Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why has Mia Farrow never gotten an Oscar nomination?

For anything?

And yes, I do expect this thread to max out.

by Anonymousreply 7411/29/2012

Mia may not have gotten not even an Oscar nomination but that doesn't mean much anyway. Academy awards are just a kind of policy... She has been nominated and won other awards for her acting. My favourite movies with her are :

Secret Ceremony

Hannah and her Sisters

Another Woman

Death on the Nile

She has played in other great films too i just mentioned the ones that i like more.

Which is your favourite Mia Farrow performance?

by Anonymousreply 111/22/2012

Never deserved one. Only had a career because of her connections.

by Anonymousreply 211/22/2012

Rosemary's Baby should have won her a nomination, but horror is rarely rewarded for anything (though Ruth Gordon was).

I'm surprised she's never been nominated for any of her Woody Allen films. However, Allen has a tendency to have the same actor play variations on the exact same type over multiple movies, so after a while it begins to appear as if they're hardly acting at all.

Another Woman for Best Supporting would be one she would have deserved. She seems a bit crazy now so I can't see her doing a late-career movie that wins her newfound acclaim.

by Anonymousreply 311/22/2012

I disagree. In some of her performances, she was really good and very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 411/22/2012

I think if someone took a chance on Mia Farrow she would surprise people. She could do very interesting work on, maybe, "American Horror Story" or in a small supporting role in an independent film.

She needs a little something which would humbly showcase her abilities just for what they are and that would be more with character work than starring work.

I've met her on more than a few occasions because of a charity we are both involved in. She is a very empathetic and intelligent lady who is very caring. She is the type who enters the room, makes a quick read of the situation, and always goes toward the wallflower who is off all by there lonesome first before chatting with anyone else. I like that about her very much because it is indicative of someone who is not self involved to the point of no return.

by Anonymousreply 611/22/2012

Even Bette Davis had good words to say about Mia Farrow, can you imagine that? !!!!! I read that in Bette Davis' biography 'The Girl Who Walked Home Alone'. Bette didn't like Mia's father. 'I really didn't get along with the director, John Farrow, but years later i adored his beautiful, talented daughter.'(224 page) In this biography also it is mentioned in page 266 that Bette had an especially warm feeling toward 'that beautiful, dear young actress of truly great talent, Mia Farrow. Her father directed me you know.'

by Anonymousreply 711/22/2012

I have a feeling she might win the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award one day.

by Anonymousreply 811/22/2012

Keep waiting, OP.

by Anonymousreply 911/22/2012

[uote]Never deserved one. Only had a career because of her connections.

Horseshit. Watch "See No Evil", it's on TCM occasionaly. Mia is the best actor to portray a blind person since Patty Duke in "The Miracle Worker", better than Audrey Hepburn. She deserved a nomination but as said above, it was a thriller.

Robbed of nominations for...

"Rosemary's Baby"

"See No Evil"

"Broadway Danny Rose"

"Purple Rose Of Cairo"

especailly "Radio Days".

by Anonymousreply 1011/22/2012

Mia as an actress is underrated today. I think her personal life made some doors close behind her and that's not exactly fair. Of course her priorities changed with the passing of years too. She is an eccentric woman in a humble way, isn't she? She is strange, actually.

by Anonymousreply 1111/22/2012

She resembled Gwyneth Paltrow, the way she looked i mean when she was younger. Different lifestyles, but there is some similarity in their faces and in their aura. Mia was more poetic and tiny than Gwyneth though when she was younger Have you ever thought about that too?

by Anonymousreply 1211/22/2012

R10, She was brilliant in Rosemary's Baby, but pretty much just Mia Farrow in everything else.

R6, Glad to hear she is a kind person.

by Anonymousreply 1311/22/2012

My favorite was Secret Ceremony, haven't seen this movie in ages.

by Anonymousreply 1411/22/2012

It's because Rex Reed always called her on her dirty toe nail.

by Anonymousreply 1511/22/2012

My favorite Farrow performances - "Death on the Nile" and, especially, "Purple Rose of Cairo"

by Anonymousreply 1611/22/2012

Now really, she seemed to grab every role that the raving genius Woody Allen wanted to shove at the moviegoing public. And what about "A Wedding?" I hope you Robert Altman freaks who post on here invested a lot of money in it. But the classic description of her was in the old Walter Scott's :Personality Parade in the old Sunday Parade Magazine:

