Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anybody go to a top arts school like Julliard?

I go to Julliard. I wanted it so much. I got it. I hate it! These bitches here are so pretentious and crazy!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7911/25/2012

I have a relative who went there, she would have fit in perfectly from your description of it. She never made it, and had to go into a different field than what she'd planned.

by Anonymousreply 111/22/2012

R1.

"These bitches here are so pretentious and crazy!!!"

Please expand and clarify.

by Anonymousreply 211/22/2012

my cello teacher gives me good head

by Anonymousreply 311/22/2012

I used to work with a guy whose parents met at Juilliard. Neither one of them pursued careers in the arts, and they actually turned into white trash (long periods of unemployment...alcohol problems...money problems).

by Anonymousreply 411/22/2012

are you a dancer, OP?

by Anonymousreply 511/22/2012

Well, all the other students think you are pretentious and crazy, OP!

The question you should be asking is not "Does this experience meet my unrealistic expectations", but: "Am I learning anything?".

by Anonymousreply 611/22/2012

Please...The OP doesn't go to Juilliard, or he/she would know how to spell the name of the school correctly. Probably goes to some second rate school like Tisch and got rejected from top notch schools; or never had any talent , but dances in tights to Liza songs in mom's basement.

by Anonymousreply 711/22/2012

I was housing a Julliard drama student. He is very impressed with himself.

by Anonymousreply 811/22/2012

Is it really so hard to spell Juilliard? Damn.

by Anonymousreply 911/22/2012

R7 Should we be looking for OP here at NYADA?

by Anonymousreply 1011/22/2012

I did! and I'm gonna live forever!!

by Anonymousreply 1111/22/2012

I did, but you don't OP. Sorry you were rejected.

by Anonymousreply 1211/22/2012

I auditioned. Got called back. Didn't get accepted. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 1311/22/2012

"Anybody go to a top arts school like Julliard?"

well, it is spelled JUILLIARD, and I give classes there now, about twice a semester. I did do a year there in undergrad, an exchange of sorts with the teacher I studied with in cleveland, so yes, I did go to a top arts school, several. still, that is no key to success, I'm at the top of my field, am adjunct at Juilliard and it is still a rough career to lead.

by Anonymousreply 1411/22/2012

Any sense of pomposity you are getting from a young person going to a hot shot school is pretty much par for the course or your projection or both.

18 year olds who go to Harvard or Princeton think they are hot shit also, Julliard is just kind of the acting school extension of that sort of thing.

I was in group 14 and in the 80s they used to tell us all the time how many people auditioned for our slots etc. We believed it and thought we were such hot shit. When we graduated most of us were signed to agencies, a few werent. This was when Julliard was riding on the reputation of the early groups that had Kevin Kline, Bill Hurt etc, Spacey was a couple of years ahead of me but didn't finish.

Anyway within a few years half of my class had faded out of the business and by 2000 I think only 4 of us were still active in the business.

don't feel bad r13, someone who worked in admissions for Julliard in the late 60s early 70s told me that they didn't accept Meryl Streep either, this of course was before she went to Yale School of Drama.

I was also told by this person that in the last 20 years or so the school has gotten to be a much kinder gentler place that it was in the 70s and 80s. Talking the drama division only here, don't know about the other schools.

Julliard has a better track record in terms of people getting work after graduating than many other schools but many never book a single job. Accepting people into a program isn't an exact science of course and talented people always fall through the cracks and some not so talented people get through.

by Anonymousreply 1511/22/2012

[quote]Julliard is just kind of the acting school extension of that sort of thing.

acting? isn't the music school, including the prep division, larger?

by Anonymousreply 1611/22/2012

this is r15, I edited my post without being attentive and realize something doesn't make sense.

The 6th paragraph should read

I recently worked with an actress on an episodic who just graduated from Julliard Drama Division last year which is now like group 40 something.

This same person told me Julliard is a much kinder gentler place than it was in the 70s and 80s....

thanks for your attention to this highly important matter

r15

by Anonymousreply 1711/22/2012

r15 here, Julliard is best known for the music division but in the late 60s they started a Drama division and for many years it was considered THE school to go to.

Yale being the other

by Anonymousreply 1811/22/2012

Yes, I'm aware of that, the dance school is likewise notable.

by Anonymousreply 1911/22/2012

What are some other high caliber schools that should be considered for a talented musician (voice and violin)? How does Berklee compare?

by Anonymousreply 2011/22/2012

Berkeley is strictly jazz and pop, but very highly esteemed.

Indiana has the largest music school in the entire world, so lots of great things come out of it (like TONS of opera), but that could easily get you lost in the shuffle.

