Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is the job market like for history professors?

I mean I know everything is tough but I'm at a Thanksgivng party where a college kid keeps asking how he'd do if he made this his goal....I said we'll ask DL. (be gentile...he's only like 20.)

by Anonymousreply 1611/23/2012

Extremely tough gigs to get, especially at the good schools, i.e., the ones that still offer tenure instead an employment contract.

by Anonymousreply 111/22/2012

I'll be gentile, OP. I don't know any other way...

by Anonymousreply 311/22/2012

It's terrible. Unless he wants to end up flipping burgers, tell him to pick a real major.

by Anonymousreply 411/22/2012

what are "the real majors" nowadays r4?

by Anonymousreply 511/22/2012

Tell him to pick something like Accounting, Computer Programing, Engineering or become an RN if he really wants a job.

by Anonymousreply 611/22/2012

Yeah, r4, if history isn't a "real major" why don't you provide a concise definition. Should we all be ignorant of history and heritage in your sterile, "brave new world"? And OP, it just so happens that I am gentile since I'm not Jewish. tip: leave out the i

by Anonymousreply 711/22/2012

[quote]Unless he wants to end up flipping burgers, tell him to pick a real major.

What an original answer! Did you come up with that hilarious joke all by yourself?

by Anonymousreply 811/22/2012

If he wants to do it, let him do it. But also tell him that scholarship is only 40% of success in the field: 60% is politics. He will have to fight like a tiger for position, reputation, success. If he doesn't heave the heart of a lion, it may crush him. Academe is a snakepit, not a booklined monastery.

My fave history professor is William Percy: he has a fabulous website.(see link) He's everything small minded individuals hate: brave, bold, uncompromising. Including helping to underline through his scholarship -- however aggressively unpopular the truth has now become outside the gates of academe amongst both the general public and gays, the critical place of paederasty in the development of western history and culture. If you care about history, the idea that culture wars are still being fought over shit like this is hugely interesting. If I had a trust fund I'd love to be a scholar squirrel, as Gore Vidal termed it. But I need to earn, so I'm not.

by Anonymousreply 911/22/2012

This thread is useless without nude photos.

by Anonymousreply 1011/22/2012

thanks....he's persian so judging by the other thread...I don't think you guys want nude photos!

by Anonymousreply 1111/23/2012

I think I'll pass, R9, and do please save your predictable indignation for someone else.

I was reading Gore Vidal long before you were born.

by Anonymousreply 1211/23/2012

Sorry, I'm a jew, OP

by Anonymousreply 1311/23/2012

I condole you r13.

by Anonymousreply 1411/23/2012

R4, I notice that on news programs, documentaries and the press and media in general, when it comes to analysis of how the government and political system that affects you and me works they don't reach for the computer programmers, nurses or doctors, engineers or even accountants, they call upon those whose backgrounds are in history, politics, government, the law (most lawyers start with bachelor's degrees in history or a related subject before entering law school)and journalism, which often means, yes, those "useless" English/Communications majors. To name just 2 of the renown historians one might see just on television are Doris Kearns Goodwin and Michael Beschloss who among many others have provided insight and analysis above and beyond lock-step, knee-jerk mentality. So remind me again why history isn't a "real" major. It's kind of like acting, there are many people who study it and want to be actors but only a few make it in Hollywood. There are many who have degrees in history who end up as cab drivers or working in a grocery store or something but at least they tried to develop what they had going on upstairs and if they don't get exactly the employment they wanted, they still have some kind of education which is alot more than being a scumbag gangster who writes graffiti all over the place. If life gives you lemons, make lemonade; accentuate the positive. Who are you to denigrate anybody who takes an interest in a discipline such as history?

by Anonymousreply 1511/23/2012

In the USA, history teachers are really more national propaganda salespeople. Not real academics.

So how well can you sell the American illusion to the masses?

by Anonymousreply 1611/23/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!