Q. Does Mia Farrow have any acting ability?

A. She keeps much of it secret.

They ran it with her picture.

by Anonymousreply 1711/22/2012

Purple rose of cairo was wonderful

"Broadway danny rose" is a great role for her

by Anonymousreply 1811/22/2012

R3 If anyone deserved an oscar nomination for another woman it would have been gena rowlands. She did win a golden globe as best newcomer and has been up for it a few other times. I think her best shot was for rosemarys baby and some woody allen films. She still acts here and there so she might get one some day. She has been in more miss films than hits. I think in her woody films it seems she has been overshadowed by other actors in the cast. I.e. dianne wiest judy davis who got noms and won in wiests case. But some actors never get nominated. Donald sutherland about 50 years as an actor. Many films but not one nomination.

by Anonymousreply 1911/22/2012

Both Farrow and Taylor deserved an Oscar nomination in 'Secret Ceremony'. On the other hand, who cares about the Oscars anyway? They have become dryly academic and predictable.

by Anonymousreply 2011/22/2012

[quote] She could do very interesting work on, maybe, "American Horror Story" or in a small supporting role in an independent film.

She has a small part in Todd Solondz's most recent movie, "Dark Horse." She plays Christopher Walken's wife.

by Anonymousreply 2111/22/2012

Wonderful actress and at least as good as some of those drekky performances that get rewarded for BS reasons.

by Anonymousreply 2211/22/2012

Mia was hilarious in Broadway Danny Rose.

by Anonymousreply 2311/22/2012

I haven't seen anything from it, but i have heard from a lot of different people that Mia Farrow was a sensation in the series 'Peyton PLace'.

by Anonymousreply 2411/22/2012

She was brilliant in "See No Evil" as mentioned by a previous poster. Truly talented actress who has been overshadowed by personal issues.

by Anonymousreply 2511/22/2012

I would love to find somewhere available the movie 'Full Circle ' (it is also named 'The Haunting of Julia). Mia Farrow and Keir Dullea star in it. This is the plot of it: After the death of her daughter, Julia Lofting, a wealthy housewife, moves to London to re-start her life. All seems well until she is haunted by the sadness of losing her own child and the ghosts of other children.

Interesting uh?

by Anonymousreply 2611/22/2012

[quote]I would love to find somewhere available the movie 'Full Circle ' (it is also named 'The Haunting of Julia).

Ever thought of googling it?

by Anonymousreply 2711/22/2012

Loved Mia in TV's Peyton Place. Great show every Tuesday and Thursday night at 9:30. Ryan O'Neal and Barbara Parkins too.

by Anonymousreply 2811/22/2012

Mia really was the biggest female star of the mid to late 60's. Peyton Place put her on the map and then she hooked up with Sinatra. She left PP to marry him and then starred in Rosemary.

I used to think her acting was pretty blah but I bought the entire 514 eps of PP and was stunned by the transformation her character Allison Mackenzie went through, after finding out she was illegitmate, hit by a car and reverted to memory loss that blocked out painful relationships with her father and boyfriend. When she left the show, she complained the writers didn't know what to do with her character. However she was stunning when Allison finds the dead boyd of Ann Howard(Susan Oliver) in the ocean, and then sets about losing her mind. The final PP eps she did showcase her character losing her mind and wandering out of town in a daze. She did a great job and deserved an Emmy. She was unpopular with a lot of her peers and older Hollywood who didn't like her Sinatra fling.

by Anonymousreply 2911/22/2012

Vidal Sassoon!

by Anonymousreply 3011/22/2012

Hark, I hear the cannons roar. Is it the King approaching?

by Anonymousreply 3111/22/2012

She deserved two nominations: Rosemary's Baby and Broadway Danny Rose.

She supposedly lost out for Rosemary because Frank Sinatra divorced her during filming and he supposedly badmouthed her and actively tried to get people not to vote for her. Plus she was a TV actress at that point and there was a stigma to that back then.

For Danny Rose she got swept away by the trio of farm wives. That was an odd year. Mia and Kathleen Turner for Romancing the Stone gave two of the most acclaimed performances of the year yet they were beat out by Judy Davis' controversial and mainy say disappointing work in A Passage to Sissy Spacek just doing average work in an average film...The River.

by Anonymousreply 3211/22/2012

She got caught up in that psycho cinema trend in the late '60's/early '70's: "Secret Ceremony" etc., unprofitable weirdness. Bad choices, she lost momentum and faded.

by Anonymousreply 3311/24/2012

R33 that's only your poor mean opinion.

by Anonymousreply 3411/24/2012

R26 - that sounds a lot like the plot of "Bunny Lake is Missing", also starring Keir Dullea et moi.

