Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Al Gore for Secretary of State?

Should Obama consider it?

by Anonymousreply 6511/24/2012

Actually I thnk he would be better as Secretary of the Interior since he seems committed to environmental concerns and efforts.

by Anonymousreply 111/22/2012

Climate change affects the whole world in numerous ways. Gore would be an excellent person for the role.

Plus, I want to see the reaction by Limbaugh and the rest of the rabid right.

by Anonymousreply 211/22/2012

Would Senate Republicans filibuster an ex-senator and ex-vice-president? That would be a spectacle.

by Anonymousreply 311/22/2012

I don't think he'd want or be able to return to politics....(rumors have it that he has had a lot of depression issues since the 2000 loss/theft---who can blame him?)

by Anonymousreply 411/22/2012

R4 - after the confirmation hearings, he wouldn't be needing to be in the public eye all that much. It's not like running for office.

by Anonymousreply 511/22/2012

The schedule and the rigors of being SoS wouldn't be good for someone who has had issues with depression lately. The travel schedule alone could wreak havoc on the hardiest of systems, never mind the pressure inherent to the job.

by Anonymousreply 611/22/2012

Aww the little freeper baby at r7. What's the matter, did Hillary take your binky?

There there. Come suck at uncle Rove's teat before you go back to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 911/23/2012

No to Gore, Rice, or Kerry.

Gore has no business being SOS.

The Republicans have permanently tainted Rice with the public. They will be in lockstep not voting for her, and the minute something goes wrong overseas, the Republicans will play the, "We told you so," card. They know what they're doing. Most of the public hasn't followed Rice's story. All they know is that she's 'incompetent, and is responsible for dead Americans.' Obama doesn't have time trying to win over the public with his nomination. 'Obama chose the woman who was responsible for killing innocent Americans, a tragedy that happened on his watch. Obama doesn't care about America.' This is how it's going to be played up. Anyone who is in anyone tied to Benghazi, rightly or wrongly, is tainted, and a liability.

Obama and the Dems need Kerry's seat.

by Anonymousreply 1011/23/2012

I'd love to see President Obama work with Al Gore, but I don't think Gore is in that space. He seems intent on having a private life, and maintaining his focus on one single issue, climate change, which is looming larger than ever now. I think his best role is to press the Administration and Congress to become more activist on the issue.

by Anonymousreply 1111/23/2012

Why are you still obsessed with this troll?

by Anonymousreply 1211/23/2012

Go ahead and laugh, but I actually think Bill Clinton would make an oustanding Secretary of State.

by Anonymousreply 1311/23/2012

In the tradition Condalezbo Rice, I think instead of giving the position to someone who failed at becoming president, we should give it to someone who failed totally at their job.

by Anonymousreply 1411/23/2012

Bill Clinton as Secretary of State.

He's the most qualified of any political figure on the scene today.

by Anonymousreply 1511/23/2012

How about Tipper Gore?

by Anonymousreply 1611/23/2012

Bill Clinton, with his knowledge, personal aura and force of personality really do bring something to the table. My question is after his heart issues whether he could take the grind of such constant travel and strain that the job entails nowadays. Everything is crisis management it seems. Jump on a plane, travel all over to Middle East trouble spots, long negotiation, back home, turn around again.

by Anonymousreply 1711/23/2012

I think Clinton would rather still be called Mr. President than Mr. Secretary. Also, Clinton would never work for Obama. He's done enough for Obama.

by Anonymousreply 1811/23/2012

Reshuffle: Panetta to SoS.

Big Fuck You to Republicans: Janet Reno to DoD!

by Anonymousreply 1911/23/2012

Andrew Cuomo was Clinton's HUD Secretary. Moving Cuomo to DoD or SoS would position him for 2016.

Hillary to Supreme Court.

Barney Frank to Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 2011/23/2012

hump

by Anonymousreply 2111/23/2012

*really does bring

by Anonymousreply 2311/23/2012

What would Cuomo bring to the DoD? Does he have any background for this?

by Anonymousreply 2411/23/2012

R22 i think you need to read your US Constitution a bit more closely.

by Anonymousreply 2511/23/2012

Obama steps down and Biden becomes President.

Hillary as President is an election issue.

r22, are you as simple as you appear or are you still getting freeper money to shill?

by Anonymousreply 2611/23/2012

Bill Clinton as Secretary of State. That will keep him out of Hillary's way while she runs for the Democratic nomination in 2016. She can unleash him during the convention.

by Anonymousreply 2711/23/2012

Bill is never going to take a demotion and be a President subservient to another President. Plus, he'd have to give up his speaking fees.

