymousreply 311/22/2012

Nope.

If he had done well in the first debate, he would have won even bigger. I think he was taken aback by Aggressive but Moderate Mitt.

by Anonymousreply 411/22/2012

I read somewhere that it had to do with Obama's complete disdain of Romney.

Whatever the reason for his 1st debate performance, he certainly wiped the floor with Mitt in the last two. I almost felt bad and ashamed for Mitt.

by Anonymousreply 511/22/2012

It occurred to me, OP. But, I seriously doubt it. Historically, there are so many people who watch only the first debate. So, no, it would make no sense for Obama to have manipulated a loss of the first debate.

by Anonymousreply 611/22/2012

He was best in the third debate.

by Anonymousreply 711/22/2012

It was a gift.

by Anonymousreply 811/22/2012

the first was the only one I viewed and my impression was:

both candidates came across very honestly, Obama came across like a community organizer, prepared but more interested in building a consensus than fighting. Romney came across exactly like he is, a competitive salesman who will stop at nothing to get what he wants.

by Anonymousreply 911/22/2012

There was nothing "honest" about Romney's performance in any of the debates.

by Anonymousreply 1011/23/2012

It....it....hardly matters now.

by Anonymousreply 1111/23/2012

I'm apparently the only liberal who wouldn't admit defeat on the first debate. I think it was a strategy, be deferential and nice, let the press do the work of point out the lies and give the public the talking point that Mitt is a flip-flopping liar. Let Mitt get cocky and let Obama play "the nicest Negro you know."

Even tho he wasn't a dick in the 2nd or 3rd debate, lots of people said "Obama is angry" "Obama doesn't know how to talk to his betters" (yes, apparently the black President has civilian "betters). He did it on purpose and I also think he was a little rattled at how Mitt completely changed his whole campaign to appear more moderate.

by Anonymousreply 1211/23/2012

I don't know if it was strategery or not, but it did solidify the whole 'etch a sketch' thing. It also woke the base up that, this thing wasn't in the bag and to keep fighting.

by Anonymousreply 1311/23/2012

I think he was so flabbergasted by the barrage of lies, he couldn't respond quickly.

If he had taken time to point out Romney's lies and mistakes, he would have had no time left to talk about his own agenda and accomplishments.

by Anonymousreply 1411/23/2012

I agree with those who say Obama was taken aback by the asshole just telling bald-faced lies. I mean there's lying and then there's lying and even for a politician, Mitt's in a class all his own. Just a vile, lying sack a shit who has gone through life thinking he hit a triple.

by Anonymousreply 1511/23/2012

I agree with R5 and R9: disdain for Rmoney and not interested in being a spectacle. There's a NYT or Wash. Post article out there about the campaign that discusses this.

Obama thought: "Can't you guys see how ridiculous this guy is. You're smarter than that." Unfortunately, as Bill Maher says, nope, sometimes we [Americans] ain't....

But we won -- hooray for us!

by Anonymousreply 1611/23/2012

The voters were so Blue that day....

by Anonymousreply 1711/23/2012

his "handlers" let it be known that he blew off the rehearsals. he was in that "I'm the Prez, bitches" mode. He lucked out that Mitty was so completely, openly lying. the reaction of the Lefties scared Obama into actually preparing for the next debate.

by Anonymousreply 1811/23/2012

"I think he was so flabbergasted by the barrage of lies, he couldn't respond quickly.

David Gergen, on CNN, said as much within minutes after it was over.

by Anonymousreply 1911/23/2012

But really, how much of Romney's "win" of the first debate can be attributed to it being declared as such by the mainstream media?

While I admit to not having seen the first debate in its entirety, in the hour or so of it I did watch, Romney certainly did not come across to me as having a grasp of the issues discussed. On the contrary, I thought he appeared to have been "wired up" on something to the point that he was practically jumping out of his skin. Really, it looked to me as if one of Romney's advisors convinced him that it's be a good idea for him to drink a big glass of Honey Boo-Boo's Go-Go Juice as preparation. I came away from the first debate with the impression that Obama showed, at the very least, much more control of his own faculties.

I'm sure I can't be the only one astonished by the media's declaration afterward that Romney not only came off well in the first debate, but actually scored an overwhelming win. My initial reaction to the reports was to wonder if those reporting the supposed Romney victory saw what I saw.

I will add that I am saying this as someone who is not at all happy with Obama as president. But, at the same time, I will admit to having long ago come to the firm conclusion that Romney would be even worse to have in office. The first debate served as just one more thing confirming my unfavorable opinion of Romney.

by Anonymousreply 2011/23/2012

There was no plus side for blowing the first debate, it just gave republicans more confidence and more money. I think the prez just had a bad strategy that didn't come off looking very good.

by Anonymousreply 2111/23/2012

Obama showed that he was totally disgusted by Romney in the first debate.

Obama feels as though he's truly trying to help the middle class and that Romney is just another slick fat-cat lawyer with no moral center.

I did not watch the full first debate because I found it difficult to watch Obama twisting his face in disgust. It was so raw and honest.

by Anonymousreply 2211/23/2012

Mitt didn't win the first one. Obama lost it.

No one with even a rudimentary knowledge of Mitt didn't know everything coming out of his mouth was a complete 180 from what he had been saying all along prior to that night.

If one's def. of winning is blatant lying and deception, then your def. of winning is along the lines of Charlie Sheen's.

by Anonymousreply 2311/23/2012

R12, I think it was a strategy too. Obama has always used Romney's actions and words against him. I think Obama was fishing for ad material in the first debate. I also think he wanted to move the polls closer to wake up his base. A close race would mean more supportes would show up on election day, IMO. Supporters fearing a likely Romney presidency would be more likely to contribute to Obama's campaign.

by Anonymousreply 2411/23/2012

Aides said Obama was totally disinterested and didn't want to appear as an angry black man. But after Biden came to the rescue by mercilessly beating up Ryan, it boldened Obama (who was still called angry, rude and billigerent) by the media.

by Anonymousreply 2511/23/2012
Need more help? Click Here.