And as we all know:

[quote] Keir Dullea, gone tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 3511/24/2012

I wish she had been nominated for The Purple Rose of Cairo. Not sure who she should've replaced, though. Maybe Anne Bancroft for Agnes of God?

by Anonymousreply 3611/24/2012

She moved to England in 1970 and stayed until 1979. She married Andre Previn and started to have a big family. She decided she'd be in films that were convenient to her Surrey home, on top of that, England's film industry was in terrible, no wonder she had a lean time, until she met Woody Allen when she returned to New York in 1979. Most of her films of the 70s were really bad.

This is Follow Me from 1972...bookmarked at Mia's first appearance

by Anonymousreply 3711/24/2012

Because she was a shitty actress with a stupid haircut.

by Anonymousreply 3811/24/2012

Anyone remember her in the made for tv movie "Goodbye Raggedy Ann?"

by Anonymousreply 3911/24/2012

As much as I loved her in most of the Woody Allen films he cast her in, it's hard to imagine what Manhattan Murder Mystery would have been like had she been in it instead of Diane Keaton. (I can't imagine anyone other than Keaton in that role.)

And as good as she was in a few other films (like Death on the Nile and The Haunting of Julia), she's just flat-out awful - and all wrong - in The Great Gatsby.

by Anonymousreply 4011/24/2012

One to avoid is "John and Mary", with Dustin.

by Anonymousreply 4111/24/2012

[quote]She supposedly lost out for Rosemary because Frank Sinatra divorced her during filming and he supposedly badmouthed her and actively tried to get people not to vote for her. Plus she was a TV actress at that point and there was a stigma to that back then.

I highly doubt that. 1968 had an extremely competitive Best Actress lineup. Plus, Sinatra stayed close with her right up until his death.

-Barbra Streisand- Funny Girl

-Joanne Woodward- Rachel, Rachel

-Vanessa Redgrage- Isadora

-Patricia Neal- The Subject Was Roses

-Katharine Hepburn- The Lion In Winter

All were great performances.

by Anonymousreply 4211/25/2012

She's crazy & unloved in Hollywood. End of story

by Anonymousreply 4311/25/2012

I agree her best performance is in "Purple Rose of Cairo." She should have been nominated for that and for "Rosemary's Baby."

Her kookiness and her reputation as a husband stealer hurt her when she was young, and then she turned everyone off when she went nuts with the allegations Woody molested her youngest daughter (everyone felt sorry for her that he ran off with Soon-Yi, but she hurt her case by making an allegation no one believed that seemed prompted by her hysterical reaction to the Soon-Yi story).

by Anonymousreply 4411/25/2012

She deserved nominations for:

Broadway Danny Rose

The Purple Rose of Cairo

Rosemary's Baby

by Anonymousreply 4511/25/2012

r19 don't you think that Sutherland will do one or two good supporting character performances and get at least one nom if not win? the Academy loves to reward very overlooked actors in their later years with the supporting award - see Christopher Plummer.

Same for Farrow. One or two good character parts in a "comeback" and she'll get a nom.

by Anonymousreply 4611/25/2012

r42 if you don't believe me....ask Robert Evans producer of Rosemary's Baby...or read his bio. Sinatra gave her an ultimatum. The film was taking too long and he wanted her to go on location with him on his next film. Sinatra told her she had to quit the film or he'd divorce her. She tried to quit. Evans took her to see the dailies and said she was so brilliant she'd win an Oscar and become a huge movie star. He said her eyes glowed with the praise and she got the nerve to refuse Sinatra.

Frank and Mia only got close again after the divorce.