I may be wrong, but I believe that the only job an ex-President has taken is that of Supreme Court Justice.

by Anonymousreply 2811/23/2012

[quote]I may be wrong, but I believe that the only job an ex-President has taken is that of Supreme Court Justice.

John Quincy Adams served in the House after being president.

by Anonymousreply 2911/23/2012

Gore is a bore and not particularly respect. Bad idea.

by Anonymousreply 3011/23/2012

Andrew Johnson became a Senator after being President.

by Anonymousreply 3111/23/2012

James Hormel for SoS

Anita Hill for Supreme Court

by Anonymousreply 3211/23/2012

Bill Clinton is better NOW than he was even when he was President (and he was an awesome President).

He flew to NORTH KOREA and freed two hostages from Kim Jong-Il's clutches through sheer personality and diplomacy.

His popularity is at all time high and he's practically seen as a god in the eyes of liberals everywhere.

Of course he would be the perfect Secretary of State and would get much accomplished, but I just don't see it happening. An ex-President becoming SoS is like a step backwards for them. Plus I don't think Obama wants Clinton in his cabinet outshining him as Clinton is a spotlight hog.

It would be great if Clinton could be an adviser in some capacity though. This man is just too good to let go to waste.

by Anonymousreply 3311/23/2012

[quote]How about Obama steps down as president and Obama serves as secretary of state?

Actually, I could see Obama as SoS down the road. He'll still still be in his 50's so he has to do something, and (assuming he keeps it in tact), his reputation and popularity around the world is amazingly strong.

You would need to have one Hell of a strong President to keep Obama from overshadowing them though.

The other problem is security. You know Obama will have a gigantic bullseye on his back for the rest of his life, and I can't imagine the logistics in sending The Man Who Killed Osama Bin Laden on a trip to Pakistan.

by Anonymousreply 3411/23/2012

I actually think Obama's best bet is to choose a moderate Republican like John Huntsman for the role. Obama and Huntsman already have a good working relationship. Huntsman did a phenomenal job as the US Ambassador to China and was instrumental in the US's policy towards the "Asia Pivot".

It would also make Obama look bipartisan without having to compromise his liberal positions.

John Huntsman is a good, pragmatic choice and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 3511/23/2012

I don't think Bill's health is up to it.

He would be fantastic in the United Nations job. Imagine giving him that soapbox to preach from. It would be a boost for the image of the UN as an organization, too.

by Anonymousreply 3611/23/2012

I think Obama learned his lesson giving high profile to Republicans and Mormons with Huntsman.

Hormel would be FANTASTIC!

by Anonymousreply 3711/23/2012

Obama should let Clinton spearhead an economic summit or something.

by Anonymousreply 3811/23/2012

Choosing Huntsman would be a stroke of genius.

Clinton choosing William Cohen for his Secretary of Defense was one of his smarter moves. Clinton, although obviously polarizing, was great at his "Third Way" strategy.

Huntsman is as "RINO" as we're going to get. He wouldn't clash with Obama and would win Obama some bipartisan points.

by Anonymousreply 3911/23/2012

If we're going bipartisan, Richard Lugar would be a great choice. Not only would it allow Obama to appoint a Republican, it would be a real fuck-you to the Tea Party cunts who cost him re-election, and guys like McCain would fall in line behind him out of respect.

[quote]First elected to the Senate in 1976, he is the ranking member of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations and was its chairman from 1985 to 1987 and 2003 to 2007. Much of Lugar's work in the Senate is toward the dismantling of nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons around the world. Before his election to the United States Senate, Lugar served as mayor of Indianapolis, Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 4011/23/2012

Corey Booker for Secretary of the Closet!

by Anonymousreply 4111/23/2012

Long years ago I used to work for an elected oficial. He was a governor not famous, now dead. Rule number one is that you never appointed someone, especially a former elected official, to a cabinet level position to give them a pulpit to advance their own agenda, no matter how much you agreed with them.

It took a huge act of courage on Obama's part, and a huge amount of integrity on Hillary's part to make it work. I don't think Al Gore is at a point, because he believes so passionately in his cause, that he would take a subordinate position to anyone.

He already played that role once as Clinton's VP. He isn't going to be subordinate to another President, especially after 2000. I could see Obama asking Goreto serve as a Special Envoy, or putting him over at the UN, but I doubt either would happen. I don't think they are close or even particularly friendly.

by Anonymousreply 4211/23/2012

Here's another vote for secretary of the interior. Salazar is horrible, a major disappointment for progressives.

by Anonymousreply 4311/23/2012

Gore is a clown.