Other well known and respected conservatories are:

New England

Mannes in NYC

Curtis in Philly, probably the smallest so the most exclusive

Eastman in Rochester

Cleveland Institute

San Francisco Conservatory

Universities with great music departments include:

Yale

the forementioned Indiana

McGill in Montreal

Northwestern in Chicago

Rice in Houston

and many others. It all depends on many factors. At this point in history I'd suggest a youngster to simply get into the best school that hands them the most cash and financial aide, work like the dickens and go to grad school at a school that does likewise, keeping an eye on the rapidly changing field of music and what you want from it. The big three aren't what they were 50 years ago: Symphony, Ballet and Opera. everything is much smaller scale.

by Anonymousreply 2111/22/2012

I had some friends who graduated from Yale Drama School, Acting, and the toughest year for them had to be the year AFTER they graduated. Everyone in their class kept in touch, of course, frequently as they were all in NYC, and they were still competing with each other just like they did in drama school, especially the actresses. Talk about frenemies.

I think all drama schools fuck with your mind but I guess for actors they're a rite of passage. It's the kind of thing you could only convince people in their early 20s that they need to do.

by Anonymousreply 2211/22/2012

Excuse me, OP, but if you're speaking of the music conservatory at Lincoln Center in Manhattan, it's called JUILLIARD. I took my Master's Degree there several years ago. .. I never heard of Julliard. If you go there and don't like it, you should drop out.

by Anonymousreply 2311/22/2012

DL and fangurl fave Luke Macfarlane went to Juilliard.

by Anonymousreply 2411/22/2012

I went to Juilliard. Stop talking shit about my institution RIGHT NOW! Who do you think you are? How dare you!

by Anonymousreply 2511/22/2012

Isn't Oberlin supposed to be a good music school?

by Anonymousreply 2611/22/2012

hilarious that you acting students who claim to have gone to Juilliard don't even know how to spell the school's name.

by Anonymousreply 2711/22/2012

Didn't all the successful people who went to Juilliard drop out?

by Anonymousreply 2811/22/2012

I work for a symphony (not a musiciian); several of them went to Juilliard. Some are very nice and accomplished; others, their shit doesn't stink.

by Anonymousreply 2911/22/2012

[quote]Isn't Oberlin supposed to be a good music school?

OOOPS! I knew I forgot one, "the Con" at Oberlin college is notably famous. Lots of musicians have gotten their undergrads there.

by Anonymousreply 3011/22/2012

I don't know about now, but at one point the ballpark percentage of Julliard music students being professional musicians was around 27%.

Not great, considering music is probably Julliard's most marketable major (because it translates internationally AND has many possible contexts).

R20, Eastman School of Music is great, and pretty much all of the students I know who went there (and I know well around 50) got in to top graduate programs for their specialties. I'd say about half of them still get paid for something music-related. Most of them are still playing and trying, though.

by Anonymousreply 3111/22/2012

Northwestern's drama school is arguably more prestigious than its music school.

by Anonymousreply 3211/22/2012

Why do you all assume that OP is misspelling Juilliard? Maybe OP is misspelling Curtis.

by Anonymousreply 3311/22/2012

[quote] How does Berklee compare?

I think that Berklee compares to Julliard pretty well. Neither teaches spelling. Or exists.

by Anonymousreply 3411/22/2012

*SNAP*

by Anonymousreply 3511/22/2012

r34 Before you make an ass outta yourself--try Google and cut your snark 50%.

by Anonymousreply 3611/22/2012

[quote]At this point in history I'd suggest a youngster to simply get into the best school that hands them the most cash and financial aide, work like the dickens and go to grad school at a school that does likewise, keeping an eye on the rapidly changing field of music and what you want from it.

Okay, the antecedant of "them" is "a youngster," which is singular, so "them" should have been singular as well. "Financial aid" does not have an E at the end of it And when did "you" enter into the equation?

Is anyone expected to take suggestions about education from R21?

by Anonymousreply 3711/22/2012

Berklee is a relatively famous jazz and pop school in Boston, although I don't know why you'd go to school for that.

Berkeley is the UC school in Northern California.

by Anonymousreply 3811/22/2012

R32. Clris, as an alum you should know that NU doesn't have a "drama school.". It does, however, have an excellent Theatre Department housed. In its School of Commnications.

by Anonymousreply 3911/22/2012

I want

by Anonymousreply 4111/22/2012

Drama school is so fucking stupid. If you're going to act, those are the years (18-22) when you need to be auditioning in LA or NYC. They're basically casting you based on the fact of whether you have a good face or not and don't give a shit whether you went to school or not. The UK has it right in sending kids to acting school when they're teenagers and then shipping them over to Los Angeles once they're done to start building their career young so Americans will never be able to compete with them.

Same with music school. You either know your theory and can play your instrument by that age or you don't/can't.