Vanessa Redgrave in Isadora was the surprise nominee.

by Anonymousreply 4711/25/2012

Didn't Sutherland just win an Emmy for something?

by Anonymousreply 4811/25/2012

I don't really get the love for Farrow on DL. She was incredibly fortunate in the 60s, making the leap from TV to high-profile movies, but she's been notoriously miscast (GATSBY, about half of the Allen movies) as often as not. She has some charm and beauty (or did, as a young woman), but she's an incredibly limited actress. I think she's pretty bad in some high profile Allen projects like ALICE. But to each his own.

by Anonymousreply 4911/25/2012

PS: ANOTHER WOMAN is a ridiculous, pretentious movie, as bad as INTERIORS. No one deserves an acting nom when the film itself is that bad.

by Anonymousreply 5011/25/2012

she is loved because of Rosemary' truth she was really just a mattress with an eating disorder.

by Anonymousreply 5111/25/2012

Sinatra was not all that popular or powerful in 1968 to sway any Oscar nomination voting.

It was a tough year. She should have gotten Streisand's nomination.

by Anonymousreply 5211/25/2012

hello r52....the Academy is always old...they were all his cronies from the past. They are not the popular or powerful people of the begone! r52!!!

by Anonymousreply 5311/25/2012

He wasn't that popular with the older AMPAS voters either.

by Anonymousreply 5411/25/2012

read Evans Book !!!!!! I'm just repeating what he said!!!!!!!!! Sinatra won an Oscar how could he not be popular with them?!?

by Anonymousreply 5511/25/2012

[quote]Sinatra won an Oscar how could he not be popular with them?!?

I have no idea!!!

by Anonymousreply 5611/25/2012

I don't doubt Sinatra tried and I know what Robert Evans wrote. That doesn't make his assessment correct.

by Anonymousreply 5711/25/2012

She's just not a great actress, plus her voice is insufferable. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 5911/25/2012

[quote]everyone felt sorry for her that he ran off with Soon-Yi, but she hurt her case by making an allegation no one believed that seemed prompted by her hysterical reaction to the Soon-Yi story).

so untrue r44. The "hysterical reaction was made by a nanny who found Allen sticking his face in the daughter/toddlers crotch and sniffing it. Mia immediatly took the child to a doctor to see whether or not she had been penetrated. (she hadn't) She then confronted Allen to who admitted to having a problem when it came to the little blonde girl. She then stood by him and said they will face his problems and get him help. They both began therapy to help him over his attraction to the child. Then the Soon Yi thing happened. The Connecticut police force then started a police investigation because unbeknownst to Mia or Allen... a doctor automatically has to contact law enforcement officials if a child is brought in with suspicions of child molestation. When the info of the police investigation hit the was about to hit the press, Allen launched a preemptive attack on Farrow accusing her of being a bad mother and suing for custody of the three youngest children. He was practically laughed out of court in the custody battle. On the witness stand he didn't even know what schools or grades the kids were in or went to. Read the stuff about the trial (there is even a TV movie) it is interesting stuff and doesn't make Allen look good.

by Anonymousreply 6011/25/2012

Yet, Farrow defended child rapist Roman Polanski.

by Anonymousreply 6111/25/2012

[quote]I think she's pretty bad in some high profile Allen projects like ALICE. But to each his own.

I think that's because it was a bad film.

[quote]I don't really get the love for Farrow on DL.

I think DL is very polarized on Mia. Real love or hate thing and I've found that to be so in the real world too.

by Anonymousreply 6211/25/2012

Count me in the absolutely adore her column. I think she's a captivating beauty and brilliant in a subdued way in most of her Allen roles.

Purple Rose of Cairo, Broadway Danny Rose, Alice, Radio Days, Hannah and Her Sisters, Another Woman- all magnificent performances.

I'm sad she doesn't have an Oscar (nomination), but at least we have all her Woody Allen films on DVD to treasure forever.

by Anonymousreply 6311/25/2012

Her autobiography is one of the best I've ever read. She's very honest about her faults but it says a lot that both her ex- husbands came to her defense during the Woody Allen mess. I think she can be bad in things but her performances in Rosemary's Baby and Broadway Danny Rose are truly wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 6411/25/2012

She's a real one-off. An original. There's no one like her.

A talented actress. Great timing. She can do comedy and she can do drama. Some of the Woody Allen films were ill-conceived, but she was far too involved with her huge family to focus on her career, so she just did the best with what Woody gave her and mostly rose to the challenge. Even Woody, after all that's happened, still says he thinks she's a terrific actress.

Also, I agree, her book is one of the best 'Hollywood' biographies I've read. Quite a life she's had.

She was a natural from the can be witnessed if you buy the Peyton Place dvds.