No one takes his ass seriously.

by Anonymousreply 4411/23/2012

Joe Lieberman for Ambassador to Antarctica

by Anonymousreply 4511/23/2012

Gore was cheated out of the Presidency.

On the other hand, Romney is a clown.

by Anonymousreply 4611/23/2012

lockbox

by Anonymousreply 4711/23/2012

Send Lieberman someplace more horrible than Antarctica. Maybe the Sudan, Liberia, someplace that isn't going to get any better in our lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 4811/23/2012

r47, I loved listening to all those Republican douche bags using that same phrase before the primaries.

Republicans made fun of it to no end in 2000 but in 2012 they were all for it.

The Republican Party has ceased to exist and has become some other entirely different entity.

by Anonymousreply 4911/23/2012

What about Dingell Norwood?

by Anonymousreply 5011/23/2012

[quote]Bill Clinton]'s practically seen as a god in the eyes of liberals everywhere.

Not in my house.

by Anonymousreply 5111/23/2012

Fortunately, r51, no one gives a shit about you.

by Anonymousreply 5211/23/2012

Any chance Ginsburg and Breyer retire so Obama can fill those positions with 40 year old liberals?

by Anonymousreply 5311/23/2012

Another vote for Huntsman for anything--STATE IS GOOD

by Anonymousreply 5411/23/2012

These Justices sure live a long time. Why can't Scalia or Thomas drop suddenly? I'm sure years of spewing hatred is taxing on the heart valves...

All we need is for one of those fucks to drop during Obama's term and we'd have a liberal court for the next 30+ years.

by Anonymousreply 5511/23/2012

What happened to Howard Dean? He'd make a great SoS.

by Anonymousreply 5611/23/2012

Jesse Jackson Senior would be the best Secretary of State this nation ever had.

by Anonymousreply 5711/23/2012

Former VP Gore and former President Clinton will not serve as anyone's Secretary of State.

Ambassador Rice is seen by most of the public as having been unfairly attacked by a couple of grumpy old senators. The President can nominate her if he wants to and he has the votes to make it stick. If Miss Lindsey and Mr. Get Off My Lawn want to try a filibuster, good luck to them. Oh, and their new third amigo, Kelly "the Cunt" Ayotte.

Kerry - I don't know. He's fine as SoS, DoD, almost anything, really. He's also fine holding on to that seat in MA.

If it's a Republican it has to be one without presidential ambitions. As we saw with Huntsman this year, Republicans cannot be seen to have "consorted" with the enemy by taking a job in his administration. They get crucified in the primaries.

by Anonymousreply 5811/23/2012

R8 = fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 5911/23/2012

r9

Well both Hillary and Gore ARE losers.

Look if you try to be witty and funny make sure you actually are doing so.

It's bad enough when you have a Freeper on here, but when you try to criticize him and he's actually RIGHT?

Well that makes you look really stupid. Far more than anything anyone can say.

by Anonymousreply 6011/24/2012

Bill Clinton would not be a good choice as SoS. He is not as widely admired outside of the US as inside it and there are too many issues raised by the activities of his Clinton Global Initiative. Clinton would also not be eligible for the UN job, whichever one r36 was referring to, precisely because it is not a "soap box", the US is a permanent member of the UN security council with a veto and its international role is still widely seen as negative or as too powerful in the rest of the world. Besides, the UN SG role is not about forcing one's views on the rest of the world but about being a behind-the-scenes diplomat.

Susan Rice would be awful as SoS, she has little weight or gravitas, seems to have a simplistic perspective on things, is too much of an advocate of "intervention", and she hasn't particularly impressed outside of certain Washington Demoract circles. Same with John Kerry (as seen outside the US). Someone like Jon Huntsman makes more sense.

by Anonymousreply 6111/24/2012

Dana Milbank of the Washington Post is confident that Susan Rice does NOT have the votes to be confirmed SOS.

He said recently that many Dems don't even like her.

by Anonymousreply 6211/24/2012

Personally, I think it would be foolhardy to take anyone who has a Senate seat.

by Anonymousreply 6311/24/2012

I don't trust Huntsman. He is too self righteous and he would definitely turn on Obama at some point and publically disagree with him.

I am concerned about the entire cabinet, not just State. If Obama loses Janet Napolitano, or Sibelius, or Panetta, that will be a heavy loss.

He's got to replace Geithner and practically his entire Economic team as well as his National Security Team. That's a tall order.

Thank God he has enough votes in the Senate to get them confirmed and he won't have to go thru as much crap as he did in 2009.

by Anonymousreply 6411/24/2012

R61 is dead-on.

by Anonymousreply 6511/24/2012
Need more help? Click Here.