Everyone I know personally who is an actor/musician making money doing those things (and I mean big money, such as tv, film, songwriting, producing, not just barely scrapping by by playing at bars) didn't go to school for it. Education after high school is such as scam unless you're in engineer, sciences or some of the liberal arts where your future career is dependent on your degree. Being locked into a four-year program for the "fine arts" is completely bogus.

by Anonymousreply 4211/22/2012

Kids these days can't spell ennything.

by Anonymousreply 4311/22/2012

...want to know

by Anonymousreply 4411/22/2012

I need to learn some

by Anonymousreply 4511/22/2012

r15 are you Thomas Gibson... he was in that year....if not tell us stories!!

(oops and hee hee I did leave out the "i"... sorry I was looped out on two ativan and an ambien)

by Anonymousreply 4611/23/2012

drugs are hard to mix with counterpoint class

by Anonymousreply 4711/23/2012

That is completely not true of the classical music, dance, or theater scene which requires actual talent, training, and practice r42. That's exactly what Juilliard and other conservatories teach.

Your concept of how the business works is dead wrong.

Yes, we're all well aware that LA is a soulless hellhole full of talentless faces that wouldn't know how to act or sing their way out of a shoebox. No, it doesn't require any training or talent to become a "star" in television, movies, or the pop music scene.

The business doesn't work the same for everyone. Everyone has their own path to take.

by Anonymousreply 4811/23/2012

Thanks to those who responded to my query about other good schools. I was referring to the Berklee College of Music in Boston; I should've been more explicit about that since I know most people refer to UC Berkeley simply as "Berkeley," so it's not surprising I looked spelling challenged. ;)

by Anonymousreply 4911/23/2012

[quote]he UK has it right in sending kids to acting school when they're teenagers and then shipping them over to Los Angeles once they're done to start building their career young so Americans will never be able to compete with them.

I don't think that is true. Lets of British Actors go to University then Drama school and then start careers at like 25.

by Anonymousreply 5011/23/2012

DL fave Macfarlane interviewed

by Anonymousreply 5111/23/2012

[quote]They're basically casting you based on the fact of whether you have a good face or not and don't give a shit whether you went to school or not.

Absolutely. Actors like Channing Tatum, Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth never went to conservatory and became huge stars because Hollywood liked their physicality. At the end of the day, they need a handsome face and tight body for their packaging. That's what success in Hollywood is. That's why you end up with drama school graduates like Manganiello and Bomer taking off their clothes in thankless roles in "Magic Mike."

by Anonymousreply 5211/23/2012

Also a lot of the most successful young actors began acting professionally as children and teenagers (Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Tobey Maguire, Jake Gyllenhaal, Natalie Portman, Kiera Knightley, Kristen Stewart, Josh Hutcherson, Jennifer Lawrence) so when they're 18-22 they've already had years of professional experience and industry connections and are primed for those youth roles. Jennifer Lawrence is 22, has two major film franchises under her belt and could conceivably win a Best Actress Academy Award this year; if she'd gone to drama school, she'd be a nobody today. Youth is EVERYTHING in Hollywood.

Really a more surefire way to acting success than drama school is to have an ambitious stage parent or a parent with industry connections.

by Anonymousreply 5311/23/2012

Again, you're strictly talking about Hollywood, and that's not what Juilliard was created to supply actors for.

by Anonymousreply 5411/23/2012

I shared a locker with a Julliard ballerina who came to my school for academic classes. She was cool.

by Anonymousreply 5511/23/2012

Juilliard graduate here. I remember the cold mausoleum of a building, and having to fight all the asian students for a rehearsal room. Very competitive. I hear it's better now. I also had some great professors.

As a working musician, I never felt that Juilliard gave me an edge over anyone else, but I did make great connections at school that helped me in my career.

by Anonymousreply 5611/23/2012

Kudos to OP for using the words "top" and "Juilliard" in the same sentence, without a hint of irony.

by Anonymousreply 5711/23/2012

The building was a prison, but they've done what they can with redesign, and the third and fourth floors have really opened up. The new rehearsal and studio spaces are beautiful.

I do miss the plaza that connected the campus to Lincoln Center proper, though.

by Anonymousreply 5811/23/2012

I totally agree, some plusses with the redesign but also a minus point or two

by Anonymousreply 5911/23/2012

I worked on a couple of shows in the Drama Division. The acting students were very nice; the faculty/staff were [bold]CRAAAAZY[/bold], as in impossible to work with.

by Anonymousreply 6011/23/2012

in the 80's I wanted to see a concert at Julliard that included the original version of 'Rhapsody in Bue', which was for me the theme song of NYC...

