Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Calling DL Legal People

What do you call the contract signed by an author hired to adapt a novel into a screenplay for a movie? The contract provides for the transfer of rights, compensation, copyright, etc.

by Anonymousreply 611/23/2012

Isn't it normally a contact of employment with a production company?

by Anonymousreply 111/22/2012

The first step is an option agreement. Do you mean what happens after that?

by Anonymousreply 211/22/2012

Thanks, R2, that's what I mean.

This would be a contract signed by two freelance screenwriters (with their own businesses) hired by a film production company to collaborate on the screen adaptation of a novel. I don't think it would be an employment contract, as they are only commissioned to write the screenplay.

The contract states exactly how much each screenwriter will be paid, the deadline for delivery of the first draft, what happens if they win screenwriting awards, etc. They get paid to write the screenplay and then transfer the rights to the production company.

by Anonymousreply 311/22/2012

You might want both a work for hire contract and a collaboration agreement since there are to be two parties creating the screenplay.

Or you might want a lawyer to get it done right.

by Anonymousreply 411/22/2012

I don't think there's a special name for the contract just because it deals with the adaptation of a novel. In the writers' agreements, try writing in "adaptation" next to (other) and see if anyone gets sued.

by Anonymousreply 511/22/2012

Thanks, everyone, for your answers.

by Anonymousreply 611/23/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!