One thing I don't understand though. She never seemed to do any training. Her father died when she was 18. The family needed money so she got herself into a few plays and then the gig at Peyton Place.

by Anonymousreply 6511/25/2012

She gave many wonderful performances including Rosemary's Baby, See No Evil, and Hannah and Her Sisters. Wonderful, captivating actress.

by Anonymousreply 6611/25/2012

Mia Farrow had three potential shots at a best-actress Oscar nomination.

[italic]Rosemary's Baby[/italic] (1968) - A loaded best-actress lineup, which did not include Farrow, consisted of Katharine Hepburn ([italic]The Lion in Winter[/italic]), Patricia Neal ([italic]The Subject Was Roses[/italic]), Vanessa Redgrave ([italic]Isadora[/italic]), Barbra Streisand ([italic]Funny Girl[/italic]), and Joanne Woodward ([italic]Rachel, Rachel[/italic]). Winners: Hepburn and Streisand, in a tie. Potentially, Gena Rowlands could have also been nominated for [italic]Faces[/italic].

[italic]Hannah and Her Sisters[/italic] (1986) - This is one Farrow should have had. Nominations went to Jane Fonda ([italic]The Morning After[/italic]), Marlee Matlin ([italic]Children of a Lesser God[/italic]), Sissy Spacek ([italic]Crimes of the Heart[/italic]), Kathleen Turner ([italic]Peggy Sue Got Married[/italic]), and Sigourney Weaver ([italic]Aliens[/italic]). Winner: Matlin. Potential nods could have been garnered by Cathy Tyson ([italic]Mona Lisa[/italic]) and Chloe Webb ([italic]Sid & Nancy[/italic]).

[italic]Alice[/italic] (1990) - The awards season began with Farrow taking best actress from National Board of Review. Oscar nods were given Kathy Bates ([italic]Misery[/italic]), Anjelica Huston ([italic]The Grifters[/italic]), Julia Roberts ([italic]Pretty Woman[/italic]), Meryl Streep ([italic]Postcards from the Edge[/italic]), and Joanne Woodward ([italic]Mr. and Mrs. Bridge[/italic]). Winner: Bates.

by Anonymousreply 6711/25/2012

Mia Farrow played in a number of really good movies. Her performances were interesting and not dull.

by Anonymousreply 6811/27/2012

OT - it must really chap Woody Allen's aged, pedo ass that his only biological child, Ronan Farrow, won't give him the time of day. The guy is brilliant; he graduated from college at the age of 15 and has a law degree from Yale. On top of that, he's gorgeous. On Father's Day he tweeted,

"Happy father's day -- or as they call it in my family, happy brother-in-law's day."

by Anonymousreply 6911/28/2012

She won a well deserved Nat Board of Review award for Alice, where she's hilarious in her scene where she, under metaphysical influence, turns into a sex kitten seducing Joe Mantegna. She was also heartbreaking in Purple Rose of Cairo and, playing against type, totally winning in Broadway Danny Rose. And she was superb in Rosemary's Baby.

She's very good in Hannah but it is not a lead performance. There is no lead in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 7011/28/2012

Mia Farrow will be calling in to the Roseanne and Johnny KCAA radio show this Sunday.

[italic]Mia Farrow is my Guest on Sunday December 2

By Becky | Podcasts & Radio Shows

Mia Farrow will be my Guest on Sunday’s Radio Show. We will be discussing the Congo. Tune in at 11:00am Pacific Time to and Listen Live via UStream[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 7111/29/2012

Haunting of Julia is on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 7211/29/2012

Other than Rosemary's Baby and Broadway Danny Rose, there's not much there there.

by Anonymousreply 7311/29/2012

[quote]PS: ANOTHER WOMAN is a ridiculous, pretentious movie, as bad as INTERIORS. No one deserves an acting nom when the film itself is that bad.

WHAT!? I love this film. Thoughtful, sad, startling, and finally triumphant! I have seen it a dozen times, and Mia is very good in her supporting role. It's the best role Gena Rowlands ever played, and she too is excellent in it.

After multiple viewings, Mia is deliciously good in Robert Altman's "A Wedding" (with no lines!), and especially "Death on the Nile" as the unhinged Jacqueline De Bellefort! She's very bizarre and wonderful in it.

Her very sweet and funny role in "Radio Days" is another possible Best Supporting Actress nom she easily might have been given.

by Anonymousreply 7411/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!