...but I didn't have the money for a ticket to the sold-out show, so I called up Julliard to ask where the door to the green room was because I needed to deliver a tux. I dressed nicely and in a suit bag I placed a tux I had bought at a thrift store years ago and waltzed into the school.

a security guard directed me to the green room and I found my way to the auditorium and waited out the time. When people started coming in I moved to the men's room to wait until the bells and decided to grab whatever empty seat there was.

it was an amazing concert, and two things really stuck with me: the sight of a very old woman being lead to the piano to play the solo, and the very uncomfortable feeling I had that at any moment I'd be yanked out of my seat.

at intermission I used the men's room and returned to find the rightful owner of my seat (she had arrived after the start of the program so they held her back until intermission) and I found another empty seat.

by Anonymousreply 6111/23/2012

What about art schools-which ones are the good ones?

Parsons, RISD...?

Any experiences with smaller atelier style academies?

by Anonymousreply 6211/23/2012

[quote]a security guard directed me to the green room and I found my way to the auditorium and waited out the tim

with the remodeling the security is MUCH stricter.

by Anonymousreply 6311/23/2012

R42 does make a legitimate point about professional acting. No one who actually wants to support himself in film, TV, and even theatre should begin their career at 25. By that age, they should have paid experience, representation, and a network of contacts.

The competition is as brutal as ever, and youth and attractiveness open more doors than expensive academic degrees.

by Anonymousreply 6411/23/2012

OP, you absolutely do not go to Juilliard. Begone with you.

by Anonymousreply 6511/24/2012

The list of famous actors who have gone to Juilliard is long and impressive. Please don't tell us honing your craft is a waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 6711/24/2012

R66, Meryl made her professional stage debut well before she was 25, and done voice-over work as well before breaking into films.

(BTW, the M shit is a little tired.)

by Anonymousreply 6811/24/2012

What did Meryl do before age 25 r68. She went to Vassar then to Yale Drama so she had to be at least 24-25 to do 7 years of higher education. Her first New York credit I can find is when she was 27 in the Henry V.

by Anonymousreply 6911/24/2012

Yes! Start young! That always works out the best!!!

by Anonymousreply 7011/24/2012

You're overlooking most Hwood performers are essentially child prostitutes, manufactured by the "good" people at Disney, marketed as jailbait, enabled by trash parents, then hardened into schizoid little terrors that know how to hit marks and hide tracks. It's MK Ultra/Project Monarch shit. Drama school is another world that produces actors, actors who may or may not become successful. Comparing them to "child performers" doesn't work.

by Anonymousreply 7111/24/2012

there's a big difference between being a Hollywood 'thing' and being a legitimate, respected actor. I'd take the latter any day.

by Anonymousreply 7211/24/2012

[quote]there's a big difference between being a Hollywood 'thing' and being a legitimate, respected actor.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Jennifer Lawrence is 22 and, after this year, will be able to star in any movie or theatre project that she WANTS. Your "legitimate" actor just out of Juilliard will be happy to get a callback for "Christmas Story: The Musical."

Here's the thing: the august, ivory-tower theatre world of "All About Eve" NO LONGER EXISTS. Broadway merely regurgitates Hollywood's flotsum for its musicals, and, if they deign to put on a play, they want film and TV actors to star in it so the producers can make money. At the end of the day, who cares if you can do Shakespeare or Ibsen? Nobody. But if your name can sell a ticket, then you've achieved something.

by Anonymousreply 7411/24/2012

I wouldn't cross the street to see a show starring jennifer Lawrence, r74. I love Shakespeare and Ibsen. There are thousands upon thousands of people who make a living acting whose names you've never heard of before. Just because your idea of culture is "The Hunger Games" doesn't mean everyone's is.

Intelligent audiences have always been in the minority, and there's always been popular trash. "Moby Dick" wasn't a bestseller in its day. "50 shades of gray" has outsold it many thousands of times over. Beethoven's symphonies were heard by a relatively tiny handful of people during his lifetime, and more people have probably heard Britney Spears. So. What.

Eat all the crap you want, r74. Some of us still enjoy finer things, and we don't even mind that it sends you into a queeny rage. So there.

by Anonymousreply 7511/24/2012

[quote]Jennifer Lawrence is 22 and, after this year, will be able to star in any movie or theatre project that she WANTS

and yet I've never heard of her

by Anonymousreply 7611/24/2012

[quote]Jennifer Lawrence is 22 and, after this year, will be able to star in any movie or theatre project that she WANTS

as long as the role requires a fat girl

by Anonymousreply 7711/24/2012

If you can't spell this top art school right not just once but TWICE, you never been to Juilliard.

by Anonymousreply 7811/25/2012

You need a purse to get into Juilliard?

by Anonymousreply 7911/25/2012
Need more help? Click Here.