Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

WIpe Out Homophobia on Facebook...

When did it become the "All tranny all the time" page?

I am all for supporting transexuals, but theres is a different struggle and I'm tired of seeing it lumped in with gay rights.

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 3211/23/2012

Womens rights are different. Animal rights are a different struggle. But it's all part and parcel of humanitarianism. And enriches everyone.

by Anonymousreply 111/22/2012

I actually think it hurts us, but oh well.

by Anonymousreply 211/22/2012

If gays are "born this way" yet trans need surgery to be how they were born....seems to dilute the born this way argument.

by Anonymousreply 311/22/2012

The eldergays don't give a shit. They're too busy scanning the Breaking Boy News Facebook page...

by Anonymousreply 411/22/2012

This is going to make me unpopular, R3, but I see transexuality as a very hard slap in the face to gay rights and to feminism.

My struggle was to accept myself the way I AM.

Theirs is to hate who they are to the point of taking dangerous hormones and mutillating their genitals.

My view of the world is that you can feel and do anything you want regardless of your given genitals.

Their view is that men should feel and behave a certain way, while women should feel and behave in a different way. If their feelings don't "match up" with their genitals, then they perceive themselves as being "wrong" to the point of taking drugs and hacking up their bodies.

It flies in the face of the principles taught to us by feminism and gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 611/22/2012

Science > feminism.

by Anonymousreply 711/22/2012

Also, for good or for ill, allowing them to attach themselves to our cause results in a lot of those on the fence to fall into the "they're all a bunch of freaks" side.

And you all know it.

by Anonymousreply 811/22/2012

Yeah, OP, first drop the "tranny" nonsense before you get all like you have adult principles.

As for the rest of it: shrug if off. What people do with or feel about their own bodies does not inhibit your freedom or challenge your identity. If you can't get your head around it, well, okay. That's your thing. But trans women and men are everywhere subject to aggressive social and legal discrimination, and that is not cool. If they're not safe, neither are we.

by Anonymousreply 911/22/2012

[quote] allowing them to attach themselves to our cause results in a lot of those on the fence to fall into the "they're all a bunch of freaks" side.

Yes, and as we all know, LGBT causes are all about pleasing the straight people and not rubbing their noses in it. I mean, so long as it stays in the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 1011/22/2012

I'm totally supportive of trans people and their issues, but I also think that being trans and being gay/lesbian/bisexual have almost nothing to do with each other. The LGB and the T need to be separated.

by Anonymousreply 1111/22/2012

Hurts "us"? Where to begin, OP....

First of all, how old are you? (Keep in mind that your use of "theres" for "theirs" reads as if you are still in grammar school.). In the last 20 years alone, we have seen a country in a gay panic trying to ban gay people from the military, only to have that ban repealed, and the even older ban on "homosexual conduct" thrown out with it. The gay panic that led to DOMA has been replaced by an unprecedented surge in same-sex marriage rights, including electing a President who supported gender neutral marriage laws.

During that same time frame, the Supreme Court has struck down laws criminalizing gay sex and has held that anti-gay discrimination can be unconstitutional, setting a precedent for a wave of gay rights cases in federal courts helping gay people.

More gay people live our lives openly, hate crime against us is down, more kids grow up today grow up with not only acceptance but parents happy with their gay kids' relationships and achievements.

So do tell us how it hurts "us"... while the trans community is still under attack.

And how you define "us" is bound to be... interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1211/22/2012

Idiot OP, among other problems with your post, it should be "THEIRS" is a different struggle.

by Anonymousreply 1311/22/2012

You shouldn't call trannies trannies. They find it really offensive for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 1411/22/2012

What I found interesting after learning more about the trans community was that once they receive their reassignment a trans man can legally marry a woman because he is now legally a man and vice versa. It never had occurred to me before.

One thing that bothered me though is that it seems that once an individual receives their surgery and is in the type of body they want and fully take on that gender (if that is the correct term) any life lessons or benefits of their previous life seems to be lost. Instead of becoming more understanding or a beautiful blend of masculine and feminine it appears they just follow the usual conditioned behaviors of men and women.

by Anonymousreply 1511/22/2012

OMG r5, a little warning. Disgusting. I hope no one who clicks the link has anyone walking behind them.

by Anonymousreply 1611/22/2012

Whoops my finger slipped. I meant r4. sorry r5

by Anonymousreply 1711/22/2012

Can't we all just love each other?

by Anonymousreply 1811/22/2012

[quote]but theres is a different struggle

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 1911/22/2012

Wymyn-born-Wymyn are the only ones who count, unless the M-to-F can find my G-spot.

by Anonymousreply 2011/22/2012

TROLL trying to sow dissent and hatred among gays.

Not buying it.

by Anonymousreply 2111/22/2012

Exactly, R5 and R12! Well said.

by Anonymousreply 2211/22/2012

R21 FTW!

by Anonymousreply 2311/22/2012

It's become impossible to have this discussion because transsexualism has been embraced in a knee-jerk way that won't allow critical thinking.

The fact is that gender identity itself is a complete construct, so no one can be 'born in the wrong body.' Patriarchy creates this gendered binary so it can hierarchically enforce oppression. Ultimately you have the body and chromosomes you have, but your behavior, thinking, feelings, etc, are not gendered. All of that differentiation is constructed by patriarchy and we internalize and enact it.

So when a woman says she's really a 'man in a woman's body', and she's basing this on her behavioral preferences and her perception of 'appropriate' gender behavior, she is enacting sexism, not 'finding her true self.' There's been this huge movement among lesbian women to suddenly identify as 'transmen.' Go look them up on Youtube. They identify 'being a man' in completely sexist ways, and it's all based on sexist ideas about behavior.

Transsexualism is completely comparable to the ex-gay movement, but no one dare say it because the trans community is so aggressive and militant.

by Anonymousreply 2411/22/2012

R21...yes, that's the way DLers try to shut down unpopular ideas now, isn't it...everyone who has an unpopular idea is a troll trying to create dissent. Because dissent, as all freepers will tell you, is a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 2511/22/2012

R24 has a point but is quite misguided in applying it to all transgendered people

by Anonymousreply 2711/22/2012

So, OP, let me understand this... rights given to someone else are equal to rights denied homosexuals?

What, are we rationing human rights because there aren't enough to go around?

by Anonymousreply 2811/22/2012

I wish we could go back to just plain LG, guess I'm a purist. I missed the vote when the BT was added.

by Anonymousreply 2911/22/2012

amen R30.

r24's point, r27, is not just misguided its offensive. Anyone who knows history knows that we were ALL considered mentally ill and, in this century, that was used to deny us most of our rights. That's just one of the many reasons we're linked -- because we want the right to control our bodies and not be discriminated against because in some aspect of our lives we don't do what "normal" boys and girls do. And trans people have had the same problems we have -- having their "same-sex" marriages invalidated once the trans spouse's "true sex" was outed.

there's a big difference in therapy designed to suppress nonconformity by nuts who think our bodies are god's way of telling us who we should be and doctors offering to help people who are making choices for themselves, including surgery, to live their own lives their way

The group we should be outraged about is being ignored - the "intersexed" children who are subjected to sex assignment surgery because their doctors and parents want them to be "normal" boys and girls. These kids became surgical experiments which is now standard treatment because doctors discovered their "true sex" through genetic testing and x-rays and became outraged that a genetic female with a large clitoris that looked like a penis could have "homosexual" relationships with women.

but selfish, ignorant people like the OP don't get that, no matter how many trans people have helped us fight for our rights

by Anonymousreply 3111/23/2012

This post is why people say gays are pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 3211/23/2012
Need more help? Click Here.